As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Card Q: 320MB enough for next year?

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
I'll make it very brief. I'm trying to decide between an nVidia 8880GTS with 320MB of ram, and one with 640MB. Other than that they are identical.
I tend to replace my video card every summer, more or less, so I'm mainly wondering if 320MB is enough to avoid being a bottleneck for the next year or so. I run at 1680x1050, and the games I'm most interested in over the next year are BF2142, Team Fortress 2, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed.
Is the 320 MB of ram likely to be a problem for me over the next year?

To put it more succinctly, is the chip going to go obsolete before the amount of ram, or vice versa?

Dance Commander on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    320 megs won't be obsolete for a long, long time. The important part is how much more it costs for the 640 meg version.

Azio on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah.. what's the price difference?

Also, does it really matter if you're going to be buying a new video card in 12 months?

slash000 on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited June 2007
    Go for the 320, anything more will not help much. Next year get a 640.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The most important factor is what resolution you're running at.

Generaly you want to run your LCD monitor in native res.

After 1680 x 1050 resolution (native res for a 22 inch widescreen), the ability for a 320 meg 8800 to render the screen in a single frame buffered pass will be cut down, and you'll notice a sharp drop in frame rates at resolutions above that, especially if you're using AA.

If you have a smaller (less than 23 inch) montior you should be fine with a 320.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sorry, it's ~$100 price difference for the extra memory.
    As I said, I run at 1680x1050 -- the native resolution of my monitor. Obviously I want to keep doing so!
    And it's not so much that I'm guaranteed to be buying a new card in 12 months, although that's kind of the pattern (I get bored over the summer and tend to buy new cases so I have an excuse to redo all the cabling and such). I just don't want to look back at some point and go, gee, if I'd spent the extra 100 bucks I'd be able to run this game, the GPU can handle it there just isn't enough RAM.
    Pretty classic consumer fear I guess =P

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It should be fine as long as you don't use high AA settings.

Also, Unreal Engine 3.0 uses a lot of per-pixel effects so you would be throttled by next gen games long before you started texture swapping from the hd.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Maveric120Maveric120 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I have just been presented with a similar question. I believe my current video card, a GeForce 6600, has some kind of problem. My screen began to flip to black whenever I did anything, such as scrolling through a Firefox window quickly. On reboots, I would get various visual errors, such as garrbage charatcers and blue lines on the windows XP loading screen. These have all gone away since I removed the card. I'm leaning toward just getting a new one. Is a EVGA e-GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCI-e for 200 a decent deal. My native resolution in 1280X1024.

Maveric120 on
    Maveric120.png
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maveric120 wrote: »
    Well, I have just been presented with a similar question. I believe my current video card, a GeForce 6600, has some kind of problem. My screen began to flip to black whenever I did anything, such as scrolling through a Firefox window quickly. On reboots, I would get various visual errors, such as garrbage charatcers and blue lines on the windows XP loading screen. These have all gone away since I removed the card. I'm leaning toward just getting a new one. Is a EVGA e-GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCI-e for 200 a decent deal. My native resolution in 1280X1024.
    Newegg is selling it for $150 with a $20 rebate.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The 7900 line seems to have a lot of problems with the video ram becoming corrupted due to factory overclocking. I had one of those, worked great for a year or so, then started to have flashing pixels everywhere that would smear across the screen, stretched polygons, etc. I would not recommend that model.

Dance Commander on