Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have enough money to buy the Dragon's Armor in act two, but only just. I have the Hunter's Armor right now. Do I want to splurge on it or wait?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone heard any chatter on the likelihood of whether the (presumed) success of the game might prompt the publisher to get off their ass and translate the rest of Sapkowski's novels?

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not to gloat, but I just ordered all the Geralt books in German 8-)

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone heard any chatter on the likelihood of whether the (presumed) success of the game might prompt the publisher to get off their ass and translate the rest of Sapkowski's novels?

next one is out next year, taking their sweet time but i doubt its going to make them go any faster.

Hoz wrote: »
    Probably the latter.

If it's not Raven, then I'm not sure. Looks so bland, I don't know why you would care. The best looking armor is astrologist's armor. Fact.

i like the look of it though, looks very witchery, havent seen astrologists armour yet, im still deep in chapter 2
    finishing up side quests before taking out the mist

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »

hah, i knew i hated you.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Klyka wrote: »

hah, i knew i hated you.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words hurt pretty bad man :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Either get the gog.com executable or just crack it :/

It's pretty sad

Its real sad.

but you know whats cool?

Gog has responded to this by stating as long as you own a legit copy- we do not care which exe you use.

Are they providing the exe, or is it more of a wink-wink-nudge-nudge thing where they're telling people to hop on a torrent?

Wink wink really. From gaf-

platinum.png

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That looks like Raven armor, which you get if you import a Witcher 1 save.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The top tip on the ATI forums is to rename the witcher exe to UE3.exe.

This actually gave me a tangible performance boost though just exactly why is something I don't even want to understand.
    Because your ATI card uses different settings for UE3.exe. You can go into Catalyst Control and set them yourself if you want. This affects all games.

Okay I tried the name change. Doesn't work. It just causes the wolfhead launcher to hang.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    That looks like Raven armor, which you get if you import a Witcher 1 save.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The top tip on the ATI forums is to rename the witcher exe to UE3.exe.

This actually gave me a tangible performance boost though just exactly why is something I don't even want to understand.
    Because your ATI card uses different settings for UE3.exe. You can go into Catalyst Control and set them yourself if you want. This affects all games.

Okay I tried the name change. Doesn't work. It just causes the wolfhead launcher to hang.

Don't start it with the launcher.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hmm

so not sure whats wrong

I tried with the uber sampling off, I tried with low, med, high settings and the game always skips

My computer has 12 gigs of ram, nvidia 9800 GTX2, and an i7 3.4ghz

maybe my graphics card is old or something

M.D. on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    how do you see your FPS while playing the game?

Khaczor on
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    @Mr. Defecation - Have you tried updating the graphics card to the latest drivers? I've heard that the 3D feature is causing framerate issues as well.

@Khaczor - The free version of FRAPS works for recording FPS.

Prisca on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finally made my way to Chapter 1, and I'm really starting to take a liking to Vernon.

Some of the lines while he's carrying Triss during the Squirrel ambush were priceless.
    "At least I'll die holding a lovely arse!"

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    You get Raven armor for importing a save or importing a save that had the armor? Because fuck that shit, I am not doing more fetch quests.

It's actually not so bad in the first game. The tombs are pretty small (just bring plenty of Cat or a torch). The armor also makes the final sequences considerably easier (it's pretty badass).

Also I finally got the crack into Assassin of Kings this past weekend and wrote out a nice long review/initial impressions:

The Witcher 2 Will Kick Your Ass

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yea I recently had to wipe my hdd, so I installed all the new drivers for everything. So my Nvidia is updated. I remember too because when I installed the newest driver it came with the 3D stuff

M.D. on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, make sure it's not merely the newest, it's the BETA newest. If you don't specifically tell NVidia's site you want a beta driver, sometimes it won't list it. It should be new as of... the 18th or 19th, I think.

And don't install the 3d vision stuff. It's linked to framerate drops, even if you don't use it.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It skips like there are short little stutters or it just has a low framerate?

Try upping the texture memory size setting.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i'm at work so when I get home ill check the drivers again.

