As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want six pack abs - are they worth the effort?

ReusableGoreReusableGore Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in decent shape, I work out for at least an hour a day six days a week (rest on Sunday). I use free weights (and various other exercises, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc.) and run 10-15 miles a week depending on how I am feeling.

I have maintained this level of exercise for several years, but I have never been able to get lean enough to see more than the top two of my stomach abs. I have been told that it is due to genetics, some people just have to work insanely hard to lose the fat that covers the stomach, some don't. Others have told me getting six pack abs takes an extreme amount of dedication to eat right, which I'm not good at.

I have accepted that reasoning for years, but am now kinda frustrated. I'm feeling better this winter season than I have in a long time. Harder workouts, faster and longer runs. But no visible change other than a slight increase in muscle size.

Is what I have been told correct? Are six pack abs only for those with the right genes or professional athletes?

If its an unreasonable goal, I don't mind giving up on it. But I would like to know for sure before I quit without even trying.

ReusableGore on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shredded abs require two things
    A) big ab muscles
    B) ungodly low body fat

A is easier, and is done much like how you'd build up any other muscle, that is with lowish reps at high weight.

B is fucking hard and will take many months to develop the discipline required in your diet

Robman on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Men are already predisposed to store fat around the belly, and typically it's the very last bastion of fat to fall (which is aggravating because it's probably the first place you want to lose it from).

You mentioned you aren't good at eating right, I'll take that a step further and say lots of people who exercise almost use it as an excuse to eat awful (and by lots of people I mean ME!). On top of that, if you're lifting weights and trying to gain muscle, I would assume you make it a point to consume a lot of calories, right? Those things combined will make it very hard to lose fat. Professional bodybuilders will practically starve themselves while still working out shortly before a competition to get more definition. You shouldn't do that but you might want to throttle back the diet for a few months and see if that helps.

BlochWave on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How old are you? Unless you have the metabolism of a 16 year old, getting your body fat down low enough to rock a six pack is going to be a fucking chore.

SammyF on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let's get some input from a professional

BlochWave on
  • Options
    ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You mentioned that your diet isn't the greatest; that's what's probably holding you back if you're consistent in your exercise regimen. What does a day of meals typically look like for you?

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You mentioned that your diet isn't the greatest; that's what's probably holding you back if you're consistent in your exercise regimen. What does a day of meals typically look like for you?

Cereal or microwave breakfast sandwich in the morning, fast-food for lunch (Burger King is the only thing in easy walking distance from work), frozen pizza or something similar in the evening.

This routine is pretty consistent, I don't like to take more than ten minutes to eat a meal. I try to only eat enough to get to the next meal, I don't like feeling full.

ReusableGore on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    How old are you? Unless you have the metabolism of a 16 year old, getting your body fat down low enough to rock a six pack is going to be a fucking chore.

I'm 26.

ReusableGore on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's very possible, we have a PA member who underwent an amazing transformation in the bigman thread in SE++.

Is it worth it? I talked to this guy who was shredded and apparently picked up his girlfriend right off the street because he was walking around shirtless. So, if that's the kind of attention you want then sure it's worth it.

But it's all diet. By all diet, I mean it's 110% diet. It's a 24/7 job to get six pack abs.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SammyF wrote: »

I'm 26.

Yeah. Look, I don't think anyone is going to say "you cannot do this so give up." It'll certainly be easier to do this now than it will a year from now, so if you're going to start, well, there's no time like the present. However, six pack abs aren't even a necessity for most professional athletes. Mohammed Ali made his living as a professional fighter, he dedicated his life to being faster and hitting harder than anyone in his weight class that would stand in a ring with him, and, yeah, he had a taught stomach with some definition, but he hardly had a six-pack.

muhammed_ali.jpg

It's not a negative reflection on your core strength if you don't have them, either.

SammyF on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Getting six-pack abs is all about low body-fat percentage, which (for most people) is going to mean heavy cardio and very strict control of your diet.

If you exercise that much, odds are you probably already have (or are close to having) the kind of ab muscles you need for that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Cereal or microwave breakfast sandwich in the morning, fast-food for lunch (Burger King is the only thing in easy walking distance from work), frozen pizza or something similar in the evening.

This routine is pretty consistent, I don't like to take more than ten minutes to eat a meal. I try to only eat enough to get to the next meal, I don't like feeling full.

