Options

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sheez wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    Sheez wrote: »
    And that a good portion of that hip jut is going to be the result of armor/padding?
    Let me ask you a question, did you like the nanny arrow in Oblivion? :P

I..what? Relevance?

Something from earlier in the thread.

iRevert on
  • Options
    SheezSheez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I <3 your opinions on the arrow, iRevert. In particular, the Cavern of the Incarnate was so incredibly amazing after hunting it down. Really, one of the best memories of mine from Morrowind.

Sheez on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/26/the-art-of-skyrim.aspx

SPEARS.jpg

POLEARMS.

MOTHERFUCKING POLEARMS.

DAY ONE.

EDIT: DAY MINUS ONE. I WILL WARP REALITY TO ATTAIN MY POLEARMS SOONER.

Get me Dual-wielding, then we'll talk about "Day minus one" purchasing.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dual wielding has already been confirmed

where have you been

Like, in the GI article they're all "You have to make tradeoffs with your hands, do you want a sword in one hand to deal damage and a mace in the other to break his block, or use a shield instead to protect yourself, or even throw in a spell"

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Dual wielding has already been confirmed

where have you been

Like, in the GI article they're all "You have to make tradeoffs with your hands, do you want a sword in one hand to deal damage and a mace in the other to break his block, or use a shield instead to protect yourself, or even throw in a spell"

:shock:

DAY MINUS 1 PURCHASE! NO! DAY MINUS TWO PURCHASE!!!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously. Full control over weapons and magic for each hand. Hotkeys bind to equip pairs.

Hence all the joking about dual shields.

Personally, I'm going to find a way to dual wield halberds.

Monger on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's weird how excited we all get at dual wielding

Historically it's kind of an impractical method, but it looks damn cool I guess

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honestly, I'm more excited about polearms

and if it's one handed/two handed for weapons skills... :D

:D:D:D:D

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm mostly excited about decent animation, decent character design, and non-painfully-bland art direction.

But that's just me.

Monger on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    I'm mostly excited about decent animation, decent character design, and non-painfully-bland art direction.

But that's just me.

Me too, but certainly not complaing about polearms or dual wielding. It all sounds yummy.

corin7 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll believe "decent animation" when I see it. There hasn't been a well-animated Elder Scrolls since... ever.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was kinda comforted by the painfully bland art design of Oblivion. Was a nice throwback.

I mean really now.

The previous games weren't exactly bastions of super interesting design.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I was kinda comforted by the painfully bland art design of Oblivion. Was a nice throwback.

I mean really now.

The previous games weren't exactly bastions of super interesting design.

i like how you missed morrowind from that list.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It was a throwback (implied: to Arena and Daggerfall.)

I'm sorry I didn't specify.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Hence all the joking about dual shields.
    Who's joking? If I'd mentioned it, I would be very serious. I've always wanted to play an RPG that let me run down a hallway dual wielding shields as I bash enemies out of the way. I wrote up an entire design document for a game with a combat system built around letting me do that.

Maybe I'm just weird?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    An enchanted shield that damages enemies' stamina and drains their Strength, leaving them breathless behind you, crushed under the weight of their own hats.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That artwork, dem hips!

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So has there been any word on the size (actual game, not the map [as in as how its represented on a map of Tamriel]) of Skyrim yet?

I'm speaking in terms of the size compared to morrowinds level or oblivions level.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Screw whether or not it would be practical for warfare, I love the idea of dual-wielding shields. Bonus points if they can be hurled as lethally-effective ranged weapons. The Elder Scrolls games have horrendously dull combat and anything to spice that up would be a major improvement.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So has there been any word on the size (actual game, not the map [as in as how its represented on a map of Tamriel]) of Skyrim yet?

I'm speaking in terms of the size compared to morrowinds level or oblivions level.

Apparently about Oblivion sized.

Which, as I mentioned earlier, further messes the scale up on the main world map.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I believe they said it's about as large as Oblivion. There are five primary cities instead of eight, however, and less dungeons, so I'm hoping those things are larger and/or more diverse/unique.
    I'll believe "decent animation" when I see it. There hasn't been a well-animated Elder Scrolls since... ever.