I'll also uninstall that 3d stuff, didnt think it would mess with anythign if I didnt have it running.

it skips like short little stutters I cant even view the opening stuff

actually maybe its low frame rate, cause when I move the mouse to select new game options and stuff its really sluggish and jumps from one point to the next

M.D. on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yea I recently had to wipe my hdd, so I installed all the new drivers for everything. So my Nvidia is updated. I remember too because when I installed the newest driver it came with the 3D stuff

Your GPU is very old.

Time to upgrade.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    His vid card should be fine for medium settings. If raising/lowering settings is having no noticeable effect on performance then something is wrong.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, poor framerate during the intro makes it look stuttery or floaty, as it tries to keep the video synced with the audio. It's actually a really good barometer, all told: keep tweaking until the intro movie looks butter smooth and the game itself will be likewise.

First things to do for more FPS without a big quality hit: Get the newest beta drivers, increase texture memory to "large" if you've got a gig (I guess) of onboard video RAM (basically set it high and turn it down if you get out-of-memory crashes - with 2gb onboard with a GTX-280, I set it at "Very large" and it worked beautifully), don't install (or do uninstall) 3dVision, turn off ubersampling, turn on dangling object limit, turn shadow quality and number of lights shadowed down to medium, and turn off motion blur (it's a sickening, over-used effect).

I further chose to turn off anti-aliasing (I run at 1920x1200, where it's not particularly necessary), and I _always_ keep v-sync on (I don't think there's ever a reason to turn it off).

Things I would not touch unless I had to: depth of field and blur effects are just too awesome to turn off, SSAO is really nice if you can handle it (makes ambient light behave realistically), and bloom and light shafts are really well used by the engine. I'd lower the resolution before I dumped these.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    All that said, he could be having the DRM problem.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Does Dethmold look like Adam Sessler with eye makeup to anyone else?

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    awww

okay guess ill go look for a new one :(

i'll try the suggestions once I get home, I'll look for a new card thoguh cause I had planned on getting one jsut didnt do it thinking my card would last a bit longer.

Can an older card do sli with a newer one?

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    From wiki:
    In an SLI configuration, cards can be of mixed manufacturers, card model names, BIOS revisions or clock speeds. However, they must be of the same GPU series (e.g. 8600, 8800) and GPU model name (e.g. GT, GTS, GTX).[20] There are rare exceptions for "mixed SLI" configurations on some cards that only have a matching core codename (e.g. G70, G73, G80, etc.), but this is otherwise not possible, and only happens when two matched cards differ only very slightly, an example being a differing amount of video memory, stream processors, or clockspeed. In this case, the slower/lesser card becomes dominant, and the other card matches. Another exception is the GTS 250, which can SLI with the 9800 GTX+, as the GTS 250 GPU is a rebadged 9800 GTX+ GPU.

Also, do you have retail? It is reported that the retail DRM is causing a heavy performance drop. This can be fixed with different .exe (or you can wait for the patch this week).

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    awww

i'll try the suggestions once I get home, I'll look for a new card thoguh cause I had planned on getting one jsut didnt do it thinking my card would last a bit longer.

No. You can have two different cards power two different monitors, but to work together in SLI they must be identical in all aspects. One popular thing to do lately is to use the newer card for graphics and the older one for physics, which the newer NVidia drivers support (and even encourage), but a game has to specifically support hardware physics for this to work, which Witcher 2 doesn't.

EDIT: Alright, the long answer is, as pointed out above, soooometimes different cards can work in SLI. But I would strongly - STRONGLY - advise against fucking with that. SLI is dicey enough without giving it more reason to bite your ass.

It's irrelevant, though, because if you're going to buy a second card, the speed benefits of SLI are so slim that adding a second equivalent card is pointless. Get something newer and fast in the midrange, always stick with NVidia (ATI sucks haaaaard, sorry guys), and if you have the power supply to run both it and the old card at once, make the old one the physics processor.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    awww

Should you buy a newer nvidia card I believe you can use this old one to offload shit like PhysX and stuff, but the answer in general is no.

A good thing to determine for this game is whether or not you bought a physical copy or if you got the game off GoG.

If you bought a physical copy or from d2d, you've got DRM, which when negated with the GoG .exe will improve some performance.

The stutter you describe does sound like it could be related to the DRM.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I bought the collectors edition with all that shit in the box so a physical copy of the game

k i'll jsut look at a newer card to replace my old one too since I bought the ram and cpu and such stuff recently, didnt think my gpu was really that old either.

Thanks for all the help with my problem

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't know your budget, but I'll suggest the 560ti for cheap/performance ratio, though depending on your wealth you may want to go 580 GTX which will be in the same class as your old 9800, just this generation hardware.

If you want to run Witcher 2 on max (ubersampling on, as of yet anyway), you'll need to get the ludicrously expensive and totally-not-worth-it 590.

I mean, you should upgrade the card regardless of whether or not it's causing the issue in my opinion. Though it's very likely that it is. I'm running 6gb ram, i7 950 3.1ghz but a GTX 460 (which is a mid-low range card) and I'm running the game maxed sans the one option - ubersampling.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I actually just went with the 460 as well, it was a reasonable price.

M.D. on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm using a single AMD Radeon 6970 with the game on all Ultra settings and it's running amazingly.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm using a single AMD Radeon 6970 with the game on all Ultra settings and it's running amazingly.

Well one would kind of hope so.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I am using a 4890, I run it on high and I fear to put it on ultra. The card was running at 74 celcius last night.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was under the impression that only temperatures above 90 Celsius on a video card were a cause for concern when playing a graphics intensive game. Am I mistaken because 74 seems pretty cool while under load.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    so a witcher nexus is up full of mods for i think both games http://www.witchernexus.com/index.php

furry nude modes in 3.. 2... 1...

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bloody hell.

The voice of Geralt was the voice of Cal in Independence War 2.

:o

WMain00 on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I was under the impression that only temperatures above 90 Celsius on a video card were a cause for concern when playing a graphics intensive game. Am I mistaken because 74 seems pretty cool while under load.

80 is generally when you have to start worrying. 74 isn't too bad.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am using a 4890, I run it on high and I fear to put it on ultra. The card was running at 74 celcius last night.

High performance cards are high performance in part because of the durability yield of their components. They are cards that were meant to be pushed, because they were meant to perform.

IIIRC, 4890 was the highest tier of the 4000 line, thus your card should go up to 90 Celsius under load.

GPU's tend to melt (high performance ones) at around 110-120, and I believe the 4890 retains durability and functionality without issue even at 110.

My GTX460, which is a low-midrange card goes only up to 70, and stops there no matter what. Were I to overclock it, I would get better performance, but it would run into the 90 range with parts that were not deemed (or designed to be) durable enough to withstand the temperatures in that specific range. The 470 and the 480 cards go well into the 90ies and the 100's, and are notorious for performing under extreme temperatures.

However, depending on the luck of the yield, it still might perform without issue. Though it is a dice roll.

Once a card is branded "high performance" (this being the actual number it gets in its production line), like the 4890, it means all of its transistors are functional and expected to perform. Thus it has the highest cost out of the whole production line as well.

My suggestion is that you get as much performance out of your card as you can.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    The Witcher 2, savior of PC gaming, plays better on a 360 controller.

It doesn't.

No, I'd say it definitely does and all the menus were clearly designed with controller use in mind.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, mind. It's just funny is all.

Yes, they've been designed for the console version, because they're working things out to get the game to consoles.

No, the game does not work better with a controller.

Yeah, I know it's pancake, but except for maybe the radial menu, the menus really don't work better with a controller than the mouse

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    The Witcher 2, savior of PC gaming, plays better on a 360 controller.

It doesn't.

No, I'd say it definitely does and all the menus were clearly designed with controller use in mind.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, mind. It's just funny is all.

Yes, they've been designed for the console version, because they're working things out to get the game to consoles.

No, the game does not work better with a controller.

Yeah, I know it's pancake, but except for maybe the radial menu, the menus really don't work better with a controller than the mouse

I guess thats subjective to what you're used to. I know the lack of a crosshair made me flail about trying to hit some smuck in the back because I never got used to using the targeter. I can't play games like Halo on a console and even shit like Fable takes some getting used to, but I can totally see how a controller would fit the game perfectly.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png