Options

Glossolalia - Nearly 2 years. 33 threads. 4 games.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll throw a link to the character creation page in the OP, don't know why I didn't do that to begin with

Squall on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Squall :x

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    y-yes?

Squall on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've read all the pages about character creation and DE?AD's post last page cleared up any remaining confusion about the mechanics of it. I'll just PM Dubh my sheet when I hammer it out and see if it's up to snuff.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    both dubh and de?ad have character approval authority on either campaign, so you should PM them both or just post it here

since a bunch of us have a decent understand of what's kosher

Squall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh, okay. Well gimme a second and I'll fire it up.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    y-yes?

Just, I'm watching you!

But anyway, I was looking at rolling a character for Royal Blue, but I guess I don't really know what kind to make for an anything setting? Like, are we talking cyborg dinosaurs from outer space levels of restrictions, or is it more grounded character-wise and the world itself is malleable? Also, I get the idea that it will be based around a police force of some kind, so I was thinking of rolling some kind of cop/guard character, but wanted to make sure that was the right track.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, how's this? I don't see any other characters on the wiki with "equipment" so I guess I don't choose that?

[Baird Tanner] [Human] Stress 0% Special 0% Progress 0%
    [Knack for Magic (A, C) 20%] [Unflappable (B) 10%] [Mercenary Wizard (A) 25%] [Self-Taught Magician (A) 20%] [Power-Hungry (D) 15%]

Born the son of a humble craftsman in a backwater village, Baird fled his miserable home at a young age to seek learning at an Arcane College. Expelled a few terms after his matriculation for dabbling in forbidden literature, he took to wandering in search of arcane knowledge and the power it brings. Through years of travel, Baird found there was simply no job he would refuse to take on if the reward seemed worthy, and almost nothing he wouldn't do to unravel the mysteries of Deucarta's magical forces.

Baird disregards the "magical establishment" for short-sighted fools who know nothing of true potential. Limits are safeguards for the weak. Risks exist to be taken. Rules and regulations are thinly-veiled methods to keep true power in the hands of the few--it's there to be claimed, by the one who dares to claim it. Why shouldn't Baird be one?

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    here's some of the basic stuff he's posted about it
    As I've said, the whole point of the next game is a world where narrative law supersedes physical law - physics are still there, as an undercurrent, but the concept of narrative is a much more powerful force.

So you've got a world, essentially like ours, but where the concept of a story can bend reality. Their history parallels ours, for the most part, but in the same way a TV show parallels reality - things are bigger, more dramatic, etc. Hitlerion didn't die in a bunker, he was thrown of the roof of a tower during a heavy storm, after fighting a rag-tag group of elite soldiers assembled, one each, from the allied nations. Julius Frederick Kennaedius was assassinated by a highly-trained Russian super-spy, not some schmuck. Excalibur has been passed from king to king in England for as long as they've had kings. The Great Wall fully surrounds China, and Australia is still a penal colony for the world's most dangerous criminals.

Wind kicks up when someone makes a dramatic speech. People can shrug off ridiculous wounds with the right incentive. Swords can cut bullets in half. It will rain on the worst day of your life, and the sun or moon will always break through the clouds when things turn around for you.

Since narrative tends to build on itself, many areas are, essentially, locked into a genre - simply because they've been following a narrative flow for long enough to do so. The world at large averages out to, essentially modern-day, but there are places with vastly advanced or incredibly primitive societies. Get in your car, drive twenty miles east and you could stumble on a rural little village where the local Liege-lord has been taxing the peasants too heavily. Drive north and you might hit another city where there're riots going on due to a rather unpopular bill declaring robots sentient beings with all the rights that entails.

