As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Other Source games work fine, I take it?

Episode 2 works fine. Finding tons of google hits for the exact same issue, with zero solutions. :x

edit: get me my old smileys back!

Off topic, but these smileys look fucking stupid. Also, no D: makes me sad.

On topic, guys, Crusader Kings 2 is pretty awesome. Cross posting my posts from the Paradox thread about what just happened to me.

"Holy shit guys. I sat down to play this for 20 minutes earlier. Two hours passed. I'm the Duke of Lancaster, I helped the King repulse attacks on England by the Normans, Norwegians, the Duke of the Isles, and a Norfolkian Uprising.

I am loving this game, it's got the depth of older paradox games, with the accessibility of the total war franchise.

Then, in another game. The above one ended catastrophically in civil war, and the house of Lancaster being decimated.

So then, after marrying a HRE princess, my king of Castille had an affair with a courtier. So, I did what any red-blooded king would do, threw my wife and the courtier's husband in prison, and carried on the affair. The courtier's husband complained, so he went in the oubliette, where he died a month later. Then, I decided to marry the courtier, so executed my wife.

Ah, medieval relationships.

Lord_Snot on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please!
    Do you always have a worry or care,
    That your steam bank will never be a classy lair.
    Well, ladies and gentlemen I would like you to see!
    That man named PeteRoseHair has gifted the complete Brothers in Arms series to me!

(You're freaking awesome. Song made up on the spot, set to the opening tune of Pirelli's Miracle Elixir. Feels appropriate for announcing something.)

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please!
    Do you always have a worry or care,
    That your steam bank will never be a classy lair.
    Well, ladies and gentlemen I would like you to see!
    That man named PeteRoseHair has gifted the complete Brothers in Arms series to me!

(You're freaking awesome. Song made up on the spot, set to the opening tune of Pirelli's Miracle Elixir. Feels appropriate for announcing something.)

Yeah, White House Press Secretary uses it all the time. :)

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    I do love this Steambox and standardized system requirements idea, but isn't Valve the same company who partnered with EA to publish thier console games just to avoid the headache of making and shipping physical products? It seems unlikely that Valve would make such a huge shift in direction all of the sudden like this.
    They're not necessarily shipping physical products, they're endorsing a standard.
    ...and, allegedly, making a "Steambox" that conforms to and encourages those standards, no?

Their partners would be the ones actually making it.

What's the deal with that image @SquiddyBiscuit posted? Does it have any significance? Where is it from?

vavle employee tweeted that pictures a few months back. some people are saying its a prototype
    Yep!

steam_sig.png
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    So I got a chance to play rock of ages a bit after winning it from @Handgimp.

Not the game I expected. fun, but so far in the story all the matches have boiled down to get your rock to the gate quickest each time as momentum doesnt really have much of an effect on how much damage you do. I have won all the games by just placing down basic towers, or explosive things, and making sure i launch my rock the instant it is available and making sure i dont waste too much time.

I think I was hoping for more of an angry birds in 3d type deal. Still somewhat fun, and the little videos before each level are amusing.

steam_sig.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Other Source games work fine, I take it?

Episode 2 works fine. Finding tons of google hits for the exact same issue, with zero solutions. :x

edit: get me my old smileys back!

Echo, I had the same exact problem but I fixed it by deleting the local data and downloading the entire thing again. I've been in an out of the thread on spotty internet, but I wasn't sure if you had tried this yet.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I know I bitched about this in chat, but M&B REALLY freaking needs auto saves.

Mount and Blade does sorta have auto-saves. When starting a new campaign it asks you if you want to option to quit without saving or not. If you tell it to save the game when quitting, it will auto-save after every battle, when going into the camp menu, and of course, when quitting.

The downside is you can't load after a battle has gone horrible wrong, but you can always alt-tab and force the game to close preventing an auto-save if you really don't like where the battle is going and want to try again.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I just marked mouse 4 as quick save, I think I'll be better off now.

• PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    So Recettear is today's daily deal. Am I right in thinking that it's been on for sale for cheaper than 66% in the past?

teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Today's daily deal is recettear. Go buy Recettear.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So Recettear is today's daily deal. Am I right in thinking that it's been on for sale for cheaper than 66% in the past?

Yeah, but given their success, I wouldn't count it being part of a 5 for $5 pack again

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, buy Recettear, it's pretty great. And extremely compulsive.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

I will not.
    Because I already have it.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I will not.

Same. Hi-5!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Newell: "The price was set just right and they bought the game straight away. Yayifications!"

*XP bonus*

subedii on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Love Recettear, but lost interest once I figured out how to make infinity moneyz by ignoring Tear's advice. Really hope there is a sequel one day that greatly expands on this awesome base.

camo_sig2.png
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Recettear is amazing, until you learn secret of
    not listen to the tutorial, sell everything at 104%, buy at 70%
    then the game loses most of its appeal.
    Edit: Ninja'd.

oakke on
    steam_sig.png
  • PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    Think my backlog is big enough to resist for now. Really ought to try the demo for Recettear though

teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Love Recettear, but lost interest once I figured out how to make infinity moneyz by ignoring Tear's advice. Really hope there is a sequel one day that greatly expands on this awesome base.

Ever since I first played Final Fantasy 4 as a kid, I had always wanted an RPG economic sim/town builder where I create all the shops and accommodations In a typical 16-bit RPG to effectively take advantage of bands or traveling heroes.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah Receattear was too short, it was a shame the NG+ didn't make it longer and harder instead of..well, even easier.

And like a lot of stuff in this genre type, too much was hidden in post game content (adventurers and fusions) even though the meat of the game is finished.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    @Iolo is so classy, he gifted me Recettear as I was contemplating the matter of purchasing it for myself. Unfortunately, now I'm in the process of convincing myself that, if I apply those funds I was going to use on said purchase to Saints Row the Third, the price falls below my impulse threshold.

So, thank you Iolo, and curse you Newell!

Steam: simon moon
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I will not.

Same. Hi-5!

One of us! One of us!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular

Ever since I first played Final Fantasy 4 as a kid, I had always wanted an RPG economic sim/town builder where I create all the shops and accommodations In a typical 16-bit RPG to effectively take advantage of bands or traveling heroes.

That's a very interesting takeaway from FF4. I wanted to be a Dragoon. And all my RPG characters for the next 10 years were named Kain.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!

http://www.townsgame.com/ Was just in the alpha bundle. Alpha still lacks the RPG/hero elements, but sounds like what you want.

camo_sig2.png
    Idx86 wrote: »

That's a very interesting takeaway from FF4. I wanted to be a Dragoon. And all my RPG characters for the next 10 years were named Kain.

Actually, now that I think about it, that was after FF6. I loved all the distinct, detailed towns and cities in that game.

I think young-me did the Kain thing for the next few years, too.

Also maybe someone here can help me. I remember seeing a video of...maybe most anticipated Indies? And one of the games was a Prison Builder sim. Anyone know the name of it? Want to mark it down somewhere so I can support it.

camo_sig2.png

http://www.townsgame.com/ Was just in the alpha bundle. Alpha still lacks the RPG/hero elements, but sounds like what you want.

Well damn. Pretty much spot-on.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Despite owning Reccetear for so long, I've never even played it. Maybe I should correct that today.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular

Also My Life As A King on the Wii really scratches that itch, if you have a wii..

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

The Majesty games are kind of like that. But not really that detailed.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

Also My Life As A King on the Wii really scratches that itch, if you have a wii..

Also Hinterlands, kind of.

I guess I know it isn't steam, but I mentioned it because it is exactly game as described.

Hinterland is fun too, though I haven't played it in quite a while

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Also maybe someone here can help me. I remember seeing a video of...maybe most anticipated Indies? And one of the games was a Prison Builder sim. Anyone know the name of it? Want to mark it down somewhere so I can support it.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/ ?

I guess I know it isn't steam, but I mentioned it because it is exactly game as described.

Thank you, because I knew of the game, but never really looked into it. Didn't know how close it was to what I was thinking. I'm actually going to see if I can find a quick look!

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I bought Recettear at full price . I should have expected it to go on sale at some point, but I only bought it a couple of weeks ago. Anyhoo, 14.99 is still a good price to pay for a game like Recettear.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Thank you, because I knew of the game, but never really looked into it. Didn't know how close it was to what I was thinking. I'm actually going to see if I can find a quick look!

Hinterland? It's been a long time since I played but what I remember:
    You play the mayor of a town. You are also an adventurer. The game is set on a random grid, you can pick the size, which changes how long the game takes. Your town is surrounded by monster camps, some of them will periodically raid your town. You have to encourage people to move to your town. When they get there, each one will have a job like farmer, blacksmith, witch, etc. A blacksmith will open a weapon or armor shop you can get equipment from. Witches sell magic and potions. You can also recruit up to 3 townspeople for your party. You can equip them, level them up, etc. But when you do that they won't run their shop anymore, so you have to balance a healthy town with a strong party.

It's a pretty fun game, but it doesn't have a great deal of depth. I played about 4-5 maps before I got bored. I liked it overall though, and it's cheap.

If you can only find the first 15 minutes or whatever, don't be too disheartened. It takes a while before the complexity builds up, but basically you lay out a fantasy town so that the heroes, when they wake up every day have time to visit all of your shops, meet up in a tavern, and still have time to go out and fight. Placement of your shops and homes and guilds matter quite a bit so your warriors for instance don't have to go from one end of the town to their guild, then all the way to the other for the weapon shop, and back again for the tavern, etc.
    I'm not really doing it service with my description, but I had a blast.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/ ?

You're a good person and I would vote for you if you ran for public office.

camo_sig2.png
    Brothers in Arms is funderful. It's like I'm a rifleman/ranger/paratrooper from Company of Heroes, where I command my own guys. There's even 6 or 7 people in my full squad, almost the same number.
    I liked how they mentioned Cherbourg in the second level because my CoH army in single player captured that place. It's not a reference, because BIA was made before CoH but it's still nice to hear.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Brothers in Arms is funderful. It's like I'm a rifleman/ranger/paratrooper from Company of Heroes, where I command my own guys. There's even 6 or 7 people in my full squad, almost the same number.
    I liked how they mentioned Cherbourg in the second level because my CoH army in single player captured that place. It's not a reference, because BIA was made before CoH but it's still nice to hear.
    Uh even if CoH was made before it, that wouldn't be a reference. All this stuff is based on an actual war that happened about 70 years ago, so when they say things like "Cherbourg" they're referencing actual battles, not other video games.

TychoCelchuuu on
This discussion has been closed.