As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Census 2010: The Data is In! US Population: 308,745,538

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Explore the data overload on Google Maps:

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

This is not actually all the data. The Census will release all the data down to the block level in February through the end of March.

281,421,906 (2000) -> 308,745,538!

Nevada has the largest population growth.

Michigan and Puerto Rico experienced a decline in population.

South Dakota somehow managed a 6.7% growth.

Gaining seats: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Texas, South Carolina, Utah, Washington

Losing seats: Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania

The West has more population than the Midwest in the first time in history.

Top 5 Population by State:
  1. California
  2. Texas
  3. New York
  4. Florida
  5. Illinois

Bottom 5 Population
  • Delaware
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota

Slowest Growth:
  • Michigan
  • Rhode Island
  • Louisiana
  • Ohio
  • New York

FyreWulff on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuck. I was hoping the Census would take out Little Miss Batshit Insane.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Estimates were saying 6 seats gained in McCain states and 6 lost in Obama states.

That nyt map thing has shown me that I live in an island of whiteness in the african american sea that is Philadelphia. I probably shouldn't be surprised by this.

Putting in my home address from high school is kind of funny (66427 for those curious).

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Estimates were saying 6 seats gained in McCain states and 6 lost in Obama states.

That nyt map thing has shown me that I live in an island of whiteness in the african american sea that is Philadelphia. I probably shouldn't be surprised by this.

Putting in my home address from high school is kind of funny (66427 for those curious).

When you put in Omaha, the "actually 3 separate cities" is very apparent.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GodfuckingdamnitIhateFloridasofuckingmuch

Maybe I should move to Vermont.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Where are the people?

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    oldsak wrote: »

Where are the people?
    Check the far lower right of the map.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That NY population loss thing is really interesting, because if I remember right NYC has actually been experiencing some pretty solid growth recently, recession be damned.

Also this map is really making me miss Queens. I hate living in Whiteyville.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That NY population loss thing is really interesting, because if I remember right NYC has actually been experiencing some pretty solid growth recently, recession be damned.

Also this map is really making me miss Queens. I hate living in Whiteyville.
    Upstate NY has been bleeding population for decades, with no real end in sight.

That's been the trend in a lot of rustbelt areas- people are moving south and west to places with better weather and better economies.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the states that gained population this cycle are either places that had some jobs for rust belt refugees or had big spikes in latino population.

By contrast, the states that lost population were hemorrhaging former manufacturing population to the places with jobs, and which had no real latino population growth to speak of.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Michigan and Puerto Rico experienced a decline in population.

Slowest Growth:
    • Michigan
    • Rhode Island
    • Louisiana
    • Ohio
    • New York

Woot! Once again Michigan makes it to the top of the list. Let's have a round of applause. Here's another one we're topping.
    20101120_usc659.gif

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I could look at the NYC map for hours. This stuff fascinates me.

Apparently the change in income in West Brooklyn is massive, as well as the number of kids enrolled in private school. All those artists/hipsters are finally starting to have kids.

Long Island City looks like it's quickly becoming one of the most well-off places in Queens, but for some reason there are very few kids in private schools. I wonder if it's because the people moving there are older? A lot of it's the art establishment, who tend to be older, I guess.

The East Village/Alphabet city is like the low-income holdout in lower Manhattan. I hope this data doesn't prompt a mass migration to there (because I want to move there)

The city's Latino population is huge. Bigger even than I previously imagined. It's funny how people have a perception of the Bronx as a primarily black borough, when it's not nearly as much anymore.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Manhattan is so white

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I apparently live right on the border between Whitesylvania and Blackyblackblackingtonvilleburg. Tracts to the west of mine are predominantly white, tracts to the east are overwhelmingly black, and my track is pretty close to mixed.

What's funny is that there's no way it's accurate for my area. I live in an apartment complex with over 200 units, most of the people I see around here are hispanic, and the area has one dot representing 25 white people, and one dot representing 25 black people.

Which makes me think I should care more about immigration reform. *sigh*

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Manhattan is so white

Harlem and Washington Heights would care to have a word with you.

(everywhere else though: super white)

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I really wish there were a way to link people to specific views of this.

