As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Maximum Thread Size?

zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
The old 'maximum thread size' used to be 100 pages under the default 25 posts-per-page. If you were using 50 posts per page it'd be 50 pages, or 10ppp it'd be 250 pages.

That meant that the old limit was 2500 posts per thread. The new system uses 40 posts per page as default (is that changeable?). My question is, what are the new guidelines for making closing a thread that is too long?

The old limit of 2500 posts (62 pages)? 2000 posts (50 pages, 20% shorter)? 4000 posts (100 pages, 60% longer)? Or now that we're on new architecture, can we make 1000+ page long threads?

zerg rush on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Half of the reason for the size restriction on threads is so people are not intimidated from joining a conversation in progress by the page count on the thread. I would be totally cool with between a 50 to 75 page thread if the default per-page is now higher. How about 60 pages?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The intimidation is more from the page count than the post count. And since the post count isn't (currently) visible anyway, I don't really see why it couldn't remain 100 pages by default.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    100 pages still seems like a good number to stick to. I don't see any reason to be mathing this out. If we were to drop the maximum page count, may as well make it 50, just to make it a good flat number to down it to.

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    We already decided this several days ago, we are sticking with 100-page caps on threads.