As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

• Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Packing right now and leaving for the airport in about twenty minutes. See you all there! Can't wait to see how far I make it!

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nah, you still have to track us down. We're not revealing our teams THAT easily!

Good luck to everyone. If you want to find me, just follow me on Twitter!

Heleor on
  • Options
    thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    missyjean wrote: »
    So we can battle 'em from home today?

If any gym leaders wanna face me then send me a message. I want to see how bad I do before I embarrass myself in public.

nah, you've gotta track them down, that's half the fun.

also, you would need to get the physical badge for beating them... and I'm not sure those can be sent remotely (sadly we can't do EVERYTHING they do in pokemon...)

also bandana pics are up on the front page to show you an even easier way to find PPL Leaders.

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Psst. A bunch of leaders may be meeting at Westlake today. You may get lucky and snag a challenge!

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    lol, i was just about to mention that...

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ok, some leaders have bandanas now. so you can pick them out quite nicely.

it is worth noting, that we picked the exact same color red as enforcer shirts (so I'm told).

Hope to battle you soon :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    darkwondersdarkwonders Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm never going to remember what the leaders look like XD

darkwonders on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

that's why you look for the armband

it's a nice bright red with half a pokeball and PPL in white on it.

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'm wearing pink, have purple hair, and a mask. I can't be that hard to spot!

Heleor on
  • Options
    missyjeanmissyjean Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will was super awesome and nice.I wish I asked him to battle me when he connected Pokewalkers with me =(

I'm kind of shocked that NOBODY asked to battle me.A few people got up the courage to connect Pokewalkers with me,but I really really want to battle some people! I saw a few kids with Pokewalkers and they quickly dodged my stare and ignored me lol. I don't know whether it was because they're shy or what!

So let me tell all of you now,I'm going to be dressing up as a team rocket grunt again tomorrow.I have long brownish red hair.Some of you might have seen me. I don't bite,I'm really nice,and I'm probably more nerdy than you are.So I hope some of you that have battling teams will approach me tomorrow.It would really make my day!I love meeting people who like Pokemon! =)

Now to the topic at hand,I only saw two gym leaders and I couldn't squeeze through the crowds to get to them in time. Too bad I had to leave at 5...

I'm totally challenging all you gym leaders tomorow in the DS lounge!

missyjean on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks, Missy! I appreciate the compliment. :) You should challenge us yourselves if you want a battle. We're the gym leaders. ;)

My problem was that when I ended up at the handheld lounge, I had a line of 4 people deep for pretty much 4-7pm. It was awesome and I love all your guys' enthusiasm, but I'm probably not going to spend that much time there again. Please do challenge me between omegathon events and in various lines - I had a great time battling while in the Scribblenauts and Sonic Colors line.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah,I was looking for you since you stick out real nice! Weird that I didn't find you...

I didn't want to challenge you on the floor just in case you were wanting to see a booth and didn't want to be annoyed or something.BUT now that you gave me the ok,prepare to battle!

missyjean on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Front post updated IN BIG LETTERS with things that are mostly too long to tweet, but nevertheless VERY VERY important to the league.

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Exhausted tonight, but I had some good challengers.

On a side note, Gym Leaders who recruit players, please explain the rules a little more clearly. I fought a trainer today that was using Jirachi, a big no-no, but the previous Gym Leader that told her about the league did not tell her about the ban on Jirachi, or the 1 Legendary clause. I gave her the badge anyway, because it was not her fault. However, we must be clear about this kind of thing. I don't want a trainer to have to fight me again because his/her match was made moot by the use of a banned pokemon.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

On a side note, Gym Leaders who recruit players, please explain the rules a little more clearly. I fought a trainer today that was using Jirachi, a big no-no, but the previous Gym Leader that told her about the league did not tell her about the ban on Jirachi, or the 1 Legendary clause. I gave her the badge anyway, because it was not her fault. However, we must be clear about this kind of thing. I don't want a trainer to have to fight me again because his/her match was made moot by the use of a banned pokemon.

when i let people know, I usually mention that :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Wait, Jirachi is a full ban? I thought it was only restricted. Whoops, possibly my fault then - I didn't say anything when I saw the Jirachi.

Besides, Jirachi goes down to a flamethrower. :P

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow,that was really fun.

People actually picked me out of the crowd and challenged me because of my previous forum post.That really made my day!

I got slaughtered,but it was fun nonetheless.It was an awesome experience!

I totally got Giovanni to crack a smile,too.

I can't wait till next year so I have time to learn about strategy and stuff and pay more attention to IV/EV stats.I wasn't interested in competitive battling but this PAX weekend changed that! Thanks for having this event!Hope to do it again next year!

missyjean on
  • Options
    reekuzareekuza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bah. Beat the Breeder leader (barely) and it was kind of close with the Xatu-man. Sorry I can't remember your name guys, I rather liked the both of you!
    Hopefully tomorrow I can actually get more badges. And if I catch FlyGuyLeader with his little Natu, I'll definitely be switching it up from my dragons. . . Your Altaria just caused me too much trouble, hahaha.

Anyway, it's still been fun, albeit confusing. At first I thought the cosplayer leaders were just cosplayers, then I found out that they were leaders, then I had to figure out if they were Elite 4 or not. Not to mention trying to see them around the Expo area and all, lol. I saw a lot of pokewalkers today, but I didn't connect/battle with any of you guys. Didn't want to just come up to your face and be like "BATTLE?!" if you were just trying to enjoy pax. :c Next year though (maybe I'll redeem myself tomorrow - I'll have the pink "flower" in my hair but I'll be wearing jeans instead of a pleated skirt) I'll just go ahead and ask. It was kind of a bummer to find out that some of the Leaders had so much stuff to do, especially with some of them ending up being Enforcers. Maybe next time we should all have 3-4 pokemon teams to shorten the battle time, and to make sure the Gym Leaders/Elite 4 won't have too many other plans during PAX to fully allow people the chance to get badges?

/long post is long

reekuza on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Wait, Jirachi is a full ban? I thought it was only restricted. Whoops, possibly my fault then - I didn't say anything when I saw the Jirachi.

Besides, Jirachi goes down to a flamethrower. :P

Easy for you to say. We don't all have flamethrower.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Haha, true.

Anyway, I took a bit of a day off of battling today. First I forgot my DS, then I forgot my badges, then I changed into real clothes for the concerts. I should be back in (mostly) full force tomorrow!

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Due to the scaricity and occasional unavailability of our gym leaders, you now only need 6 gym badges to face the elite four, effective NOW!

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Awesome work, folks. I had a great time playing against all of you plucky young trainers with your well trained pokemon and well designed teams. I hope to see you all and more of you next year for PAX Pokemon Leage '11.

-Dr. Kronus

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This was a great league turnout, and we're hoping for much more organization (and grammar) next year.

Heleor on
  • Options
    Connie ConnikeConnie Connike Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Oh my goodness, this was amazing and I wish I had participated in it more than I did. Looking forward to next year~! \o/

/ended up battling for Giovanni today, hurr
    /was one of the Rocket grunts

Connie Connike on
    CONNIKE
    rocket grunt

|LJ | Plurk | VDex |
  • Options
    Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I agree, this was a lot of fun!. A little disappointed that I gave out ~10 badges but ah well. Find the GL quicker you all! Can't wait to do this again next Prime.

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    ChamaleChamale Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Can I ask to be a Gym Leader next year? I already have plans to go to PAX Prime 11.

I earned the Facade, Gale, Swarm, Void, Skull, and Genome badges, so these leaders probably know me. I'm ALEX - my team has Porygon-Z, Persian, and Zangoose. I love Normal-types, and I'd love to have a Normal-type gym in the PAX Pokémon League next year.

Chamale on
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had SUCH a good time, even if I failed Giovanni miserably in my battles. But seriously, I can't wait for this next year! I'll train up a better team, and Team Rocket will prevail!

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Chamale wrote: »
    Can I ask to be a Gym Leader next year? I already have plans to go to PAX Prime 11.

I earned the Facade, Gale, Swarm, Void, Skull, and Genome badges, so these leaders probably know me. I'm ALEX - my team has Porygon-Z, Persian, and Zangoose. I love Normal-types, and I'd love to have a Normal-type gym in the PAX Pokémon League next year.

Definitely looking for gym leaders for next year.

