Options

MLP: FiM: Transmuting Fanon Into Canon Since 2010

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Nerivant wrote:
    I have lost all desire to watch ponies.

Don't let Dear Leader's death get you down that much.

Edit - durr typo

Henroid on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Nerivant wrote:

Kay...?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NerivantNerivant Director Third EchelonRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Nerivant wrote:

Kay...?

Right, my bad. I let my fingers get away from me and type what I was thinking without considering how it would be relevant to anything.

It's easier if you completely ignore everything I post.

[REDACTED]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so what happened, Nerivant?

friendship suddenly seem less magical to you for some reason?

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    the_usual_suspects_by_ladym-d4jibry.jpg

Unicorns are sno~obs!

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I went ahead and translated the last two days of 2ch Pony discussion from Japanese to English for you all.
    (I'm up waaay too late tonight doing this!)

Some of the translation is a little rough, but serviceable. It's the best I can do @ 2:00 in the morning.

[Note: He is talking about Pinkie popping out of Rarity's hat]
    あいかわらずピンキーは謎生物、というかアップルーザ回の列車と今回のファンシー列車の違いは一体…
    More than ever, Pinkie is some kind of biological enigma. Speaking of which, What's up with the Appaloosa train and the fancy train that they have now?

劇の幕開け前、怖じけて隠れるフラタシャイをトワイライトが引っ張るシーンで
    ピンキーが手助けに入りトワイライトの頭を引っ張るんだけど
    トワイライト叫びすぎじゃね? 痛みに悲鳴を上げてる様に見えた。
    Before the start of play, there was that scene where twilight was trying to pull Fluttershy out of the box she was hiding in.
    Pinkie looked like she was trying to help and was pulling on Twilights head.
    Was Twilight Howling? It looked like she was yelling in pain!

エクストリアの移住前の階層って
    ペガサス≧ユニコーン>アースポニーって感じだったのか
    So, before the immigration to Equestria, the hierarchy was something like...
    Pegasus >= Unicorn > Earth Pony

ポニービル~キャンタロットはたぶん近郊路線
    埼京線みたいなもん
    アップルーザのほうに行くやつは長距離寝台特急
    カシオペアとか北斗星みたいなもんでしょう。
    About the trains, maybe that's a Ponyville~Canterlot local line, like the Saikyo line.
    The Appaloosa one seems to be a long-distance line with sleeping births
    Kind of like the Cassiopea or Hokutosei Lines.

キャンタロット郊外なのに田舎扱いを受けるポニービル・・・
    Between the suburban Canterlot and the rural Ponyville...

アップルーザ:近郊とは言えないまでもそこそこ軽井沢くらいな新興の観光地?
    ポニービル:群馬
    ってイメージかな?
    ポニービルの近くにはエバーフリーフォレストあるしエクエストリアの果てで魔境ってイメージもあるのかも
    Apploosa: A far off emerging tourist destination like Karuizawa
    Ponyville: Gunma Prefecture?
    [ed note: this is joke, the prefecture name, "Gunma" uses the characrers "group" and "horse"]
    Ponyville is near the Everfree Forest. You think the image they are trying to portray is that's the edge of Equestria?

これアメリカのアニメだぞ
    It's an American Cartoon...

ゼコラさんがいるってことは、サラブレッドとか他の馬も存在する世界なんだよな
    大型体型が王族特有のものでないってことは、ピンクのエロい子で証明されたし
    Zecora's there. In this world there are other things than just thoroughbred horses.
    Don't you think that there may be a bigger story [by the writers] to all this. It was already proven by the Erotic Pink horse.
    [Ed. note again: The Japanese fans have a hard time pinning down the age bracket MLP is supposed to be targeting. Non-human cartoons are made only for pre-school children in Japan. Having characters like Fluer pop up (a sexy model hanging off a well-to-do gentleman) isn't exactly something you would put into a pre-schooler's show. This, plus the American fanbase gives them the impression it might be made for older teens.]

歴史ある田舎町、ド田舎まで行かない感じで。
    川越、小田原、八王子…
    It will be like a historic town, out in the sticks, like Kawagoe, Odawara, or Hachioji.

そういえばメーンハッタンだったかAJのオレンジおじさんの所も結構な都会だったな。キャンタロットが歴史ある都会でメーンハッタンが新しい都会
    空の上のクラウズディールもそれなりに都会っぽい
    そういえばエバーフリーフォレストの古城にエレメンツオブハーモニーがあったんだからあそこは旧首都なのか?

しかしそんなキャンタ、メーン、ポニービルから肉眼で観測出来て衝撃派の到達したソニックレインブームってどんだけすごいんだw
    Speaking of which, they also have cities. Like when AJ went to visit Uncle Orange. Cantorlot might be a historic city while Manehatten is a new city. You also have Cloudsdale up on the sky. On that subject, There is also the old castle in the Everfree Forest where they got the Elements of Harmony. Wan't that the old capital?

But as such, with Canterlot, Manehatten, and Ponyville, they all have to be somewhere where you see the Sonic Rainboom with the naked eye. (lol)

津波みたいなもんだな だw
    It looked like a tsunami. lol

メーンハッタンの元は当然マンハッタン
    フィリデルフィアの元はニューヨークの南西にあるフィラデルフィア
    この付近にある山はアパラチア山脈なのでエクエストリアはこの近郊。
    この付近のアパラチア山脈で大規模な森林地帯はデラウェア近郊なのでポニービルはこの付近。
    だから大体元になってるエクエストリア近郊地域はペンシルヴァニア州。
    汽車で向かう砂漠地帯は1860年頃の西部開拓時代が元なのでネブラスカやカンザスといったアメリカ中西部。

アメリカのアニメは特に説明が無い限りアメリカ東海岸が基準なので
    大体これで辻褄が合うというのが海外での主流の考え。

もちろん名前から適当に当てはめられただけなので実際こうではないし
    公式も現実世界に当てはめるつもりは無いはず

日本とアメリカの都市感覚は全く違うから日本の都市に当てはめるのは無理
    Manehatten is really supposed to be "Manhattan"
    Phillyelphia is actually real city southwest of New York called "Philadelphia"
    The mountain range close to Equestria is actually the "Appalachians"
    The large forests around the Appalachians is close to Deleware. This area is Ponyville.
    This places Equestria within the state of Pennsylvania.
    The train was heading towards the desert areas going though Midwest such as Kansas and Nebraska. This was set in the 1860s, or the "Wild West" era.

This is an American Animation and make implicit references to the east coast. It's so it can make sense to the mainstream there.

Keep in mind they aren't officially implying these names to real locations on the show. You shouldn't try and fit these into the real world.

You can't compare the looks and ascetics of Japanese and American Cities. It's impossible.

[Ed note: OMFG he just pinned Equestria to Pennsylvania! He's using the Pokemon/kanto theory :)]

いくら都市感覚が違ってようと
    別に想像するだけならええんちゃう
    We can just imagine that some cities just have a different feel.

最新話の劇、最後の旗になんでセレスティアとルナが描いてあるんだろ、まだ出てきてないのに
    ディスコード出現→3種族仲違い→姉妹がハーモニーでディスコード退治→3種族仲良しに→エクストリア建国
    だと思ってたけどなんか全然違うな
    In the last part of the Play's story, they rose a flag with Celestia and Luna on it, but they didn't mention them.

Discord's appearance -> 3 Tribes broke up -> The sisters use harmony to imprison Discord -> 3 tribes become friends -> Equestria is founded

...something like that, but it might be completely different.

そのへんはまた語られるんじゃないかなぁ。
    S2の最終話とか、S3の最初とか。
    That is a weird way of telling the story
    They may elaborate at the end of season 2 and the start of season 3.

ディスコードって元々存在していたってよりも
    伝説の生物として造られた石像に
    争いの念が吹きこまれて現れたって感じがするんだけど
    So Discord existed then,
    I get the feeling that there was some competition and he not some legendary creature that was turned to stone

とにかく翻訳待ちだな
    I'll just wait for a translation

halkun on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    WBxRS.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I finally acquire some ponies, namely Rarity and Fluttershy. Their manes are all wonky and messed up, though. How do people make their ponies look so awesome?

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My wife uses cheap ass conditioner (like a $1 a bottle stuff) to get their hair smoothed out, but I don't know anything about styling them after that.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    My guess involves hairspray and scissors.

Possibly small curlers

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If you look around, there are ways.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I thought it was kind of weird how excited they were to be going to Canterlot as though they hadn't each been there at least twice already. I get that it is an awesome place, but it still seemed a little overboard. I wonder how the episodes would be sorted chronologically if you use character knowledge and reactions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I little conditioner will tame down their manes. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just use Suave.

Halkun, I feel more cross-cultural just reading that.
    The large forests around the Appalachians is close to Deleware. This area is Ponyville.

^ This. This is the part that killed me. Equestria is in Pennsylvania, your arguments are invalid.

• Options
    NjFpN.jpg

• Options
    So, we know that the three pony tribes at first lived separately, as evidenced by Ponyville being founded only by earth ponies. The pegasi presumably lived in Cloudsdale early on. But what was life like for the unicorns?

I would like to suggest it was EXACTLY LIKE THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLUanjbwW_I

The pegasi and earth ponies would visit and be like, "Uhhhhhh . . ." and the unicorns would be dancing around while their leaders made political promises about rainbows. (Pegasi: "But . . . WE make the weather.")

