As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Quick question about GW1 and the HoM: If I start off just getting Nightfall and trying that, and then I decide to buy HoM, do I potentially lose out on any achievements I would have obtained while playing Nightfall but having access to the HoM? Or once I got HoM would I just be able to quickly fill up the achievements based on what I had already obtained?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I... -think- once you link the Eye of the North(It's not called HoM xP) to your account, it should recognize what you do have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    am0n wrote: »
    Quick question about GW1 and the HoM: If I start off just getting Nightfall and trying that, and then I decide to buy HoM, do I potentially lose out on any achievements I would have obtained while playing Nightfall but having access to the HoM? Or once I got HoM would I just be able to quickly fill up the achievements based on what I had already obtained?

You manually add things to the HoM, they don't go there automatically. So it's empty until you actually go to it and 'dedicate' things like titles you've earned, minis, etc. So you could have 36 points worth of titles/items/pets/heroes and 3/50 HoM (3 for linking account) until you actually go there and dedicate everything.

As long as you buy EotN with your existing account then you can start adding stuff to the HoM without problem.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    steejee wrote: »

You manually add things to the HoM, they don't go there automatically. So it's empty until you actually go to it and 'dedicate' things like titles you've earned, minis, etc. So you could have 36 points worth of titles/items/pets/heroes and 3/50 HoM (3 for linking account) until you actually go there and dedicate everything.

As long as you buy EotN with your existing account then you can start adding stuff to the HoM without problem.

Thanks. The entire trilogy (not including EotN) is only $29.99, so I was figuring I'd give it a shot (given I have no desire to log into SW:TOR). Was hoping that if I enjoyed it enough to collect a bunch of stuff that I could benefit come GW2 by getting EotN.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Playing with the trait calculator... thieves have a ricochet trait for pistols. Woot! I like that you get to choose between the same pool of major traits every 10 points. It should work fine to either specialize or diversify.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That calculator is exactly what I was looking for the other day. I. Love. Placing. Points.

Now I'm not sure if I want my mesmer to be Duelist/Dom or Duelist/Chaos.

Both look like a lot of fun..... hrrrmmmmm....

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yeah I quite like the trait system overall. It feels very flexible between the various passive benefits, minor traits, and selectable major traits.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Yeah I quite like the trait system overall. It feels very flexible between the various passive benefits, minor traits, and selectable major traits.

I'm really digging the fact that since major traits are completely selectable that you can make builds that don't go a full 30 points without feeling like you're missing the point of the tree.... which gives me an idea for my build...

• Options
    Exactly, the 30 pt slot is not "better" than the 20 pt slot, unless you want 3 major traits in that line.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Where is the calculator you guys are using?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/

It is incompelit.

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/ It was posted a few pages back.

• Options
    Exactly, the 30 pt slot is not "better" than the 20 pt slot, unless you want 3 major traits in that line.

Or want the extra stats, of course.

Here ya go. http://www.gw2tools.com/

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

Voila!
    http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/

• Options
    Along the same vein, http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en has gotten a face-lift with new info/different look.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    This thread. Such an echo chamber.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Pet importance looks pretty high based on the Ranger traits, rather than it just being a moving DoT - lots of ranger abilities based around the Ranger not taking damage and positioning.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Luna thing still doesn't show the active bit of signets, which is annoying.

• Options
    And is missing the bottom row of traits for Warrior, haven't checked any others. Still it's nice. I even found http://streamchan.com/gw2/ which lets you go through character creation(kinda).

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    You know... something just occurred to me. Maybe others have put this together already, but the thought popped into my head today and now I just can't shake it. Those horrible, horrible Yogscast guys. They represent the "average player"!!!

It's very likely that when the hordes descend on Guild Wars 2, the vast majority of them wont dodge, will stand in AoE effects, and will choose weapons and skills based on how cool they look rather than utility or actual effect. They wont understand how equipment works, and will trait themselves in the most general, least effective way possible.

I can't wait!!!!

26904.png
  • Options
    You aren't choosing your weapons and skills based on how cool they look >.o?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    You know... something just occurred to me. Maybe others have put this together already, but the thought popped into my head today and now I just can't shake it. Those horrible, horrible Yogscast guys. They represent the "average player"!!!

It's very likely that when the hordes descend on Guild Wars 2, the vast majority of them wont dodge, will stand in AoE effects, and will choose weapons and skills based on how cool they look rather than utility or actual effect. They wont understand how equipment works, and will trait themselves in the most general, least effective way possible.

I can't wait!!!!

It's gonna be amazing seeing in what way the average player is terrible at this game.

I mean, I've seen how they are bad at WoW and it's clones, but this will be a totally different way of being awful!

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular

I can't wait!!!!

I'm so going Necro with 19/4/24/9/14 when it comes out.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    Except when suddenly some "bad" players choices turn out to be extremely good and they kick your ass.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    Except when suddenly some "bad" players choices turn out to be extremely good and they kick your ass.

Those aren't good choices, those are op.

Rend on
  • Options

How will this happen?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

How will this happen?

Cheating, clearly.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I can't wait!!!!

It's gonna be amazing seeing in what way the average player is terrible at this game.

I mean, I've seen how they are bad at WoW and it's clones, but this will be a totally different way of being awful!

Especially as there doesn't seem to be any primer in the game.

There's no one shouting "Do a barrel roll" when that first boss does an AoE. There's no one saying "I think you should look at stat X, seeing as how you're a Y".

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Especially as there doesn't seem to be any primer in the game.

There's no one shouting "Do a barrel roll" when that first boss does an AoE. There's no one saying "I think you should look at stat X, seeing as how you're a Y".

This video explains why I think that is a good thing. (Ignore most of the MegaMan stuff. Just about the "Help" that new players get now a days.)

Quintessin on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is the biggest problem with many MMOs and a lot of games in general: a dearth of digestable feedback. We, as hardcore MMO players, find it perfectly acceptable to skim important information from webforum postings, blogs and word-of-mouth between each other. Like, for example, dodging. Dodging is obviously a very important mechanic, but it just isn't explained very well in the game.

As much as I think this game is going to advance the state of the art of MMOs, generally speaking MMO design could take a big cue from third person fighting games and single-player FPS games in terms of slowly presenting players with new concepts and "gating" their play until they understand how the game works.

On that note, has anyone seen any information on the Orbs of power in WvW? Like, where are they on the map? How protected are they? Where are they stored? And so on... They seem to be the analog to DAoC relics and I'm sure they will be a very important sub-goal in the WvW game.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    ANet may not have finalized all the tutorial stuff. I haven't been really paying attention to that. In GW1 it pops up basic tutorial stuff when you first start, but they didn't do that until late beta or maybe after release. So there will probably be some basic warning that "hey, there's this dodge thing here! use it!", among a few other UI tips.

For whatever good it'll do.

The whole weapon-skill unlocks is that "gating" thing that you are talking about Stupid. Weapon-swapping and utility slots also unlock over the course of a number of the early levels, and we unlock the elite slot at lvl30. They also have DEs which are simplified and harder to "fail" in the noob zones. So there is some gradual ramp up in terms of complexity etc.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    MMOs need more then that though. It's been a huge failing of the genre in general.

Don't just pop up a tooltip, do some damn proper game design and work teaching the mechanics into the game. You need to dodge in GW2? Have one of the first quests/events/whatever you have to participate in solvable only by dodging. Make it dead easy but make sure the only way to win is to learn how to dodge an attack. Make one of the game's first priorities teaching you that mobility is important.

And don't just teach the basic stuff either. I'm still amazed no game, afaik, with a holy trinity setup has yet made a simple introductory quest-type thing that teaches you about aggro, tanking, healing and CC. This shit wouldn't even be hard to design, it just seems no one bothers.

And it makes the genre as a whole really tough for many to get in to. Shit, it can make MMO players moving from one game to another have difficulties.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I... -think- once you link the Eye of the North(It's not called HoM xP) to your account, it should recognize what you do have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It automatically recognized the three points you get for linking accounts for my dude (as an example, can't actually link them yet), but that's all you can get without EoN, right?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Huggles wrote: »
    This thread. Such an echo chamber.

Of course. I post here.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    ANet may not have finalized all the tutorial stuff. I haven't been really paying attention to that. In GW1 it pops up basic tutorial stuff when you first start, but they didn't do that until late beta or maybe after release. So there will probably be some basic warning that "hey, there's this dodge thing here! use it!", among a few other UI tips.

The whole weapon-skill unlocks is that "gating" thing that you are talking about Stupid. Weapon-swapping and utility slots also unlock over the course of a number of the early levels, and we unlock the elite slot at lvl30. They also have DEs which are simplified and harder to "fail" in the noob zones. So there is some gradual ramp up in terms of complexity etc.

It wouldn't be much effort to have a personal story intro before the starting zone as a primer for basic combat. A charr starting off with their sparring partner. A human noble getting last minute lessons before heading into danger. An asura fighting an out of control golem. A sylvarri being taught self defense before leaving the bows of the tree.

None of this would be damaging story wise, and relativly simple to set up.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Er...you DO know that exists already, right?

• Options
    Yeah there is a single instanced-off DE chain that leads to a boss encounter right at the start. It's the centaur attack -> earth elemental for humans, the ghost attack -> duke barradin for charr, the hunt -> the ice worm for norn, etc.

I think there are arguments for hand-holding players through gameplay and arguments for letting them figure it out. Dodging in particular is a pretty new mechanic for MMOs though, so maybe it warrants special attention. People may not realise that, even for melee hits, if you move out of the way via a mobility skill or via a dodge you don't get hit. This doesn't happen in other MMOs.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    I don't see any real reason NOT to do handholding at the start.

Experienced players will just ignore it, new players will gain.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I would love to see MMOs have a tutorial for advanced skills like strafing, mouseturning, etc. I've taught so many people (especially other women) how to do those things after needing to learn them myself and seeing how much my game improved after learning them. Lots of people get into MMOs who don't have a background in FPS games, and it's sad that they tend to get laughed at instead of having somebody take them aside and saying, "Hey, want to learn how to do this?"

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

It wouldn't be much effort to have a personal story intro before the starting zone as a primer for basic combat. A charr starting off with their sparring partner. A human noble getting last minute lessons before heading into danger. An asura fighting an out of control golem. A sylvarri being taught self defense before leaving the bows of the tree.

None of this would be damaging story wise, and relativly simple to set up.

Indeed, this is in. For example, when you select what your sparring partner was as a charr, during the initial biography section, that charr you selected is the only one to survive. The entire rest of your warband dies. It's a really cool way to implement it.

FWnykYl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.