I am hopeful, though, now that they're using Havok Behavior for animations instead of doing it all themselves.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    All right, well, I never beat any other ES games except for Oblivion. Time to rectify that, starting with Daggerfall.

EDIT: And no cheesing! I'm going to do it on my own steam.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All right, well, I never beat any other ES games except for Oblivion. Time to rectify that, starting with Daggerfall.

EDIT: And no cheesing! I'm going to do it on my own steam.

Ahahaha! Course you will. See you next decade.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've got my notebook right here. It's going to happen, and this time I'll get farther than that one dude you're supposed to meet up with in the next town over.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here you go:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Running_under_Windows
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:DaggerXL
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

So I take it Skyrim will be heavily modifiable in the same way MORROWIND and OBLIVION are? I've been using mods more extensively for OBLIVION compared to MORRWIND.
    For MORROWIND I was considering the following.
    http://knotstheinane.blogspot.com/p/morrowind-modding-guide.html

Is this aka a General Elder Scrolls thread or just for SKYRIM?

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    As soon a this flu clears josh, I'll join you. Always wanted to try out daggerfall.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I guarantee it hasn't aged well. I'll be playing a thief character probably, just to make it tougher on myself. And, in accordance with my "no cheesing" policy, no loans in a faraway district. It'll be easy enough to rob shops everywhere I go.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In contrast I shall play a battle mage and cheat like fuck.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This has just made me go check the progress on daggerxl and it still looks like a long way off. :(

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This has just made me go check the progress on daggerxl and it still looks like a long way off. :(
    Pity I never got the chance to play DAGGERFALL.:(
    Since I've been using and figuring out tons of mods for OBLIVION, might as well work on the MORROWIND ones now. Perhaps Tamriel Rebuilt and I have a ton of better NPC faces right now.
    Yes, little steps for here and there. Especially for doing bulk downloads for particular things/objects/items. Yes, even one for beds.:P

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Some historical figures might disagree with that statement.

He was pretty good at sword stuff too I think.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The easiest way to cheat in Daggerfall is to go into a store, wait night, steal the fuck out of everything, and then sell it to the owner.

The character creator is extremely abusable.

Couscous on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

To be fair, he was good at anything. Didn't he more or less humiliate a guy with an oar?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

To be fair, he was good at anything. Didn't he more or less humiliate a guy with an oar?

Yeah he showed up late for a duel and was like oh yeah a sword hang on and got an oar then was like pssh it's good enough. Then he solidly handed the guy his own ass with said oar.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It was one long weapon and one short weapon, usually as a backup weapon or for defense.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

He carved it to make a weapon.
    Legend has it that Miyamoto Musashi carved a suburitō out of a boat's oar as he traveled to his famous duel with Sasaki Kojiro, whom he killed by striking him on the skull and killing him with a single blow.
    This does not mean it would be a good idea to bring a wooden weapon to a fight.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it bad that every time something new comes out I think to myself, "Hm, I wonder if I can use that to break the game?"

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah he showed up late for a duel and was like oh yeah a sword hang on and got an oar then was like pssh it's good enough. Then he solidly handed the guy his own ass with said oar.
    Damn he's confirmed for bad-ass. Why doesn't a studio/development team make a game featuring him and all his bad-assery? Reminds me of Shintaro Katsu's ZATOICHI films.

So yeah I do have the Game Informer and the UI/stuff being mentioned as a stupid Apple iPhone shit is malarkey. Catering to much to the casuals and not the fan base. I'll be buying this game both for 360 for random Achievements and of course PC for mod usage.
    Here's a random shot from OBLIVION. Not my character, eyes are a bit too far apart, but would love to find a save file for her for just near the end of the sewers. WARNING: Not 56K friendly. (I use DMRA BBB though.)
    TumIl.jpg

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Damn he's confirmed for bad-ass. Why doesn't a studio/development team make a game featuring him and all his bad-assery? Reminds me of Shintaro Katsu's ZATOICHI films.

Read his book, the Five Rings. It is quite good and applicable to not just swords, but general life.

Icemopper on