As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Gaming White Whale

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I own Symphony of the Night. I love Symphony of the Night. I put down Symphony of the Night. I have not beaten Symphony of the Night.

I should start that up again. Dunno if I should start over or pick up on my old save. Probably start over since I've completely forgotten the layout of the place.

Like so many others as well, Okami. I bought a used PS2 for it. Played it for 10-15 hours, then moved onto other fair. I think I got a little tired of the fights, but it's all oh so pretty.

Gim on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragon Age. I picked it up day one, absolutely love the talky bits, absolutely cannot get into the combat. Combat is either a cakewalk or I have to micromanage every sword swing and even then it doesn't matter because that bitch bard will just run up to the biggest baddie and die, but I can't stop using her because I totally want to put my dick in her accent. I've started the game three times, this latest with a handy build guide from gamefaqs that swears that I'll have a powerful character from level one, but I just keep getting into situations where the incoming damage is greater than my ability to heal. I'm actually happy to hear that DA2 is going to be closer to Mass Effect in gameplay... it suits me far, far better.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    Koopa SoupKoopa Soup Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sadly, leaving Pikmin at the last boss still bothers me over all the others. The game wasn't even mine and I don't have a gamecube. That last boss was so frustrating, I have no idea what I was doing wrong.

Koopa Soup on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Good god I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I raged at that game as a child. Oh, I became quite excellent at it and always had fun.

Until the final boss. That freaking giant robot-mech had me stumped as a child. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how many lives and continues I had, Robotnik always beat me. That robo-Sonic just before him was a piece of cake, an annoyance whose pattern I had utterly mastered and often took my rage out upon. But Robotnik himself never fell. My worst defeat I still recall quite clearly, I had something like 25 lives and a ton of continues (well, I don't remember the numbers, just that it was a lot). I had all the emeralds. I had played a flawless game. Then that fat goose-faced goosing goose of a goose cooked my ass with his giant freaking pitchfork hands and his big fat ugly feet and his stupid dumbface exploding robots.

I finally beat him roughly a decade after Sonic 2 came out playing as Knuckles in the Sonic 2 & Knuckles connection thing. Yeah, seriously. It's the only time I've beaten him, ever. In my entire life. I have since sworn off Sonic 2 for the longest time because fuck you, Robotnik-Mech.

I had a similar experience, although I never even got past Wing Fortress Zone as a kid.

A greater source of trauma was Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1. D: The music man, the MUSIC.

But I beat both recently, so white whales no longer. :D

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Metatrad wrote: »
    The Master cups in F-Zero GX. I think I've only ever beaten one of them. Havent looked at my file in a while. 2 of them I'm pretty sure I finished in 2nd place multiple times and then almost crushed my controller in frustration.

So, while it's one of my favorite games ever, and probably the game I clocked the most time on with my Gamecube, I've still never seen those goddamn fucking AX tracks. It would almost be worth getting a Gameshark or whatever the GC equivelant is just to see them.

Make yourself a custom car called "Super Horse-Z".

Body: Sky Horse
    Cockpit: Super Lynx
    Booster: Triple-Z

Have fun finishing your races 10 seconds ahead of everyone else with ease.

You're welcome. 8-)

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    I own Symphony of the Night. I love Symphony of the Night. I put down Symphony of the Night. I have not beaten Symphony of the Night.
    I should start that up again. Dunno if I should start over or pick up on my old save. Probably start over since I've completely forgotten the layout of the place.
    I get to the inverted castle and stop playing. That's where the level design turns from mildly evil to full-on abusing-your-control-limitations sadistic and I lose interest.

Glal on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can one-credit Puzzle Bobble 1, 2 and 3 but I've never been able to do super expert mode of 4. I tried a lot. For many years. The colours that the levels are made of are just too mean. I've come close. I also bought the Wiiware version of Puzzle Bobble and have not yet been able to one-credit it. Also been very close. I usually go up the right side but the other day I went left and found those boards to be a lot easier. Most of the levels are fine anyway. There's just a couple in which you're completely at the mercy of what colour you're given so sometimes it's pretty much impossible. May do it one day. Who knows?

One thing I won't ever do is complete Goldeneye on N64. I don't think I ever beat the level where you have to protect Natalia while she's hacking the laptop or something. Just couldn't do it. I tried so many times. But the enemies always spawned in different places and started taking more than one headshot on the highest difficulty. And she'd just get murdered and I would lose. My two little bros both did it many times. I completely mastered Perfect Dark and they both reckon it was much harder. Dunno what happened there.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    Metatrad wrote: »
    The Master cups in F-Zero GX. I think I've only ever beaten one of them. Havent looked at my file in a while. 2 of them I'm pretty sure I finished in 2nd place multiple times and then almost crushed my controller in frustration.

So, while it's one of my favorite games ever, and probably the game I clocked the most time on with my Gamecube, I've still never seen those goddamn fucking AX tracks. It would almost be worth getting a Gameshark or whatever the GC equivelant is just to see them.

Make yourself a custom car called "Super Horse-Z".

Body: Sky Horse
    Cockpit: Super Lynx
    Booster: Triple-Z

Have fun finishing your races 10 seconds ahead of everyone else with ease.

You're welcome. 8-)

Sonic Phantom is an awesome car too, and it is a standard car. I went through the masters with that really nicely. F-zero GX is a wonderfull racer. Tackling the rivals is always good, too!

My white whale is probably Baldurs Gate 1&2. I have started and played through parts of 1 several times, but I always loose interest after some time, why I do not know, and I do not want to start BG 2 before finishing nr 1.

Luiane on
    Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but Ocarina of Time.

I never had an N64, put down the GC remake in favour of something else and never picked it up. I plan on playing it properly when I get the 3DS.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    i never beat Super Mario Galaxy

got really far into it, picking up every star, and then, pffft, interest died

dunno why

also, as far as game bosses go, i spend ungodly amounts of time playing Wild ARMs: 2nd Ignition (not a very good game, by the by), and was still never even able to inconvenience the superbosses Angolmois and Ragu o' Ragula

they taunt me to this day

Rust on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Judge Dredd on the Mega Drive.

End of game bosses were a total nightmare, and once you died, you lost all your gear, which made killing them almost impossible. Never did beat that one, can't find a video of anyone else beating it either, LOL.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just like many others, Battletoads will forever haunt my dreams. I think I made it half way through the snake level once without cheating. Even with game genie I think it's pretty much impossible though. Still, some day I would love to conquer this beast of a game.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i've had a few white whales over the years but the worst was the adventures of link. I got to the final castle, got to the thunderbird and died over and over and over and over and over and over again. I finally went back a year or two ago and smoked that bird, only to get to shadow link and realize that as a child i would have cried. I beat him, the game, and i'm never looking back.

Right now i'm not sure i'll ever beat SMG2. I don't have the coin from the final level and i'm not sure i want to go back and get it. Then to do that level with 1 health...i'm not mentally prepared for that.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MegaMan 9. I try to beat Willy's Castle every 2 months, and fail everytime. I feel like I'm too old for this 1-hit kill shit now.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My white whale was actually a great white shark. Growing up I couldn't beat Jaws for NES. I could get to the part where you fight Jaws, and I could beat him, but then you would have to do this taser and stab with the bow of the boat mini game to finish Jaws off. I could never do that part. In college, probably 10 years after having last played Jaws, I picked it up, and beat in on my first try. My inner child was quite pleased.

With in the last year I finally got around to tackling Adventure of Link. Pretty fun.

Currentl White Whale:

MegaManX (collection) I' made it ot the Sigma levels in X1, but got pissed at the snowboarding and put the game down 4 years ago and haven't got back to the series since.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I recently put to rest one of my white whales.

Rygar for the SNES. Holy farts that was a tough game.

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ghosts N Goblins. I've tried, God knows I've tried. But always in vain.

I Will Beat You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    n00bish wrote: »
    The game in my sig/avatar, Below the Root.

When I was a small child, that game was tough as shit. I had to play it at my grandma's place since it was on the Tandy they owned. I would play a little bit at a time for months before I got to the last bit. Grandma had been yelling at me for fifteen minutes to get of the computer, time for bed. I hurried up and started to save the game, but granny has had enough of this shit and pulled the plug. All that time, lost, like tears in the rain.

About 15 years later, I knuckled down and decided to conquer that shit, which I managed to do in about 3 hours. It was just as incredible as I had remembered.

:3
    This is mine.
    But it is a more accurate description since I have never beaten Below the Root and it actually killed me.

:(

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

I never had an N64, put down the GC remake in favour of something else and never picked it up. I plan on playing it properly when I get the 3DS.

Dude Ocarina is the best game you have to beat it.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Conan for the 360 has the worst end boss. The worst!

I'll probably beat it eventually but right now I'm tired of that cheap jerk, fuck him and his tentacles.

Peen on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

Dude Ocarina is the best game you have to beat it.

It'll happen. I played other stuff, complained about the GameCube control stick when trying t navgate above the maze in Dodongo's Cavern, and then lost my GCN memory card. It's day one for 3DS and I'm sure I'll love it.

I have a feeling I'd be more enthused about Majora's Mask, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got a few.

First off is Chrono Trigger. I love everything about the damn game, but for some reason I've only gone and tried to beat Lavos once in all the years I've owned the game, and that was way back when I was 11 or 12. I think I had almost defeated his final form when I died largely because I stupidly used Marle and Lucca in my party instead of any other characters. And no matter how many times I sit down and resolve myself to see it through, I've never gone back to the Apocalypse.

Valkyria Chronicles is another. I got it for Christmas of 2008 just a month after its release and was so excited to play it, when my crappy PS3's disc drive broke literally the day before I got it. That was a very fun Christmas Eve, having to call up Sony's tech support. One month later, I finally had my console working again after having VC on my shelf mocking me. I got to Chapter 10 I believe (the mission with the giant tank-train thing) and pretty much struggled against that for the better part of a year. I'd attempt it every so often but ultimately fail until just a few months ago when I decided that the only way I'd pass it is if I used GameFAQs. After finally beating that, I was cruising. I had reached the Battle of Nagiar and had just started it when my PS3 froze. Confused, I turned it off and back on, and lo and behold, the console wasn't reading any discs again. So yeah, Sega's beautifully artistic strategy game killed my PS3 twice, and even though my PS3 has been back in working order for almost two months now, I've yet to reattempted the game. Probably because it's plotting against me and will kill the console a third time if I try.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GTA IV for me. I've played, 100%'d and adored all the others. I went to the midnight release for IV, I waited in line and took a few days off work to immerse myself in the game. I banged my head against the wall of the bank robbery mission, 4 Leaf Clover. I can do the shootout bits, but each time I made it to the vehicle I could never ditch the wanted level. Closest I ever got was I evaded the cops and got my stars blinking as they were about to disappear but I was stuck in a shitty smoking car because I had to keep moving to keep the heat off me and I wound up hitting a fire hydrant and exploding my vehicle. Now this was after taking a two month break because of the same frustration. I haven't touched the game since, been close to a year now.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have never beaten Majora's Mask. I keep the N64 around just because I keep thinking someday I will try again. However, I have put down Twilight Princess as well, so makye I am just tired of Zelda games.

The white whale for a long tie was Planescape:Torment. Every time I would get a little further and I'd have job issues or a computer crap out and my saves were gone, something. Eventually I just told my wife what had to be done and plowed through it all in a couple weeks after dinner. It felt good, real good.

Backstop on
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got a few.

First off is Chrono Trigger. I love everything about the damn game, but for some reason I've only gone and tried to beat Lavos once in all the years I've owned the game, and that was way back when I was 11 or 12. I think I had almost defeated his final form when I died largely because I stupidly used Marle and Lucca in my party instead of any other characters. And no matter how many times I sit down and resolve myself to see it through, I've never gone back to the Apocalypse.

Oh man, conquer that beast! And there are multiple endings!

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gitaroo Man on Master Mode. Normal Mode is really tough, but I can do it pretty easily. However, I can't even beat the second level on Master Mode. I try, but 2-3 hours of swearing later, I have to give up. Again.

I wish I could beat it, because Gitaroo Man is my favorite game.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also Rock Band - Visions expert drums.

Just no.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Boris The BladeBoris The Blade Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I spent just one night trying to beat "Through the Fire And Flames" on expert guitar, Guitar Hero 3, and couldn't do it. I can beat any of the other songs on that disc without a problem, but the tapping on that song... Couldn't do it. I eventually got about 90% through before failing out. I'm pretty sure I could do it now, but I traded in the disc feeling "done" with the game, and never tried it again.

Boris The Blade on
  • Options
    ShortForeskinShortForeskin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Baldur's Gate 2 I just don't want the story to end!

ShortForeskin on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    6c38afd1c1dc1fa1b46ac9f.jpg

This, along with Fantasy Zone, Hang-On, and Astro Warrior, were the very first video games I owned. My family got them all together with our Sega Master System in the christmas of 1986. I grew up with this game. I am a freaking master at this game.

You know how you play old games today and they have these outlandish quests that have no rhyme or reason and you think, "holy shit did anybody ever actually figure this out on their own?" Well Wonderboy in Monster Land has one, and I played and explored every fucking inch of that game so thoroughly that I figured it out without a guide.

I can breeze through every round on the game, without losing a life. I even grab all the optional power ups because it's a snap for me.

Until the dragon's castle.

Fuck, I've been trying to beat this last fucking stage for decades now, literally. It is SO hard. See, in Wonderboy in monster land, you have a time limit. Every 60 seconds, you lose a heart. Now granted, when I get to the dragon's castle, I have like 16 hearts and a heal potion, so I have about a half hour to beat this one level.

Well the level is laid out sort of like the old bowser's castle from Mario Bros 1, where if you take a wrong turn you have to redo a section. Except in Wonderboy's case, messing up sends you back to the beginning. And the entire castle is fucking huge. And it scrolls both left to right, right to left, up to down, and down to up. It's seriously a giant castle, maybe about as big as the entire Legend of Zelda overworld. So many twist and turns and one wrong move sends you back.

Well, that optional side quest I mentioned earlier? It nets you the ability to choose between two rewards before entering the castle. One is a bell which rings when you're going the right way. So it's not as bad. However this bell is useless to me, because I know the way. It's not that i get lost, it's that there is one section of the castle that is fucking monstrously hard.

See, there is a long stair case in the middle of the castle. It's 4 screens tall, and it's made up of these two floating platforms. When you stand on one, it starts to drop down, and when you jump off of it it zips up high. So the idea is to jump from platform to platform all the way up. If you miss a jump, you go all the way back to the beginning. And this stair case is right near the end.

It's SO fucking hard. I normally run out of time at this part. But I've gotten past it before, and when you do, you get to fight the Dragon.

Now, I said earlier you get the choice of two rewards and one was a bell, but the bell is useless to me. So I always choose the other one, the ruby, which takes off half of the dragon's total life. So the dragon I fight is only half as strong as normal.

But it's no use, he whoops my ass. every time. See, he has two forms - a normal one and a meka one. I can beat the half-strength normal one. But the meka one fucks me up six ways till sunday. And it does NOT get half it's life taken away. It jumps all around and blows fire and each hit it deals you takes off massive health. I made it to the meka dragon once with like 14 of my hearts and a revival potion and I didn't even get his life down to red.

I have NEVER beaten this game on the sega master system, and I have tried for decades. Not as in, "oh I'll play this game I haven't played in ages and see how far I can get." No, I've regularly, consistently tried to beat this game and I never have. Which upsets me, because it's apparently the only version with an ending.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also Rock Band - Visions expert drums.

Just no.

I've broken 2 foot pedals playing that song. I have beaten it though :-p

I wish DLC for Rockband 2 was cross platform somehow, I have tons of DLC from my 360, which is dead, and instead of replacing I got a PS3. Thats guna be an expensive game to replace, if I do.

Also, the original paper mario. I have a savepoint in front of bowser, and I could never beat the asshole.

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shadow_of_the_colossus_ps2.jpg

I can't find whatever number Colossus I am on. I refuse to use any sort of help for this game. Fuck I need to beat this game.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Masta_FuMasta_Fu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daius wrote: »
    I got it in 1995

I completed it in 2007.

Seriously some parts of it I had no clue what the hell I was meant to be doing
    I know man....I'm sorry
    you had to go through that D:

Masta_Fu on
    Windows Isn't A Virus, Viruses Do Something:P
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Good god I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I raged at that game as a child. Oh, I became quite excellent at it and always had fun.

Until the final boss. That freaking giant robot-mech had me stumped as a child. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how many lives and continues I had, Robotnik always beat me. That robo-Sonic just before him was a piece of cake, an annoyance whose pattern I had utterly mastered and often took my rage out upon. But Robotnik himself never fell. My worst defeat I still recall quite clearly, I had something like 25 lives and a ton of continues (well, I don't remember the numbers, just that it was a lot). I had all the emeralds. I had played a flawless game. Then that fat goose-faced goosing goose of a goose cooked my ass with his giant freaking pitchfork hands and his big fat ugly feet and his stupid dumbface exploding robots.

I finally beat him roughly a decade after Sonic 2 came out playing as Knuckles in the Sonic 2 & Knuckles connection thing. Yeah, seriously. It's the only time I've beaten him, ever. In my entire life. I have since sworn off Sonic 2 for the longest time because fuck you, Robotnik-Mech.
    I don't understand how you could do that well at the game (amassing a huge stockpile of lives and getting all the Chaos emeralds) and not be able to beat Robotnik? Yeah, that was a hard boss, but being able to get to him with that many lives intact is probably just as hard.

forty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Right now i'm not sure i'll ever beat SMG2. I don't have the coin from the final level and i'm not sure i want to go back and get it. Then to do that level with 1 health...i'm not mentally prepared for that.
    I just did that star yesterday, and you'd better believe Mario got called a lot of foul names in the process.

forty on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    forty wrote: »

I don't understand how you could do that well at the game (amassing a huge stockpile of lives and getting all the Chaos emeralds) and not be able to beat Robotnik? Yeah, that was a hard boss, but being able to get to him with that many lives intact is probably just as hard.
    Not being able to abuse rings in the final stage makes it kind of a big deal.

I'm more shocked that anybody could do this with Knuckles and not Sonic, though. Knuckles' jumping ability sucks, so he has less options to deal with the final boss.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm more shocked that anybody could do this with Knuckles and not Sonic, though. Knuckles' jumping ability sucks, so he has less options to deal with the final boss.

Yeah, with Sonic you can hit Robotnik by jumping over his middle spike while his arms are retracted during his walk. With knuckles, you pretty much have to wait for your free hit when he lands after jumping.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Oh, no doubt, but I'm just thinking of how I was able to beat Robotnik after a while if I cheated to get to the last stage, because I could never actually get through the whole game without cheating. So basically beating Robotnik was less of a feat for me than getting through the game.

And yes, being a one-hit kill is different than for most of the fights in the game, but some of the hard parts of the later levels don't really let you abuse rings either. And I know there were some bosses that were tough even with ring abuse since it was easy to get hit and not be able to get your last one or two rings that popped out. That kind of stuff always gave me a lot of trouble.

forty on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shadow_of_the_colossus_ps2.jpg

I can't find whatever number Colossus I am on. I refuse to use any sort of help for this game. Fuck I need to beat this game.

Uh, hold square? I think it was square.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    6c38afd1c1dc1fa1b46ac9f.jpg

This, along with Fantasy Zone, Hang-On, and Astro Warrior, were the very first video games I owned. My family got them all together with our Sega Master System in the christmas of 1986. I grew up with this game. I am a freaking master at this game.

You know how you play old games today and they have these outlandish quests that have no rhyme or reason and you think, "holy shit did anybody ever actually figure this out on their own?" Well Wonderboy in Monster Land has one, and I played and explored every fucking inch of that game so thoroughly that I figured it out without a guide.

I can breeze through every round on the game, without losing a life. I even grab all the optional power ups because it's a snap for me.

Until the dragon's castle.

Fuck, I've been trying to beat this last fucking stage for decades now, literally. It is SO hard. See, in Wonderboy in monster land, you have a time limit. Every 60 seconds, you lose a heart. Now granted, when I get to the dragon's castle, I have like 16 hearts and a heal potion, so I have about a half hour to beat this one level.

Well the level is laid out sort of like the old bowser's castle from Mario Bros 1, where if you take a wrong turn you have to redo a section. Except in Wonderboy's case, messing up sends you back to the beginning. And the entire castle is fucking huge. And it scrolls both left to right, right to left, up to down, and down to up. It's seriously a giant castle, maybe about as big as the entire Legend of Zelda overworld. So many twist and turns and one wrong move sends you back.

Well, that optional side quest I mentioned earlier? It nets you the ability to choose between two rewards before entering the castle. One is a bell which rings when you're going the right way. So it's not as bad. However this bell is useless to me, because I know the way. It's not that i get lost, it's that there is one section of the castle that is fucking monstrously hard.

See, there is a long stair case in the middle of the castle. It's 4 screens tall, and it's made up of these two floating platforms. When you stand on one, it starts to drop down, and when you jump off of it it zips up high. So the idea is to jump from platform to platform all the way up. If you miss a jump, you go all the way back to the beginning. And this stair case is right near the end.

It's SO fucking hard. I normally run out of time at this part. But I've gotten past it before, and when you do, you get to fight the Dragon.

Now, I said earlier you get the choice of two rewards and one was a bell, but the bell is useless to me. So I always choose the other one, the ruby, which takes off half of the dragon's total life. So the dragon I fight is only half as strong as normal.

But it's no use, he whoops my ass. every time. See, he has two forms - a normal one and a meka one. I can beat the half-strength normal one. But the meka one fucks me up six ways till sunday. And it does NOT get half it's life taken away. It jumps all around and blows fire and each hit it deals you takes off massive health. I made it to the meka dragon once with like 14 of my hearts and a revival potion and I didn't even get his life down to red.

I have NEVER beaten this game on the sega master system, and I have tried for decades. Not as in, "oh I'll play this game I haven't played in ages and see how far I can get." No, I've regularly, consistently tried to beat this game and I never have. Which upsets me, because it's apparently the only version with an ending.

ha, i know exactly what part youre talking about with the rising platforms. fuck that shit. i never beat that game either, and it was one of my favorite games on the SMS as a kid. my brother has it on the VC on his wii now and we give it regular plays and we still cant fucking beat it, thanks to those fucking platforms and the stupid dragon.

Ah_Pook on