As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]out

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Incredibly shitty mood today. Read an article that cut really deep into old wounds.

Echo on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Equality is strange. Women have it worse, no one will argue otherwise. But you'll often find people who decide that because of that, every women's issue gets priority, and that men's issues are so low on the totem pole as to be an after thought, if not negligible. Issues that mainly affect women, but also affect men, must be handled from the women's angle first and foremost, according to some. And it's strange. I'm all for equality, but not if it's a balancing of scales where one side is neglected while the other side receives sole focus until the two sides are matched. Both sides should receive attention, you'd think that would be implied by the word Equality.

ugh, feminism is not egalitarianism.
    feminist views on "equality" are typically not actually about being "equal" and it is really frustrating.

/notafeminist

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Equality is strange. Women have it worse, no one will argue otherwise. But you'll often find people who decide that because of that, every women's issue gets priority, and that men's issues are so low on the totem pole as to be an after thought, if not negligible. Issues that mainly affect women, but also affect men, must be handled from the women's angle first and foremost, according to some. And it's strange. I'm all for equality, but not if it's a balancing of scales where one side is neglected while the other side receives sole focus until the two sides are matched. Both sides should receive attention, you'd think that would be implied by the word Equality.

You don't see many marches for colon or prostate cancer thats for sure

There needs to be more awareness of both, as they are both pretty damn fatal right?

the gift bags are a little extreme at their events tho

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Galahad wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I grew up in a Matriarchy.

The aggregated family unit in America takes the nature of a patriarchy

outliers are exceptions that prove the point

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

There needs to be more awareness of both, as they are both pretty damn fatal right?

Fuck both.

If we want equality we need to start ignoring breast cancer until the average life expectancy of women falls to match that of men in this country.

Only then can we start paying attention to women's health issues again.

Otherwise you're just perpetuating inequality.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

We're a generation of men raised by women, and I'm thinking is another woman really what we need?

Let me show you to the door.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I recall prostate cancer being more fatal than breast cancer, but breast cancer being more common.

Echo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Men die earlier jeep because we have to put up with women, its nature giving us sweet release.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

the gift bags are a little extreme at their events tho

and the brown awareness ribbons never really caught on

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

feminist views on "equality" are typically not actually about being "equal" and it is really frustrating.

/notafeminist
    [citation required]

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

/notafeminist

Thank you, Mister Limbaugh.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

/notafeminist

Cept tape's a woman last I checked jucar, but you go ahead and ignore her point of view because you don't agree with it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just watched the South Park Queefing episode so I'm now completely suited to discuss feminism

Eddy on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

The aggregated family unit in America takes the nature of a patriarchy

outliers are exceptions that prove the point

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say anything about anything larger than me.

And like most things I'm also pretty sure this is something that changed when I left backwoods Canada and moved to the US.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Men die earlier jeep because we have to put up with women, its nature giving us sweet release.

this post is best read in the voice of Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

/notafeminist

Cept tape's a woman last I checked jucar, but you go ahead and ignore her point of view because you don't agree with it.

"The world is flat" is also a point of view. And I don't care what slinger's crotch looks like, they're still goosing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Preacher checks all the forumers.

Echo on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

/notafeminist

She watches The Venture Bros. and enjoys it. She is basically a man!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

this post is best read in the voice of Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden

Bang zoom to the moon alice!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »

But will not countenance inter or trans options for his 50 character database field.

japan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Facebook giving me ads about "Women seeking older men".

I'm 30, goddamnit.

Echo on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

Except that both (or multiple) sides of these issues do get attention.

"Why don't you care more about men?" or "Why don't you care more about white people?" is first and foremost a way to shut up women and non-white activist types and distract them from focusing on the issues that disproportionately impact them. It sets a completely vague and ever-shifting goalpost of "paying enough attention" to the presumed negative impact of certain cultural or social or political norms on whites and/or men.

I'd use "the p-word" but apparently that's anathema in these discussions.

That just sounds dismissive. Asking for equal attention on certain issues isn't a tactic to keep people down, it is a legitimate request, deserving of a response.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, the opinions of every woman should and must be listened to and considered as valid and important.

Unless they're feminists.

Because, fuck them crazy bitches, right fellas?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm 30, goddamnit.

75% up the hill!

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    straight white men get a lot of shit preacher

glad to see you're still fighting the good fight

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have you all indexed with choice words describing each and every forumer.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    desc get your butt into CF

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Except that both (or multiple) sides of these issues do get attention.

"Why don't you care more about men?" or "Why don't you care more about white people?" is first and foremost a way to shut up women and non-white activist types and distract them from focusing on the issues that disproportionately impact them. It sets a completely vague and ever-shifting goalpost of "paying enough attention" to the presumed negative impact of certain cultural or social or political norms on whites and/or men.

I'd use "the p-word" but apparently that's anathema in these discussions.

It's basically "don't shoot the messenger." And you're right, it's a damn effective criticism tactic, Al Gore is practically a walking joke these days because of those kinds of criticism.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't care about yer gender issues! It's bad design!

Bad design is the one eternal truth.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, the opinions of every woman should and must be listened to and considered as valid and important.

Unless they're feminists.

Because, fuck them crazy bitches, right fellas?

I don't want to fuck any crazy bitches.....

but can we just ignore the crazy people regardless of what they believe in?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have you all indexed with choice words describing each and every forumer.

are mine "ghost" and "fucker"

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    uuuungh tomorrow is all day non-stop class

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm 30, goddamnit.

In a strange societal regression, teenagers of today expect to be pregnant by 14.

japan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'll even extend support to the gay white men eddy, this is an olive branch I'm ok to extend as long as you don't like stick it up your ass.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, I had to read the Moynihan Reports for an af-am class

That shit is sad to read about, but it makes a somewhat bizarre conclusion that the matriarchal undertones of African American families was what was causing all the black people's problems and that they'd be better off if only they could somehow maintain the nuclear family composition

Now I'm not exactly a cultural relativist but I think Moynihan missed the forest for the trees

The good old 1960s, right?

Eddy on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, the film was certainly not a pleasant experience, but I'd still say it's a well made one.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm 30, goddamnit.

I'm just happy they got rid of all the "[Your Age] and still single?" ads. I don't like advertising that is literally taunting me for my lack of romantic success.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The general thrust of feminism, outside of ignorant teenage misandrists, is that things which are typically considered feminine shouldn't be considered innately lesser than things typically considered masculine, and that people of whatever gender should be able to participate in those things without stigma.

Feminism says that women should be able to wear suits AND be doting caretakers and men can wear suits AND be doting caretakers and that whatever they choose is cool.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

/notafeminist

"The world is flat" is also a point of view. And I don't care what slinger's crotch looks like, they're still goosing.

So you've got nothing then?

Just insults?

Seems like you'd have some sort of coherent point or argument if you were really so terribly right and others so terribly wrong.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Remember this if you ever get in a custody hearing.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.