As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's too bad Condit is out of 127. Would have made for such a good card with him on there.

Fitch vs. Penn I expect to turn into a slow grind with the Bearded One on top.

Sotipops vs. Siver is a sacrificial killing. I'd fucking love Siver to win it though - via back kick. It could happen, I guess.

I don't really remember much about Noke or Camozzi from their TUF performances except that Camozzi brought the violence, so we'll see what's what. I'm sure Noke will want to impress in front of a a home crowd.

Chris Lytle against some guy making his UFC debut. Ugh, hope they give you a sympathy match after your ass kciking, son.

Prelims have potential for madness. I hope we got the see Zhang Tie Quan fight again. Also, maybe a Swede will get beat up and I can revel in petty nationalism for a bit.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pearson I am expecting big things from, he fucked his knee early in the Miller fight and I want to see him back to the form he was in when he smashed Siver up.

Also, working on some sigs for adytum, as you can see I fail at Paint but thought I would see which one suited most:

Bispinglol.png

Bispinflol2.png

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Sotipops vs. Siver is a sacrificial killing. I'd fucking love Siver to win it though - via back kick. It could happen, I guess.

Spinning back kick KO would be the best thing ever. Siver has looked pretty good lately, but on the ground he won't stand a chance again Sotiropoulos.
    I still think it's kind of a weird matchup. No way they couldn't have put together a more competitive fight.

Xrdd on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It is a weird match up. I think I'd rather see Pearson against Sotiropoulos than Siver, but I think what's happening is that they're grooming Sotiropoulos for a shot at the belt, so he needs opponents that have won a few fights in a row to lavish some of that paper legitimacy on him.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It is a weird match up. I think I'd rather see Pearson against Sotiropoulos than Siver, but I think what's happening is that they're grooming Sotiropoulos for a shot at the belt, so he needs opponents that have won a few fights in a row to lavish some of that paper legitimacy on him.

Yeah, Pearson was coming off a (sub) loss too, as much as he has a reason it still looks bad to put G-Sot against a guy with a loss.

Pearsons TDD is pretty damn good tbh, guy is crazy strong according to my coach who trained with him a few times. He now also does jits with Victor Estima, kids going to be no joke in his prime.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They're just giving him the fight because they're in Australia. Siver is good enough to be a threat, but Sots will likely win the fight.

His next opponent should be either Kenny Florian or Melvin Guillard. It's way past time for him to step up the ranks a bit.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If any of you ever feel like not training, remember this guy. Maybe it'll inspire you a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcGve9zLRw

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They're just giving him the fight because they're in Australia. Siver is good enough to be a threat, but Sots will likely win the fight.

His next opponent should be either Kenny Florian or Melvin Guillard. It's way past time for him to step up the ranks a bit.

Yeah this fight is a sort of bugger. Sotir will likely win, and this will give his record all the padding he needs to go to the top of the division and get a title shot soon. It will encourage a strong striker in Siver to really, really improve his ground game. If Siver wins it will be a huge feather in his cap. He will be headlining fights in Germany after a win like that.

Brings me to an observation I've made before. I don't have time to go into detail being at work, but it seems like some of the UFC match-ups are almost solely designed to get semi-popular fighters to round out their skill sets so they become more competitive at the highest levels. More on this later.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Pearson I am expecting big things from, he fucked his knee early in the Miller fight and I want to see him back to the form he was in when he smashed Siver up.

Also, working on some sigs for adytum, as you can see I fail at Paint but thought I would see which one suited most:

Bispinglol.png

Bispinflol2.png

I like the second one. But seriously, you can do more obnoxious than that. :P

Nobody mentioned that Siver thinks he's going to choke out George.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Bispinglol.png

Bispinflol2.png

I like the second one. But seriously, you can do more obnoxious than that. :P

Nobody mentioned that Siver thinks he's going to choke out George.

Well at least he's trying to hype the fight.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Obnoxious levels noted, will try again...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I mean, don't put too much work into it. I'd hate to see a lot of effort go to waste after Rivera KOs Bisping in the first round.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I mean, don't put too much work into it. I'd hate to see a lot of effort go to waste after Rivera KOs Bisping in the first round.

:^:

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

hopefully bisping lands on his own hands

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Confidence is high, and Bisping is going to help you crybabys build a bridge so you can get over him being mean to Matt Hamill 500 years ago.

And the OAP that is Jorge "I got subbed by Lee Murray" Rivera is getting grapplefucked by Mike :^:

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I had to look up OAP.

:lol:

adytum on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WOTS is that Rashad Evans and the UFC are parting ways soon.

Am I doing this right?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So do I have any Avatar bets coming up? People never responded to me about Bones/Shogun

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adytum, I think for your next Cheikh update, I'd suggest
    "je suis le meilleur poids-lourd"

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    B:L wrote: »

Am I doing this right?

Source? I mean, what street is that the word on, exactly?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Am I doing this right?

Source? I mean, what street is that the word on, exactly?

Joe Rogan would tell you what street he's on.

adytum on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So do I have any Avatar bets coming up? People never responded to me about Bones/Shogun

I'm still avatar betting for Shogun.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Am I doing this right?

he hasn't put on a dominant performance since before losing to machida

but what the fuck, if forrest gets to stay and make mafia money they should keep Rashad on too. The dude is smart and charismatic, which you don't really see in the UFC

Sam on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm still avatar betting for Shogun.

Ok and I'll take Bones so that works out Nicely

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One week until the PPV, gentleman.

Honestly, though...I'm reserving 99% of my excitement for a month from now when Bones vs. Shogun goes down.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dangit, I hope Florian wins.

I like him, and really want to see him become champ just once in his UFC career.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    145 is definitely a good move for him.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MMA needs guys like Florian, he is articulate, presentable and really knocks the "skinhead thug" image on it's head.

I think guys like him, GSP, Bones and Franklin are the kind who will take the sport into a more mainstream position.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    Yes he is totally not going to be killed by Jose Aldo.

-_-

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spectrum wrote: »

-_-
    Also, Hominic.

But it beats getting outmuscled by giant wrestlers at LW.

815165 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He might as well try, it looks like his window at LW might have shut for now and he might as well explore a new weight class to see what he can do. I still think it's too far down and he's going to look like a stick figure but I guess we'll see. If nothing else it'll get more eyes on the FW division, which is always good.

Peen on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kenny Florian had severe troubles dealing with Penn, and now there's people like Frank Edgar and Gray Maynard in the way.

Other light weights are becoming top contenders too such as Melvin Gulliard and George Sotiropoulos. This is exactly what Florian needed to do.

If the weigh cut goes perfect, then I'm willing to bet that he's going to win his next match. He is here for the belt.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So we've been talking about training a bit lately, so I'll talk a bit about my BJJ I guess.

I got two kneebars in rolling today! Woo! I have a little bit of SAMBO experience, and while I'm not practicing it right now I really like its style. At my BJJ club we don't really do leg locks of any sort. This is a big part of the reason why I got them of course, because people are not used to defending them. They were also against guys a good 30lbs smaller than me. Still though, I'm quite pleased. I looked at some youtube videos earlier this week and they helped me out a lot. I'd really like for kneebars to become one of my fundamental submissions.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Excellent grapple-fest in last night SF Challengers event, Lyle Beerbohm vs Pat Healy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh3q3i_beerbohm-vs-healy_sport

Also very competent commentating due to the absence of Gus.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    So we've been talking about training a bit lately, so I'll talk a bit about my BJJ I guess.

I got two kneebars in rolling today! Woo! I have a little bit of SAMBO experience, and while I'm not practicing it right now I really like its style. At my BJJ club we don't really do leg locks of any sort. This is a big part of the reason why I got them of course, because people are not used to defending them. They were also against guys a good 30lbs smaller than me. Still though, I'm quite pleased. I looked at some youtube videos earlier this week and they helped me out a lot. I'd really like for kneebars to become one of my fundamental submissions.

Awesome, dude. Learning something new that catches everyone off guard is always a treat. :D

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Awesome, dude. Learning something new that catches everyone off guard is always a treat. :D

Yeah its awesome. The one guy I wasn't even catching off guard so much. I've been trying kneebars lately, so at first he defended well, and even told me he knew what I was going to do. I was persistent though, and changed my tactics a bit at the end. My partner was pretty surprised.

Here is the one I've been using, but this whole series is pretty good looking:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmS6aPEwHo&feature=relmfu

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spectrum wrote: »

-_-
    Also, Hominic.

But it beats getting outmuscled by giant wrestlers at LW.

Florian used to fight at Middleweight though. He's not that small, he just wasn't good enough to get the belt from the best at LW. He wasn't a good enough striker or grappler to deal with Penn and he wasn't a good enough wrestler to handle Maynard. Size was never his issue

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In all fairness to Kenny though I think he could have handled Penn better if his gameplan hadn't been totally bafflingly awful. It really looked like he was trying to do what GSP did, only without GSP's size or strength. I think his camp and coaches did him a major disservice for that fight.

Peen on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peen wrote: »
    In all fairness to Kenny though I think he could have handled Penn better if his gameplan hadn't been totally bafflingly awful. It really looked like he was trying to do what GSP did, only without GSP's size or strength. I think his camp and coaches did him a major disservice for that fight.
    His coaches did him a major disservice for the fight against Maynard.

I love him to death, but he does always shit the bed in huge fights. He was way too tentative against Maynard and constantly let him steal the round with takedowns in the last 30 seconds.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg