Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Fraternity/Sorority Secrets (Is everything really on the Internet?)

2»

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hjp4 wrote: »
    What the fuck is that girl crying about

alcohol

edit: Also you might be able to find generic stuff on the internet about initiations and the like, but the stuff that sets each individual house apart from the rest isn't going to be out there unless there's one or a few really angry people. I remember I attended a ceremony for a different chapter of my fraternity that was wildly different from one we would hold, almost to the point that I didn't recognize it at all.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One of the rituals that I have listened about was where people were blindfolded and had to snake around the room holding onto the shoulders of the person in front of them, I don't remember what happens if you screw that up.

Also they have their own Alma Mater and stuff like that. I guess it's the same like having a boy's club or girl's.

OT:
    It's hard for me to understand fraternities. As far as I can tell, you can use them as a social network to make friends easily and get possible discounts on whatever they can provide(I guess).

I guess I don't understand the 'sacred' part of Fraternities where you're meant to keep(overall) meaningless secrets. It sounds like a niche that some people would like to fulfill, where you think you're part of a super cool league of extraordinary gentlemen, which I don't mean to sound insulting or rude.

I also don't know the overall history of fraternities or why they were born this way. I'm sure it has something to do with Greek culture. Figuring out secret hand signals and gestures for parties like the KKK and Black Panthers seems a lot less laughable, since they're meant to do illegal things in most cases and it feels more appropriate to keep those things under wraps.

EDIT: One of my college professors did research on the Stone Masons, and he said most people love giving their secret shit out if they think it'll get them some fame. If you decided to do research on your own to find out about Fraternity rituals and guaranteed some anonymity to your guest you can probably get the juicier stuff from them.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    O
    OT:
    It's hard for me to understand fraternities. As far as I can tell, you can use them as a social network to make friends easily and get possible discounts on whatever they can provide(I guess).

I guess I don't understand the 'sacred' part of Fraternities where you're meant to keep(overall) meaningless secrets. It sounds like a niche that some people would like to fulfill, where you think you're part of a super cool league of extraordinary gentlemen, which I don't mean to sound insulting or rude.

It was fun mostly. I got to meet people that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, and do stuff that I might have avoided or looked down on. Like anything else, you pretty much get out of it what you put in, and I was lucky enough to be with a group that put a lot of effort into social and philanthropic activities (they snagged me though a charity event).

The 'sacred' bits are just like any group's relatively unimportant stuff, things are passed down just 'cause. Some of it is helpful or inspiring and a lot of it is silly or dumb, but it is a part of the experience and meant to be experienced I guess.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Captain East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    One of the rituals that I have listened about was where people were blindfolded and had to snake around the room holding onto the shoulders of the person in front of them, I don't remember what happens if you screw that up.

Also they have their own Alma Mater and stuff like that. I guess it's the same like having a boy's club or girl's.

OT:

I also don't know the overall history of fraternities or why they were born this way. I'm sure it has something to do with Greek culture. Figuring out secret hand signals and gestures for parties like the KKK and Black Panthers seems a lot less laughable, since they're meant to do illegal things in most cases and it feels more appropriate to keep those things under wraps.

EDIT: One of my college professors did research on the Stone Masons, and he said most people love giving their secret shit out if they think it'll get them some fame. If you decided to do research on your own to find out about Fraternity rituals and guaranteed some anonymity to your guest you can probably get the juicier stuff from them.

Modern Greek fraternity/sorority systems were born out of the need for a place for students (and professors!) to both be social AND learn. They have next to nothing to do with actual Greek (as in from Greece) culture. More latin, actually.

Thats the super short version.

• VladimerVladimer Likes Football Too MuchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The secrets aren't "useless" to the members of the respective fraternities/sororities. It's really just something you can't explain to someone who hasn't been through the experience (not in the "ooooh we have a secret" sense, but in what it means to the members).

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vladimer wrote: »
    The secrets aren't "useless" to the members of the respective fraternities/sororities. It's really just something you can't explain to someone who hasn't been through the experience (not in the "ooooh we have a secret" sense, but in what it means to the members).

This.

The actual secrets themselves don't really matter much. But it's one more thing that binds us together as a brotherhood instead of just a few people that happen to live with each other. It's hard for someone who isn't part of a fraternity/sorority to really understand why it's important to us, since it's sort of its own unique experience.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's bonding, it's a way of making it exclusive. It adds value for you as a member if you know something very few other people do, even if it's ultimately meaningless knowledge. If the traditions extend long enough, it provides a way to connect with older alumni.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • stepscloserstepscloser Registered User new member
    Phi Sigma Sigma secrets are:

Phi Sigma Sigma (PSS) secretly stands for Philanthropic Social Society. However, this is never written down or recorded (until now) because it is so "sacred". The Handshake consists of a series of motions. Member A first begins with the pointer finger and the thumb surrounding Member B's pointer finger and thumb. This is the "Phi". Then Member A wraps the remaining fingers, middle, ring and pinky around the hand as a symbol of the "Sigma". Depending on who is the senior member, the pinky finger is wrapped around the older member's hand. Next is the hand knock. It goes Knock. Pause. Knock. Pause. Knock, knock, knock. The meetings are set up usually with the President, VP and other officers sitting at the front. The President wears a yellow or gold robe and the officers wear royal blue robes. The remaining members sit across from the officers in a pyramid formation with the base closest to the officers and the apex farthest from the officers. Members are seated by class order, then by alphabetical order. The table at which the President and Vice President are seated consists of candles on each side. Two gold candles and one blue at each corner of the table. Members usually recite an oath, "We, the members of Phi Sigma Sigma, promise to keep secret and sacred all of our proceedings." The way to enter the pyramid is by using the hand knock to notify the members you are wanting to enter the room. The President will respond back with her gavel by repeating the knock. The person will enter then travel to the apex of the pyramid formation. The President will say the secret and sacred words "Remove the Veil" and then the member will respond back with the Chapter's name, example, "Zeta Eta." The Gold and King Blue symbolize "Perpetuity" and "Sincerity". At initiation, blue "veils" (tulle from the local fabric store) are placed on the heads of the potential new members and are later removed to symbolize some sort of occult transformation and that they are full-fledged members.

Thirty-3WeX MajorsZilla360B_RElement BrianOneAngryPossumGrathRhahEricsKoopahTroopahDoctorArchDjiemRisenPhoenixFatSoDasymbolsorDhalphirSCREECH OF THE FARGStranger DangerCrippl3Dark Raven XSmrtnikvegeta_666KageraComedy Refluxhistronicoverride367Stormwatcher_J_alternatingAberrationmato-andrewMyiagrosDirtmuncherTofystedethpyromoshfightinfilipinoObiFettErich ZahnCathode Ray TubeMcMastaAssuranStabbity StyleLucentapricotmuffinsredfenixBertezBertezAcharenusPunchy McFistNiryaReynoldsAnzekayGreenishreVerseBelruelsaint2eNitsuaT. J. Nutty Nub ShocknaKiTA
2»
This discussion has been closed.