Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    That isn't allowed to be worn actually, some bases allow it but none allow it off the flightline.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've seen people at a few bases walking around with that uniform on. I thought they were Coast Guard until I saw the rank on their sleeves.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Air Force ranks are ridiculous. 5 chevrons, 3 rockers, 2 upside down rockers, and a star. That sure is easy to determine at a glance/distance

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It is really simple though, NCOs start with the first stripe that goes under the star, senior NCO starts with first one over the star.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I left my pen in a pair of my ACUs and now its got a huge black splotch at the wrist portion with a quite a few black dots tattered all over the jacket. Should I just get it replaced?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've done that to the same pair twice. I just wear it. It's a badge of honor.

when people ask me to borrow a pen I tell them I failed to qualify and point at the splotch

ar mee jokes

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Waffen wrote: »
    So I left my pen in a pair of my ACUs and now its got a huge black splotch at the wrist portion with a quite a few black dots tattered all over the jacket. Should I just get it replaced?

Yes. You should get a new set of ACU bottoms as well. Never mix old/new tops and bottoms in garrison.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seems obvious that a uniform covered in ink would be unserviceable

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Does ink not come out at all? Try washing it with a can of coke (the soda) it really works, and before any tries to come in here and say that it is a myth shut the fuck up, it works.

I have never tried it with ink but it works with grease, carcinogenic grease, brown grease, black grease, carcinogenic paint, it even helped blend in the blood.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Found out my fun plan for this summer. Instead of heading to Esquimalt and beginning my first phase of actual sea training, I will be going back to St. Jean-sur-Richelieu, where we do basic, to learn French.

Not to bitch, honestly I just find it amusing, but I will have been in the Navy for three years before I potentially get to set foot on a ship! Doesn't help that I live in a land locked province. On the plus side, this time I will be there without the basic training bullshit aspect.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ZeroFill wrote: »

And once again the brilliance of the Navy's design shines through.

Quid on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Air Force ranks are ridiculous. 5 chevrons, 3 rockers, 2 upside down rockers, and a star. That sure is easy to determine at a glance/distance

Even worse are the Marine Corps ranks. Three chevrons up, up to four chevrons down, rifles, bomb, or star in the center, And all about three inches or less in size on the collar. And they're black, so for half the year, they're completely indecipherable from further than three feet away on the black/green/brown uniforms.

godmode on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

What upside down rocker are you referring to? I'm confused.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm... got an email from my company that drill is canceled this weekend because the government doesn't have the money to spend on us (Washington State National Guard).

lol.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

What upside down rocker are you referring to? I'm confused.

I think he's refering to the SSgt and TSgt stripe.
    Put me up for bullshit questions via PM, USAF SSgt Transmission Systems guy (comm).

Deployed again...sort of. Making bank, exchange rate is nice and can't spend shit as 14 hour days and not sure when the next day off is makes saving per diem a breeze.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I decided I've wanted to finish the last year of my degree in the military, the Canadian Forces to be exact. I leave for Basic Training in about 3 weeks. Anyone have any tips that could make the experience smoother :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quid wrote: »

And once again the brilliance of the Navy's design shines through.

As hot as they get in Hawaii, atleast I never really need to worry about stains of any sort. Ever.

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dixon wrote: »
    So I decided I've wanted to finish the last year of my degree in the military, the Canadian Forces to be exact. I leave for Basic Training in about 3 weeks. Anyone have any tips that could make the experience smoother :P

I might see you this summer, as I am slated for SLT in St. Jean. You are under ROTP I take it?

Basically, don't be a dick, don't try to get away with anything, do the work they tell you to do. Also, listen to what your staff are saying, not how they are saying it. The whole point of the course is to teach you basic military life skills, stress you out and make you capable of operating as an officer.

If you haven't started working out, do it. You will be running a lot. Practice your pushups, PSP (the staff who do your PT stuff) are very anal about the pushups. They will instruct you to go as low as you can to make your upper arms parallel to the floor, however they actually want you to go lower than that.

In the end, good luck, you will hate your life for a bit, but that is part of the course. Get out to Montreal every possible weekend you can, when you end up as the officer of the day, make sure to take direct control of the platoon. When you head out into the field as an officer, make sure to maintain constant communication with your section, even as ridiculous as it seems to repeat token phrases like "Keep alert", "Make sure to stay hydrated", and "Maintain your spacing".

Most importantly, pay attention, don't think your king shit of the world and start working with your platoon as a team early on.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yay. Brand new 2LT here. OTS is done. Gold bars are shiny.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Kick ass!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Currently in a Security Reaction Force class for the next month and we just got sprayed with OC. God damn that shit was horrible. Once we deconned and got that water on our faces, that was probably the worst pain of my life next to kidney stones. It's 6 hours later and my face still burns, but I'm also pretty sunburnt as well. I'm scared to get in the shower =\

Basically, if I ever see a cop/MP/MA/SP pull out some fuckin' OC in my vicinity I will assume the position before he can even get a word in.

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Congrats. Are you full-time?

Slider on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Slider wrote: »

You bet. I wasn't about to go through this whole thing just to get another job.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Bwahaha Congrats! I'm hoping to get a class date sometime within the next two years. What is your AFSC?

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gahmrious wrote: »

Bwahaha Congrats! I'm hoping to get a class date sometime within the next two years. What is your AFSC?

Have you been selected to go? The acceptance rate is something ridiculous like 10% right now. There were 1140 applicants to the last non-rated (non-flying job) board and only 140 got to go. Classes at OTS are below 100 as well. Started asking questions around these threads over two years ago, and here we are today. That was from late 2008 to early 2010 - more than two years - from thinking of applying to earning a commission.

Regarding class dates, I waited about eight months before I decided call them directly. I saw the number on the website, gave them a call, asked a few questions, and got a class date within 24 hours. Go figure.

I'm a 63A - Acquisitions officer, and super excited to start working on real projects.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awesome man. Are you a non-prior ? I'm aware of the stupid low acceptance rates for the program and I've considered applying to some of the other enlisted to officer programs just to avoid that. I've also heard it's easier to finish an enlistment and then apply as a civilian with prior service. Over the last six years it's all started to sound like a pipe dream with this 10% acceptance rate. Congrats though!

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OTS is like a pressure valve for officers. The academy produces a pretty predictable number of officers each yeah, and ROTC produces a pretty predictable range. The air force uses ots as its pressure valve to get up to it's requirements when needed.

Acceptance is at 10% right now because ROTC retention is very high. It'll change again once the economy picks back up.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Rocket SurgeryRocket Surgery Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone had luck contacting HRC to get the assignment they want? Any chance they'll let me choose a non-airborne assignment even though I'm airborne qualified?

Rocket Surgery on
  • Options
    FPA20111FPA20111 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hello fellows, future 25S here, hoping for some help. I don't want anyone to violate OPSEC, but if someone could give me some info on what level of mathematics are involved with this MOS, I'd be eternally grateful. My recruiter keeps stonewalling me// telling me not to worry, but I really want to prepare. I've taken Trig and Stats, so my math skills are alright, but I don't have any calculus background at all.

I got a 97 on the ASVAB so I theoretically will be fine, but I'm incredibly anal and like to prepare for things as much as possible. Thank you in advance!

FPA20111 on
    The paranoid man believes that everyone is out to get him. The intelligent man knows that everyone is out to get him.
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FPA20111 wrote: »
    Hello fellows, future 25S here, hoping for some help. I don't want anyone to violate OPSEC, but if someone could give me some info on what level of mathematics are involved with this MOS, I'd be eternally grateful. My recruiter keeps stonewalling me// telling me not to worry, but I really want to prepare. I've taken Trig and Stats, so my math skills are alright, but I don't have any calculus background at all.

I got a 97 on the ASVAB so I theoretically will be fine, but I'm incredibly anal and like to prepare for things as much as possible. Thank you in advance!

Really, if you scored a 97 on the ASVAB you're more than capable of doing the job. Looking at it's requirements, it's like everything else: high school degree/GED. So you should be fine.

If they needed you to know something higher, say quantum mechanics, they'd send you to school for that.

http://www.signal.army.mil/551/schools/25S.htm
    Some of the skills you'll learn are:
    Basic Electronics Training
    Satellite Communications Equipment Theories of Operation
    Use, maintenance and care of various types of communications equipment
    Use of various types of communications monitoring equipment
    Communications and electronic equipment troubleshooting techniques
    Use care and maintenance of various Power Generator systems
    Use, maintenance and care of large and small parabolic antenna systems
    Integration of various networking systems

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Evigilant wrote: »

Really, if you scored a 97 on the ASVAB you're more than capable of doing the job. Looking at it's requirements, it's like everything else: high school degree/GED. So you should be fine.

If they needed you to know something higher, say quantum mechanics, they'd send you to school for that.

http://www.signal.army.mil/551/schools/25S.htm
    Some of the skills you'll learn are:
    Basic Electronics Training
    Satellite Communications Equipment Theories of Operation
    Use, maintenance and care of various types of communications equipment
    Use of various types of communications monitoring equipment
    Communications and electronic equipment troubleshooting techniques
    Use care and maintenance of various Power Generator systems
    Use, maintenance and care of large and small parabolic antenna systems
    Integration of various networking systems

I figured as much, it's just that I plan on going career, so I'm hard-charging everything. I have this irrational fear that I'm going to arrive at Gordon for AIT and they'll hand out an exam on Egyptian Calculus that we have to then translate into Latin. I'm probably just being stupid :lol:

Any advice for basic by the way? I'm doing 8 miles of cardio a day in addition to a regular core workout at my local gym. Have the phonetic alphabet memorized, and I think I have the basic marching orders down.

FPA20111 on
    The paranoid man believes that everyone is out to get him. The intelligent man knows that everyone is out to get him.
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Any advice for basic by the way? I'm doing 8 miles of cardio a day in addition to a regular core workout at my local gym. Have the phonetic alphabet memorized, and I think I have the basic marching orders down.

Really the best advice I can give is, make a game out of it and have fun with it. Basic's job is to break you down, make you listen to orders and do them, either as a team or an individual. If the Dsgt says to do something, do it. If the Dsgt says to show up at 0700 be there at 0650 by the latest. Once you realize what they're trying to do, you will actually start to have fun.

Don't ever mouth off to the Dsgt unless you want to be on his shit list.

Here's the old pt test standards:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blfitmale17to21.htm
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blfitm22to26.htm
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blfitmale27to31.htm

If you are going to Jackson, you might be given the new PT test...which I haven't found any standards for yet.

Perfect way to train for them is just do the exercises. Try to max out each event if you can, otherwise, just try to hit 70 points on each of the exercises. 60 is the minimum, but you don't want minimum do you?

If you want to prepare yourself for ruck marching, get a nice sturdy pack, put 45lbs in it, keep it tight against your back, and build up to 10 or more miles at a quick pace (hit a mile every 10-15 minutes). Bring plenty of water. Make is so that you are doing two ruck marches a week, separated by 3 days (M,F works). Monday, your slower march, your pace should be steady enough that you can hold a conversation through out it. Friday, your quick march, your pace should be that you have to speak in quick bursts. You should be JUST out of breath the entire time. DO NOT RUN unless you have built up proper load-bearing capacity.

But honestly, as a 25S, you will probably only ruck in Basic, so don't worry about it to much.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Led a rifle team for Military Funeral Honors today. HN Benjamin D. Rast, KIA 06APR11 in Afghanistan.

11m3kud.jpg

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm doing 8 miles of cardio a day in addition to a regular core workout at my local gym.
    Every day like 7 days a week? Either you're an amazing athlete or you're doing way too much slow running.

Here, check this routine out. Except, take out one day and bring it down to 4 days a week which in my opinion the most a person should be running. Basically, two days of long distance slow runs and 1 day of aerobic intervals and 1 day of anaerobic intervals. And sprinkle some leg exercises like lunges, squats, and heel raises on top of some of the runs.

And if you're running on a treadmill make sure you set the incline to something not 0.

Hoz on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I figured as much, it's just that I plan on going career, so I'm hard-charging everything. I have this irrational fear that I'm going to arrive at Gordon for AIT and they'll hand out an exam on Egyptian Calculus that we have to then translate into Latin. I'm probably just being stupid :lol:

That is what they do, but not for your MOS. That's for 35Ps. You dodged that bullet.

Basic is very, very easy if you give it 100% the entire way through and are mature (I am incredibly glad that I personally didn't enlist right out of high school, but people will differ).

For PT:
    - If you have any problem areas, do exercise during free time. So long as you do this and push yourself hard during organized PT, you will pass. My first PT test was a 74 and I exceeded every standard by the end.
    - That said, being able to do your minimums would be good for starting out.
    - Endurance is more important than sheer strength in basic. Do cardio and reps, not the heaviest bench press you can.

Water
    - Drink lots of water, esp. if you go somewhere hot in the summer. I easily drank 1-3 gallons per day. This is a serious safety concern too.

Gear:
    - Don't overestimate gear / boot sizes. My boots were uncomfortably tight till I broke them in, but I've never got a single blister while wearing them (knock on wood). Also, XL IBA with XL plates sucks, but I probably would have gotten that anyways.

Military skills:
    - Know your Army values and Soldier Creed before you step foot in MEPS.
    - Know the military rank structure, attention, parade rest, and military customs and courtesies (primarily just stand at parade rest for DSgts is the most important)
    - Everything else they will teach you. If you really want to get ahead anyways, learn compass and map skills, and practice marching.

Time
    - Show up 10 minutes early.
    - Also, get up early too, if possible. They generally don't give you enough prep time in the morning if you wait till you are being yelled at by a DSgt to wake up.

Overall, it is as easy as you make it*, and equal parts of fun, boredom, and suck. Just stay under the radar a bit and do what you are told.

* However, if you are the guy who pisses off the NCO at the airport enough to make him call your company, your entire 10 week cycle is going to be much harder than you would like.

Also, IIRC you are another long AIT MOS, so enjoy being in TRADOC forever.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    I'm doing 8 miles of cardio a day in addition to a regular core workout at my local gym.
    Every day like 7 days a week? Either you're an amazing athlete or you're doing way too much slow running.

Here, check this routine out. Except, take out one day and bring it down to 4 days a week which in my opinion the most a person should be running. Basically, two days of long distance slow runs and 1 day of aerobic intervals and 1 day of anaerobic intervals. And sprinkle some leg exercises like lunges, squats, and heel raises on top of some of the runs.

And if you're running on a treadmill make sure you set the incline to something not 0.

It's just two 4-mile runs a day, about 7:10 per mile, trying to get that down. I'm unemployed until I ship, so all I have to occupy myself is Army Prep and Starcraft 2 :P. I'll take a close look at that exercise plan though, thank you for the advice.

FPA20111 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you're doing a 4 mile run in 28 minutes then I'd say you're set to go in the running department. But still, look into doing some training for speed.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wow! I appreciate all the BCT advice guys, it sounds like I'm doing more or less the right thing. Tons of cardio and do whatever the Dsgt says. I probably sound like the average naive pre-boot, but I'm so excited to get started. Signal is exactly what I wanted and when I did well on the ASVAB and 25S was open I straight-up fist pumped at my recruiting station.

One more thing I was wondering, is Signal decent for picking up rank fairly quickly? I've heard conflicting reports ranging from I'll be Sergeant Major of the Army in about 5 minutes to "Get used to Echo4".

FPA20111 on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If anything there are several factors to how fast you get demoted. They are

A) Are you a Shit Bag?
    B) Do you give a shit?
    C) Motivated?
    D) Is your PT Good?
    E) Are Slots Available?

Ace in the Hole : What Type of Person is your Commander?

Answer Sheet

Excluding A, if any of the answers were yes you'll get promoted quickly. The Commander question is vague because they vary. Some promote as soon as possible. Others like to hold progression back to make sure you know your shit before promoting you.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That makes sense. Since Signal's a fairly small corps, I didn't know if it worked for or against your promotion chances. I know that a lot of Marines have trouble picking up because advancement opportunities are really limited, small corps size and whatnot.

FPA20111 on
This discussion has been closed.