As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Found some fluff I wrote for my Sanguinary Guard army. Who can remember their SG name?! :P
    ++++++++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++++++++
    Encryption Level: Alpha-06
    Subject: DISTRESS CALL!

Unknown hostiles.....defense perimet.....failing.... Defense forces breaki.... ust request reinfore....No hope for surviv...
    ....peror protects...

- - - - - DETECTING INTERFERENCE IN TRANSMISSION SIGNAL - - - - -
    - - - - - ATTEMPTING TO CLEAR SIGNAL - - - - -
    - - - - - SIGNAL LOST - - - - -
    +++++++++ END TRANSMISSION ++++++++

The Blood Angel battle barge Blade of Vengeance had intercepted the distress call from a nearby planet. Commander Dante had read the broken and tattered transmission 8 times now, despite that he had committed it to memory with only a single pass of his eyes. The call came from a nearby Imperial planet that had a long history of service to Mankind. An Imperial Guard regiment in good standing with a glorious record of service, manufactorums that supplied the Imperium with countless supplies, and an impeccable listing of supporting the well being of all Mankind. They deserved to be helped.. They deserved salvation.

He looked up at the chapter serf that had brought him the transmission, "Take note, my friend, and bring this to Brother Argentum as quickly as you can." Dante turned and gazed into the warp through the view panels in his personal cabin.

"Mobilize the Guard. 15 Brothers in 3 squads. Judicis with Venator, Morvus, Spina, and Verso. Ornus with Inficio, Ovest, Verto, and Caedo. Accompanying the Chapter Master will be Argentum, with Matthias, Vir, Croceus, and...." he had named every single Guardian without a single pause, as if he had their names all embedded in the forefront of his mind, except the last. "... and Alacer."

Dante turned on his heel and looked at the servant, "You should be half way there by now, my friend." Dante dismissed the servant and strode across the cabin to prepare for war.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    I used to love making Imperial transmissions for my dark heresy games. I would print them out on paper that has been tied with iced tea and wrinked up. Sometimes I put them on thin, long paper like those old stock ticker machines (as thats how I figured a lot of transmissions would look).

Added a lot of character to the games and it was fun.

• Options
    ooooooooh man, crazy vassal game going on

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Ooo, ooo, Nax, was it necrons? And did they fistbump after they fought?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    silly all drop pod wolves vs silly mixed chaos space marines

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So scratch what I posted earlier about the paints. A more reliable source posted this.
    via BramGaunt
    The whole range is discontinued. All of them. None of the old paints will be available come 7th of April. These are not only renamed foundations and washes and paints. These are completely new paints. New recipe, if you wish. Shades will be very similar, but there might be small differences. If you feel like stocking up on your favorites, feel free to do so, but it shouldn't be necessary.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So scratch what I posted earlier about the paints. A more reliable source posted this.
    via BramGaunt
    The whole range is discontinued. All of them. None of the old paints will be available come 7th of April. These are not only renamed foundations and washes and paints. These are completely new paints. New recipe, if you wish. Shades will be very similar, but there might be small differences. If you feel like stocking up on your favorites, feel free to do so, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Stupid GW doing stupid GW things.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm glad Army Painter Darktone Wash is basically a better Devlan Mud. I'm not worried about this anymore.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Just got back from the 3 round tourny at my FLGS. 2nd time I have played in it. Took my IG this time.

my list
    ccs-3plasma, astropath, chimera
    3x vets, 3melta, chimera
    2x vets, 3 plasma, chimera
    vets, 3flamers, demolitions

3x vendettas, heavy bolter sponsons

LRBT w/3heavy bolters
    2x hydra in a squadron
    manticore

all the chimeras and manticore have hull flamers too.

First game

VS mech eldar (urial+scorpions in serpent, dragons in serpent, eldrad+seer council in serpent, 2 storm guardian squads in serpents, 2 fire prisms) Was spearhead, 4 objectives in terrain that scattered D6 each turn, with some secondary objectives that didnt mater.

I went first, and he actually deployed. So first turn I blew up the scorpion's and a guardian wave serpent, one fire prism and the gun off another, stunned another serpent, and flamed and wiped the guardian squad. So that was most of his ranged anti-tank gone befor he could fire. He ends up killing a vendetta and wiping a guard squad. I blew eldrad and council our of its tank turn 2, and dumped a ton of shots into it for a couple of turns. A melta vet squad runs away after the seer council blows up their chimera, but I order them to regroup and they end up killing eldrad with a melta gun. He is tabled I think end of turn 4. Good for 50/50 points

2nd game

VS purifier spam GKs (5 6man prurifier squads in psybacks, crowe, vindicare, 3 psybolt dreads, ven dread w/asscan) Spearhead again and killpoints with some special modifers that never com into play. I reserve most of my stuff with only the CCS, manticore, LRBT and hydras on the board. Both of us mostly roll shitty on the vehicle damage chart, and he can blow off 1s and 2s, but the number of shots I get slowly evens things out. The big things that save me is his vindicare and two of his dreads rolled really bad and only got to shoot 2-3 times befor I killed them due to being out of LOS or out of range first turn. Also helped that it took him about 5 assault phases to kill the LRBT that didnt move even with hammerhand and a deamonhammer. I end up winning by one kill point, almost entirely because the guy didnt take advantage of some of the missions special rules (my list really couldnt). Rules give me 46/50 points.

3rd game

was aginst a guy running corsairs with the models he has untill he can get his FW stuff, so 3 troops in bs4 falcons, troop jetbikes, two nightspinners, banshees w/a waveserpent, kabalites w/raider(banshees steal this), and 2 5 man deepstriking troops. Pitched battle. You got to pick your objectives this time, so I did victory points primary, end with a model 5in from table center secondary, kill his HQ tirtiary.

He went first and deployed, I deployed the mantcore behind the hydras in a corner, the LRBT behind cover in the middle and scout moved the three vendettas along my back line. All his shooting completly failed to pen my tanks except one nightspinner shot that blew a gun off a hydra. Turn 1 I killed a falcon, night spinner, waveserpent, and the raider. Turn two he immobolizes a vendetta by ramming it and blows a gun off with shooting but his HQ cant kill it in assault. Whats left of his anti-tank that can shoot(some melta guns) flat out misses my stuff. By turn three I had de-meched all his stuff right in front of where my chimeras had come on from reserve, eldar really dont like heavy flamers. At one point I had the kabalits and some fleeing banshees in a half circle of 5 chimeras. Last turn he turbo boosts his bikes (only thing left alive) to the middle (he had taken the 1 unit 5in from center objective too), but pretty much my whole army shoots them and kills them off. Gives me 50/50 points.

I end up first place by about 40 pts. The corsair guy takes second place. Third was a BA foot list (devistators, 2 libbies, assault and honor guard squads and lots of priests) that some how mananged to table the Gk purifier list that I played. With the prize money I end up getting the valkerie I wanted for my elysian list for dirt cheap.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Tau Empire or Grey Knights - who do I chose for my new army? I've got it narrowed down to those two, and have only ever played the basic Space Marines before. Anybody got any opinions on either of those before I start buying stuff :) ?

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Grats ogotai sounds like a fun tourney and good job on first!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Hensler wrote: »
    Tau Empire or Grey Knights - who do I chose for my new army? I've got it narrowed down to those two, and have only ever played the basic Space Marines before. Anybody got any opinions on either of those before I start buying stuff :) ?

I vote Tau. Simply because GK are huge right now, high popularity due to it being a "power codex". It can play as a very point and click army. Tau is complicated, and fragile in it's current state. But the next generation of Tau should be fairly balanced and strong (rumor's place it right before or after the release of 6th edition this summer).

Personally, I think that due to how far off the power curve GK is this edition, their next iteration will be nerfed to hell.

• Options
    Ironically, Tau stand up pretty well against the GK, since they can sit back and shoot the holy shit out of them :P

• Options
    I didn't realize GK was overpowered right now - I actually narrowed it down to them and Tau just from looking at models at the store today, lol.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    Found some fluff I wrote for my Sanguinary Guard army. Who can remember their SG name?! :P

I'm pretty sure I'm Alacer, but I forget :P

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's the proper way to play. Pick what you think looks cool and fits your playstyle.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, tau do pretty good vs GK. All the broken assault stuff they have dosent matter as tau are not going to be winning assaults anyway. Their only good long range shooting, the psybolt dreads, there are usually 3-5 max in a list. With all the railguns you can get you can pop those quick in theory. Railguns can also fuck up some paladins. And GK will usually have nothing that will ignore the armor in your suits and broadsides with shooting, in assault your screwed as usual.

A guy thats starting 40k due to playing Spacemarine came in today. Said he likes marines, but not sure on what chapter or imperial/chaos. The GK player and I said go read lexicanum, find out what fluff/looks/combat style of army he might like. Come back on the 40k night and we could help pick out a codex/models that will fit what he likes.

On the tourny, we do usually get a good spread on army types. This time was only 8 people tough. this was IG, corsairs, foot BA, Mech BA (several razors, dakka preads, DC in rhino, DSing assault terminators), the purifier GKs, mixed gods deamon list, Ultramarines (mech with 3 predators and usually 2 sternguard squads), mech eldar. Oddly enough this is usually the only time I play marines, the weekly casual stuff is usually eldar of some type more than anything. I think the foot BA, corsairs, Ultras and GK were all pretty close in points, largely depending on the outcome of the final game. Think what got the corsair guy second was he took for his primary objective to get his HQ and elites killed, so that got him 25/50 right there even though I tabled him. He probably knew that game was going to be bad for him as I had played him with my IG when he proxied 3 warp hunters and some hornets for way more anti-tank and we still tied.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    That's the proper way to play. Pick what you think looks cool and fits your playstyle.

I agree completely. I do think that an army choice does need to be made with all the information (where it is on the power curve, rumors about a new release, how they rank competitively, etc) simply because picking an army is a huge commitment. Unit's themselves should be based on models though. Play what's cool first and foremost.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I asked my buddy's wife to make a cake for him last Saturday as it was his 30th birthday. He's a Salamanders nut.

9Y1gR.png

That is Mountain Dew flavored icing. Nerd heaven.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Yuuuuuuup. You had been promoted to Dante's favor based on your performance in the game prior, but I don't remember what for :P

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't know why you'd invest a 800 points into a Paladin deathstar when you can do the same thing cheaper and better with an Inquisitorial Warband + ICs.

Inquisitor, Power Armor, Psychotroke Grenades, Psyker, Hammerhand - 88pt
    Inquisitorial Warband, 7 Crusaders, 2 Banishers w/Eviscerator, 3 Arcoflagellants - 210
    Librarian, Daemonhammer, Might of Titan, Sanctuary - 165
    Techmarine, Rad & Blind Grenades, Servoharness, Storm Bolter - 108

561 points. Anyone that charges you dies horribly to Sanctuary + Rad Grenades + Blind Grenades. If you charge, you stack hammerhand twice + Might of Titan and have:

18 WS4 S6 Power Weapon attacks.
    15 WS5 S8 attacks.
    4 WS4 S7 Power Weapon attacks.
    2 WS4 S10 Power Weapon attacks.
    6 WS3 S10 Power Weapon attacks.

You are slightly less durable to shooting due to the prevalence of T3, but seven storm shields helps make up for that.

Edit: Everything but the S10 swings at I10, BTW. Instagib.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Nax wrote:

Yuuuuuuup. You had been promoted to Dante's favor based on your performance in the game prior, but I don't remember what for :P

I don't think I had one because Nax hates me ;_;

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

I'm Caedo, pretty sure.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    hey as it turns out taking coteaz and a fuckton of daemonhosts is NOT a good list.

Just FYI.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    (rumor's place it right before or after the release of 6th edition this summer).

A new edition is coming out this summer? Should I be holding off on buying codexes and such until that releases?

• Options
    altmann wrote: »
    hey as it turns out taking coteaz and a fuckton of daemonhosts is NOT a good list.

Just FYI.

Is it an amusing list?

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Nope. Just shit overall.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    I didn't realize GK was overpowered right now - I actually narrowed it down to them and Tau just from looking at models at the store today, lol.

GKs aren't overpowered by any stretch of the imagination, but you could have an illiterate person throw paint at the wall for an hour and at the end of it he'd probably have either a Draigo-wing list or melta dudes in chimeras + psycannons. Also, they're boring as fuck to play against.

• Options
    GK aren't necessarily overpowered, but they are crazy good, easily top tier.

Honestly I think Draigowing and Coteaz lists are not great - a good Paladin deathstar is absurdly expensive and lives or dies by "can you take out a Land Raider on the top of Turn 2," and IG do the Henchman thing better.

Grey Knights are at their best when you have 40+ Grey Knight models on the board with a bunch of Psycannons spread around. Sheer volume of fire on the move will kill nearly everything most other armies can throw at you.

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I don't think I had one because Nax hates me ;_;

From my Google Doc entitled "Sanguinary Guard Painting" back when I was going to create my SG army painted by the posters the models were named after:

"Dies Ver Dayspring Assembling self / Painting self "

HOW BOUT DEM APPLES?!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Does that mean I was going to make one myself?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I believe I was going to mail you the bits, I think? It was awhile ago, I don't remember

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Guys shut the fuck up about your stupid plastic toys and focus on what's really important.
    mugginns wrote: »
    That is Mountain Dew flavored icing.

Details, motherfucker.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    (rumor's place it right before or after the release of 6th edition this summer).

A new edition is coming out this summer? Should I be holding off on buying codexes and such until that releases?

No, even when a new edition comes out, you still use the same codex until it's replaced. If you care a lot about relative army strength, that's the only reason to let a new edition dictate what you buy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Played the DW list against my buddy's Tau.

Paladins are hilariously hard to kill and I definitely played them way too conservatively.

GK book is really strong but not overpowered. I've got a winning record against it with Nids, SoB and Tyranids. Like Salvation mentioned, their power really comes from high firepower and mobility, while being hard to beat in assault.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular

I was tempted by the 40K bug, but I'm going to focus on my existing Fantasy models/army until 6th comes out and see if it's any good. With a new Chaos codex coming in the fall, I'm thinking of putting together some Thousand Sons.

• Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    ...GK book is really strong but not overpowered. I've got a winning record against it with Nids, SoB and Tyranids. Like Salvation mentioned, their power really comes from high firepower and mobility, while being hard to beat in assault.

Grey Knights are supposed to be made for killing Daemons. They DON'T do that very well. But what they DO do extremely well is kill Tyranids.

Games-Workshop hates Tyranids....

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I find SW to be a much, much harder matchup than GK.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    ...GK book is really strong but not overpowered. I've got a winning record against it with Nids, SoB and Tyranids. Like Salvation mentioned, their power really comes from high firepower and mobility, while being hard to beat in assault.

Grey Knights are supposed to be made for killing Daemons. They DON'T do that very well.

Between Preferred Enemy and Daemonbane on the Nemesis weapons they kill Daemons just fine. They just kill Tyranids even better.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw someone selling thier army but part of thier discription was No finecast! is it really that bad?

This discussion has been closed.