Options

Wii on the cover of Fortune magazine

UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
fortune_wii.jpg

You can read the article here on CNN Money. Some highlights:
In short, Iwata has made Nintendo as efficient as a bullet train and as stingy as a bento box. The company's 3,400 employees generated $8.26 billion in revenue last year, or $2.5 million each.

While exchange rates and fiscal calendars complicate comparisons to U.S. companies, let's do it anyway. Over roughly the same time frame, Microsoft employees generated $624,000 each; Google's performed 50 percent better, at $994,000, though still less than half as well as Nintendo employees. Nintendo's profits reached almost $1.5 billion, or $442,000 per employee, last year, compared with Microsoft's $177,000 and Google's $288,000.

wiidamage2yg2.gif

A look inside the remote.

I dunno, maybe it's a bit fanboyish, but I thought it was an interesting read.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
UncleSporky on

• Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All those injuries could just have easily applied to people who fucking exercise. I hate how it is somehow attributed to the Wiis presence causing those injuries. Its probably all fat lazy geeks who actually have to move for once.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kind of a shitty cover :/

Rook on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I read this at work the other day. Pretty good article.

The part about the speech receiver/translator in the Wiimote surprised me. I never knew about that. Wii is on pace to be the best selling console of all time, isn't it?

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm counting the days till the PS3 and/or 360 come out with a Wii Remote style peripheral controller.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    All those injuries could just have easily applied to people who fucking exercise. I hate how it is somehow attributed to the Wiis presence causing those injuries. Its probably all fat lazy geeks who actually have to move for once.

I'm pretty sure that's just some tongue in cheek humor there.

Saved on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm counting the days till the PS3 and/or 360 come out with a Wii Remote style peripheral controller.

Sixaxis?

Saved on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anytime Nintendo gets a positive article, especially a cover story, is good to me.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007

I'm counting the days until the Wii comes out with 360/PS3 style games with substance

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Kind of a shitty cover :/

Now, I'm no art or advertising major, but I like it.
    It's eye catching, and there's no doubt what it's about.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Okay, how the hell do you break your tooth playing Wii Bowling???

urahonky on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

The part about the speech receiver/translator in the Wiimote surprised me. I never knew about that. Wii is on pace to be the best selling console of all time, isn't it?

To clarify: It's a chip that "translates" analog audio data into digital audio data. It doesn't translate languages or anything like that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I'm counting the days until the Wii comes out with 360/PS3 style games with substance

Are there any real must have games for the PS3?

I mean there's Resistance... and that dirt track racing game... anything else?

Saved on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    theSAVED wrote: »

MGS4... FFXIII.... you know, games that are still like a year off.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

If it can keep up this pace, yes, but it'll be a tough battle to beat the PS2 long term. And GBA and DS if you want to count handhelds.

EDIT: Just noticed this:
    Go to Missouri.
    If price truly is no object, then instruct the pilot of your private jet to land somewhere near Cape Girardeau, Mo. ... As of presstime the Toys "R" Us there still had six, and they'd been sitting on the shelf for two weeks. That'll run you $250 plus the cost of jet fuel. Or roundtrip airfare and car rental for the two-hour drive from St. Louis.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That panda in your sig looks pedophilic.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I guess those multi-platform games don't count as 360/PS3 style games. Hmm... Maybe Zelda is kind like a 360/PS3 game? I'm not really sure what a 360/PS3 style game is.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    fortune_wiiMK2.jpg

im so sorry. :(
    im not. :P

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    IT PRINTS MONEY!!!!1

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Voth wrote: »
    I guess those multi-platform games don't count as 360/PS3 style games. Hmm... Maybe Zelda is kind like a 360/PS3 game? I'm not really sure what a 360/PS3 style game is.

It's whatever game that's not on the Wii.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

I'm really curious to see what next gen's controllers look like. Are Microsoft and Sony going to completely imitate the Wiimote? Or will they develop more of a hybrid between the wiimote and a traditional pad? And of course, what will Nintendo do?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wow if thats really the manufacturing price of the remote Nintendo is being and incredible asshole selling them at such steep price.

mantidor on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And while a $250 sticker makes the Wii more of an impulse buy than even an iPod, it's not the pricetag that makes it fly off shelves.

I don't know...I think the price tag IS the reason it's flying off the selves. (Not that it isn't a decent system in it's own right, but I think the price is very much the main reason.)

Darlan on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Voth wrote: »

It's whatever game that's not on the Wii.
    Like Hotel Dusk: Room 215!

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    fortune_wiiMK2.jpg

Please stop doing that.

It wasn't that funny to begin with, it's just kind of embarassing now.

Saved on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    fortune_wiiMK2.jpg

I thought it was clever. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm really curious to see what next gen's controllers look like. Are Microsoft and Sony going to completely imitate the Wiimote? Or will they develop more of a hybrid between the wiimote and a traditional pad? And of course, what will Nintendo do?
    They don't need to do anything if the price ratio is the same as this gen.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mantidor wrote: »
    wow if thats really the manufacturing price of the remote Nintendo is being and incredible asshole selling them at such steep price.

There's a lot more that goes into the price, other than pure component cost. And don't forget Nintendo's out to make a profit, and the Wiimote w/nunchuck is only $10 more than a wireless 360 pad, well within the price range of other comperable devices.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That's another point actually. Are we finally going to see reasonably priced consoles all around next gen? Or will Sony and MS stick to the $400 range (I'm convinced nobody will touch $500 and up for a long while after the PS3 fiasco).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That's another point actually. Are we finally going to see reasonably priced consoles all around next gen? Or will Sony and MS stick to the $400 range (I'm convinced nobody will touch $500 and up for a long while after the PS3 fiasco).

There's no reason to make a gaming console $500. You're just taking it one step closer to PC costs, and that's what was refreshing about the consoles: It wasn't a PC.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    fortune_wiiMK2.jpg

I thought it was clever. :P

Apologize for being sorry!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

There's no reason to make a gaming console $500. You're just taking it one step closer to PC costs, and that's what was refreshing about the consoles: It wasn't a PC.

Yep. Not to mention we're reaching serious diminishing returns on the visuals (a step up in graphics requires more and more horsepower), and the 360 and PS3 hobbled themselves in different ways by trying to be extremely cutting edge (dying consoles and $600). I'd guess that in the next generation, none of the big three will try to co all-out in tech.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really need to buy some dang Nintendo stock.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

There is no rolleyes big enough for the two of you.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yeah, my friend was in a stock exchange class, and had some money to put into some stock (fake money, fake stock) and I told him to pick up some Nintendo stock (before the Wii came out) and he wouldn't do it.

Some other guy did in his class, and he's now the richest person on earth (fake rich... bah, you know what I mean).

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I plan to do so over the next 5 years.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    2d767fk.gif

License%20to%20Print%20Money.gif

bruin on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007

Hey, it's no different than just Zelda and Paper Mario

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Hey Keith, stop it. C'mon man, you don't need to come in a thread like this and start a flame war.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Hey Keith, stop it. C'mon man, you don't need to come in a thread like this and start a flame war.

I'm not

but saying "I'm waiting for the other systems to copy the controller" when so far the other systems are getting better games is just dumb

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What better games?

No games currently out for the 360 or PS3 interest me Keith.

While several games for the Wii do.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts