As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3: Now You're Thinking with Two Screens - Wii U Photos in OP

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    for whoever was asking about multitouch on the screen, it still uses a stylus so, nope

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wren wrote: »
    of course Metro 2 will likely have been out for a while already by the time the Wii U comes out

you don't see this thing launching in spring?

that's what I'm betting on

almost a full year from now? yeah probably. in which case almost all if not all of those games they announced will have been out for like 8 months already on every other system

I mean Im sure it'll have other games worth playing but I'm not going to get excited about an Arkham City I have to wait even longer for

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope Nintendo ditches the friend code garbage

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    DualShock is a very good design. It still has a couple of issues.

I wish they'd swap the D-pad and the analog, since more games use analog any more.

The L2/R2 triggers extend past the frame of the controller and are easy to accidentally bump when picking up or setting down the controller and that will unexpectedly fastforward or rewind a movie you are watching.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    of course Metro 2 will likely have been out for a while already by the time the Wii U comes out

you don't see this thing launching in spring?

that's what I'm betting on

almost a full year from now? yeah probably. in which case almost all if not all of those games they announced will have been out for like 8 months already on every other system

I mean Im sure it'll have other games worth playing but I'm not going to get excited about an Arkham City I have to wait even longer for

metro 2 has a release date of 2012. if this is released early spring 2012, and metro is released early spring 2012....

Langly on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just glad that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is actually being worked on

Even though it's not coming out anytime soon

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    i love the dual shock design

samesies

It is just so easy to be lazy with

I...hold it with two hands? The left hand for left stick/d pad, the right hand for right stick/buttons? Am I crazy? It worked really well for me.

I mean, I have really big hands, maybe that helped, I don't know.

I have big hands and it does not help, fuck the dual shock

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the dualshock's fine. It could be a little more ergonomic but it's fine

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    halo anniversary edition to launch with 360 version of the duke

I wish

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    i love the dual shock design

samesies

It is just so easy to be lazy with

I...hold it with two hands? The left hand for left stick/d pad, the right hand for right stick/buttons? Am I crazy? It worked really well for me.

I mean, I have really big hands, maybe that helped, I don't know.

I have big hands and it does not help, fuck the dual shock

I have pretty big hands for a girl but still relatively mid sized hands
    I am always reaching too far for the start and back on the xbox controller with my thumbs and it takes too much effort to hit the front bumper

but I grew up with dualshock controllers so y'know maybe I'm just accustomed to it

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I hope Nintendo ditches the friend code garbage

This.

This so incredibly much.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    360 controller would be the best if not for that dpad

I have the one with the twisty D-Pad and when I was walking through my living room yesterday I noticed that the D-Pad exploded off of it at some point in the past week

i haven't touched it since friday

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters, I know what you're afraid of here, but you shoudn't be. Their format is basically an encryption method used on the discs. I'm sure they're HD-capacity discs, they just do that to help prevent piracy. And it isn't that big of a deal, any company can get the rights to create media for it, it's just a matter of how the disc printer creates them, it has nothing to do whatsoever with how the games/programs are created or compiled.

Sony spent billions and sold the PS3 at a huge loss to win a format war and did. Blu-ray is the standard and it's not even close to its potential. Why increase the costs of productions on developers by adding an additional format to the mix? Clearly staying in the general mix is still not a priority for Nintendo.

The WiiU could still be great but I took on a chance on the Wii and "the new controller could open up a ton of new game design possibilities, and it seems like it could be a really brilliant idea if handled correctly" argument at $199 in 2006 and got burned. Now all indications are the same strategy at $350? No thanks.

I seriously doubt Nintendo is in a rush to put proprietary Sony tech into their next gen console. I doubt even the next Xbox will use Blu-Ray

Blu-ray is not proprietary Sony tech and if Microsoft wants to stay in direct competition with Playstation they'll definitely be using Blu-ray as well next time around.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The shape of the Xbox controller is generally more comfy in the hands, and the triggers feel better than Sony's, but man that D-pad is awful.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Posted this in the WoW thread but:

http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/star-wars

Live streaming TOR gameplay and Q&A.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Koshian wrote: »
    worst controller form factor: dualshock

It's served 3 separate console generations pretty well so far.
    If it ain't broke don't fix m i rite

Not saying that at all. Just can't be the "worst" when it's worked for so many for so long.

360's is pretty good except for the d-pad. XBox's second controller would have been awesome except for the stupid black and white buttons.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Gamecube and wii are kind of anomalies though

Nintendo Entertainment System

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo [Entertainment System] 64

"Nintendo" used to by synonymous with video games in the public eye so they jammed the word into all of their system names. Now "Wii" is synonymous with video games in the public eye so it's no surprise that they're doing the same thing with it.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it so it made sense, instead of not knowing that I literally just came home and read the news and was expressing my opinion and rudely snapping at me like others around here.

I love how you turn this around so everyone else is being rude toward you instead of you (as you tacitly admit above) just making assertions out of admitted ignorance

you keep saying stupid shit in this thread
    you deserve most of the backlash you're getting

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Adam Sessler just said that Uncharted 2 was "the resounding best game of 2009"

Funny, "Uncharted 2" sounds nothing like "Arkham Asylum"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't mean to shit all over this new Wii, as I'm sure they'll make lots of money, but their idea is to release a console aimed at so-called hardcore gamers as well as the casuals, but it won't be playing anything more powerful than the 2 consoles those hardcore guys already have, other than first party games? Who is going to buy this? The 4 guys desperate to play Arkham who don't already own a system that can? Nintendo die hards that won't buy any other company's systems?

Or is this some huge gamble on the people that bought the Wii buying it as a console for the entire family, including their resident game playing person that somehow doesn't already own a console?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    this Battlefield 3 segment has been pretty bad so far. Though I did laugh at White Chocolate

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Didn't play Arkham but Uncharted 2 was pretty baller.

Butters on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dru be rude to me

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Butters, I know what you're afraid of here, but you shoudn't be. Their format is basically an encryption method used on the discs. I'm sure they're HD-capacity discs, they just do that to help prevent piracy. And it isn't that big of a deal, any company can get the rights to create media for it, it's just a matter of how the disc printer creates them, it has nothing to do whatsoever with how the games/programs are created or compiled.

Sony spent billions and sold the PS3 at a huge loss to win a format war and did. Blu-ray is the standard and it's not even close to its potential. Why increase the costs of productions on developers by adding an additional format to the mix? Clearly staying in the general mix is still not a priority for Nintendo.

The WiiU could still be great but I took on a chance on the Wii and "the new controller could open up a ton of new game design possibilities, and it seems like it could be a really brilliant idea if handled correctly" argument at $199 in 2006 and got burned. Now all indications are the same strategy at $350? No thanks.

I seriously doubt Nintendo is in a rush to put proprietary Sony tech into their next gen console. I doubt even the next Xbox will use Blu-Ray

Blu-ray is not proprietary Sony tech and if Microsoft wants to stay in direct competition with Playstation they'll definitely be using Blu-ray as well next time around.

Blu-Ray is not strictly Sony, but that is the company most associated with it, and to avoid the negative cachet that might come with using a "competitor's" format they may work on their own thing

and people will still develop for their system

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you should play arkham it is good times

but also it is dumb to call it the best game when a) best game of the system is generally understood to mean best exclusive and b) LittleBigPlanet 2 exists

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I didn't play Uncharted 2 because Uncharted 1 was so lackluster.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Posted this in the WoW thread but:

http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/star-wars

Live streaming TOR gameplay and Q&A.

unless there's a release date I don't even wanna see this

I ALREADY WANT THIS GAME ALREADY GIVE IT

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

No it wasn't

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    unless there's a release date I don't even wanna see this

I ALREADY WANT THIS GAME ALREADY GIVE IT

Well, they're playing on the server right now with people from E3, doing quests, so that bodes well at least since they aren't just making instanced demo dungeon videos and such.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    you should play arkham it is good times

but also it is dumb to call it the best game when a) best game of the system is generally understood to mean best exclusive and b) LittleBigPlanet 2 exists

"resounding best game of 2009"

LBP2 came out at the beginning of this year

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    even if it was, willfully ignoring what is easily one of the best games on the system is pretty silly

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »

No it wasn't

I still haven't gone back to finish it because I don't really care to. It's not a bad game, it's just not great either. I find it to be solidly mediocre.

The controls are pretty clunky, the game play extremely repetitive, but the environments and story are pretty neat.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Who's the long haired soul patch douche motherfucker on G4? That guy is the worst.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Uncharted 2 is the best video game of the past 10 years

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am playing Arkahm Asylum right now

But Uncharted 2 is better

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    even if it was, willfully ignoring what is easily one of the best games on the system is pretty silly

Did they make a lot of improvements to the second one? I got the first one from goozex to get into the series and it left me unimpressed. I'd say it's generally a fair stance to not care too much about playing the second one if the first one wasn't very fun.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I haven't played either uncharted game

they're pretty to look at but nothing I've seen of the gameplay has particularly "wowed" me

It just sort of looks like another cover-based shooter?

I mean I'm sure it's fun and again it looks gorgeous but

vov

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    to avoid the negative cachet that might come with using a "competitor's" format

I'm not convinced this easily explained issue is a real problem that would justify millions of investment for a new format that will be largely ignored by all other forms of media outside of gaming.

"Microsoft, why are you using Sony's format?"

"We're not. Sony doesn't own Blu-ray nor did they own Compact Disc or DVD"

"Oh."

I hated Uncharted 1. Hated it. Uncharted 2 is way better.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I wouodnt go near that far

But it was probably the best game I played in 09

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Did they make a lot of improvements to the second one? I got the first one from goozex to get into the series and it left me unimpressed. I'd say it's generally a fair stance to not care too much about playing the second one if the first one wasn't very fun.

it was widely considered to be the best game of 2009

and it's not like the first Uncharted was a media darling

improvements were made to the shooting and traversal, and they took out the sixaxis crap

I'd say it's worth a look if you liked the story and setting from the first game

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I wouodnt go near that far

But it was probably the best game I played in 09

Except Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time was released in 2009.

Butters on