As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I believe it is like Cloudeagle said, as soon as these people saw how badly secure these sites and companies were it provided them too good a target and they went in with a passion to see what they could do or get. There was blood in the water and they all smelled it so it's spiraled into something more then originally planned.

Cade on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I know the ZoE collection is 1 and 2. Is The MGS collection 1, 2 and 3?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I mean, at least with Sony they're a huge corporation that has made some decisions in the past few years that have infuriated some people. But Bethesda is a (relatively) small publisher that has done nothing worse than maybe publish a few mediocre games lately.

I think the fact that a bunch of other video game company sites are getting hacked besides Sony makes it appear very likely that the hackers are just hacking for the sake of profit and because they can, not for any sort of agenda or vendetta against Sony.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What profit?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

The MGS collection is 2, 3, and Peace Walker. At least in the US. It's 2 & 3 in Japan, and Peace Walker is a separate game.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What profit?

Lulz

Turkey on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The MGS collection is 2, 3, and Peace Walker. At least in the US. It's 2 & 3 in Japan, and Peace Walker is a separate game.

Hmm, thats pretty cool too. Switch out 2 for 1 and it'd be perfect.

But I can live with my favorite MGS game, the MGS game I never played and... MGS2

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What profit?

Personal information.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Names and email addresses aren't really profit, now are they? If the intention of these people was to "profit," I think they would go after a larger or more lucrative company.

[EDIT] Typo.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Unlike Braniac, I don't like MGS or ZOE either (I pretty much dislike Kojima's style and most of the games he's done), so, well, there was pretty much nothing to get excited about at all this E3. Oh, yay, Nintendo's going to get the same FPS games I already don't want to play on other platforms! Seriously, I don't mind that other people like shooters, but I'm sick to death of them, and seeing everybody pimp them was just depressing. EDIT: Oh, and the Kinect stuff? Nice for people who like it, but, again, it's nothing I want to play.

Oh, and here's another depressing thought: Metroid is 25 this year, just like Zelda, yet you'll never see Nintendo mention it because Other M stank so bad and sold so badly. I'm guessing it's going to replace Starfox as their go-to franchise to ignore for a generation, which sucks for me as someone who doesn't particularly care about Nintendo franchises outside of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. I guess that'll be nice for Starfox fans though. ...thanks a lot, Sakamoto, for being completely unable to tell an interesting or coherent story. And I don't want another Metroid Prime, either, since the first one is the only one I really think is any good these days. I'd like another Zero Mission, or a game that shakes up the formula in third person that is actually good, but that's about as likely as hell freezing over, so, yeah, I guess I should just move on now. It's healthier.

Norfair on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    MS is going to Internet Explorer Xbox Live.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306910/windows-8-to-have-xbox-live-built-in/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    Xbox Live will be integrated into the next Microsoft operating system for PC, Windows 8.

Microsoft interactive entertainment marketing chief Mike Delman told the Seattle Times that Xbox Live will be "built into the PC" and that online service will be "the pervasive media service across devices."

Windows 8 is, naturally, tipped as the package that will kick off Xbox Live integration with PCs.

Xbox Live first went beyond the Microsoft console in February last year when it was announced as a feature on Windows Phone 7.

The move to PCs will extend Microsoft's media integration across its platforms. Live TV, Youtube and Bing were all announced as coming to the 360 during E3.

[ Source: PCR Online ]

Rather curious if Xbox Live is going to be built into Windows 8 and will still attempt to charge a subscription fee for access to most of its features. Will it try to pipe advertisements directly to your desktop? We don't tolerate those kinds of things here in PC Land.

To be fair, they haven't charged for gfwl for years. I think, like, shadowrun was the last game they actually had that supported a paid mode.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It is sad that Metroid isn't getting the anniversary treatment, but then again, I haven't loved a Metroid since 2002 (when we got both Metroid Prime & Metroid Fusion) so I'm not that disappointed.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The registration information is extremely valuable to criminals. Lots of people will use the same password and username for everything. If they can get access to a gmail account, they look for banking info, SSN#, anything like that.

Even if they can't manage to access any other accounts, they can use the information to conduct spear fishing attacks or identity thefts. The size and nature of the site they are hacking are irrelevant.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Norfair wrote: »
    Oh, yay, Nintendo's going to get the same FPS games I already don't want to play on other platforms! Seriously, I don't mind that other people like shooters, but I'm sick to death of them, and seeing everybody pimp them was just depressing.

Didn't they only show like one FPS? I remember Darksiders 2 and Assassin's Creed...

As usual, the more support there is for a system, the better chance there is that games will be made that you enjoy. I welcome games that I personally don't care about, because devs do care about install base when making the decision of which system to develop for.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Huh. Come to think of it, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus isn't getting bundled over there, and the Japanese Wii didn't have Wii Sports as a pack-in.

Has it always been this way? The Japanese getting less bundles and pack-ins than westerners, I mean.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Huh. Come to think of it, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus isn't getting bundled over there, and the Japanese Wii didn't have Wii Sports as a pack-in.

Has it always been this way? The Japanese getting less bundles and pack-ins than westerners, I mean.

They get a lot of special edition bundles. Big name games that can sell a custom-painted console with the game. Not so much just regular bundles with a plain console though.

And all this hacking is just making money for password management companies. I'm currently setting up LastPass for myself, as an old e-mail of mine was recently compromised and it hit just a little too close to home for comfort. Passwords only right now, I'll have to go through and change all my security questions and other details later. It's a pain to set up, but I think once it's done it will be nice. Unless I ever need to sign in to an account that doesn't have LastPass installed......

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The size of the size is not irrelevant. Sony's hack was orders of magnitude larger, and only on a scale like that can any sort of worthwhile amount of data be accumulated. Spear phishing may have a higher success rate, but you still need a large pool from which to do so in order to actually profit. Regardless, the presence of personal information does not significantly affect the success rate of phishing attacks, so information collected from these accounts may be irrelevant save for the email.

To say that these attacks are for profit is to think it half-way through.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some are for the actual information, some are probably just because they can. Sometimes the ability to do something is a stronger impetus than the endgame.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Exactly. If a hacker or group of hackers sets out to "profit," as some have claimed is the case here, I don't think they would target Bethesda Softworks, a smaller third-part video game publisher with a small community of forum participants and blog commenters. Hell, I doubt they even took any information, but rather just did it because they could.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    To be fair, they haven't charged for gfwl for years. I think, like, shadowrun was the last game they actually had that supported a paid mode.

Shadowrun was the very first GFWL available (along with Halo 2). According to wiki, GFWL was made free on July 22, 2008, which is over a year later. Apparently before then silver accounts could play online, but not in ranked matches and couldn't even send or accept game invites.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ruh Roh Shaggy!
    Michel Ancel, the creator of Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil, has said that he does not think Nintendo's new console should be deemed 'next-gen'.

Asked if the Wii U is a next-generation machine, Ancel replied: "Not really. I think Wii U is next-gen in terms of interface."

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at E3, Ancel explained how he thinks others will be quick to imitate Nintendo.

"I think people are going to copy it, because you've got this mix between tablet, touch screen and big screen – big screen and little screen - there are a lot of possibilities."

Pressed on this issue - whether he expected Microsoft or Sony to cook up something similar - Ancel replied: "I don't know if Sony will do it, or Microsoft – but yes, I think it's a possibility. But I think the main thing is to have this – offering new ways to play is very interesting."

Ubisoft currently has several projects in development for Wii U, although Ancel was quick to confirm that Rayman was not one of them.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/wii_u_is_not_next-gen_says_michel_ancel.html

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Slap fight!
    EA desperately wants to take back the shooter crown, and standing in its way is the blockbuster Call of Duty franchise, which will attempt to up the ante once again this holiday with Modern Warfare 3 and the new Elite social service. EA has an impressive candidate in Battlefield 3 as well, but both companies have gotten aggressive lately in media interviews. The latest comes from EA boss John Riccitiello, who commented that Activision knows it's "threatened."

Riccitiello was responding to comments from Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick, who cast doubt on Battlefield 3 as a console title. "I can’t objectively tell you what I think of other products until I see them. Battlefield I’ve only seen on a PC and nobody’s seen it on a console yet. Most of our consumers play games on a console. Until I see it on a console, I wouldn’t be objective on commenting on it," Kotick said to CNBC.

Riccitiello called this misinformation, and hit back with: “It’s the beginning of the war and (Kotick) recognizes they’re going to be threatened. We’re going to have a clash of the titans this fall. The very fact that he’s trying to cast doubt on our game is a perfect example of how we got his goat. In terms of where this goes, we think our PS3 game is better than their Xbox game and our PC game is better than their PC game. If that’s all he’s got to say, it’s obviously going to evaporate as we launch all three. If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage. If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble.”

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-ceo-activision-knows-its-threatened-by-battlefield-3/

Well, that sounded particularly GAF-y.

Edit: Hah, nice companion to Brainiac's next-gen definition thing. Weren't there loads of people who said the same thing about the Wii?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really have to say I like when business execs go at it.

That being said, he is right. We haven't seen much of BF3 on the console and that is a big chunk of the market they're trying to take from Activision.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The phrase "next-gen" has stopped meaning anything.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So Digital Warrington will soon be dead as a doorknob.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/thq-shutters-homefront-dev-kaos-studios-and-thq-digital-warringt/
    Update: Due to UK law requiring employers to give a 60 day warning before layoffs, THQ says that THQ Warrington employees' warning "starts today ... and it is longer than 30 days." Given that, it's "not an immediate closure," but "a notification process leading to closure" for the UK-based studio.
    The UK industry has been doing so awesome lately...

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No More Heroes 3 is definitely coming to the WiiU but may star a different lead character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJyTIyFdeA&feature=player_embedded

I'm not sure if I'd like a NMH without Travis. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm starting the rumor that No More Heroes 3 will star Duke Nukem.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/38014/Crytek-Were-bringing-our-tech-to-Wii-U
    CryEngine will also have 'deep support for Kinect'

CryEngine-built software is already close to fully running on Nintendo’s next-generation console, engine vendor Crytek has said.

“Crytek’s support for Wii U is definitely going to happen,” company CEO Cevat Yerli told Develop in a new interview to be published soon.

Yerli claimed that CryEngine's tech was close to fully running on Nintendo’s new system, though wouldn’t specify any details.

“We aren't showing it but we are pretty much running it already,” Yerli said.

The news comes days after Develop revealed that Crytek’s closest business rival, Epic Games, is also supporting Wii U with its high-end game engine.

Yerli suggested that Crytek will be taking a more aggressive business approach with CryEngine 3, which at the time of writing only supports PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 projects.

He said he wants CryEngine to eventually support “every platform that's a major player in the industry of gaming”.

“We are expanding in many ways, and some of that is more announced than others. Kinect is major driver for future platforms as well, so Kinect support is important. Having basic Kinect support in the CryEngine is one thing, but I'm talking about really supporting it deeply. CryEngine is going to have deep support.

“Then there are other efforts towards supporting mobile and tablets, which we can only say we are working on. How far we have gone and what we mean is something I can't say more about now.”

Nintendo turned heads at this year's E3 by unveiling an ambitions next-generation console that displays TV content on the system’s controller itself.

However, throughout E3, Nintendo execs had dodged questions on the Wii U’s system specifics.

All the company’s execs at the event would onlyexplain the console's horsepower in illustrative terms.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is going to be $40:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/dead-rising-2-off-the-record-will-cost-40-in-north-america/

That's about $20 too expensive IMO for a game I essentially already bought :P Ah well, I'm sure it will drop in price pretty rapidly.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Considering even budget reprints of games tend to be priced at $30 nowadays, $20 seems a bit idealistic.

Then again, I still haven't picked up DR2, and I've been looking forward to Off the Record.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does it have online co-op?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I really have to say I like when business execs go at it.

That being said, he is right. We haven't seen much of BF3 on the console and that is a big chunk of the market they're trying to take from Activision.

We'll see the console version on Thursday night on Fallon.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Minecraft has just passed 2.5 million sales.

May NPD
    Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
    L.A. Noire (360, PS3) 1 Take 2 Interactive
    Brink (360, PS3, PC) 2 Bethesda Softworks
    Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) 3 Disney Interactive Studios
    Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) 4 Electronic Arts
    Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) 5 Warner Bros. Interactive
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) 6 Activision Blizzard
    Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) 7 Majesco
    NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) 8 Take 2 Interactive
    Just Dance 2 (Wii) 9 Ubisoft
    Lego Star Ware III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) 10 Lucasarts

Couscous on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow. Way to go Brink.

Sheep on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I'm surprised by that.

Dance games still all up ins.

Now we need hardware!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    L.A. Noire did better than I thought it would.
    Portal 2's got some legs.
    CODBLOPS just keeps on going.
    As does Zumba. Good goddamn, I've never seen such a shitty game sell so well.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And once again TT is vindicated by the fact that the Lego games still sell like crazy.

Lego + Popular License + ??? = PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's a decent game buried somewhere inside Brink. I'm just glad I didn't pay real money to play it.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Functionally, there's very little potentially different from any enemy in any video game, aside from backstory (and appearance I guess.). You can just easily make a game with robotic or monstrous opponents that plays exactly like Modern Warfare. It's all ultimately in the presentation. Which is why it weirds me out a little when a company actually tries to do something a little different than "aliens spaceships come down and invade." and still gets lumped in with the things they're trying to be different from. Makes me wonder why they should bother.

If the originality is the aliens come from the ground instead of space, who cares?

But they're not aliens at all. As you as you dump a generic, INCORRECT, label on them, then you actively devalue the worth of that fact. Maybe more people would care if they weren't running around with the misconception.
    That's like arguing the zombies coming from a virus, and zombies based a on magic curse are really different. You may be able to expand the idea in different directions, but overall concept? You're dealing with zombies.
    Of course it's in how you expand the idea. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! Doing something different allows you to build up more different concepts in the long run. Is a HL2 zombie the same as a Dead Rising zombie?
    Gears of War shares many visual and thematic similarities with games that involve space marines.
    So basically, don't bother trying to be even slightly/i] different when making a genre game because nobody cares.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    The phrase "next-gen" has stopped meaning anything.

Usually next-gen, for anyone with a head out of their ass, means the next set of platforms put out by the console developers.

Sounds like this guy thinks "Next-gen" means "HOLY SHIT GRAPHIX+++" which is shallow and dumb. He has a dumb face. I Googled it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's us. We were the aliens all along.

Those poor locusts.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram