Options

Curfew Laws: Bullshit, or Bullshittiest?

sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I actually know nothing about the origin of curfew laws, or any of their effects, but I just got a fucking ticket because of it, and my friend is getting busted for possession because the officers smelled pot when they came over to the car. Also, curfew is fucking 10:00 PM here? That's kind of ridiculous, I'd say.

Bottom line is that I have no rational or evidenced claims to make against curfew, but fuck curfew, motherfuckers.

sdrawkcaB emaN on

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is curfew the thing where you aren't allowed on the streets after a certain time?

If so, that's bull. Only in emergency situations could this be useful.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Is curfew the thing where you aren't allowed on the streets after a certain time?

If so, that's bull. Only in emergency situations could this be useful.

Honestly, I'm not really even sure what the law is.

I mean, can you be at the movie theater to catch a late film? Can you be driving to a specific destination? I think we were parked? It's a bit difficult to remember, but maybe that has something to do with it.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's for people under a certain age, generally 18, and yes I personally feel curfew laws are crap. It's just a law written so that cops have an excuse to stop any young people they see on the street at night, and it's lame.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The ACLU wrote:
    Juvenile curfews have been found to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Courts of Washington, Iowa, and Hawaii, and have recently been struck down by the federal court in San Diego, California. However courts have upheld curfews in Dallas, Texas, Washington, D.C. and Charlottesville, Virginia.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait, you got busted on possession just because a cop thought he smelled weed? Did he actually search the car, or was it just "sniff sniff! guilty!"? Because if it's the latter, it should be laughably easy to defend in court.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, curfew should really be up to the parents, not the city council.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait, you got busted on possession just because a cop thought he smelled weed? Did he actually search the car, or was it just "sniff sniff! guilty!"? Because if it's the latter, it should be laughably easy to defend in court.

Presumably, the officer smelled weed, which gave him probable cause for a search, where he in turn found weed. Keep your window cracked when talking to a policeman--rolling it down all the way opens up the possibility that he'll claim to have smelled something as an excuse to search, which you really can't do anything about.

MrMister on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, curfew should really be up to the parents, not the city council.
    That and the cops should really be required to find a better reason to stop and search someone than "it's past 10 o'clock." I mean is being competent really that hard for them?

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Curfew laws are just bullshit ephebophobia. The law needs somebody to push around, and it's not okay to push around the blacks or the irish anymore, so they'll just push around adolescents. Teenagers aren't real people, anyway.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only effect that the local curfew laws had on me was that I was always damn sure not to speed while I was out after curfew.

The Savior on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    So on what grounds have curfew laws been found to be unconstitutional?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2007

SCOTUS hasn't ruled yet, but lower courts have offered a variety of reasons. Here's one case:
    The Appellate Division went on to hold that the West New York curfew ordinance was unconstitutional because it was "not broad enough to recognize the right of parents to permit their children to participate in many legitimate activities" and because the terms of the ordinance were unconstitutionally vague.

I've also read: violating freedom of movement under the 14th, and no legitimate state interest.

MrMister on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    It's 2am, do you know where your children are? I think the 10am curfew law is a little extreme though I think the law is out there for safety reasons and to keep bored kids from trashing areas of a city.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We need more North Koreans posting on these boards to give their two cents. Unfortunately, they're all under curfew and unable to get to a computer.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's 2am, do you know where your children are? I think the 10am curfew law is a little extreme though I think the law is out there for safety reasons and to keep bored kids from trashing areas of a city.

Vandalism statutes keep bored kids from trashing areas of the city. Try again.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I somehow suspect that if you're driven to vandalize areas of a city because of boredom, you'll probably not care all too much that there is a law making it illegal for you to be out past 10pm.

Really, I can't think of any reasonable defense of curfew laws. I've never actually heard of one being enforced, honestly, though it really shouldn't surprise me.

Navoc on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

All a curfew will do is disperse the kids. How, exactly, does a curfew stop kids "trashing" anything?

Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Gorak on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gorak wrote: »

All a curfew will do is disperse the kids. How, exactly, does a curfew stop kids "trashing" anything?

Oh yeah, it doesn't.

But it gives cops an excuse to harass people. You have to let the cops harass somebody, or else they get all pent up and start going agro on the town like soccer fans on world cup night.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

SCOTUS hasn't ruled yet, but lower courts have offered a variety of reasons. Here's one case:
    The Appellate Division went on to hold that the West New York curfew ordinance was unconstitutional because it was "not broad enough to recognize the right of parents to permit their children to participate in many legitimate activities" and because the terms of the ordinance were unconstitutionally vague.

I've also read: violating freedom of movement under the 14th, and no legitimate state interest.

Works for me, though the recognizing-the-rights-of-the-parents is the one that resonates with me the most.

Probably unsurprisingly.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    The ACLU wrote:
    Juvenile curfews have been found to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Courts of Washington, Iowa, and Hawaii, and have recently been struck down by the federal court in San Diego, California. However courts have upheld curfews in Dallas, Texas, Washington, D.C. and Charlottesville, Virginia.

This is interesting, because I live in LA county, so I wonder if that San Diego ruling has any bearing on me?

I also found out that Santa Monica does techincally have a curfew law on the books, but they have a record of never ever enforcing it, so I'm going to see if I can't ask for a change in venue. My mom lives there, so I think I probably could, and there's a much greater chance of the ticket being dismissed there.

Re: Marijuana -- I didn't get busted, as I had none on me (and never have, and never will, for just this reason), but my friend did get busted. The cop smelled it, asked if there was any in the car, and my friend said "yes," and showed them where it was. We figured it was best to cooperate, since we didn't really know the law.

They also took his gorgeous, immense $250 bong. Which is a total bummer.

Basically, I'm going to try to get this moved to Santa Monica, explain that I was being dropped off at home, and see what happens. Hopefully it'll be dismissed, because I don't want to pay a fucking curfew ticket.

Additional bullshit: The reason this law got enforced (something that's never happened before to any of my friends, despite their frequent adventures in enlightenment performed in cars late at night) is that the local Home Owners Association installed security cameras to keep punk kids out of their neighborhood. The local head of the HOA also apparently had nothing better to do then drive out to congratulate the cops on busting us.

Also, I got handcuffed, which seemed really, really unnecessary.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Gorak wrote: »

Oh yeah, it doesn't.

But it gives cops an excuse to harass people. You have to let the cops harass somebody, or else they get all pent up and start going agro on the town like soccer fans on world cup night.

They need an excuse now? I thought that was what the badge and stick were for.

Gorak on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's a Curfew around here, according to a sign by the mall.

Which is really going to clash with the extremely late hours the movie theater they just opened up has.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I support curfew laws because I hate people under 18, anything that makes their life more difficult is A-OK. That's all.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    There's a Curfew around here, according to a sign by the mall.

Which is really going to clash with the extremely late hours the movie theater they just opened up has.

Yeah, totally. I mean, I've seen tons of late-night movie showings. I had no idea there was anything wrong with this!

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    how bout laws that restrict alchohol sales past a certain hour? can we hate those too?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    how bout laws that restrict alchohol sales past a certain hour? can we hate those too?
    Sure. Lets have a frivolous law hate-in!

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm honestly for this kind of stuff. I mean it doesn't stop kids from being out with their parents and all of that, and I've always come home after our curfew here and dropped all my friends off; never been busted. Even if I had been a simple, "We were at the movies" would have set the cops on their way I believe.

"Parents should enforce curfew."

I think the curfew law is for kids who "FUCK DA ESTABLISHMUNT AND DA POLEESE" and all of that. It's not necessarily trying to keep them off the streets from vandalizing, but what fucking good are they doing roaming at 3 in the morning?

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    I think the curfew law is for kids who "FUCK DA ESTABLISHMUNT AND DA POLEESE" and all of that. It's not necessarily trying to keep them off the streets from vandalizing, but what fucking good are they doing roaming at 3 in the morning?

While we're at it, why don't we have curfews for everyone without some kind of valid night work pass? I mean, what fucking good are you doing roaming at 3 in the morning?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

While we're at it, why don't we have curfews for everyone without some kind of valid night work pass? I mean, what fucking good are you doing roaming at 3 in the morning?

Welcome to Airstrip One.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

What's the validity of that? It's for people under 18, at that point I'm sure most people say, "Well, you've been a fuck up this long. Go ahead and stay out as long as you want." I've never heard of a curfew law affecting anyone that is not considered an adult (18+ and such).

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

What's the validity of that? It's for people under 18, at that point I'm sure most people say, "Well, you've been a fuck up this long. Go ahead and stay out as long as you want." I've never heard of a curfew law affecting anyone that is not considered an adult (18+ and such).

The point is that any argument that justifies a curfew on teenagers can also justify a curfew on adults. The only difference is that some people think it's acceptable to treat teenagers like they're not quite human just because they're teenagers.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2007

The point is that any argument that justifies a curfew on teenagers can also justify a curfew on adults. The only difference is that some people think it's acceptable to treat teenagers like they're not quite human just because they're teenagers.

And what good would treating them as equals be? I'm fucking 17 and can agree with this. You're 28 (I guess) and acting like the man is keeping you down.

With age comes responsibility, not fucking everyone is ready to be mature about situations and take care of themselves at 16 or any age younger. 18 is a stretch from some of the people I know, but its never posed a real problem for me anyhow.

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

And what good would treating them as equals be? I'm fucking 17 and can agree with this. You're 28 (I guess) and acting like the man is keeping you down.

With age comes responsibility, not fucking everyone is ready to be mature about situations and take care of themselves at 16 or any age younger. 18 is a stretch from some of the people I know, but its never posed a real problem for me anyhow.

I don't see how being out late somehow automatically implies any wrongdoing is occuring. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? For that matter, what happened to political rights? It seems like nowadays people let the government do something if they themselves like it, and don't care what power boundaries are crossed in the process.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    And what good would treating them as equals be?

Incorrect question. All humans are equal unless there is a good reason to treat them as inequals. The correct question is, "What would be gained by treating them as lesser citizens." In this case, I can't see any. Loitering is already illegal (regardless of age), vandalism is already illegal (regardless of age), disorderly conduct is already illegal (regardless of age).
    I'm fucking 17 and can agree with this. You're 28 (I guess) and acting like the man is keeping you down.

Yep, 28. I had enough 'man keeping me down' during my teenage years that I'll be tasting his fucking boot for the rest of my life. It's pretty bitter, let me tell you.
    With age comes responsibility

Not necessarily.
    not fucking everyone is ready to be mature about situations and take care of themselves at 16 or any age younger.

Then when they display immaturity react to them appropriately. Do not preemptively assume that they are immature.

Feral on

• Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't like curfew laws either, but I don't like the entire "fuck da man!" attitude in this thread.

What were you guys doing when you were caught by the police? And getting handcuffed is pretty much Standard Operating Procedure when you find drugs on someone, even if it just weed. I've known plenty of violent people who liked to smoke the herb.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've known plenty of violent people who liked to smoke the herb.

I've known violent people who liked to drink coca-cola.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm not saying any wrong doing is to be automatically assumed because they're out, but my belief is that this law is used for people who more than likely would. A bad apple spoils the bunch, you know? My football team ran extra because a couple of guys fucked up, we all suffered with them. There are a lot of people including myself who can stay out and be doing nothing wrong, but for every few of us, there is one asshole who has to have some bullshit agenda to fuck shit up.

SoonerMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Because obviously an illegal controlled substance is equivalent to a soft drink, and I get handcuffed for having a cola in my car all the time.

Do you really want to carry this non sequitur further?

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Because obviously an illegal controlled substance is equivalent to a soft drink, and I get handcuffed for having a cola in my car all the time.

I don't see what being illegal has to do with being used by violent people. If coca-cola was made illegal, it wouldn't suddenly mean that everybody who drank it and are violent are violent in any way because of the coca-cola. It would just mean that some violent people like drinking coca-cola. I say we handcuff everybody who is seen drinking beer because I know violent people who drink it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I don't see what being illegal has to do with being used by violent people. I say we handcuff everybody who is seen drinking beer because I know violent people who drink it.

If you guys really want to turn this into an anti cop circle jerk, just say so now and I'll let you guys compare how you're stickin it to da man.

Otherwise, let's deal with reality and accept that if you find drugs in a car, its probably a good idea to handcuff all involved until you do a search of a car so someone dosen't put a knife in your back.

siliconenhanced on