As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How the hell can I afford to live in California?

Pinch-a-LoafPinch-a-Loaf Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Getting married next month. Fiancee and I found a beautiful apartment in Irvine, CA that we absolutely love. We would very much like to move there from Scottsdale, AZ in April. I've been given the green light by my company to move anywhere in the US and work from home. The problem is, we chose California and now my company's VP/CFO is telling me about all these crazy costs of living there that basically make it entirely unaffordable for us.

#1) Rent: It's much higher. We know that. We found a place that we would be able to afford, if not for...

#2) Health Insurance: Living in AZ, or most other states, it would cost me $100/month to cover my wife and I through my company's plan. VP/CFO is telling me that if I move to Irvine it will cost me $700/month for similar coverage.

#3) Income Tax: VP/CFO is telling me that, not only is income tax higher there, there are additional income taxes taken by the city/county/whatever that are not taken in AZ.

Basically I am super frustrated right now because we spent months finding where we want to live, and now that we have found it we're being told that we can't. We already understood that rent would cost more, gas would cost more, all that...but the addition of #2 and #3 pretty much blow our budget away.

Is my VP/CFO correct about these things? Has anyone moved from AZ to CA in the past few years that could offer me some insight about these surprise (to me, anyway) costs of living there? What did your paycheck look like the month after you moved vs the month before you moved? VP/CFO seems to be being a real butthead about this issue, and I can't put my finger on why. Like maybe he just doesn't want another employing moving out of state and telecommuting (even though he telecommutes from another state himself). So in a way it feels like he might possibly be exaggerating things to accomplish some hidden agenda.

Pinch-a-Loaf on

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    (i moved to CA from NY/Mass, so not exactly the same)

I've certainly never paid local income taxes... state taxes are higher than some other places, but we're talking about $1k/year on a $30k/year income, so not thousands

Property taxes are high-ish, but if you're renting that's not a concern

As far as I know, there's no reason health insurance should cost that much more in CA... it's possible that your company has a much shittier deal with a CA provider, but that seems absurdly high for health insurance

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You will have to check with the city and county you are moving to check their income tax rates or if they even collect income tax at all. I personally don't pay and local income tax. The state income tax is higher than other places, but it shouldn't break the bank.

That insurance increase sounds absolutely absurd. I would definitely talk to your benefits person about that and see what it would actually cost.

Are you getting any sort of raise in the move? California employers generally pay more than other places because the cost of living is higher. Not enough more to totally offset the cost of living increase, but enough to help. If you're making an Arizona wage and paying California cost of living, your budget might get tight.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you can work anywhere in the country, but your salary is fixed, then logically you should be looking to move to the lowest cost of living area you can tolerate and start saving money.

It seems like you're planning to do the opposite, which is just not a good idea.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He hates filling out paperwork come tax season for out of state employees.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you can work anywhere in the country, but your salary is fixed, then logically you should be looking to move to the lowest cost of living area you can tolerate and start saving money.

It seems like you're planning to do the opposite, which is just not a good idea.

Yeah dude, you are doing it wrong. If you have to move, look for a new job post haste.
    If you can stall it, don't "decide" to live in CA, until you have a job that pays CA wages.

EDIT: Anecdote about the COL discrepancy. I have a buddy in Wichitah, KA that told me he made $50,000 and my gut reaction as a NYC guy was "How the fuck do you live??"

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As a comparison, a friend of mine was offered $X,000 starting salary right out of graduate school around Richmond, VA. She was offered $(1.3*X),000 per year near Washington, DC. A couple hours of driving can drastically affect one's salary.

So yeah, I would definitely recommend living someplace cheap if your salary doesn't make a difference. CA is not where you want to be.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

Yeah dude, you are doing it wrong. If you have to move, look for a new job post haste.
    If you can stall it, don't "decide" to live in CA, until you have a job that pays CA wages.

Quoted for agreement and lime!

Also, newlyweds. There will be plenty of opportunities for friction, and finances are the most common one. Don't stress your brand new marriage unnecessarily.

Frem on
  • Options
    PrioPrio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    #2, talk to your company's benefits administrator and get a real answer

#3, CA's top income tax bracket for this year is 9.55% (full breakdown here), and Irvine has a 8.75% sales tax.

Couple of other things to consider: it isn't just income tax rate, sales tax and rent that is more expensive in CA. Everything is going to be more expensive in CA with the possible exception of produce (since we grow it all).
    Additionally, CA is in a terrible financial state at the moment and is likely to either cut benefits or increase taxes, fees etc in the near future.

What is it about Irvine that makes you want to move there?

