As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LTTP] Suikoden

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    He is totally main party worthy. Actually, most of the characters that aren't only able to be placed in your main party because they hadn't worked out the support system (Krin, the doctor, the inventor, etc) can be worthwhile.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Those characters are probably the worst in any Suikoden game.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's the thing that kills me about Suikoden, there's so many great characters I stress over who will be in my main party way to much.

Take Suikoden V:
    Between Killey Zerase, Zweig, Raven, Shigure, Nakula, Prince, Georg, Kyle, Galleon, the Dragon Knights, etc, etc. I was also super pissed that I had to have a certain bodyguard on my team since she took up a slot that I wanted to give to someone worthy

Don't get me wrong it's great having that particular problem. It just really sucks having to whittle down your team or replace someone you've stuck with for awhile because an even bigger badass shows up.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It was worse (for me, anyway) in II. It would have been even worse in III, but you spend so much of that game with three or four full parties that made it more bearable.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    It was worse (for me, anyway) in II. It would have been even worse in III, but you spend so much of that game with three or four full parties that made it more bearable.

Yeah, that's one of the many things I liked about III, a lot of times you have a party you just have to stick with. I mean, I like having options in terms of who's in my party, but in some of the Suikoden games (as well as Chrono Cross) choosing who to put on your team can be more of a burden. Especially during parts where you have big army battles where you have to use most of the people available, making it all the more tedious.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Especially during parts where you have big army battles where you have to use most of the people available, making it all the more tedious.

Ugh. Yeah. My least favorite part of Suikoden V was the last dungeon.

I had been going through the whole game with the same party, and then all of a sudden they were all "LOLS THREE PARTIES NAO." Everyone else in my castle was on their initial level, and with level 1 weapons. I was so pissed off.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    I liked the all blacksmith party, personally.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Especially during parts where you have big army battles where you have to use most of the people available, making it all the more tedious.

I had been going through the whole game with the same party, and then all of a sudden they were all "LOLS THREE PARTIES NAO." Everyone else in my castle was on their initial level, and with level 1 weapons. I was so pissed off.

Good to know that ahead of time, I have a tendancy to not use characters other than my favorites.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Geddoe is still one of my favorite videogame characters to date.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I still haven't had a chance to play Suiko V. Played all the others, and only haven't beaten 3. (The ending was spoiled for me, and the army gameplay sucked enough to make me not want to bother finishing) I didn't hate IV as much as most seemed to, but it was definitely the worst one and waaay too easy.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'll take that over Suikoden III's army battles. If III hadn't completely dominated the scope of major battles, I would not have near the hatred I do for it.

I actually think they should do multi-partied stuff more often, and have it balanced more throughout the game. Things like infiltrating two enemy cities at the same time, so pick two different parties. There are plenty of scenarios that could be written around doing it, there's almost always enough interesting characters to ensure it's not just annoying, and it'd help to prepare for the epic three party boss battles that every game should have.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To all those holding off I'm playing V, I gotta say just play it. I've yet to play IV due to a great deal of meh impressions from others and I had a complete blast with V. Took around 50 hours with all 108 stars, so yes it is a bit long but its great from start to finish. Its a bit slower then the others, and load times certainly add to that time count but it hooked me from about 5 hours in to the end. Stick it out through the slow beginning and you'll find a great game, right up there with II.

I just finished it last night, and now I'm debating whether or not to buy IV, even though many say its not very good. I'm just on such a Suikoden high right now, I need more!

Rei on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It has a fucking awesome intro song, decent graphics, some cool characters, one amazingly developed character, and the best True Rune story.

Go play IV, it's pretty worth it.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I had to say something nice about IV I'd have to say that it can be had for cheaper than any of ther games in the main series.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    V was amazing, but one thing I didn't really like was
    Lucretia's fucking omnipotence. Having a brilliant tactician is one thing, but they took it into a whole other level where I just couldn't suspend my disbelief. It's like at the end of every story arc OOPS LUCRETIA KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN SINCE BEFORE YOU EVEN MET HER. I bet she had the strategy guide tucked away in those robes of hers.

Javen on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey guys, I'm up to 105 stars. I'm finishing this baby tonight.

And I just got back from my cousin's, with Suikoden II in my grasp.

Gonna be one interesting night. :D

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Random off-topic question, but it can be answered really quickly:

What does LTTP stand for? I am wracking my brain trying to figure it out:

"Looking To _____ Play?" I dunno... I'll delete this as soon as I find out what it means, it's really bothering me lol.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

"Looking To _____ Play?" I dunno... I'll delete this as soon as I find out what it means, it's really bothering me lol.

Late to the party.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Late to the party.

Thank you sir!

Oh and Suikoden is great! Although I didn't like the latest one on the PS2... IV I think?

urahonky on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I had to say something nice about IV I'd have to say that it can be had for cheaper than any of ther games in the main series.

Tactics is cheaper. I just grabbed a copy for $5 at TRU. ;)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Tactics is cheaper. I just grabbed a copy for $5 at TRU. ;)

Which is why I specified main series. ;)

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

That was definitely pretty annoying. However, with the way the Suikoden levelling system works and the amount of money I had, it only took a couple of hours to have three badass teams.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think my main issue with it, aside from having to take an extra however many hours to level up a bunch of worthless characters to finish a game that I didn't like very much, was that there weren't really any characters I wanted to put in a party. I didn't really like very many of them, you see, and I insist on only using characters that I enjoy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Geez, I haven't seen someone this enthusiastic about a game/series for a long time. Almost brings a tear to my eye *sniff*

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »

Geez, I haven't seen someone this enthusiastic about a game/series for a long time. Almost brings a tear to my eye *sniff*

What's nice about I is that it's fairly easy to get all 108 stars without much help. On the other hand I've been unable to even break 100 in II after 4 playthroughs.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Really? I actually thought II was better about the Stars than I was.
    Other than Clive, anyway. You have exactly one chance to get him, and it's not what I'd call "obvious"

I guess there is a bit more backtracking after events, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ReebdoogReebdoog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Still have my copies of 1 and 2. I play them every few months. I never get tired of them.

Reebdoog on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Completely unlike 5, where it's almost impossible to get everyone without a walkthrough, and easy to fail even with one unless you play the game line by line from it.

"You did what everyone told you to? Without making a detour into an unremarkable building? Ha, say goodbye to the best ending!"

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bremen wrote: »
    Completely unlike 5, where it's almost impossible to get everyone without a walkthrough, and easy to fail even with one unless you play the game line by line from it.

"You did what everyone told you to? Without making a detour into an unremarkable building? Ha, say goodbye to the best ending!"

Fuck

I really hate playing through a game like that with a walkthrough the first time, but I don't have the time to play the game all the way through several times D:

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Anyone who has the spare time to play Suikoden 5 repeatedly could probably use the time to get a second degree.

I do recall someone making a spoiler free guide to missable characters, somewhere.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, I got all 108 now. Getting ready for the last stretch.
    Gremio is not dead! I'm so glad Gremio is not dead!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You know what I hated about the very end of Suikoden I?
    Flik and Viktor forcing their way into my party, the bastards.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited June 2007
    you can get them back by loading the data into III and making horrible casting choices for them in the Battle of Gregminster play. Like Jeane.

Flik: "teeheeeheee"

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It could've been Krin and Gon. Seriously, Krin forcing his way that one time was the biggest D: moment ever.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bremen wrote: »
    you can get them back by loading the data into III and making horrible casting choices for them in the Battle of Gregminster play.
    And they didn't even have the common decency to die after being riddled with arrows.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited June 2007
    YAY VICTORY

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    YAY VICTORY

Grats! Now start up 2 and load that nice new save :)

Bremen on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm really hoping that they get back to the Suikoden 3 timeline soon. Say what you will about it, but except for the changes to the battle system(why do I have to have these two characters together?) I actually was very interested to see how things turn out.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just restarted Suikoden I tonight.

about 3:30 in, and just got the Castle.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that they get back to the Suikoden 3 timeline soon. Say what you will about it, but except for the changes to the battle system(why do I have to have these two characters together?) I actually was very interested to see how things turn out.

Indeed... any news on VI yet? Since V is pretty shortly before I, they would either have to go back again, or finally continue the story.

LockeCole on