As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for music for narrator + orchestra

MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm a fan of copland's lincoln portrait and of course the reivers, and I have no idea where to look to find more things like them. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a name for this speak+ensemble sort of arranging, and just looking by composer isn't going to get me very far. Any suggestions? I'm not too picky on the subject matter or voicing or size or century or anything, just want to explore this kind of music more and find out what I like.

thanks, dudettes.

Steam: Cilantr0
3DS: 0447-9966-6178
Molybdenum on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's at least one or two of Old Turtle done for narrator + orchestra and choir.

Also, it's less narrator + orchestra than narrator with guitar, but if you haven't heard Alice's Restaurant you may like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    You are looking for The Soldier's Tale by Igor Stravinsky. It was originally in French but there are good English versions out there and because the dialogue is spoken, there aren't the same ridiculous issues that happen when you translate song lyrics (not fitting right/sounding absolutely silly). There's an animation by R.O. Blechman that you can find at www.roblechman.com or you could try to find something half decent on youtube. I don't think I've seen a full version there but you could at least find out if you like it before paying for it. As far as I know, that animation isn't available anywhere for free but it's worth paying for if you like it.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Strange- Stravinsky is one of my favorites, and I definitely have Soldier's Tale in my library, but there's no narration in the version I have.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    Weird, I've only heard it with. The narration is really good. In fact in a lot of ways it really makes the piece. The rhythm studies class at my college has to be able to conduct the opening which is why it's been on my mind a lot lately.