Options

[WoW] [Shaman], Enhancing your PVPs like crazy

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I used a flask of flowing waters last night (+300 spir) as opposed to the Flask of draconic mind (+300 int) while raiding and focused on keeping water shield up, it made a good deal of difference in terms of mana longevity, so going forward I think I will be using the +300 spirit flask.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    300 int is infinitely superior to 300 spirit unless you're in a 25m and MTT botting (when looking at it through the lense of patch 4.0.6)

The difference in regen, after mathing it out, is something like 57 mana regen per second and you're losing ridiculous amounts of spellpower as well as base mana, which reduces regeneration from replenishment if you have it in your raid. Etc. etc.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    300 int is infinitely superior to 300 spirit unless you're in a 25m and MTT botting.

Not if I am having problems with mana regen and not throughput.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Get more spirit from your gear, not from a flask.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do we have a firm date on 4.0.6 from anywhere? I've heard enough crap where I'm not really willing to bite on "probably next week" at this point.

Rikidou Hyuuga on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Probably next week. Unless it hits problems with QA. Then probably the week after, even if it hits problems with QA, because Blizzard doesn't give a fuck.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there a good grid plugin for tracking earth shield? I'm looking for something with more granularity than dot/no dot.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I use grid and then either keep my ES target as my primary target or focus target them. Since I use hover macros for all my casts I have no reason to ever switch targets. As far as an actual mod for that... not that I am aware of. I am sure there is one out there.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TotemTimers

captaink on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there a good grid plugin for tracking earth shield? I'm looking for something with more granularity than dot/no dot.

www.wowace.com/addons/grid2/

Unless you have some plugin for Grid1 that you can't live without that Grid2 doesn't do.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I have a few gearing questions. This is my character.

1. I have this helmet that I would like to use, but I can't really find a place to get the spirit I would lose. Any ideas.

2. On a related note, I'm valor capped and have no idea what I should buy with my points. Any ideas? I would like to get something elemental focused, but something that works for resto as well would be fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just because you're losing spirit doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. Depends on what you get in return. You could gem and reforge it for spirit I guess?

Buy the tier set you'll use the most. The set bonus is the only thing that won't convert over, if not at optimal levels.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so to gear up, I have stuff from quests but I don't want to just dive in...

should I look to rep grinding a bit? or start at the lowest level instances to gain gear to progress?

this isn't a shaman specific question I guess but I feel safe here

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rep grinding is best in lvl 85 dungeons (Grim Batol, Tolvir, HoO). A heroic trash mob awards 15 rep, a normal trash mob 10, so the difference isn't that big.

I'd probably run normals while wearing an appropiate Tabard. Go for factions with good Revered rewards (ilevel 346 blues) first. You can grind the exalted epics out later in heroics. The normal bosses drop ilevel 333 blues.

From the three dungeons above HoO is the best for boss drops, because it has 8 bosses. Tolvir is best for rep, because there's lots of trash, and you can often convince the group to clear all of it. GB can suck hard, because people fail at dragon flying or even the second boss.

Don't forget to get your weapon from the Arena event in the Twilight Highlands.

Grobian on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    thanks a lot grob

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »

www.wowace.com/addons/grid2/

Unless you have some plugin for Grid1 that you can't live without that Grid2 doesn't do.

dammit, I just got done setting up grid1 and didn't even realize this existedj

have they addressed the config issues the forum discussion talks about?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't have any issues with mine for what that's worth. Though, somehow I missed the whole "more granularity than dot/no dot" and that's all it does by default and I'm unsure if you can say display charges or anything like that. Though, a quick look shows you can at least have it start blinking at a threshold.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Fatty-McPhatFatty-McPhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With the changes coming in the next patch, is the trinket still a good choice for first valor purchase?

Fatty-McPhat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm assuming you mean the int/click spirit trinket? The answer is no. Get a tear of blood and witching hourglass or mandala and work on your set instead, the 4piece is ridic.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Notable Elemental last minute patch notes:

-Earthquake's mana cost will be reduced by Clearcasting.
    -Earthquake's damage will now benefit from the Clearcasting 10% buff.

I rather doubt these were bugfixes, but they're welcome nonetheless.

Rikidou Hyuuga on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still can't believe how incredibly inept Blizzard are being with regards to +hit.

We all know that interupts are important now, but for a resto shaman to make their Windshears reliable, they have to spec 7 points into the Elemental Tree, and that comes at the cost of many things you'd typically take in the Enhancement tree.

I don't understand why there has been zero mention of the fact there are 2 specs now, that a resto shaman has to take if they want to raid.

The spec that allows them to interupt when a fight requires it, and then the 2nd spec which they then use when interupts aren't needed.

But then, that's only the tip of the amount of stupid, pig-headed stuff Blizzard does with the shaman class.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I assume you're talking about 10 mans? At least 2 (normally more) other people can interrupt in mine, so it's never really been an issue. Resto shamans should be low on the list of having to interrupt, but I suppose if you're stuck doing it...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about 10 mans? At least 2 (normally more) other people can interrupt in mine, so it's never really been an issue. Resto shamans should be low on the list of having to interrupt, but I suppose if you're stuck doing it...

Interupting, is part of a shaman's utility.

In fact, I'd say it was part of how a shaman heals, because Windshearing prevents damage being done (in addition to when Grounding decides to work or not).

Why can't there be a talent deep in the resto tree that allows my shears to hit, I don't know. Paladins have it in their holy tree, and they're all getting a base interupt in this next patch.

It carries over into Heroics where CC is meant to be important, but the group can't "rely" on you to land a hex (not as if you can recast it).

It's stupid.

But then, Blizzard's answer to Shaman saying "Totem buffs are a bit crap because of their mechanics" is to go "olol if you didn't like totems, you shouldn't have rolled a shaman" despite the fact the chucklefucks seem to ignore that alot of shaman rolled the class back in the day when Totem buffs were unique and powerful, as opposed to being the same as everyone elses buffs.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can't wait to buy the madela trinket from TB when the patch hits. Curious to see how much the temp int buff will boost healing stream totem and healing rain.

The valor grind is slow when you are only clearing 4 bosses a week.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I still can't believe how incredibly inept Blizzard are being with regards to +hit.

We all know that interupts are important now, but for a resto shaman to make their Windshears reliable, they have to spec 7 points into the Elemental Tree, and that comes at the cost of many things you'd typically take in the Enhancement tree.

I don't understand why there has been zero mention of the fact there are 2 specs now, that a resto shaman has to take if they want to raid.

The spec that allows them to interupt when a fight requires it, and then the 2nd spec which they then use when interupts aren't needed.

But then, that's only the tip of the amount of stupid, pig-headed stuff Blizzard does with the shaman class.
    The missable interrupts issue is not at all a stupid, pig-headed design limited to shamans.

forty on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Healers aren't supposed to be a reliable interrupt.

The more annoying thing is hit ratings interaction with our CC. Not just CC missing but also CC breaking early.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You could make the same argument that healers should not be reliable CC. The problem is healers at times do need to CC and interupt and missing one or the other can be a big issue. The simple and IMO elegant solution to this is simply make CC and interupts 100% to hit. I really see no negative draw backs to this.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mutilate wrote: »
    You could make the same argument that healers should not be reliable CC. The problem is healers at times do need to CC and interupt and missing one or the other can be a big issue. The simple and IMO elegant solution to this is simply make CC and interupts 100% to hit. I really see no negative draw backs to this.

Because healing is hard enough, don't want to have to interrupt too if I can get a dps to do it!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Because healing is hard enough, don't want to have to interrupt too if I can get a dps to do it!

Pretty much. The encounter design assumes healers can't always interrupt.

For CC, it's easier to do, since it's done at the start of the pull and doesn't really come at the expense of healign. But really, missing a CC isn't a big deal (you shouldn't be giving your healer mandatory needs-to-be-CCed targets anyway). The more annoying part again is that even if your CC hits, there's something weird going on with Healer CC where it always breaks early.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Of course, if you have a DPS that can offer an interupt or a CC that is preffered. Sometimes you don't have that option (obviously I am talking about 5 man content more than raids). Regardless I still don't see any reason not to make the interupt or CC effect 100% to hit.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    Apparently tanks aren't either, amirite?

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Pretty much. Missable interrupts forces you to bring the class, not the player for 10m raiding. Not that a ton of other current encounter designs don't also, but this one is pretty glaring.

There is literally no reason that interrupts should be able to miss in a PvE environment.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Nope, not really. Shit, I'm pretty sure they've actually SAID that one specifically when the Paladins were bitching about not having an interrupt. Getting hit capped at Heroic or lower raiding gear levels for a tank comes at a huge loss in survivability.

As to healers, they aren't targeting the mob all the time and aren't focusing their attention on it. They are busy doing other shit. Encounters aren't designed with healers interrupting in mind.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    As to healers, they aren't targeting the mob all the time and aren't focusing their attention on it. They are busy doing other shit.
    If you suck maybe. The shitty ones will complain that they are too focused on something else. The good ones will put the boss on focus and hit interrupt if they see a cast bar.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Nope, not really. Shit, I'm pretty sure they've actually SAID that one specifically when the Paladins were bitching about not having an interrupt. Getting hit capped at Heroic or lower raiding gear levels for a tank comes at a huge loss in survivability.
    And then they went ahead and gave prot paladins an interrupt, so I mean obviously that shows you how much Blizzard stood by that decision.

Now if they can just axe a little more of their hubris and do the same for interrupts/CCs, the game will be even better for it.

Hit rating should be solely a DPS stat like all the other combat ratings, not a barrier to having your character be responsible for not wiping the group.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    As to healers, they aren't targeting the mob all the time and aren't focusing their attention on it. They are busy doing other shit.
    If you suck maybe. The shitty ones will complain that they are too focused on something else. The good ones will put the boss on focus and hit interrupt if they see a cast bar.
    Yup, my guild has at least one great resto shaman who will interrupt whenever he can. If your UI is setup for it, it's not particularly difficult to target a mob that casts while being able to heal everyone else, and having a nice, big casting bar appear close to your raid health bars that you can easily see with your peripheral vision.

It's just stupid that he has to give up an otherwise superior raid healer spec just for WS to become reliable. Also, holy paladins are about to be able to become regular interrupters in some encounters (mainly ones without a lot of movement).

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

If you always have the opportunity to drop everything you are doing to throw out an interrupt, you aren't doing anything terribly challenging.

It's not about focus macros and the like, it's about the fact that most things that need interrupting aren't things you can wait on your next healing wave to finish casting before dealing with.

You should be interrupting as much as possible as a resto shammy, but you are not reliable because there will be times when other shit is more important.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

And then they went ahead and gave prot paladins an interrupt, so I mean obviously that shows you how much Blizzard stood by that decision.

Now if they can just axe a little more of their hubris and do the same for interrupts/CCs, the game will be even better for it.

Hit rating should be solely a DPS stat like all the other combat ratings, not a barrier to having your character be responsible for not wiping the group.

They gave Prot pallies an interrupt yes. An interrupt that will still miss. All tank have similar interrupts now and all of them are on the melee hit chance, but tanks aren't really hit capped. A tank interrupt is still not 100% reliable. They haven't really gone back on that design decision.

Though for tanks I agree it should be, since interrupting and controlling the mobs is part of the job.

For healers, I don't think it's that vital. Healers have more important shit to do then babysit enemy mob casts.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

They gave Prot pallies an interrupt yes. An interrupt that will still miss. All tank have similar interrupts now and all of them are on the melee hit chance, but tanks aren't really hit capped. A tank interrupt is still not 100% reliable. They haven't really gone back on that design decision.
    Mind Freeze doesn't use melee hit. And they have gone back on it since the complaint was that prot paladins didn't have an interrupt, period, not that they didn't have an interrupt that also couldn't miss.
    shryke wrote:
    Though for tanks I agree it should be, since interrupting and controlling the mobs is part of the job.

For healers, I don't think it's that vital. Healers have more important shit to do then babysit enemy mob casts.
    So your justification for stupid design is, in addition to the standard of status quo, the existence of some healers with interrupts?

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

If you always have the opportunity to drop everything you are doing to throw out an interrupt, you aren't doing anything terribly challenging.

It's not about focus macros and the like, it's about the fact that most things that need interrupting aren't things you can wait on your next healing wave to finish casting before dealing with.

You should be interrupting as much as possible as a resto shammy, but you are not reliable because there will be times when other shit is more important.
    Anything you have to interrupt is going to do far more damage then you were going to heal in a single cast. Cata raids are designed so that people don't die in the span of 1-2 seconds. You do have time to interrupt, and that interrupt is going to save you mana and time from having to heal whatever the fuck it would've done if you hadn't.

JAEF on