This is for everyone: PM me with your email address, or better yet e-mail me at akrotkov@gmail.com if you're interested in being a gym leader either next year or at PAX East. Please specify which, especially if both!

Heleor on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elgaladwen wrote: »
    I had SUCH a good time, even if I failed Giovanni miserably in my battles. But seriously, I can't wait for this next year! I'll train up a better team, and Team Rocket will prevail!

Damn right we will (And maybe next time I won't forget my DS on the most important day...>>;; )

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Heh, I was totally jealous of you Rocket Grunts, doing all your secret missions, stealing my badges, running around a lot...

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We're just that good, man. |D Like, there aren't even words in the dictionary to describe how amazing and awesome Team Rocket is.

Connie Connike on
    CONNIKE
    rocket grunt

|LJ | Plurk | VDex |
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We're just that good, man. |D Like, there aren't even words in the dictionary to describe how amazing and awesome Team Rocket is.

We'll have to invent them, like Rocketastic!

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Matev wrote: »

Wordplay's not your strong suit. You should stick to Rocket science. *rimshot*

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

Wordplay's not your strong suit. You should stick to Rocket science. *rimshot*
    . . .
    /FACEPALM

Connie Connike on
    CONNIKE
    rocket grunt

|LJ | Plurk | VDex |
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Team Rocket has science. Well, maybe not science. They have SCIENCE!

Next year, I'll be doing something more to emphasize a connection to Team Rocket. Perhaps my plain black shirt will spontaneously generate a nice red R, should look great with the hat.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man that was fun. While most of the time I was going, "Oh, I'm part of the E4.... sorry," I had a blast on Sunday fighting the challengers. I'm pretty happy the team I threw together on Saturday night after getting my butt kicked in friendlies vs. the other elite 4 managed to put some good dents in the challengers. I think I gave out.... 5 of my badges, 6 if you count the one I gave to a friend on Saturday when I was worried no one would get to me.

I'm disappointed how THE LEGEND and THE DUCK did almost nothing for my team :( However, THE PAYNE and THE CHAMP gave a lot of people a run for their money and were easily the staple of my team. I also hate stall teams!!

I won't be at PAX East, however I look forward to crushing the hopes and dreams of E4 challengers at next years PAX :)

Gameshark on
  • Options
    The SamuraiThe Samurai Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I felt like my team did pretty well, but not in the way I expected... My Taranitar was pretty much only good for sandstreaming, and my Shuckle ended up being my most diabolical member... All in all, I gave away upwards to 10 badges, which was a LOT less than I prepared for. Maybe I'll just give the rest away as promotional items during East and/or next year's prime.

The Samurai on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING (as I have said in the main post)

There will be many things coming soon.
    one is the hall of fame,
    the other is a big friend code swap to battle other trainers and gym leaders (when they have time)

also, sorry on the late response to this thread. I went home yesterday and just wiped out until arround noon today.

lastly: I'm in the process of making a facebook page. wish me luck :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gameshark wrote: »
    Man that was fun. While most of the time I was going, "Oh, I'm part of the E4.... sorry," I had a blast on Sunday fighting the challengers. I'm pretty happy the team I threw together on Saturday night after getting my butt kicked in friendlies vs. the other elite 4 managed to put some good dents in the challengers. I think I gave out.... 5 of my badges, 6 if you count the one I gave to a friend on Saturday when I was worried no one would get to me.

I'm disappointed how THE LEGEND and THE DUCK did almost nothing for my team :( However, THE PAYNE and THE CHAMP gave a lot of people a run for their money and were easily the staple of my team. I also hate stall teams!!

I won't be at PAX East, however I look forward to crushing the hopes and dreams of E4 challengers at next years PAX :)

I think out of all the E4 teams I liked yours the best, (though I admit I didn't get a chance to see Giovanni's :/)
    I don't remember who the duck was XD but THE PAYNE and THE CHAMP were definitely powerhouses, even if I won because they missed me :D

and yeah, stall teams. TOTAL BUMMER! *coughcoughAcertaintwoE4memberscoughcough*

lagomorphic on
  • Options
    lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, maybe I just missed you posting it, what was the final Hall of fame count?

lagomorphic on
This discussion has been closed.