Prio on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gas and commute time will also be factors. Really is a bad idea to even consider moving to California right now. Much as was said above, I made DECENT money in California and had to move away because of the cost of living.

It's still going up at a substantial rate vs. the rest of the nation. If you can "just get by" now. You wont be able to in a year, you'll be falling behind.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PrioPrio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If he's working from home, he'll be able to skip the legendary southern california traffic.

Also consider your future salary growth, does your company factor cost of living adjustments into wage changes?

Prio on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You have an incredible amount of freedom and opportunity to save money here.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Prio wrote: »
    If he's working from home, he'll be able to skip the legendary southern california traffic.

Also consider your future salary growth, does your company factor cost of living adjustments into wage changes?
    Provided he never leaves his home, yes, he'll be able to skip the traffic.

As someone who moved out of California three years ago: my advice is not to move to California. That being said, the local income taxes usually top out at 1-2%, and if that's going to kill your ability to live there, you don't really make enough to be able to live there, anyway; you should have a much larger cushion than that.

What attracted you to Irvine? Maybe we can give you some recommendations for other places (which are more affordable) you can be looking at.

Edit: I should point out that I was born and raised in California, moved out to go to college on the East Coast, then moved back for a couple of years, then moved to Seattle. So, it's not like I moved there, and then left in six months or something.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

As someone who moved out of California three years ago: my advice is not to move to California. That being said, the local income taxes usually top out at 1-2%, and if that's going to kill your ability to live there, you don't really make enough to be able to live there, anyway; you should have a much larger cushion than that.

What attracted you to Irvine? Maybe we can give you some recommendations for other places (which are more affordable) you can be looking at.

As someone who was born and raised in California: my advice is the exact same.

The cost of moving TO California is insane. When I moved away, I took around a 40% pay cut, and am still coming out better off. Unless you have an in-demand type of job, the major (coastal) cities in California are probably out.

Yeah you could move to Chico or Red Bluff or Redding (I'm from Chico actually), but then what's the point? I love it because it's home, but I'd rather live in Oakland or Walnut Creek or something.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

As someone who was born and raised in California: my advice is the exact same.

The cost of moving TO California is insane. When I moved away, I took around a 40% pay cut, and am still coming out better off. Unless you have an in-demand type of job, the major (coastal) cities in California are probably out.

Yeah you could move to Chico or Red Bluff or Redding (I'm from Chico actually), but then what's the point? I love it because it's home, but I'd rather live in Oakland or Walnut Creek or something.
    Living in the middle of nowhere in California (Mendo county), my cost of living was about what it is living in Seattle. Which, to my mind, is ridiculous, given that the whole point of living in the middle of nowhere is that it's cheap.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    EDIT: Anecdote about the COL discrepancy. I have a buddy in Wichitah, KA that told me he made $50,000 and my gut reaction as a NYC guy was "How the fuck do you live??"

I'd cut my dick off to make that much right now (ok, not really, but close).

Maybe try a different area of Cali? It's kind of a big state and the cost of living can vary quite a bit. I'm looking at a Forest Service position in Weaverville, CA where the median income is about 30k. Maybe expand your search to a smaller town farther from LA?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I live in Orange county at the moment (about 5-10 minutes outside Irvine) and am currently looking for a new apartment myself. Irvine is among the safest cities in the US (it got rated #1 in recent years) it's also among the most expensive areas if you're set on Orange County. I'd recommend checking Tustin, Costa Mesa, Lake Forest or the southern areas like Dana Point and San Clemente. The first 3 vary widely from million dollar home ritzy to semi-ghetto (there's no real ghetto like you'll find in LA in OC but it can get very trashy in spots) so I wouldn't really want to move there without seeing the place first.

As far as Health insurance goes I don't have much of a point of reference as I've never lived outside CA, but for a barebones plan I pay almost $100 for just myself

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the insight, guys. I know that I get annoyed when someone comes here and asks for advice and then ignores it. On the other hand, what's so damn sweet about the status quo? :) Have any of you seen Reservation Road? I'm feeling a bit like them right now. It's their lifelong dream to move to Paris but they keep finding excuses not to, and when they finally decide to go everyone just tells them how stupid and crazy that is.

I've pretty much always played it safe and saved my money. But there are all kinds of people living in desirable coastal California cities. I (only?) make $55,000/year but I'm sure many of those people manage to get by on less. I've got some money in savings as a safety net and I'm very tempted to accept the risk and go for it. My fiancee will hopefully find a job there semi-quickly and maybe her California-based employer will offer us better California-based benefits such as health insurance.

Why Irvine? As I think someone said, we don't really want to move to California just to live an hour or so away from the coast. That would really diminish the point for me. We did quite a bit of looking up and down the coast in San Diego and Orange Counties and this complex we found in Irvine stands head and shoulders above all the rest we've seen. We were disappointed by place after place and just not very excited until we found this one. It's in the same price range as many of those that we were not excited about too.

What gives me the greatest pause is what Frem said:
    Also, newlyweds. There will be plenty of opportunities for friction, and finances are the most common one. Don't stress your brand new marriage unnecessarily.

That one we are going to have to be very careful with. I certainly don't want that. I also don't want to feel the regret and "what if" from Reservation Road. This week I've been bombarded by people at work convincing me that we can't or shouldn't move there, but my fiancee keeps reminding me of the perspective that says "why the heck not?" I think we're gonna do it. It's not the craziest thing anybody ever did. Playing it safe does not always necessarily turn out to be the best decision. We have the budget to pay the expensive rent and gas and all that. And a 1-2% income tax isn't going to kill us. It's really just this health insurance thing, which I guess we're going to have to make work one way or the other.

Is there anybody here that has had to temporarily go without health insurance because you couldn't afford it? Got any info or advice about how that has worked out when health issues come up?

Pinch-a-Loaf on
  • Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I've pretty much always played it safe and saved my money. But there are all kinds of people living in desirable coastal California cities. I (only?) make $55,000/year but I'm sure many of those people manage to get by on less. I've got some money in savings as a safety net and I'm very tempted to accept the risk and go for it. My fiancee will hopefully find a job there semi-quickly and maybe her California-based employer will offer us better California-based benefits such as health insurance.

[/B]

55K no major expenses + a second income on the way you will be fine. It will be a lower quality of life then else ware but there are a bunch of positives to California . Just keep your monthly stuff done to a reasonable level.

stormbringer on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there anybody here that has had to temporarily go without health insurance because you couldn't afford it? Got any info or advice about how that has worked out when health issues come up?

It's a very very risky move to intentionally go without health-care. Odds are you can get by without incident, but if you do run into an unexpected illness or injury, you can kiss your life-savings good-bye. Anecdotal, but I had a girlfriend who got a job shortly after graduating college. Her college insurance coverage lapsed, and in the 3 month or so period between that and her new job's health insurance kicking in, she came down with a life-threatening illness. She was in the hospital for around a month and the bill just from the hospital (not including dozens of doctor fees that were billed separately) came to over $100,000. She was eventually able to negotiate it down to around $20,000.

If extending coverage to your fiancee through your work insurance is too expensive, have her at least get a policy with good maximum coverage but a very high deductible. That way if anything catastrophic happens, you two will only be out a couple thousand of dollars instead of everything.

P.S. If she had any money in savings or assets, she probably wouldn't have been able to bargain down as much.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    It's one thing to go without healthcare for an extended time if you're single. It's madness to willingly enter into a situation where you and your wife are without healthcare. And what if she ends up getting pregnant? If you go ahead with this, you damn well better agree what you as a couple will do if she does get pregnant without healthcare.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I live reasonably comfortably in a coastal city in California on $50k a year while also supporting my husband and putting us both through school. Actually, we even managed (though it was hard at times) when we were newly-wed and I was only earning $37k.

I love living here and if you think you would too I'd definitely consider at least trying it!

The healthcare sounds strange to me. I have the more expensive healthcare option at work and handle the benefits so I know exactly how much it costs the company... and even if I were to pay 100% that'd still only be $450 a month for both me and my husband (we are in our 20s - presuming you are too; costs do admittedly get ridiculously high the older you are). I don't see why, if the healthcare coverage your company has extends nationwide, why the costs should be so much higher in California as opposed to other states. Is there someone other than the VP/CFO you can ask about it?

I'd not recommend going without coverage... although having said that we were without coverage for a year. I was constantly paranoid, however! I've known people become bankrupt through a necessary emergency medical procedure - we were very, very lucky not to have anything happen to us during that time.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My soon-to-be wife and I are both in our 20s; both non-smokers with no prescription medicines or pre-existing illnesses.

The VP/CFO is our benefits person, but like I said he seems to have some hidden agenda because he's been uncharacteristically short with me about the whole situation. He seems to want to scare me off the idea and leave it alone. On day 1 he threw some loose figures at me and I ended up asking for more information/details to base my decision on. Today (day 3) he said he didn't run through every possible plan to see what they would cost, but somehow came up with the numbers of $300/month for just me or $700/month for my wife and I. He also made sure to bring up (and apparently exaggerate) other costs such as the extra income tax. I'm not sure what to think about why he's acting this way because we have employees in several other states including Mississippi, Virginia, and Hawaii. One of my co-workers moved from Arizona to San Francisco last year and she says he made an equally big deal about it at the time. She ended up having to pretend to still live in Arizona so her benefits package wouldn't change. Now she and her kids can do dental/eye doctor/emergency visits in California, but have to schedule regular doctor visits for when they are in Arizona.

I don't feel that I can 100% trust the numbers he's giving me, but I don't know any way around him. On day 1 I called our company's health insurance provider, who referred me to our HR management company, who in turn referred me to my VP/CFO...so no help there. I may just have to buck up and tell him "Look, I'm trying to make a life-changing decision and I need you to work with me to get some necessary information even if it becomes a little tiresome for you."

Pinch-a-Loaf on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Be careful with your health insurance cause in CA it goes up by $20-30 every year or worse. Irvine is not as expensive compared to where I live which is South Bay (Beach side). You do understand Irvine cost of living is higher, its a hotter weather so AC is gonna be used a lot. Sadly you will get a bit of the catching up with the Johnsons (hope I said the phrase right). Honestly if I was in your shoes stay away from CA and find lower living expense place cause you save so much money and we are being taxed up the ying yang. I make 60k and I cannot do much with that income but then again I am buying a house but that was my choice.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What does your fiancee do for a living? Is that particular industry in demand in Irvine or its environs?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Horus wrote: »
    Be careful with your health insurance cause in CA it goes up by $20-30 every year or worse. Irvine is not as expensive compared to where I live which is South Bay (Beach side). You do understand Irvine cost of living is higher, its a hotter weather so AC is gonna be used a lot. Sadly you will get a bit of the catching up with the Johnsons (hope I said the phrase right). Honestly if I was in your shoes stay away from CA and find lower living expense place cause you save so much money and we are being taxed up the ying yang. I make 60k and I cannot do much with that income but then again I am buying a house but that was my choice.

I miss a lot of things about California. One of them is not PG&E.

Do you like paying 250$/month in energy bills because you don't want it to be 94 degrees in your 1 bedroom apartment? I hope you do.

edit: This is not hyperbole for the sake of making a point, I think the highest energy bill I had living in Concord, CA was 329$ for a 2 bedroom.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The job market sucks in California, its worse than in most states so, depending on what your fiance does fantasy a living she could be unemployed to a while.

emp123 on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This so hard. I might have a different opinion if you were buying a house somewhere, but if you will just be in an apartment, this is probably the best advice I can think of.

You're banking on the ability of your wife to get a job to assist with bills, and being able to find a cheaper health insurance option (assuming the numbers given to you are accurate) in order to make everything line up financially. With the job market being down, the costs of living in california, and the (apparent) emnity that your company superiors are throwing your way, it doesn't sound like a prudent choice. I mean, if you move out to California and the CFO doesnt really like that, you become a little bit higher on the stack of people he'd recommend getting rid of, especially if you cost the company more than some other person in a similar position elsewhere.

It sounds like you are newly married and young; there will always be time to live next to the coast later in life when you are much more secure financially. When you use the phrase "how bad would it be without health insurance" to justify trying to move somewhere, that doesn't sound like a warning bell?

Tejs on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Would the company have to pay CA taxes because they would have a "location/presence" there? Just guessing.

Regardless, I would recommend against it too. If there were other draws like family or she had something great waiting, then maybe, but I'd forget it with being newlyweds and save for a house.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For anyone looking to move, this cost of living calculator is a pretty good tool.

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.aspx

I plugged in an income of $100,000 in the Phoenix metro area and the calculation told me that you'd have to make about $123,000 in the Orange County area just to break even in terms of standard of living.

So, unless you are looking at a sizeable raise for moving to California, you're going to find yourself less well-off financially if you move.

Edit: People typically move out of California into places like Arizona and Utah, not the other way around. There are many good reasons for that. California has been shedding middle-class+ residents for years now.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As someone older and wiser than most of the posters here, I have to agree that this is a horrible move.

Do not do it, you will regret it. With the freedom to move anywhere in the country and make the same salary, you should be taking advantage of that by moving somewhere with a low cost of living. There are tons of nice areas with great weather and great culture without California style government and costs.

If I was in that situation I would ditch NJ in a heartbeat, and NJ doesn't even come close to CA's cost of living.

Constrictor on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AZ is a no income tax state, right? Giving up 10% of your income right off the top (before higher utility rates, insurance, inevitable rent increases, etc) doesn't seem like a great idea, especially once you start throwing out stuff like "I may have to drop my health insurance to live there".

a5ehren on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    a5ehren wrote: »
    AZ is a no income tax state, right? Giving up 10% of your income right off the top (before higher utility rates, insurance, inevitable rent increases, etc) doesn't seem like a great idea, especially once you start throwing out stuff like "I may have to drop my health insurance to live there".

No, it's certainly not, but the income tax is insanely low, especially compared to California. Although that might also explain why AZ is such an absolute shithole.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Where the hell did this $700/month health insurance quote come from. I've never heard of a monthly payment that high.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Where the hell did this $700/month health insurance quote come from. I've never heard of a monthly payment that high.

I certainly have, but only for COBRA coverage. Which is not intended to be a long-term situation, but with unemployment being what it is, it's suddenly a special new hell many Americans are discovering.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I certainly have, but only for COBRA coverage. Which is not intended to be a long-term situation, but with unemployment being what it is, it's suddenly a special new hell many Americans are discovering.

Yeah this is why I didn't bother with COBRA during my current unemployment. I wasn't paying hundreds of dollars a month for a shitty ass plan that barely covered anything. I'd like to be able to you know, eat, while I try to get another job.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    lordrellordrel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It depends on how much the company pays and how much is passed on to the employee. Single employee coverage at my company costs $440/month (and the company pays 75%). Employee + spouse coverage runs $651....so $700 a month is a feasible figure.

lordrel on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, are you a mixed-race couple?

I only ask because you're moving to Orange County, and while people in Irvine itself probably won't give a shit, the rest of the county isn't quite so open-minded.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah this is why I didn't bother with COBRA during my current unemployment. I wasn't paying hundreds of dollars a month for a shitty ass plan that barely covered anything. I'd like to be able to you know, eat, while I try to get another job.

Pro-tip: I've been advised that failing to maintain COBRA (or otherwise allowing your coverage to lapse) between jobs can render any chronic, but previously covered, ailments you have as 'pre-existing conditions' when you eventually get new coverage. Ex: Diabetes, Thyroid stuff, etc.

It is a wonderful system.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Would the company have to pay CA taxes because they would have a "location/presence" there? Just guessing.

Yes...although one employee is not going to raise the taxes by a tremendous amount, not on a salary that low.

There is certainly a lot to consider. Some of the previous posters have raised good points.

It's all about how keen you are on California, what your lifestyle is currently like in Arizona, and how much you are willing to sacrifice.

I still love living here, despite the (very valid) problems being raised. I always want to live within a short(ish) distance of the sea, I definitely plan to live in a big city for at least the time being (I come from a town of 120,000 people which is too small for my tastes, despite it seeming huge to others) and I love how sunny and warm California is - I am definitely a warm weather person. So I certainly understand the draw of living here.

For me the transition to California was easy, because I'm from the UK where the weather is terrible, the cost of living is almost as high, taxes are far higher, and apartments and houses are even smaller and shittier. I wasn't giving up a large apartment or big house to come and live here, and my utility bills for air conditioning are lower than they were in the UK for heating.

How set are you on this apartment you have in mind? Have you seen it in person? I ask because one reason we're able to live fairly well here on my salary is because the apartment is relatively cheap for the size, and one reason for that is because it has a 1 star rating on Yahoo. When our friends were looking for apartments, my apartment complex was at the absolute bottom of the list. After trawling through 18-20 others, they visited this one, and discovered that in the year following the really bad online reviews, the management changed, a friendlier receptionist was hired and the apartments were renovated, meaning none of the complaints about rude management, thin walls and being stiffed on rent deposits held up. Meanwhile, many of the apartments that had good reviews were far smaller or uglier in person.

Have you considered anywhere else in California? I'm in the Bay Area, which I feel is slightly more affordable. It's also cooler here that air conditioning isn't as necessary, so bills are lower (average pg&e bill is less than $100 a month... but then we're out of the apartment during the day, whereas you'll be telecommuting from home, so that's another thing to consider).

Janson on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

The cost of COBRA is the actual 100% cost of the employer sponsored plan without the employer kicking in anything for it. Health insurance is pretty fucking expensive. A lot of people don't realize this because they only look at the portion that is taken out of their paycheck.

For the health insurance, your company guy could have been saying in a roundabout way "If you move out of state, we aren't going to set up an employer sponsored plan in California just for you. You will have to get your own insurance"

The good AND bad news about the individual market in california is that it allows for medical underwriting for individual plans. If you and your wife are healthy, insurance will be cheap. The downside of this is that if you ever decide to get sick or become undesirable, your carrier will face rape you every year at renewal with the maximum increase until you go the fuck away (Im not sure if CA caps the renewal max increase).

Food for thought, OP

Deebaser on
This discussion has been closed.