Options

Swedish [chat]

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just watched a video about preparing soft-shelled crab. The chef seemed to recommend execution by cutting their face off with scissors. That is a bit too brutal for my tastes.

That said, they did look delicious.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Linden wrote: »
    finally winning a game

then

WINDOWS UPDATE

Gotta fix those settings

Windows Update Settings

Offer updates:
    O Weekly
    O Daily
    X Whenever I appear to be in the middle of something

This'd be kind of fun to design. "When is the single most frustrating time to demand updates?"
    Maybe monitor input rates, and also ten minutes after being attached to a projector.

I swear to god they already do this one. Anyone who has ever attended a university lecture can attest.

This was, in fact, what made me think about it. I suspect that the default timeout also comes into play here as well, because I've seen the same alert three goddamn times in a single session.

Linden on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder what first book I should buy for the Kindle. I had some ideas but they do not seem to be available in ereader versions. I have purchased a magazine sub though, which is kind of cool - Asimov's solid text format lends itself well to an ereader I think

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I wonder what first book I should buy for the Kindle. I had some ideas but they do not seem to be available in ereader versions. I have purchased a magazine sub though, which is kind of cool - Asimov's solid text format lends itself well to an ereader I think

Whatever is substantially cheaper than a paperback is a solid rule of thumb.

Also, I have a bundle of new books because my Dad popped them in this package of redirected mail and plug socket adaptors.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Whatever is substantially cheaper than a paperback is a solid rule of thumb.

Also, I have a bundle of new books because my Dad popped them in this package of redirected mail and plug socket adaptors.

Good idea. I am toying with a newspaper sub as well. That would be rather amusing, if it ends up that I've purchased a device that acts largely as an elaborate magazine and newspaper reader

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've not experimented with sticking periodicals on my eReader. It's an interesting idea.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My room is a lot tidier now!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Susprising nobody, Cambridge says they will charge the maximum new fees level of £9,000 a year.

Gasp.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Guys, advice please!

I got a couple of hours off this morning for doing a release last night. Now that I'm using them, I'm not sure if I can drag myself into work. Should I e-mail my manager and take the rest of the day off?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Susprising nobody, Cambridge says they will charge the maximum new fees level of £9,000 a year.

Gasp.

Yes, but only 6k for the poorest! Hurr- wait, that still pretty much means that they won't be able to afford to go to university there.

Unless student loans will increase to encapsulate the fees? Still, they'll have to work their arses off to meet costs of living while not failing out.

Hurray for our benevolent government.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    this girl on OKC really knows how to turn me on

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
    I probably spend way too much time anthropomorphizing my cat

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Gasp.

Yes, but only 6k for the poorest! Hurr- wait, that still pretty much means that they won't be able to afford to go to university there.

Unless student loans will increase to encapsulate the fees? Still, they'll have to work their arses off to meet costs of living while not failing out.

But Mojo, people have to pay for services they take advantage of, it's only fair!

Also, my phone credit is £11.11 exactly. :P

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Still, they'll have to work their arses off to meet costs of living while not failing out.

And, despite the fact that we have the same issue here, the US students still scare the hell out of me.

Linden on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Exactly, and it's well known that the wealth of your parents translates directly to your potential, so it's for the best. Keep the plebs in the mines.

Wait, we don't have mines any more.

Keep the plebs in the Wetherspoons while the rest of us keep this country running.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    David Cameron is Andrew Ryan*!

*No he isn't

Also, should I take the rest of the day off, or go into work at 11am?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    RMS you must go to work, the Shareholders need you and the children need a role model. It is your duty, son

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    RMS you must go to work, the Shareholders need you and the children need a role model. It is your duty, son

You are not my father, we don't have any shareholders (directly), and I don't have any children.

Your move.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You're up, so you may as well go in and save the day off for something more useful.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am tempted to pick up a cheap copy of BioShock for the PS3 and see if I can get all the Trophies in one playthrough. Is this dumb? Y/Y

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am tempted to pick up a cheap copy of BioShock for the PS3 and see if I can get all the Trophies in one playthrough. Is this dumb? Y/Y

I don't think that's possible

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »

I don't think that's possible

Oh it is. It's just really hard because you need to play:
    - On Survivor (Super Hard) mode
    - With Vita-Chambers switched off
    - And spurn the most optimal use of your ADAM you could use to survive this by acquiring every tonic (not plasmid) you can.

All the other stuff is gravy compared to those three facts colliding together.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I will never view alcoholism like I view diabetes or lupus, period. Because I will never feel pity for hating my alcoholic wife beating grandfather until his dying day (which unfortunately hasn't occurred yet.)

If addiction being a disease means feeling an ounce of sympathy for wastes of oxygen like that, I'd rather be ignorant.

Mental diseases often cause people to act poorly, new at 11!

he could've gotten help, news at 11.
    Well, yeah. Plenty of people with diseases fail to get help. That is kind of a huge problem.

the difference is, people with diabetes deserve sympathy. Destructive alcoholics do not.

I know this is WAAAAAAY overdue.

But what? If you're overweight, with type 2 diabetes, you don't deserve sympathy. Just like if you're 65 with COPD and you've smoked your entire life you don't deserve sympathy.

You've done that to yourself.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You are not my father, we don't have any shareholders (directly), and I don't have any children.

Your move.

1. I am trying repurpose the word 'son' to mean anyone younger than me
    2. Shareholder should be taken to refer to any owner or controlling interest
    3. Children are a joy
    4. Sometimes doing the right thing is hard
    5. South London is horrible

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Your move.

1. I am trying repurpose the word 'son' to mean anyone younger than me
    2. Shareholder should be taken to refer to any owner or controlling interest
    3. Children are a joy
    4. Sometimes doing the right thing is hard
    5. South London is horrible

I think we shall conclude the discussion on this agreement. :)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    some of my teeth are altogether too sharp.

I need a method to blunt them

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah the brown skies of Croydon.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    some of my teeth are altogether too sharp.

I need a method to blunt them

I just had a dream that two of my teeth were rotten at the base and they fell out.

It was horrible.

Daxon on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    I will never view alcoholism like I view diabetes or lupus, period. Because I will never feel pity for hating my alcoholic wife beating grandfather until his dying day (which unfortunately hasn't occurred yet.)

If addiction being a disease means feeling an ounce of sympathy for wastes of oxygen like that, I'd rather be ignorant.

Mental diseases often cause people to act poorly, new at 11!

he could've gotten help, news at 11.
    Well, yeah. Plenty of people with diseases fail to get help. That is kind of a huge problem.

the difference is, people with diabetes deserve sympathy. Destructive alcoholics do not.

But what? If you're overweight, with type 2 diabetes, you don't deserve sympathy. Just like if you're 65 with COPD and you've smoked your entire life you don't deserve sympathy.

It's a real shame you're going to be a doctor, you know that?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

It's a real shame you're going to be a doctor, you know that?

It's a good thing I've grown very adept at hiding my true feelings while expressing empathy to the plight of any patient.

I can pretty much guarantee you that any doctor that sees a obese person walk in to their clinic will automatically have thought they're diabetic, and if their knees/hips are going as well they won't be the slightest bit surprised either.

I have never heard a doctor privately express any sympathy for their problems, because it's obvious what has caused them and it was their own damn fault.

Unless like they had Cushing's disease or a thyroid problem or something - because that does deserve sympathy. Patients who gain weight while on steroids also deserve sympathy - because that's probably the only treatment available to treat their condition and you would like to have something less horrible for them to take.

Daxon on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    just played starcraft til I won

except I never did

lost 5 in a row and missed some games I wanted to watch

what a retard.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Type 1 diabetes you can't help getting so.. yeah. (deserves sympathy)

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

This is getting complicated, could you make a chart in the style of informationisbeautiful to illustrate medical conditions which do and do not deserve sympathy.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

This is getting complicated, could you make a chart in the style of informationisbeautiful to illustrate medical conditions which do and do not deserve sympathy.

Deserves sympathy:
    - It's not your fault/you can't change it.

Doesn't:
    - You did this to yourself.

Pretty simple actually.

Daxon on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Daxon, you should give some serious thought to the various ways in which you are a person without worth.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Explanation lacks simple yet effective graphics, D-.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Deserves sympathy:

Doesn't:

Pretty simple actually.

What if you did it to yourself after being duped by a nutritionist or other such person who cloaks their claims in Science?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Explanation lacks simple yet effective graphics, D-.

:(

Well jacob, if you have a better way of thinking about the world go ahead and offer it.

NB: just because I don't have any sympathy for their plight doesn't mean I don't think they deserve healthcare or whatnot - cause everyone deserves that and I'll treat them equally healthcare-wise. If you understand the consequences of action A and you know it massively increases the risk of consequence B but you still do A - it's your fucking fault.

Which is why it's important to prophylacticy (sp?) educate the population so they stop doing A and getting B.

I've sat in at a clinic with people coming in and the doctor starts explaining why they have X and they just stop them and say "yeah, I've heard the lecture hundreds of times. I get it" and I just think "THEN WHY HAVE YOU DONE NOTHING?!"

It is mind-boggling.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Deserves sympathy:

Doesn't:

Pretty simple actually.

What if you did it to yourself after being duped by a nutritionist or other such person who cloaks their claims in Science?

That would deserve sympathy because your trust was misused and the duper is a dickhead who should be sued.

If you then continue to believe in your mambo jambo and this happens to you several times I would begin to doubt your capacity to exercise basic thought.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I feel really sad for Doctor Janice Polito. :(

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I believe everyone deserves sympathy

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch