As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to expect?

• Options
    patches.patches. Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Chances are I'll just take the concerts, as I've never seen any of the usual players.

That and I'll only be 18 at the time, and PAX is less than a week before I ship out to boot camp.

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    that's why you go to the concerts
    with friends

see, win/win

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    that's why you go to the concerts
    with friends

see, win/win

And it's not like people can't get you alcohol...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Ari's plush trumped my sculpture for DVD screen time, so the war continues.

This year, the Tube will be set forth in cold cast resin.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    It's great how people totally eat up the Bawls marketing left & right.

Oh man energy for gaming and a glass bottle and people go shit crazy.

Drink some coffee or a rockstar. it's cheaper and will give you more of a boost.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    You go on and stick it to the man there, Weaver. Good boy!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Weaver wrote:

Drink some coffee or a rockstar. it's cheaper and will give you more of a boost.
    ok, lets negate that the caffeine in coffee and guarana caffeine produce different effects on the human physiology and jump straight to the taste factor, Rockstar tastes like shit in my opinion (yes an opinion! omgwtf flame away!).

other than that I totally agree with you. marketing is evil, boo hoo.....people are sheep, boo hoo.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    personally, i dont just drink bawls at pax. i drink it at home all the time. in fact, i had one today.

Nephirij on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Weaver wrote:

ok, lets negate that the caffeine in coffee and guarana caffeine produce different effects on the human physiology and jump straight to the taste factor, Rockstar tastes like shit in my opinion (yes an opinion! omgwtf flame away!).

other than that I totally agree with you. marketing is evil, boo hoo.....people are sheep, boo hoo.

Yeah. Rockstar doesn't taste that great.

Now...AMP...that tastes good.

Legacy on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Weaver wrote:

That Mountain Dew MDX stuff is much better then AMP though... Though generally, I just drink Monsters, since the closest place that sells Bawls that I know of is like, 15 miles out of town along a stretch of freeway that always backs up because of construction... Bawls are good, but I hate driving out there to buy a 12 pack...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Weaver wrote:

That Mountain Dew MDX stuff is much better then AMP though... Though generally, I just drink Monsters, since the closest place that sells Bawls that I know of is like, 15 miles out of town along a stretch of freeway that always backs up because of construction... Bawls are good, but I hate driving out there to buy a 12 pack...

Yes, it is much better. But it also doesn't do much of anything. Or so I've found.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    eelektrik wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Weaver wrote:

Yes, it is much better. But it also doesn't do much of anything. Or so I've found.

Yeah, which is another part of the reason I drink Monsters, for one I actually like the taste of it, and it does keep me awake for quite a while... Its what kept me going through all 29 hours of Zero Hour back in November and more importantly, through the drive home... Normally when Im up that long Im ready to crash, Im not accustomed to staying up past the 24 hour point.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    eelektrik wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Weaver wrote:

Yeah, which is another part of the reason I drink Monsters, for one I actually like the taste of it, and it does keep me awake for quite a while... Its what kept me going through all 29 hours of Zero Hour back in November and more importantly, through the drive home... Normally when Im up that long Im ready to crash, Im not accustomed to staying up past the 24 hour point.

Yup. That's what helped me stay very awake on the way up here.

An Amp every other stop and a bottle of water. Wakes me up very nice for a bit.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    I love diet rockstar.

Weaver on
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:

I have to agree, I prefer AMP to any of the other canned energy drinks. I tried that MDX stuff a few days ago and it was that nastiest thing I've had in a long time.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    CondorCondor Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I've never been to PAX. I've also never played a tabletop game before, or a CCG. But this round the clock playing time interests me. In the past, have there been beginner tables or beginner games?

Condor on
    "Don't make me come down there!" ~ God
  • Options
    patches.patches. Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Condor wrote:
    I've never been to PAX. I've also never played a tabletop game before, or a CCG. But this round the clock playing time interests me. In the past, have there been beginner tables or beginner games?
    I'd like to know the answer to that question too..

Would anyone happen to know who it would be I would ask about facilities for attendees with a media pass Vs. a normal pre-reg pas? Khoo?

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Condor wrote:

im pretty sure that you can find people who will let you use their stuff if you playing with them, as well as teach you how to play. if there is one thing board gamers like to do it is demo games. most of us aren't huge ass holes, so feel free to ask. but a few of us are, so sorry if you get yelled at.
    patches. wrote:
    Would anyone happen to know who it would be I would ask about facilities for attendees with a media pass Vs. a normal pre-reg pas? Khoo?

yeah, i'd ask khoo.

Nephirij on
  • Options
    EskoEsko Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Weaver wrote:

im still a fan of the Red Bull....$6 for 4 cans is a bit but its the best energy drink ive had so far...

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Condor wrote:

yeah same here.....i almost ordered the PA card set but im not a big tabletop or CCG player so..........

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    When I was in Iraq, there was this Hadji drink... can't remeber the name of it. It was the most insane energy drink I had ever had. All I remember was that it had a lot of nicotine(sp?) in it. After two of em I was shaking crazy like. Certainly helped me stay awake during guard duty!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Esko wrote:
    Condor wrote:

yeah same here.....i almost ordered the PA card set but im not a big tabletop or CCG player so..........