The game will spend a bunch of time in Central City, which is exactly what it sounds like. Central City is L.A. and New York combined - a massive, sprawling metropolis that's only been around about a hundred years or so, but bloated with fame, fortune, and global significance. It determines elections all across the globe, it determines what is hot and what is not, Central City currency and identification is accepted pretty much everywhere, and the whole fucking world dances to its heartbeat. They say there're a million stories in the naked city, and they are underestimating.
    The whole campaign isn't gonna take place in Central City. I mean, most of the missions will take you out into the world - Central City just serves as a very large hub with bunches of stuff to do.
    The C.C.P.D. covers normal policing activities for Central City, and a lot of low-ranking officers serve largely as beat cops. Above that are the paramilitary S.W.A.T.-style forces, who are often shipped out, en-mass to solve conflicts abroad.

Then there's Special Narrative and Heroics - The S.N.A.H., or, as they are known within Central - the Royal Blue. Royal Blue units are recruited from only the most promising protagonists - not all of them served as beat cops in the C.C.P.D., but all of them have the spark that makes them something special.

Royal Blue units have access to pretty much all of the normal equipment of the C.C.P.D., and even some of the more exclusive, rare, or experimental equipment.

This includes riot gear, military equipment, heavy arms, and N.F.D.s - Narrative Focal Devises. Sunglasses, long-coats, fancy cars, motorcycles, cigarettes and cigars, etc.

All of those things require approved use by C.C.P.D.

and the most important bit,
    The CCPD is the most elite police force in the world, and the Royal Blue is their most elite unit.

They do not bring on people who are working for a paycheck, working community service, or "just putting in the hours". They hire motherfuckers who would be doing the work even if they weren't getting paid. They hire motherfuckers who want to make the world a better place, and are willing to sacrifice anything to do that. They hire motherfuckers who are the best at what they do and what they do is fucking inspiring.

There are men and women who work for the CCPD for their whole lives hoping to get into the Royal Blue. In a 2003 survey more children wanted to be agents of the Royal Blue than wanted to be firemen, astronauts, and dinosaurs combined.

They don't always pull Royal Blue from the ranks of the CCPD, or even from Central City alone. Hell, sometimes excons and international fugitives even get onto the Royal Blue. At the moment, there are at least two aliens and one dracula serving the Blue. What they all have in common, though, is that when they were asked if they wanted to join, their decision had already been made. They already decided to do the best they could for this world, and nine times out of ten, that means working for the Royal Blue.

When the Royal Blue comes for you, you jump at the call. If you don't, the Royal Blue wouldn't have come for you in the first place.

Squall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hahaha oh yes. I will make a character for that I am excited.

Langly on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    Okay, how's this? I don't see any other characters on the wiki with "equipment" so I guess I don't choose that?

[Knack for Magic (A, C) 20%] [Unflappable (B) 10%] [Mercenary Wizard (A) 25%] [Self-Taught Magician (A) 20%] [Power-Hungry (D) 15%]

Born the son of a humble craftsman in a backwater village, Baird fled his miserable home at a young age to seek learning at an Arcane College. Expelled a few terms after his matriculation for dabbling in forbidden literature, he took to wandering in search of arcane knowledge and the power it brings. Through years of travel, Baird found there was simply no job he would refuse to take on if the reward seemed worthy, and almost nothing he wouldn't do to unravel the mysteries of Deucarta's magical forces.

Baird disregards the "magical establishment" for short-sighted fools who know nothing of true potential. Limits are safeguards for the weak. Risks exist to be taken. Rules and regulations are thinly-veiled methods to keep true power in the hands of the few--it's there to be claimed, by the one who dares to claim it. Why shouldn't Baird be one?

Concept seems good, but [Knack for Magic], [Mercenary Wizard], and [Self-Taught Magician] are all entirely redundant. Background and Talent are for expanding your character's abilities beyond what is implied by their Occupation - not to mention the fact that, as only one Trait ever applies at any given time, and they do not stack in any way, having multiple, redundant Traits is pointless.
    Langly wrote: »
    But anyway, I was looking at rolling a character for Royal Blue, but I guess I don't really know what kind to make for an anything setting? Like, are we talking cyborg dinosaurs from outer space levels of restrictions, or is it more grounded character-wise and the world itself is malleable? Also, I get the idea that it will be based around a police force of some kind, so I was thinking of rolling some kind of cop/guard character, but wanted to make sure that was the right track.

Squall quoted a bunch of important information for the setting. As for characters, everyone will be working for the Royal Blue - CCPD's most elite division, and the setting's supercops. Their authority is respected pretty much everywhere, and they have nearly unlimited resources to draw upon.

This does mean characters have some restrictions:
    No Crazy People.
    No Evil People.
    Royal Blue Agents must have the motivation and drive to do what they do. They must want to make the world a better place.

Beyond that, I do tend to prefer human characters, unless you can sell me on something else. The shorter the character pitch the better - if you can make me love your concept in a sentence, all the better.

Also, exaggeration is key here. Royal Blue agents are the best at what they do, and each and every one of them did something spectacular in order to be given the badge.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Captain K wrote: »

Equipment is entirely narrative, very free-form. Your character possesses whatever would be rational for them to have, and the only equipment you would ever list would be those that would give a minor mechanical benefit. In most if not all cases, it will be a boon from the GM.

Things like weapons and components for spells are mundane and it's assumed that if your character is an expert fencing, you bet your ass he's got a rapier.

The background on him is great I think, but the biggest problem you have in the statline is that his Talent, Profession and Background all overlap. It might not have been very clear in the wiki, but only one trait will ever apply to any one roll, so you want to have as little overlap as possible.

For example: with just straight 'Mercenary' as his Profession, it implies he is adept at finding the people he needs to find, getting information, tracking, and possibly bartering.

For Talent: Yes he's good at magic, and having a wizard character implies he has cursory knowledge of how most simply magics work, but what kind of magic does he do best? Evocative? Illusory? Don't relegate yourself to generic D&D magic schools either, Dubh and DE?AD will help you find the right word to express what kind of magic he excels in.

As a background, try to come up with something entirely different that isn't covered by your talent or profession. In my example you've already covered his competence with magic and his ability to find work and get the job done, but where did he come from? You said he came from a craftsman, maybe he picked up those sort of skills? Perhaps he's augmented that knowledge with his magical knowledge and has a knack for creating arcane devices?

Squall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Concept seems good, but [Knack for Magic], [Mercenary Wizard], and [Self-Taught Magician] are all entirely redundant. Background and Talent are for expanding your character's abilities beyond what is implied by their Occupation - not to mention the fact that, as only one Trait ever applies at any given time, and they do not stack in any way, having multiple, redundant Traits is pointless.

A couple of minutes after I posted that, I realized exactly what you're saying. I'll go take a look at the other players' sheets again so I can get a revision idea.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think
    this is a thing I want to be involved with
    and will make an effort to learn more when I get back home this afternoon

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    People are finally taking notice of ol' Glossolalia.

...and it only took 33 threads.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    if it helps I've been interested for a long time but I am meek and easily intimidated

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I had a hunch that was the case with a fair few folks, glad to see the new OP makes things a little more accessible.

Squall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    yeah Squall you pretty much got me with the new OP.

I finally clicked on one of these and actually understood what was going on. "ohhh it's a play-by-post fuck yeah"

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, de?ad, what about a character ala tom waits from mystery men, a super scientist who only creates/uses non violent/non-lethal weapons? Or is that too equipment based?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Ok, de?ad, what about a character ala tom waits from mystery men, a super scientist who only creates/uses non violent/non-lethal weapons? Or is that too equipment based?

Equipment isn't so much the issue as activity level.

Right now, that seems like a guy that'd stay at base.

Throw some Tony Stark in there and we're good.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    okay so I have to go into seminar shortly
    but I want to know if the character I'm thinking of making is okay because I've been carrying this dude around in my head for years and would love an opportunity to use it

he is a man
    with an over-the-top attitude and penchant for hyperbole
    who is also a ghost
    and has all the powers of a ghost and all the powers of a train
    and is dedicated to fighting crime because the existence of crime is the unfinished business that binds him to the earth

his name is Ghost Train

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I will accept a ghost cop.

This is my compromise.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    But why a train?

Langly on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will accept a ghost cop.

This is my compromise.

What about the character I posted, DE?AD?

Or do you want a backstory write-up first?

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I missed it.

Weren't you being a robocop fireman?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, using the same concept as before, do the traits and numbers here make a better character?

[Quick Study (A) 20%] [Unflappable (B) 15%] [Mercenary Wizard (A, C) 30%] [World Wanderer (A) 20%] [Power-Hungry (D) 15%]

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Better. World Wanderer is a bit vague.

As Squall pointed out, Wizards in this setting specialize, so I'd change [Mercenary Wizard] to something denoting his specialization.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [Sevvyn Turs][West][Fade][Dikkery] Stress 0% Special 0%
    [Clairvoyance (A) 20%][Cool-Headed (B),(C) 15%][Bounty Hunter (A) 30%][Mayor (A) 25%][Deliberate (D) 10%]

". . . !"

Eyes wide (taking up half his face at this point), West steps stiffly out of the ring.

"I... think I'll walk back when this is done."

Shabooty on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh Oh can I make a magical Royal Blue character? Like a full on magic artifact of power wielding, spell-casting, vaguely mysterious asshole who more than makes up for a lack of physical prowess with a flaming car to the head?

Also, how many girl characters are there in this game, generally?

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Considering that we currently have no girl players, not many

The only girl character in Glossolalia was an NPC that hung out with the party

RADLands has I think two girls and another female NPC party member

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man

girl is a weird-looking word

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    we have anti

Squall on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm so split right now ahhh

I want a male character really badly but being the first girl player with a girl character in all of Glossolalia (and showing you bitches how its done) is also really appealing!

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I missed it.

Weren't you being a robocop fireman?

[F.I.R.E. T.R.U.C.K.][Experimental firefighting technician]
    [Modular20%][Helpful 10%][Fire Fighter25%][Automotruck (or Cyborg) 35%][Gender Confusion (or Technically Dead) 10%]

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Better. World Wanderer is a bit vague.

As Squall pointed out, Wizards in this setting specialize, so I'd change [Mercenary Wizard] to something denoting his specialization.

Ugh, I completely missed Squall's post on the last page until you pointed it out just now. My bad, thanks Squall, that post was extremely informative.

I don't want to just go with [Well-Traveled] for a Background because somebody else is already using that :P but that's what I'm going for with the trait: a dude who has been a lot of places, seen a lot of things, and can draw on a lot of experience. Maybe that's too broad for a trait.

As far as naming a magic specialization for the Occupation, I guess this is another spot where I'm not sure how much liberty to take with the setting in deciding what one person should be able to do. The character fancies himself as eventually becoming an all powerful creator, manipulator and destroyer, so I figured he would be functionally a jack-of-all-trades magician type, but if that doesn't jive with the setting (or if, again, it's too broad for a trait) then I'm not sure what to go with--do particular wizards in this setting specialize in manipulating the forces of specific planes, or in creating specific effects with their magic, or what?

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so how about this: the son of a diplomat, he spent his formative years growing up in a monestary. After trying a normal life and getting his degree at mit, he became determined to forsake his familial wealth and take the life of a monk, his parents untimely demise at the hands of a violent crime led him to long for vengeance. In an attempt to reconcile his pacifiscm with his need for justice, he constructs non-violent means of apprehending villains to use in the field. Believing that criminals are hurting themselves even more than their victims, he devoutly attempts to capture evil people and encourage them towards rectifying their ills and finding peace. After giving most of the trust fund he inherited away, he only uses what is left towards his equipment needs/goals.

So the talent I guess would be something like invention, occupation vigilante, personality kind hearted, flaw naive?

Oh and background, um, hm. Maybe like trust fund baby?

Langly on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sheriff is a weird word too, it looks so fake.

guys I have no idea how to play this game I'm gonna read about this game on dat wiki.

wanna play dis game

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i...

you made batman

Squall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    we have anti

oh, that's true

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I made a batman with no money who refuses to punch people!

Langly on
This discussion has been closed.