As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth [chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    I'm addicted to Downton Abbey! Ahhh!

So is my dad. It made him cry more than once.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    because it's videogames!

i'm sorry simon i am not trying to mock your academic career

but you want to get a phd in videogames

you must expect some scoffing, such is the way of the world, ignorant jackinapes like me mocking your field of silly study

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Organichu wants to get a degree in using the computer.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    because it's videogames!

i'm sorry simon i am not trying to mock your academic career

but you want to get a phd in videogames

you must expect some scoffing, such is the way of the world, ignorant jackinapes like me mocking your field of silly study

Some dudes study dicks

They have a phd in dicks

And you know what? God bless them. Without the advances in dick science we've had in the past century you might not even have a dick today chu

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i have 1,000 calories left for today

i have no idea what to eat

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I have a doctorate in Bringing Sexy Back.

And not an honorary one, like Justin Timberlake.

Mine is legit blood sweat and tears.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    What'chu talkin' 'bout 'chu?

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mim wrote: »

You're the second person whose opinion I care about that says this.

I will punch you if it sucks.

Disco Terrier on
    yGxvf.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    sup [chat].

currently doing this. except by myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHscsLM3bts

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i'd like to get a PhD in videogames. Yeah, seriously. I love video Games so much i want to devote my life to them.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Watching Road Warrior right now.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

CINNABON

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Chu, I know where you're coming from, but I can't exactly say I understand it - my sister thinks much the same way, and it is the primary source of tension between myself and her, because she doesn't view what I'm doing/researching as a "real" occupation. She thinks I should just go out and find a job which matches my degree, and if I don't want to work in the media industry, why did I get what is essentially a film school degree

She views practice as more important than theory, and I like the theory side of things more!

Anyway, I have to go call a woman about an application to the diplomatic corps.

• Options
    i'd like to get a PhD in videogames. Yeah, seriously. I love video Games so much i want to devote my life to them.

I wanted to judge you for this statement, but then I took a good look at my own life and decided I had no basis for criticism. :P

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

CINNABON

Don't forget to cry on it!

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I hate you Patent Cooperation Treaty. I hate you!!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Are you any good at programming them or designing mechanics or creating art assets? Because I don't think you can get a degree in playing or enjoying or even criticizing video games. You can work towards those others though.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

I wanted to judge you for this statement, but then I took a good look at my own life and decided I had no basis for criticism. :P

I actually want to work in the Industry.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    done most of the paper. just gotta write the conclusion, finish putting the citations in footnotes, then print.

• Options

CINNABON

Don't forget to cry on it!

The added salt makes them the most delicious food in the world.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Chu, I know where you're coming from, but I can't exactly say I understand it - my sister thinks much the same way, and it is the primary source of tension between myself and her, because she doesn't view what I'm doing/researching as a "real" occupation. She thinks I should just go out and find a job which matches my degree, and if I don't want to work in the media industry, why did I get what is essentially a film school degree

She views practice as more important than theory, and I like the theory side of things more!

look all i'm saying is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rncRYaKAiU

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Do you like English period pieces?

If yes, you'll like Downton Abbey.

If not, you won't like Downton Abbey.

• Options
    Cass - I'm drunk-baking muffins tonight, so that's my offer for those last 1000 calories - which mean you'll be able to have at least two!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ok kinda freaking out, I've noticed a good amount of hair falling out which probably means I am not absorbing enough protein

fuck gotta reevaluate my diet

• Options
    done most of the paper. just gotta write the conclusion, finish putting the citations in footnotes, then print.

Winky, are you looking? WINKY, LOOK AT THIS POST.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Are you any good at programming them or designing mechanics or creating art assets? Because I don't think you can get a degree in playing or enjoying or even criticizing video games. You can work towards those others though.

There's also lots of crossover with other fields like education that you can study.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options

You could get a degree studying media or in media criticism and focus on video games.

• Options
    Alternatively, pizza. I have all the pieces here for one, which is rare - I could be eating pizza later this evening if I tried!

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    ok kinda freaking out, I've noticed a good amount of hair falling out which probably means I am not absorbing enough protein

Lud it'll be alright.

Just get a cow.

You don't have to eat it all at once you can work your way through it over a while.

• Options

I think with Simon it would be a degree in psychology with a focus on the affects of gaming. Or gaming's affect on the media as a whole. So more in effects of gaming on society more than a phd in gaming.

That is what I am getting from this discussion.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The trouble with period pieces is they are mostly about rich ye olde people. Poor ye olde people can be interesting too!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »

look all i'm saying is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rncRYaKAiU

rickscott.jpg

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »

Lud it'll be alright.

Just get a cow.

You don't have to eat it all at once you can work your way through it over a while.

you're literally telling me to have a cow, (man)

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Do you like English period pieces?

If yes, you'll like Downton Abbey.

If not, you won't like Downton Abbey.

I just like drama, no matter the time period. I should love Telenovas but..eh.

I sat through all of Nip/Tuck just for the drama even though it got to levels of beyond crazy.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

You could get a degree studying media or in media criticism and focus on video games.

I mean, you could try really hard if you wanted to, just critiquing video games whenever you are given an open assignment to do so. But I don't think any media studies programs will allow video game criticism as an actual degree specialization.

• Options
    Ludious wrote:

It isn't male pattern baldness kicking right? (I kid) Do they check your blood levels constantly still after your surgery? Because they would probably be a good thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The trouble with period pieces is they are mostly about rich ye olde people. Poor ye olde people can be interesting too!

These poor people are interesting in Downton Abbey

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

I actually want to work in the Industry.

That's rather reasonable then, given that it's a constantly expanding industry with near limitless potential.

• Options
    i'm thinking working in the production would suit me well... Plus, i can always learn pro gramming, right?

This discussion has been closed.