Well, from what I understand its not really a CCG, in that, you dont have to just keep buying boosters to get the cards you want. You buy specific pre-made decks for the UFS game system, in this case the Tycho and Gabe decks that come together, and just use those. You can then later change these decks using cards from other decks if you so choose but its nots required. Theyve also got decks based on Street Fighter and Soul Calibur characters that are compatible with the Gabe and Tycho decks. You just buy what you want and thats it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    .....i almost ordered the PA card set but im not a big tabletop or CCG player so..........[/quote]

i don't really like to play card games either . . . but i still bought the gabe and tycho decks

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    ShigTheNewtShigTheNewt Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Axen wrote:
    When I was in Iraq, there was this Hadji drink... can't remeber the name of it. It was the most insane energy drink I had ever had. All I remember was that it had a lot of nicotine(sp?) in it. After two of em I was shaking crazy like.

It probably had a great deal of nicotinamide, which is a B vitamin. Most energy drinks do these days. It probably made you shaky because it contained Ma Haung (ephedra) or Bitter Orange (synephrine) both of which are pretty severe stuff.

And here's my pick (as someone who works in the natural supplement industry... not that I'm an authority or anything) for the best energy drink so far: zipfizz. Although I am a huge fan of Bawls, simply because it tastes good, zipfizz has electrolytes and amino acids to actually help performance as well as alertness. I suppose for the same effect I could just drink bawls and emergen C or something.

ShigTheNewt on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    eelektrik wrote:
    Esko wrote:

Well, from what I understand its not really a CCG, in that, you dont have to just keep buying boosters to get the cards you want. You buy specific pre-made decks for the UFS game system, in this case the Tycho and Gabe decks that come together, and just use those. You can then later change these decks using cards from other decks if you so choose but its nots required. Theyve also got decks based on Street Fighter and Soul Calibur characters that are compatible with the Gabe and Tycho decks. You just buy what you want and thats it.

sounds cool....i might snag them at PAX if they have them available....i'll wait to see the game in action before i decide...

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    another n00b question. I know there are tabletop games going on, but are there any "classic" games going like chess, checkers, RISK, etc?

Condor on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Condor wrote:
    another n00b question. I know there are tabletop games going on, but are there any "classic" games going like chess, checkers, RISK, etc?

Bring one and make it happen. Nobody will stop you, and I'm sure lots of people will want to play.

Doc on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I would most certainly sit down and play some chess.

I'll bring my set. Also, if any of you don't desire to pollute your bodies with those energy drinks, I'll have plenty of tea.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    I have one of those chess sets where pieces are shot glasses.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Fill each with half a shot and drink on a capture! How far into the game can you get before you pass out/checkmate/vomit on the board?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Weaver wrote:
    I have one of those chess sets where pieces are shot glasses.
    I have one of those and a checkers set too, those are great fun for everyone.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Fill each with half a shot and drink on a capture! How far into the game can you get before you pass out/checkmate/vomit on the board?

I don't know, I can't ever get anyone to play against me.

Weaver on
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:

Bring one and make it happen. Nobody will stop you, and I'm sure lots of people will want to play.

How does the tabletop game room work? Is there a set schedule of games that are going to be offered? Something like, “John Doe's running Planescape at table 12 at 6pm, Whatshisface is running Deadlands at midnight at table 6" Or is the gaming room sort of an open free for all where you just see what's going on, and ask to play?

Pseudonym on
    Animal Crossing Wii: Kelly in Boomtown
    1934-4237-4812
    Fruit: Peaches, perhaps coconuts soon too!
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    be sure that Rae will will do the room up right, have no fear.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    GrifmastaGrifmasta Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    both times they had a few set times for tournaments and the rest is freeplay....mostly warhammer and roleplayers

Grifmasta on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Still have some questions on what to expect. Again, forgive the n00biness:

Are the video/PC/tabletop games and tournaments free to play and enter or are there fees? If so, how much?

Are there video/PC/tabletop games, cards, etc to buy?

What else do I need tp expect to pay for at PAX. I'm asking this because I'm building my budget and I need to know how much to bring.

Condor on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Condor wrote:
    Are the video/PC/tabletop games and tournaments free to play and enter or are there fees? If so, how much?
    Free.
    Condor wrote:
    Yes, Im sure there will be stuff to buy.
    Condor wrote:
    What else do I need tp expect to pay for at PAX.
    bawls, pocky & merch.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Free.
    Condor wrote:
    Yes, Im sure there will be stuff to buy.
    Condor wrote:
    bawls, pocky & merch.
    he forgot food.

Nephirij on
  • Options
    EmperorMingEmperorMing Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Nephirij wrote:
    flatrabbit wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    bawls, pocky & merch.
    he forgot food.

I would submit to you that he did not.

(Emphasis my own.)

EmperorMing on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I would have to disagree my young padawan. although he mentioned pocky, pocky alone is not enough to sustain one's self for three days with no sleep. beleive me, I have tried. when I said food, I meant actual food, not that pocky isn't, I was just mentioning food in general, to assert that pocky would not be the only resource, and that he might need more money if he were actually going to eat.

Nephirij on