As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• TechnoTmanTechnoTman Registered User new member
    Is there a shuttle schedule, map, or list of stops? Specifically I wanted to see if "DoubleTree by Hilton Boston Downtown" has a shuttle come by, since it isn't listed as available on the Hotels page it therefore no longer says whether or not it has shuttle access. I thought it might be helpful to have info for all shuttles if that is available.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    TechnoTman wrote:
    Is there a shuttle schedule, map, or list of stops? Specifically I wanted to see if "DoubleTree by Hilton Boston Downtown" has a shuttle come by, since it isn't listed as available on the Hotels page it therefore no longer says whether or not it has shuttle access. I thought it might be helpful to have info for all shuttles if that is available.

The shuttle details were given very close to PAX last year. The DoubleTree is listed as having shuttle service.

At East 2011, the shuttle service was thus:
    Friday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm, midnight-230am
    Saturday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm, midnight-230am
    Sunday: 8am-11am, 5pm-8pm

I don't believe there was ever a map.

• NiremNirem Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Double Post somehow

Nirem on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Nirem wrote:
    Greeting from The Pas, Manitoba, Canada! (Northern canada)

My name is chris and after following PA since highschool I've always wanted to attend PAX but never had the time/funds/transportation/company to ever plan a trip.

Well this year is different (assuming I can get my pass when they go on sale). Me and 3-4 friends will be attending this year!

I do have some questions for the people who live in the area or have attended in the previous years and I truly do apologize if some of the questions have been asked before or have been layed out right in front of me yet I've somehow managed to miss.

Here it goes!

1. Is PAX Prime in Seattle? (Has it always been?) (if not, where is it?)
    2. When is PAX Prime? (Do the dates change every year? If so can you give me an estimate?)
    3. How much is the basic pass? What are the other passes? (if any)
    4. When should I start looking to book a hotel room?
    5. What kind of events should I look forward to at PAX that won't require me to bring my own PC?
    6. What else is there to do in seattle? (Will be there for 8 days) (museums, metal/rock concerts/ tourist attractions / restaurants / malls)
    7. How long does PAX last?
    8. What else should I know?

Please see this thread

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/154635/prime-prime-2012-prime-questions-and-general-discussion-until-east-is-over#Item_12

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • NiremNirem Registered User regular
    Thank you. :)

• duckerducker MARegistered User regular
    Hi,
    I went last year for just a couple of hours. This year I'm planning on attending all day Friday. Do you know if the 2011 schedule is still available to look at; you kind of get an idea of how early/late stuff will run?

Or even on the side - just how late will actual PAX east stuff go on Day 1. Doesn't the main floor close at 6 or 8? (6 seems really early.) Thanks!

• mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I believe the expo hall closed around 6 or so last year. But there were events running until around 2am or so.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    SmallLady wrote:
    What are the hours of PAX?
    EVENT HOURS
    Friday, April 6th 2012 - 10am to 2am
    Saturday, April 7th 2012 - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, April 8th 2012 - 10am to 7pm
    EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, April 6th 2012 - 10am to 6pm
    Saturday, April 7th 2012 - 10am to 6pm
    Sunday, April 8th 2012 - 10am to 6pm

You might think 6 is early for the exhibit hall to close, but keep in mind that companies usually only have 1 set of staff to man their booths all day, and on Friday/Sunday there's also setup/teardown they're involved in, so they're putting in some pretty damn long hours. Plus there's Enforcers that have to work the hall as well, and those are a finite resource (at least until Khoo gets that cloning lab off the ground). Otherwise, everything else runs until doors close. Panels run all day, concerts at night, tournaments and freeplay areas abound.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    Fyi

@Official_PAX: Panel submissions for PAX East 2012 close in a week! The submission form is located at http://www.panels.paxsite.com (2 minutes ago from web)

• duckerducker MARegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote:
    You might think 6 is early for the exhibit hall to close, but keep in mind that companies usually only have 1 set of staff to man their booths all day, and on Friday/Sunday there's also setup/teardown they're involved in, so they're putting in some pretty damn long hours. Plus there's Enforcers that have to work the hall as well, and those are a finite resource (at least until Khoo gets that cloning lab off the ground). Otherwise, everything else runs until doors close. Panels run all day, concerts at night, tournaments and freeplay areas abound.

Are there concerts Friday night too? Or just Saturday? Any tournaments that are self contained in a single night? Again, perhaps more info will become available once we get closer to the date. Just stoked about going for the full day on Friday -

So true on the cloning lab. My work clone would feel a bit shafted though - always having to go to work while I get to have fun :)

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Last two years there have been concerts both Friday night and Saturday night.

Ducker, there indeed will be concerts for both Friday and Saturday night!

And check out the tournaments in your areas of interest, I'm sure there will be some contained to just that day. :)

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am pretty sure all tournaments at PAX are confined to a single day with different tournaments each day.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    I am pretty sure all tournaments at PAX are confined to a single day with different tournaments each day.
    At Prime 2011, Tabletop had at least one tournament that ran over all three days. I don't think PC or Console had any like that though. Multi-day tournaments are the exception, not the usual state of things.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • LunamadnessLunamadness Miss Liz TNRegistered User new member
    This will be my first time at PAX, and I am wondering...What is one thing a first timer should absolutely NOT miss? Thanks! ^_^

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    this thread is chock full of first-timer advice, but as far as must-see events at pax, it really depends on you. there is SO MUCH to see and do for all kinds of gamers, it just depends what you're into. some people love the expo hall, others live in freeplay areas, while still others swear by the concerts. there is no 'best thing' at pax, because every thing is the best thing to someone.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    this thread is chock full of first-timer advice, but as far as must-see events at pax, it really depends on you. there is SO MUCH to see and do for all kinds of gamers, it just depends what you're into. some people love the expo hall, others live in freeplay areas, while still others swear by the concerts. there is no 'best thing' at pax, because every thing is the best thing to someone.

Yes, it definitely depends on your interests and passions.
    I'd say, though, it'd be beneficial to catch at least one of the PA-related panels or events - the opening ceremonies/keynote, the Q&A panels with Gabe & Tycho, the Draw-a-Strip, or the Omegathon (am I missing any?). Anything where G&T get up on stage. They're always fantastic.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    edited January 2012
    This will be my first time at PAX, and I am wondering...What is one thing a first timer should absolutely NOT miss? Thanks! ^_^

tvethiopia is spot on that it depends on your tastes. I'd recommend browsing through the program when you get it so that you can be sure to hit the panels that interest you.

My personal abbreviated list would be:
    • Keynote & Initial Q&A
    • Classic arcade room
    • The Make-A-Strip panel
    • Saturday night concert

But there's so, so much more I look forward to than just that.

wonderpug on
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    tvethiopia is spot on that it depends on your tastes. I'd recommend browsing through the program when you get it so that you can be sure to hit the panels that interest you.

• Keynote & Initial Q&A
    • Classic arcade room
    • At least one Make-A-Strip panel
    • Saturday night concert

Ok newb question. What is the classic arcade room and the Make-A-Strip panel?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    wonderpug wrote:

• Keynote & Initial Q&A
    • Classic arcade room
    • Saturday night concert

Make a strip panel you get to watch Gabe and Tycho make a strip live on stage. It's pretty amsusing.

The Classic Arcade room hosts a variety of old arcade machines brought to us by the ACAM http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/

*note: I have no idea if they are going to be at east this year

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    Make a strip panel you get to watch Gabe and Tycho make a strip live on stage. It's pretty amsusing.

The Classic Arcade room hosts a variety of old arcade machines brought to us by the ACAM http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/

OMG classic arcade games?! Sign me up. *crossing fingers*

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    There is also a classic console room as well!

I loved how they even had an old era-appropriate wood-paneled TV for people to play Duck Hunt on.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    wonderpug wrote:

• Keynote & Initial Q&A
    • Classic arcade room
    • Saturday night concert

i believe when ACAM hosted a pax event a few months ago they mentioned that they would, in fact, be at pax east '12

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • IdiotWithGunsIdiotWithGuns Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hi guys and girl!

New year same thing. Last year we never got any reply on our registration and this year as well. I ve been e mailing [email protected] but no replies.
    Is there an e mail address or a phone number that would help me double check that my company is all set to go?

Thanks in Advance.

PS.We looking for more staff :) Check out the link for more info.
    [link removed]

Moe Fwacky on
    edited January 2012
    Hi guys and girl!

New year same thing. Last year we never got any reply on our registration and this year as well. I ve been e mailing [email protected] but no replies.
    Is there an e mail address or a phone number that would help me double check that my company is all set to go?

Thanks in Advance.

PS.We looking for more staff :) Check out the link for more info.
    [link removed]

after you apply, pax_media will get back to you if you are accepted. If you don't hear back, it may be because you were not accepted for a media badge this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    Hi guys and girl!

Thanks in Advance.

Pretty sure pax_media is all there is. You could try pax_questions.

Is there an e mail that will go out letting us know of this? You wouldn't have a phone number for support, would you?
    Thank you

zerzhul wrote:
    Hi guys and girl!

Thanks in Advance.

Pretty sure pax_media is all there is. You could try pax_questions.

Thanks

This forum is for the pax attendee community, and isn't a support forum. Almost all of us are just regular guys and gals who have the same information that's available publicly.

You could also try tweeting http://twitter.com/official_pax

Try to keep in mind that there are a *lot* of emails sent to the public email addresses, so there's a lot to sift through.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Is there an e mail that will go out letting us know of this? You wouldn't have a phone number for support, would you?
    Thank you
    I'm pretty sure they only email if accepted for a Media badge.

In general, internet-based companies don't give out phone numbers because they can't give answers over the phone and do not have the staff to operate a phone bank. This is also true for PAX due to it being an internet-based organization.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    Anyone know what the food situation is like at PAX East i am curious if they have something like a few food vendors at the convention centre or if there are any pub's close by?

avsfan590 wrote:
    Anyone know what the food situation is like at PAX East i am curious if they have something like a few food vendors at the convention centre or if there are any pub's close by?

There is a whole thread on food at east on the first page

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    avsfan590 wrote:
    Last year, there was food service on site. Lots of it was of mediocre quality and high price. There were a few specialty food places in the convention center that were of higher quality. That being said, there are a fair number of good options in walking distance - but keep in mind, there are going to be tens of thousands of people trying to do the same thing, so the waits may be a bit long . . .

Edit: zerzhul is right - check this thread.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    Khadour wrote:
    avsfan590 wrote:
    Last year, there was food service on site. Lots of it was of mediocre quality and high price. There were a few specialty food places in the convention center that were of higher quality. That being said, there are a fair number of good options in walking distance - but keep in mind, there are going to be tens of thousands of people trying to do the same thing, so the waits may be a bit long . . .

Edit: zerzhul is right - check this thread.

Thanks a ton for the thread. from what i am hearing i guess the food court should be a last resort.

• thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    does anyone know if they are going to offer those weekend parking passes at the BCEC again? I didnt find out about this until the last day last year! I coulda left my car there all weekend with that pass rather then park in a shady alley near my hotel in boston... I would much rather be able to leave my car at te BCEC all weekend with that pass!

thr4sher wrote:
    does anyone know if they are going to offer those weekend parking passes at the BCEC again? I didnt find out about this until the last day last year! I coulda left my car there all weekend with that pass rather then park in a shady alley near my hotel in boston... I would much rather be able to leave my car at te BCEC all weekend with that pass!

That's been asked here before. I think as of yet, there has been no definitive answer one way or the other. The safe way to be is that "no, they won't" unless you call the BCEC and get different info directly from them.

• GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So I am probably going to get to go as media again this year, but i am debating on if i am gping to get a hotel room, or just commute. I only live like 30-45 min away from boston so the drive isnt a big deal, but this year its just me and 1 friend going, last year we had 4, so getting a hotel room will prove to be a bit more pricey than we'd like. So did anyone else drive their car to the BCEC last year and if so how much was parking?

Also isnt there a hotel connected almost directly to the BCEC? if so, whats its name? I was looking for hotels but the nearest one says 1 mile on pax's site so that cant be right since I thought last year there was one like 100 yards from the BCEC. I forget where we stayed last year but we had to take a bus back and forth each day and it was more annoying than anything. SO I am just looking to see if commuting, parking, and doing that all 3 days so i can sleep in my own bed here in Rhode Island each night would be more beneficial to my wallet.

GrimmTrixX - Glitchytasty.com

GrimmTrixX on
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I don't remember paying to park last year, I just drove behind the BCEC and parked and stayed till like 3am

• GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    lol well online some said $12 a day and other said $10 a day, i was just hoping for a sure idea on it. cuz if thats the case im willing to waste 90 min driving there and back to have my car within walking distance so i can stash food and other such goodies in there. cuz the PAX east food last year was awful and pricey.