Options

Bloomberg leaving the GOP. Warm up to a president run?

nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/mayor-bloomberg-quits-the-gop/

Mayor Mike Bloomberg is announced today that he is leaving the Republican Party. Bloomberg is a lifelong Democrat who ran as a Republican. His announcement cam with strongly worded attacks on the partisanship in Washington and the country in general. Bloomberg has fueled rumors of a possible presidential run with his recent visits to vital primary state New Hampshire as well as reaching out to Govenor Schwarzenegger of California on pollution issues.

This could throw a real wrench in the works of the 2008 election. Chances of him running as a Democrat, especially given his defection and the strength of candidates, would be virtually impossible. As a independent he would likely draw a decent vote from the moderates of both parties.

What do you guys think of this development? Is he really gearing up for a 2008 run despite insistence that he intend to finish his term as mayor? Is he simply positioning himself for a run at another office in 2009? Or is the choice purely idealogical?

nexuscrawler on

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Shinto has already sold me on him, and while I'm not sure of his chances, I'm totally behind him.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Bloomburg is fantastic... but if he does run as an independent, I doubt he could serve as anything but a spoiler for the Democratic party.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bloomberg, ralph nader 2.0?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i really don't know much about bloomberg at all, but i don't know how a feel about a guy who ran as a republican just to gain some votes. kinda shady.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He didn't run as a Republicans to gain votes, he ran as a Republican so he wouldn't have to deal with NY's Democratic establishment.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If he had Democratic ideals, wouldn't the Republicans not nominate him?

I know nothing about his ideals, either. I would assume fiscally conservative?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    He didn't run as a Republicans to gain votes, he ran as a Republican so he wouldn't have to deal with NY's Democratic establishment.

if that's true, then i like him already, because that's hilarious/awesome

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "It's as if we expect border control agents to do what a century of communism could not: defeat the natural market forces of supply and demand and defeat the natural human desire for freedom and opportunity. You might as well sit in your beach chair and tell the tide not to come in."

Why can't more of our politicians sound like that?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone have a primer on him?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "It's as if we expect border control agents to do what a century of communism could not: defeat the natural market forces of supply and demand and defeat the natural human desire for freedom and opportunity. You might as well sit in your beach chair and tell the tide not to come in."

if he ends up running for president, there's a good chance he won't anymore.

i miss trumanesque stuff like that too, though

Pants Man on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    he should see if he could get himself invited to both parties' debates

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Anyone have a primer on him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg

Wikipedia... for when you're too lazy to use Google.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Quick summary

He worked in finance are a trader and adviser for years
    He founded the Bloomberg financial news network
    He is one of the nation's richest men and biggest philanthropists

Politically:

Killed the NY Board of Ed giving more education control to the city government
    Was behind the NYC smoking ban and the transfat ban
    Supports amnesty for illegal immigrants
    Has made a big issue of going after out of state gun retailers who sell guns used in crime in the city
    Managed to keep the city's budget somewhat balanced in the follow-up of 9/11(raised taxes to do so)
    Increased oversight of Wall St trading.

Basically he's a middle of the road politician with a focus on public health and financial moderation. He more or less stays away from idealogical issues. His faults in my book are over-support of residential developers (particularly the fiasco with the stadium and the Olympics bid) and the further raising of astronomical taxes.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I think he'll mainly guarantee a Republican victory come 2008 if he runs.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, if you think about it, this could really hurt Rudy Guiliani.

If Rudy's candidacy colapses, moderate Republicans might be shopping around.

It's the Republicans whose party is somewhat disunited at this point. The Democrats are comparatively content with all their choices.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

There's the trouble of him being a divorced New York Jew who has publically supported gay marriage.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah, shopping around for a Sam Brownback, who will energize the far right, and pull up enough turnout amongst the Christoholics to kick the shit out of the Democrat and Bloomberg.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

There's the trouble of him being a divorced New York Jew who has publically supported gay marriage.

I don't think Jew hating evangelical Christians are really supporting Guiliani in huge numbers at this moment anyway.

I mean, who wins if this undercuts Rudy? McCain, Romney, Thompson? That opens up some room on the center right for Bloomberg to take votes.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yeah, shopping around for a Sam Brownback, who will energize the far right, and pull up enough turnout amongst the Christoholics to kick the shit out of the Democrat and Bloomberg.

Ha ha ha ha.

Just like the Democrats are doomed in 2006 and Democracy Bonds are waste of money right buddy?

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha.

Just like the Democrats are doomed in 2006 and Democracy Bonds are waste of money right buddy?
    Just like Kerry was going to win in 2004, right, Shinto?

