As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I spent so much time into getting that damn Knights of the Round. So much time.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I spent so much time into getting that damn Knights of the Round. So much time.

Haha, yes. The animation was definitely subject to diminishing returns. I think by the fourth casting, I was like, 'Oh, God. I've got to sit through this again?'

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    my favorite part is when you get to the final boss and he basically says 'who the hell are you'

To which I replied. "Who are you!?" Why the fuck were they even fighting? I don't know. I thought those gods or some shit were going to be the final boss.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That seems to be an increasingly common thing with JRPGs

You'll have a primary antagonist for most of the game, but they're not the one that's intent on destroying the world/the final boss, and that's the person you don't meet until you show up on their doorstep

Like FFXIII, what the fuck huge boss out of nowhere that you have specifically been talking about not fighting for the whole game

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh yes I hate that

my most hated thing in all JRPGs

well, no, maybe I hate the unconscious sexism more

but it's up there

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rogue Galaxy is decent, but it's also hardcore jrpg. If you're looking to jump into the most jrpg of jrpgs, go for it.

That was prt of it's charm! Also the combat system was nice

If you want a truly jrpg jrpg, gotta go with steamboat chronicles. I mean, you pilot a steam-powered mech and make money busking on the street with like 5 different musical instruments! just fun all around, no angst

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, in SMTIII
    you meet Lucifer at the very beginning. So you meet the final boss right from the start.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's definitely not 100% pervasive into every JRPG but I'm noticing that it's common enough recently

I mean, in Chrono Trigger you find out about Lavos pretty close to the start

FFX has you wondering why Sin comes back through the whole game, and then slowly the answer (Yu Yevon) is revealed to you, but at least you don't find out about Yu Yevon right before you fight him

FFVII has clear Sephiroth/Cloud rivalry for the vast majority of the game

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I saw kingdom hearts in FYE for $7.00. I thought about buying it but decided not to.

Jars on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That seems to be an increasingly common thing with JRPGs

You'll have a primary antagonist for most of the game, but they're not the one that's intent on destroying the world/the final boss, and that's the person you don't meet until you show up on their doorstep

Like FFXIII, what the fuck huge boss out of nowhere that you have specifically been talking about not fighting for the whole game

It's not exactly new. In Final Fantasy II you spend 90% of the game chasing after Golbez and then oh wait the real bad guy is in the CORE OF THE MOON LET'S GO.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    At least in Final Fantasy 1 the final and first boss are the exact same guy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    same thing happened in golden sun

then in golden sun 2 they throw you something out of left field

Jars on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ring of Red is an SRPG of sorts.

Dunno if it counts but it is rad featuring mechs in WW2

Also it sounds like what happens when you eat too much curry.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The World Ends With You is all the JRPG I need

Way more addictive than I thought it'd be! Wish you could actually dress up the characters with the merch you bought, though.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man, golden sun
    the plot had something about going to these four maaagiiiic towers and doing some stuff
    and I got to the second one and the boss kicked my ass

I talked to my friend about it and he was all "yeah the final boss is really hard"
    final boss? I was halfway done with the macguffin towers!
    fuck you, golden sun.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After I beat Golden Sun I spent 30 hours farming the last dungeon trying to get the ultimate sword to drop. Didn't get a single one. Fuck dat game.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't really enjoyed any RPGs as much as I enjoyed all my SNES ones.

Why is that?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like it sometimes when a game messes with my expectations

but not when it messes with my expectations in that it is literally half as long as I expected

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    saw the new golden sun at pax and im still pretty disappointed that they went with the 2.5d art

id much rather have a breathtaking 2d sprite game than shitty polygonal characters

oh well

Squall on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sorry i only play freemium k-mmos

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Wish you could actually dress up the characters with the merch you bought, though.

I strongly enjoy when changes in equipment are reflected in a character's physical appearance.

Trying to phrase that in a way that sounds a little better than, "I like to play dress-up."

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wish you could actually dress up the characters with the merch you bought, though.

I strongly enjoy when changes in equipment are reflected in a character's physical appearance.

Trying to phrase that in a way that sounds a little better than, "I like to play dress-up."

I like that there were different models for every weapon in FFXII.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Really I just wanted to watch Neku whine and baww in a frilly pink dress

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    saw the new golden sun at pax and im still pretty disappointed that they went with the 2.5d art

id much rather have a breathtaking 2d sprite game than shitty polygonal characters

oh well

I like the 2d ones a lot, but 2.5d grows on you with games like DQ9 where it is just done so well.

Jars on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't get why Nocturne is so adored, beloved and expensive. The plot has an interesting twist in the first few minutes of the game but doesn't really do anything else from there, and the gameplay, while not standard, was absolutely nothing to write home about.

nocturne is easily my favorite game ever. the story is so deep. digital devil saga is also quite excellent.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I really need to get in on this persona business

been taking turns with the missus on the final fantasies they've released on the psn

going to start 9 soon hopefully, maybe i'll slip in persona 4 before I try tactics

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I haven't played TWEWY...should I get it? The only thing I use my DS for is 100% completion in the Chrono Trigger port and repeatedly doing the Cat on the House puzzle in Scribblenauts by burning the house down.

tl;dr Can I watch Neku whine and baww in a frilly pink dress?

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jars wrote: »

oh well

I like the 2d ones a lot, but 2.5d grows on you with games like DQ9 where it is just done so well.

they certianly did a good job there, I just have a hard time getting over toriyama's art

Squall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I haven't played TWEWY...should I get it? The only thing I use my DS for is 100% completion in the Chrono Trigger port and repeatedly doing the Cat on the House puzzle in Scribblenauts by burning the house down.

a thousand times yes

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    6974.jpg
    Worth every cent of the $100 or so it will set you back by.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yes.

It is hands down one of the best jrpgs.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Ring of Red is an SRPG of sorts.

Dunno if it counts but it is rad featuring mechs in WW2

Also it sounds like what happens when you eat too much curry.

keep meaning to pick this one back up. so good.

as far as srpgs go, you can't beat the nippon ichi games. unless we are talking about FFT.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The World Ends With You is all the JRPG I need

Way more addictive than I thought it'd be! Wish you could actually dress up the characters with the merch you bought, though.

This game is really rare in my state. I bought it for 20 from gamestop, and when I returned it it had gone UP in price.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't get Chrono Cross. It's convoluted and boring.

what'd you say motherfucker

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seeing as its only 20 bucks on Amazon: YES YES YES IT IS THE MOST FUN

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    pip did your rule get lost during the rules thread consolidation

Squall on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Don't get Chrono Cross. It's convoluted and boring.

what'd you say motherfucker

CHRONO CROSS IS A BIG FAT LET DOWN

except the music.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    shadow hearts from the new world is so incredible

like, everything is so over the top I cannot fully explain how amazing it is

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    pip did your rule get lost during the rules thread consolidation

I defeated larlar in single combat

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dang