Based on what you've said so far, it's actually pretty obvious what is holding you back.

Your diet is horrendous.

For the love of god man, fix that shit! Fast food? Frozen pizza? You're actually probably predisposed towards six pack abs, but your diet is pushing you into merely good territory.

Also, lift some heavier weights, then actually increase your food intake but make it much, much cleaner. Abs will take like 3 months from that point.

Docken on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hope you like fruits, veggies and all that good stuff. because that's what you'll be eating a lot if you want a sixpack.

the only time i had a sixpack was when i was hitting the ravescene p. hard, living on virtually no food, no sleep and lots of coke and ecstasy (while still working out).

when i stopped doing all but the working out my sixpack was gone in 4 months.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's 90% diet and you've gotta be damn disciplined with it unless you're extremely lucky genetically.

You want to cut back basically all carbs, no sugar, beer, pasta, bread, rice, cereals etc. You need a diet high in protein, lots of eggs, lean meats, nuts etc.

You're also going to want to start having around 6 smaller meals a day, rather than the 3 standards that western society seems to love.

I could go into a lot more detail but deciding to change basically everything you eat is a huge decision and a difficult thing to stick to, there are plenty of websites around that can help you tailor a good diet but the most important thing here is willpower.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Why do you work out 6 days a week only to put the worst kind of shit possible into your body? No wonder you haven't seen any progress.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're lazy you can always get liposuction.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Why do you work out 6 days a week only to put the worst kind of shit possible into your body? No wonder you haven't seen any progress.

It occurred to me that I didn't balance my "it's okay to accept the way you look" bit with advice about the diet. If you generally don't like taking a lot of time to eat a meal, you should perhaps consider learning to cook in bulk and package leftovers that will keep you for a few days. Nothing exemplifies the notion of "economy of scale" like comparing the time it takes to cook one chicken breast against the amount of time it takes to cook five: it's really not that much more time or effort until you start physically exceeding the amount of surface space you have to cook on.

Try filleting each chicken breast into thinner sections or flattening them out some with a meat mallet. Whisk the juice of a couple limes with a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Coat chicken fillets with oil/juice and then season with a very little sea salt, cracked back pepper, and a little chili powder. Arrange in the bottom of a casserole dish coated with more juice/oil and bake at 375 for probably about eight minutes. With a large enough casserole dish you can easily make enough chicken for six or more servings in as little as half an hour.

This is a good habit to get into if for no other reason but that packing a lunch for work is cheaper and healthier than eating at burger king every day. Find a park or somewhere nice to sit outside and eat so you don't feel trapped in the office all day.

SammyF on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here is a diet that might help you get started if this is something you really want to do.
    MEAL1
    5 Egg whites
    1/2cup old fashion oats (measured dry)

MEAL 2
    ½ cup Non fat plain greek yogurt
    10 Raw almonds

MEAL 3
    5oz lean white meat (chicken breast, turkey breast, 99% fat free ground turkey, white fish)
    4oz. Yam (without skin)
    1 cup green veggies (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, green beans)

MEAL 4
    30g micellar-based protein (some folks like muscle milk, I personally do not)
    10 Raw almonds

MEAL 5
    5oz. White fish (tilapia, albacore, orange roughy, cod)
    1 cup green veggies
    1 med salad
    1Tbs. Fat free Italian dressing

(before bed)
    MEAL 6
    30g micellar-based protein

Daemonion on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Getting cut abs is much, much simpler for ectomorphs.

I'm that guy you would probably hate; the dude who gets abs just by waking up in the morning cause of my ungodly low body fat percentage (5%? 7%)

Sure it's nice to see that, but it also makes strength training an absolute nightmare. I have to fight for every ounce of strength I can get, and i'm betting you could lift more than me on a bad day than I could an entire year from now with a diligent training regiment and a diet of 4000 calories to bulk up.

Don't get bummed out if you don't have those washboard abs yet, cause most of the time it just comes down to genetics, and there's always a flip side to counter that benefit.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Getting cut abs is much, much simpler for ectomorphs.

I'm that guy you would probably hate; the dude who gets abs just by waking up in the morning cause of my ungodly low body fat percentage (5%? 7%)

Sure it's nice to see that, but it also makes strength training an absolute nightmare. I have to fight for every ounce of strength I can get, and i'm betting you could lift more than me on a bad day than I could an entire year from now with a diligent training regiment and a diet of 4000 calories to bulk up.

Don't get bummed out if you don't have those washboard abs yet, cause most of the time it just comes down to genetics, and there's always a flip side to counter that benefit.

That sounds depressingly familiar. But it could be worse!

(NSFW)
    dead-space-necromorph-art-20080925031748383.jpg[IMG][/img]

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm actually rocking the six pack at the moment. Seeing one on yourself definitely raises self esteem and confidence. The advice I'd offer has already been mentioned, but I can't emphasis how important the low carb diet is. Cutting that sugar out of your diet can either make or break the weight loss progression as well as earning you those washboard abs.

If its an absolute goal to get washboard abs for beach bod 2011 try going to a gym too and getting a personal trainer. They'll also create a workout that's suited for your workout goal.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    hope you like fruits, veggies and all that good stuff. because that's what you'll be eating a lot if you want a sixpack.

the only time i had a sixpack was when i was hitting the ravescene p. hard, living on virtually no food, no sleep and lots of coke and ecstasy (while still working out).

jesus f. christ man

what?

Also, re-upping the diet concern here
    cut the shit intake and you'll see results pretty fast

Kazaka on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The saying goes that abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. And it's true!

Like people are saying, it's next to impossible for most people to maintain a defined six pack. Even if you look at people who are paid richly to stay in shape (not only athletes, but models, actors, etc.), very few of them pull it off.

The thread has mostly answered the question of "how do I get six pack abs," so I will just answer the one that's actually in the OP: are six pack abs worth it? I tried to develop a develop a defined six pack for two years; didn't hire a trainer, but I watched what I ate and worked my abs and upper body hard and regularly. In the end I think my body just won't do it; I'm a little bit stocky and I just couldn't get there. I did wind up with a flat stomach, and I realized most of the benefits I wanted from having a six pack: self esteem, general fitness, attention from the ladies, etc. But a flat stomach turned out to be a lot easier to maintain than continuing to try for a six pack was, so that's basically what I'm doing now (although I have let myself go a little bit of late D: )

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyway, I bet you would see pretty tremendous progress if all you did was stop eating lunch at burger king every day. That shit is murderous on your body.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What's your current BF%? Six pack abs for guys are in the 6-8% range. You can pull 'em off for a short while, but even professional models and bodybuilders don't walk around with single digit body fat all the time. I've never gotten that low personally, all I cared about was making weight.

Your diet is pretty poor. Really work on dropping the carb intake and upping the protein and fiber.

Are you doing any interval work for your cardio? Try adding in a couple of days of high intensity interval training and adding some weight training so you don't lose too much strength as you drop the weight.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm the same as Godfather, as nice as it is too have a six pack, I only do have it because of my stupidly fast metabolism.

Like Godfather said, it's a nice bonus but god damn does it make it hard to actually gain weight and build strength

Dixon on
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kazaka wrote: »

jesus f. christ man

what?

Lifespan -23 years right thar.

Slo on
  • Options
    Kobi Kobi KooKobi Kobi Koo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Six pack abs on a man are worth about as much as a great pair of tits on a woman. You decide if its worth it.

Kobi Kobi Koo on
  • Options
    Zephyr180Zephyr180 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Speaking as a woman... not too fussed about sixpacks on a dude

Zephyr180 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lots of people are in great shape without six-packs
    stock-photo-muscular-man-56543005.jpg

Look at this majestic figure of masculinity, he's got a body that would probably get rated 9/10 to 10/10 by most people, and yet his abdominals aren't exactly washboard defined.

Robman on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Six pac or not isn't really too important for picking up girls as long as you're in noticeably good shape, unless you can somehow get to this level: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_a1idQQpEnHk/Sp-zFOHIFWI/AAAAAAAAAq8/QIHj2yGdLzI/s400/ryan_reynolds_mh.jpg

But it's pretty much impossible to get that unless you have your own cook, dietitian, and trainer. AKA be rich and have tons of free time.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

jesus f. christ man

what?

i'll put it this way, and i wasn't the OP:

When I was young and foolish, I was young and foolish.

(And MDMA/Ecstasy is one helluva diet drug. its what it was designed for.)

Joe K on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Slo wrote: »

jesus f. christ man

what?

Lifespan -23 years right thar.

i am literally posting from beyond the grave.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Six-pack or not, your diet is atrocious.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.