Because I just went to my hometown, pulled out to the point where each dot is 200 people and there are literally 7 total dots on the screen, all green.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    There's an ass backwards way of doing it.. click the link to share on Twitter, then copy the t.co link they try to generate, then take the view URL they give for you there and use that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ha! Screw you, MA people who insist that Wooooooster is totally a high population city the likes of Boston!

Man, seriously, nobody lives in like, 97% of this state.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's an ass backwards way of doing it.. click the link to share on Twitter, then copy the t.co link they try to generate, then take the view URL they give for you there and use that.
    Thanks, I'll try that.

http%3A//projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer%3Fview%3Draceethnicity%26lat%3D39.6770%26lng%3D-96.471%26l%3D11

Yeah, that didn't seem to work. We'll try it again.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Here ya go:
    335f3iu.png

Tox on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's very interesting to look at the population around the University of Texas. There's one big block which is clearly on-campus housing, and it's 48% white. Just across the western boundary of campus, is all the apartment housing for the kids of the upper class, and that's 71% and 74% white, with asians in second place.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tox wrote: »
    Here ya go:
    335f3iu.png
    Danke

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

When you put in Omaha, the "actually 3 separate cities" is very apparent.

You mean with the North, South, and West O and their connected racial populations? 'Cause yeah...

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, DC is a segregated town. My census area is 85% white, while there are neighborhoods across tha river that are 100% black.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let the urbanization of the world continue apace!

moniker on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    41% Whites to 57% Blacks in my area. Not surprising at all considering the demographic I went to high school with.

But 0% asians. That surprised me, I thought there'd be at least one couple in my area. Damn.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hmm

87% White
    7% Black
    4% Hispanic
    2% Other

Interesting.... very very interesting...

And really, I thought the Hispanic numbers would be a bit higher...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Man, DC is a segregated town. My census area is 85% white, while there are neighborhoods across tha river that are 100% black.

I wonder what my neighborhood is like. I live right near the convention center, which seems like a fairly integrated area. But yes, it is ironic that our nation's capital is run by white people who bus (and train) in black people from impoverished ghettos to serve us food and clean our toilets. It's an unfortunately apt metaphor.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The fascinating thing about the NYC map is just how dense everything is.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Good, I thread I can get into somewhat. I always knew my neighborhood was hispanic central.

Tract-14407
    • White-25%
    • Black-11%
    • Hispanic-61%
    • Asian-1%
    • Other-1%

I'm surprised that White is at 25%. I barely see any when I'm out and about.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The urbanization of the country is really apparent if you zoom all the way out.

Tight clusters of humanity with the occasional green dot in between.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm surprised that White is at 25%. I barely see any when I'm out and about.

So what you're saying is their gates are working as intended.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm pretty sure (based on observations of my own area, not a racial stereotype), that there's a significant number of hispanics that weren't counted because they avoided census takers. Seriously, there's a substantial number of people in my immediate area that don't appear to have been counted, and the difference between what the numbers show and what my personal experience shows is virtually all in the hispanic numbers. (There just aren't that many whites and blacks around here, percentage-wise.)

Tox on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My home county is 0% asian.

This may explain my fascination with asian girls when I started college.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My home county is 0% asian.

This may explain my fascination with asian girls when I started college.

Pretty large asian population here, but that's not unexpected, between the state school and it being the Puget sound.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oooh fun.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The urbanization of the country is really apparent if you zoom all the way out.

Tight clusters of humanity with the occasional green dot in between.

I believe this is the first census where a majority of the country lives in a CSA with a population of greater than 1 million.

moniker on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My last neighborhood was:
    1% White
    98% Hispanic

and my new neighborhood is:
    33% White
    6% Black
    57% Hispanic
    4% Asian

God I love being able to walk into a little restaurant and have the staff at least try to understand me. My last neighborhood was habla espanol or gtfo.

edit: for shits and giggles, the neighborhood I grew up in clocks in at
    84% White
    4% Black
    5% Hispanic
    5% Asian
    2% Other

Its pretty crazy the country we live in has such hugely different areas.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    L.A. is hilarious when zoomed all the way out.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Chicago zoomed out looks like a multicolor palm frond.

Black, hispanic, black, hispanic, white.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Where I live:

White: 9%
    Black: 84%
    Hisp: 6%
    Asian: 1%

What I found most surprising is the place in ATL that I always thought of as most Asian is really only 15-20 percent Asian and 50-60 percent Hispanic.

Niceguy Myeye on