I'm seriously holding you responsible for President Brownback, FYI.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    If anything he's more of a Perot. He'll definitely get 10% electorate easy.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    If anything he's more of a Perot. He'll definitely get 10% electorate easy.
    Perot was a spoiler for the Republicans. Bloomberg, like Nader, will be a spoiler for the Democrats.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Best Case scenario: He rejoins the GOP, starts a Reagan like revolution of the republican party based on fiscal responsibility focusing on the spending side, takes New Hampshire, wins the Republican nomination, and creates the first election where no candidate uses lobbyist money, Bloomberg guilting the Democrat into working off of public funds.
    I know it'll never happen, but at least I have my dreams.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't mind the idea of Republicans having 4 more years. Sure, it'll bring us to the edge of destruction, but it will cement the destruction of their party as it is now, they'll have to reform into being less assclowny. (I'm talking about Bloomberg giving the Republicans the Presidency by running and not Bloomberg himself as President)

Hoz on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's the Republicans whose party is somewhat disunited at this point. The Democrats are comparatively content with all their choices.
    Unless Hillary's the pick. If anyone else goes up, they're going to see all the Dems rally around them just so the GOP doesn't retain the White House. If it's Hillary, you're going to see a lot of unhappy Dems take several different reactions:

*Some will suck it up and rally behind Hillary.
    *Some will stay home because, really, fuck the Republicans.
    *Some will go shopping for third options- Bloomberg, the Greens, the Libertarians, whoever.

On the other end, you have the Republicans. They're just plain unhappy. They want Hillary to go up. They NEED her to go up. She's the only opponent who can energize the base to go vote Republican. If Obama or Richardson or Biden or whoever goes up, the Republicans have no popular villain, they hate their field, they stay home in droves and get Mondaled at the polls. If Hillary IS the opponent, though, they'll come out.

But then here's Bloomberg. He may not be a savior either, but he's prominent, he was a Republican until "last year", and he may be a damn sight better than the guy the GOP puts up. There may be a slight schism going.

Basically, Bloomberg may be the guy in the right place at the right time. I don't give him high chances of winning, but he's probably going to pick up enough support to where the big two are going to have to sweat.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The idea that the Republican base will be energized by Hilary Clinton is completely overhyped. I don't think anything like that would happen.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    She has a really high unfavorability rating.

Hoz on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Hoz wrote: »

Ablooablooabloo.

Higher than our sitting Prez?

The entire "Hillary can't win" is a stupid ass meme to begin with. Everyone was saying the same thing when she ran for her Senate seat, and look how that turned out.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Higher than anyone who will be running for next President.

And it's not "Hillary can't win" it's "Bloomberg would fuck over Hillary the most from the Democratic field".

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Higher than anyone who will be running for next President.

Then how the hell is she leading Obama by double digits last time I checked?

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Right, put my comment in context with the discussion in the thread and I think you'll get it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah, but six months ago it was 56% favorable.

These things aren't written in stone.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Right, put my comment in context with the discussion in the thread and I think you'll get it.

If by get it you mean "watching you post tired Republican talking points that have been around since 2000", you'd be right.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    On Hillary:

She has money, fame, and huge recognition for so many reasons. Her favorability rating ought not to even be a debateable issue. The fact that it is tells you a lot.

As for Bloomberg, I like his stance on immigration.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hilary simply has more name recognition and attention right now.

The real question here is who would an independent like Bloomberg hurt more right now? He'd certainly draw most of his support from the middle. Ordinary people who are sick of partisan hackery and just want some shit to get done. Moderates are fleeing the GOP like rats from a sinking ship but I'm sure there's plenty wary of investing themselves in the Dems right now. The big issue is since he's just a mayor he has little to no forgein policy history. 2008 is going to be largely a referendum on Iraq and someone who's said very little about i is an oddity to say the least.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

If by get it you mean "watching you post tired Republican talking points that have been around since 2000", you'd be right.
    No, that's not what I mean. Criticizing your favorite candidate doesn't just have to be a Republican talking point, it could be an actual point you refuse to consider.

Hoz on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not necessarily on topic but this made me think:

He does sound convincing.

Why can't more politicians talk like humans? Speeches with tinges of sarcastic (ok that isn't sarcasm) dickholery seem endearing. Despite it hurting their chances with certain other demographics, I'll be all over the first candidate to drop some F-bombs like it ain't no thang.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hilary simply has more name recognition and attention right now.

The real question here is who would an independent like Bloomberg hurt more right now? He'd certainly draw most of his support from the middle. Ordinary people who are sick of partisan hackery and just want some shit to get done. Moderates are fleeing the GOP like rats from a sinking ship but I'm sure there's plenty wary of investing themselves in the Dems right now. The big issue is since he's just a mayor he has little to no forgein policy history. 2008 is going to be largely a referendum on Iraq and someone who's said very little about i is an oddity to say the least.

The problem is, almost all of his policy stances skew pretty exclusively to the left. I mean, the only way he could even get away with calling himself a republican was because he was running in New York, where you have to skew left.

That being said, most of his support is going to come from the left, I really don't seem him being able to spin the centrist crap on the national level... at least not enough to draw anyone in from the right.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I was just knocking around ideas earlier. He would hurt the democrats more.

But I like him.

So I'm emotionally torn.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I was just knocking around ideas earlier. He would hurt the democrats more.

But I like him.

So I'm emotionally torn.

I'm with you... I wish he were a viable candidate, I think he's great.

Unfortunately, I still think viable third-parties will only come about through a governmental revamping of the electoral process... which I doubt many democrats or republicans would be down for.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: