Options

Say something nice about a villain

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's been awhile since we've had a thread about historical villains and infamous bad people. Corrupt leaders of men, world-class forgers and thieves, genocidal idealists with a vision - as despicable as these sorts of people were, many led remarkable lives and did interesting things with their genius/power/talent. If we can be mature about this, we can discuss whether or not a villain had any bright spots during their time in the public eye. That is, bright spots that were drowned out by their heinous acts and aren't really well-known by John Q. Public. This thread is not meant to pardon a villain's crimes. Seriously. This thread is meant to discuss if these villains were as inhuman as our textbooks make them out to be. Feel free to discuss fictional villains, too. Only discussing real villains might get depressing.

Mao Zedong - even though the Chinese people still label him as a revolutionary patriot and have his body enshrined, he comes across as incompetent in Western textbooks. The squabbling Chinese civil war in the 1930s, The Great Leap Forward, Hundred Flowers, the Cultural Revolution - at one point, Chinese peasants were dismantling parts of the Great Wall to use as concrete for modern buildings with the government's blessing. Executions were rampant. Food shortages were common. Counterproductive reforms. So what did Chairman Mao do correctly? He did a good job of leading Communist troops during the Long March, when he was evading the Chinese government during the civil war, and he later planned a few successful raids on Japanese camps in China. Mao made China more industrialized, too, dragging the nation out of its early 20th century traditional agrarian ways, which is no small feat considering China held a quarter of the world's population then. He just had to step over 70 million corpses to do it.

Bill Mason - I'm reading his biography now. He ended up stealing $35 million from burglaries during his career, his targets usually rich celebrities. He wasn't terribly greedy, though. More of a thrill seeker. He stole an Olympic gold medal from Johnny Weissmuller but Mason mailed the medal back after his conscience got the better of him.

emnmnme on

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Say what you want, but there is no concrete proof Glen Beck raped and murdered that girl in 1990.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is apparently evidence suggesting that Elizabeth Bathory was more a victim of gossip by enemies than actually the killer of hundreds of young women.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    German doctors were the first to discover a link between smoking and lung cancer, and the Nazi party led the first public anti-smoking campaign in history.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Going fictional: Jafar was awesome. He knew what he wanted and had everything planned, hell, even the hero showing up didn't inconvenience him. If he knew the consequences of genieism there'd be no Aladdin 2.

So...really, Aladdin is the villain here. Because...seriously.

Aladdin 2.

Sipex on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sauron looked good in black.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is Godwin-bait if I've ever seen it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Might as well bring up Hitler right off the bat.
    He was the driving force behind creating the Volkswagen.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

We already got the anti-smoking Nazi bit in. Should we mention Hitler and the trains?

Nonononono - good things.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it wasn't for Pol Pot we'd have never have gotten Holiday in Cambodia.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Genghisfinal.png

Genghis Khan was so cool.

Cinders on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stalin defeated Hitler.

Henry II laid the foundations for the existing legal system of the UK and the United States.

Oliver Cromwell let Jews live in England openly for the first time in almost 400 years.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

We're supposed to be saying nice things about villains.
    I kid, I kid. Volkswagens are cute little toy car things.

Drez on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

We already got the anti-smoking Nazi bit in. Should we mention Hitler and the trains?

That was Mussolini (trains on time). And, they actually weren't.

Hitler and his ilk also developed the autobahn which inspired Eisenhower to create the US highway system.

Thus ensuring our reliance on oil for years to come.

Eisenhower, you son of a bitch...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    El Jeffe has excellent taste in avatars.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Joker is a very creative individual, and Batman should be using that as a way to turn him in to a model citizen. By throwing him in to the hostile environment of Arkham Asylum every time he messes up, it only makes him go deeper in to madness.

That place has a horrible recidivism rate.

(they can be fictional, right?)

MKR on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Judas hadn't tongued Jesus, the whole sacrifical lamb deal wouldn't have happened and everyone would be in HELLLLLLL!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Judas hadn't tongued Jesus, the whole sacrifical lamb deal wouldn't have happened and everyone would be in HELLLLLLL!

For some reason, the phrase "tongued Jesus" disturbs me.

Drez on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I believe there's a theory that the part about Judas' role was mistranslated. What King James describes as "betrayed" could more accurately be "handed over". This also leads to speculation that Jesus actually asked Judas to hand him over, so that the scripture would be fulfilled.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    deowolf wrote: »

That was Mussolini (trains on time). And, they actually weren't.

Hitler and his ilk also developed the autobahn which inspired Eisenhower to create the US highway system.

Thus ensuring our reliance on oil for years to come.

Eisenhower, you son of a bitch...

Right, wrong fascist. Sorry, I was just playing with the myth.

As for Eisenhower, the other story about how the highway system came up (the one on placards on I-80) is that he got the idea for it as a junior officer traveling cross-country in an Army convoy prior to WWI (iirc), thus leading many young officers in the American military to believe that no matter what chaps their asses today, someday they may be able to implement changes.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dr. Doom provides free medical care for all Latverians.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lex Luthor is an attractive man

Arch on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Benedict Arnold is often treated as the biggest villain of the American revolution, but he was one of the few competent generals that the American colonies had at the beginning of the war, and the war might have been lost without him. He also got completely dicked over by the continental congress.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Lex Luthor is an attractive man
    He probably would have been a half-decent president if it weren't for that whole kryptonite-meteor-to-kill-Superman thing.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, if we can go fictional:

As dictators go, the Emperor was pretty good. The Empire kept order and patrolled space, which allowed commerce and trade to continue. Sure, there was repression, but I doubt the average citizen was all that oppressed. It was a dictatorship that was more similar to ancient Rome than North Korea.

The Rebellion, on the other hand, basically kicked over the entire apple-cart without any real plan on what to do after the Empire was defeated. Post-Endor, the galaxy probably devolved into a bunch of mini-states run by local warlords.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I was always under the impression that the world would actually be perfect if Doctor Doom was in charge of everything.

Karl on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darth Vader made sure graduates of the Imperial Officer Training program were always in high demand.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    George Lucas made some good movies 20-30 years ago.

Steve Jobs beat cancer.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Karl wrote: »

I was always under the impression that the world would actually be perfect if Doctor Doom was in charge of everything.
    I think that was actually a story arc in the Avengers or Fantastic Four. Doom takes over the world using a mind control device or something, and it turns out that his rule is pretty positive and benign. Some of the good guys wonder whether it might not be better to leave things as is, rather than going back to pre-Doom world.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Well, if we can go fictional:

As dictators go, the Emperor was pretty good. The Empire kept order and patrolled space, which allowed commerce and trade to continue. Sure, there was repression, but I doubt the average citizen was all that oppressed. It was a dictatorship that was more similar to ancient Rome than North Korea.

The Rebellion, on the other hand, basically kicked over the entire apple-cart without any real plan on what to do after the Empire was defeated. Post-Endor, the galaxy probably devolved into a bunch of mini-states run by local warlords.
    Actually the galaxy did fairly well for a while, until it got beaten on by the Vong and the dickbag Bothan in charge lost his mind.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I initiated diplomatic relations with China and started the EPA. I also contemplated that the liberal elite faked the picture of the burned Vietnamese girl and broke a number of laws, which unfortunately makes me liberal by today's standards.

override367 on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bowser may always be kidnapping princesses (okay mostly one princess) left and right, but he's at least fairly gentlemanly about the whole affair. I get the feeling he's just kinda lonely.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Benedict Arnold is often treated as the biggest villain of the American revolution, but he was one of the few competent generals that the American colonies had at the beginning of the war, and the war might have been lost without him. He also got completely dicked over by the continental congress.

He also has hilarious (from an American perspective) stuff about him in British Museums. Because from the British perspective he was all loyal and whatnot. It's amusing.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Karl wrote: »

Doctor Doom has read the list on being an evil overlord so of course he'd actually make a pretty good dictator. He tends to fuck up sometimes though (I blame the cocaine)

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Bowser may always be kidnapping princesses (okay mostly one princess) left and right, but he's at least fairly gentlemanly about the whole affair. I get the feeling he's just kinda lonely.

and his minions love him.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nixon was a pretty decent president.

And whenever it comes up people always end up resorting to arguing "no no no, he only did all those awesome things so that he could avoid doing these other hypothetical things that would have been TEN TIMES RADICOOLER!!!"

Which as may be, he still implemented a surprising amount of awesome considering his reputation.

**edit: also he was the coolest muppet in that political muppet show I barely remember from the late 80's.

Second coolest if you count triceratops riding cowboy Regan with superman's powers from the Genesis video.

Galahad on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    George W. Bush.

Neoconservatism gets a lot of shit. However, I feel like its heart is in the right place. Neocons are right that the world would be a better place if more countries were democracies, and if individuals had more basic freedoms. They are also right in that America should be using our power to spread freedom and democracy. Where they went wrong were the means to do this.

So, in this sense, I feel like Bush's neoconservative was much more forgivable than past American attempts at imperialism, in particular Manifest Destiny—which was morally indistinguishable from Nazism—but also our "anti-Communism" during the Cold War, where defeating communism was more important than actually spreading freedom and democracy.

Also, perhaps it's premature to conclude this, but Bush in his second term did try to fix the Iraq War in a more or less rational, non-ideological way. He must have realized, at least partially, the extent of his administration's incompetence.

Bush's incompetence—combined with his simplistic, childish, fundamentalist ideology—are what make him a "villain," but I'm not actually prepared to say he's a bad person. Clearly he was in over his head.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I was going to mention that, but of course, it's "sort of"

Porsche had the idea for years. Hitler merely capitulated on Porche's ideas and made it happen. (building the factory, the KdF-savers program, etc). But the real post-war VW was built by the British.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I believe there's a theory that the part about Judas' role was mistranslated. What King James describes as "betrayed" could more accurately be "handed over". This also leads to speculation that Jesus actually asked Judas to hand him over, so that the scripture would be fulfilled.

You've just explained the whole premise of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I was going to mention that, but of course, it's "sort of"

Porsche had the idea for years. Hitler merely capitulated on Porche's ideas and made it happen. (building the factory, the KdF-savers program, etc). But the real post-war VW was built by the British.

Yeah, he didn't build it, or design or anything, but he was like, "this should happen" and he put in place a lot of the stuff that made it possible.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png