Sidenote, the pink pony is G3 Rarity, who was voiced by one of the current G4 voice actors--I can't recall which offhand and am too lazy to look it up.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Listening to the voice (middle of the clip, I guess?), I'd say that sounds like spike' voice actress.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sma35.jpg

Tabitha St. Germain - Rarity, Luna, Granny Smith, Mrs. Cake
    Maryke Hendrikse - Gilda
    Chantal Strand - Diamond Tiara
    Andrea Libman - Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy
    Brian Drummond - Dr. Whooves
    Cathy Weseluck - Spike, Mayor

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I like the translated conversations, thanks. Funny to see them arguing about timelines and crap like that too.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So, thanks to that Ponies What Are British video, I was inspired.

You lucky people.

Spaced Ponies

This did not get the recognition it deserves. :^:

Now for, "This is my friend Twist, she works in Fashion"

Rarity will be Twist. I just need to find some good Twist scenes to mashup for future videos.

Still can't figure out whether to cast Applejack or Rainbow Dash as Mike, though.

Pinkie is Tyres, of course. That's a given.

Naturally.

If you are going for Paintball, I think there's a few clips of Rainbow with appropriate camo paint, which would work. That's just what is my go-to Mike image is, the Paintball suit-up sequence.

Pinkie is an excellent Tyres :)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Erotic Pink horse?

it begins

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    LadyM wrote:
    I little conditioner will tame down their manes. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just use Suave.

Halkun, I feel more cross-cultural just reading that.

^ This. This is the part that killed me. Equestria is in Pennsylvania, your arguments are invalid.

And Pinkie's Amish parents. It all fits!

• Options
    Eh, I always figured equestria was the Pony USA, if not north america.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Thanks for translating those comments, halkun.

It's like staring into a goddamn mirror.

• Options
    Wasn't Venus Terzo the voice of Blackarachnia? "Poniiiiiies, TERRORIZE!"

This reminds me of a little anecdote I saw after San Diego Comic Con several years ago. It was during the height of G3, soon after they started releasing unicorn ponies.
    I overheard two girls playing with My Little Pony's in an unexpected way:

Since everything old is new again -- and 80s stuff is pretty hot right now. I thought I'd share this.

I overhead two girls playing with a wealth of My Little Ponies, and the residents of "Unicornia" were evidently (in the girls' created world) at odds with the residents of "Ponyville." More specifically, the unicorn MLP's were in the midst of a raid on Ponyville.

A raid that was (apparently) not going well. That is, until the unicorns had had enough, and one of the girls belted out:

"Unicorns! Transform!"

This is how little girls actually play with their toys. I feel the need to stress this lest some guys think that little girls only sit around in dresses playing "tea party" or something.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Arteen wrote:

Wow, haven't heard that song since high school.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LadyM wrote:

This reminds me of a little anecdote I saw after San Diego Comic Con several years ago. It was during the height of G3, soon after they started releasing unicorn ponies.

Since everything old is new again -- and 80s stuff is pretty hot right now. I thought I'd share this.

I overhead two girls playing with a wealth of My Little Ponies, and the residents of "Unicornia" were evidently (in the girls' created world) at odds with the residents of "Ponyville." More specifically, the unicorn MLP's were in the midst of a raid on Ponyville.

A raid that was (apparently) not going well. That is, until the unicorns had had enough, and one of the girls belted out:

"Unicorns! Transform!"

This is how little girls actually play with their toys. I feel the need to stress this lest some guys think that little girls only sit around in dresses playing "tea party" or something.

That is delightful.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    xRfng.jpg

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    twilight_sparkle_my_little_pony_fim_sculpture_by_blackout_comix-d4jj1wo.jpg

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Oh, very nice

• Options
    Is that clay? It looks like clay.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AtlurAtlur ColoradoRegistered User regular
    LadyM wrote:

"Unicorns! Transform!"

That is awesome. And it's funny, because just last night I drew this from a conversation I was having with someone:
    daASm.png

• Options
    So would the voice actor be Horson Wells?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Sma35.jpg

Tabitha St. Germain - Rarity, Luna, Granny Smith, Mrs. Cake
    Maryke Hendrikse - Gilda
    Chantal Strand - Diamond Tiara
    Andrea Libman - Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy
    Brian Drummond - Dr. Whooves
    Cathy Weseluck - Spike, Mayor

I found another one of these, posted a few pages back, or maybe even in the last thread, can't remember. It's neat to see how long the some of the voice actors have been around.

• Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    Hm, seeing those credits makes me re-think my poo-poos of previous MLP generations.

"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Excellent voice actors does not preclude horrible writing for preschoolers.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    52a8661c199c9acfc87a95075bef6efc2019079228.png
    050c11f3e946a57ed60a6f8f7725e1f926626050.png

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    PUMlA.jpg

My pony pins finally showed up! Bit disappointed in the RBD CM pin, but only because it's not up to the standard of the the rest. Really high quality.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I have my RBD pin....somewhere. I totally forgot about it. This is going to drive me nuts.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Has ponythread talked about this toy yet?

op02o9.jpg

Why the hell did they pick rainbow dash for that? There was also a rarity, but at least that one made some kind of sense.

This discussion has been closed.