As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    CFP has some xbla/psn games, but nothing that requires a constant internet connection, which I think Journey does. :(

Edit: Wait, talking with my friend in CFP he said they might have it after all. So a giant MAYBE!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    CocoDaPuf wrote: »
    I got a Console Freeplay (CFP) question here.

Is there any way to play non-disc (like downloadable) games at the CFP area? The thing is, I've been hearing amazing things about this game Journey, But it's PS3 only, and I don't own one.

So I guess I'd like to request the game for the pax cfp area, but if that isn't possible, I understand.

The big thing about Journey is that it requires you to be online, because the game is..er..dynamic... and CFP usually doesn't have any consoles connected to the internet. IIRC, there was only one or two PS3's at PAX East last year anyway...

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    I didn’t receive my PAX Badges in the Mail!! What do I do?
    If you live outside of the US, or you purchased your pass after the cut off date for badges to be mailed, you will need to pick up your badge at Will Call using your paper ticket with the Bar Code on it AND a valid piece of photo ID.

If your badge really is lost in the mail, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

this was already in the FAQ, but bolded and added to the top.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they said anything about allowing/stopping closed off booths on the expo hall this year (the ones where you had to go inside some sort of sealed structure to watch/play the demo they were showing). I know after prime a lot of people were unhappy with the lines the closed off booths caused (bioware, I'm looking at you), but did anyone ever say whether they were banning that sort of thing this year?
    I would guess that as long as the company in question can effectively manage their own line, it would be allowed still, but I haven't heard one way or another. It's a pretty typical trade show thing, to have a private portion of a booth, so I would be surprised to see it go away entirely.
    Zerzhul is correct. Booths are welcome to have closed-off sections (and it is unlikely they will ever be banned), but they are supposed to have crowd management plans in effect (even if they don't have any closed-off sections).

That's really a shame. I felt having things closed off so you had to wait 4+ hours in line to see a video that in previous years would have just been playing out in the open really degrades the experience of the expo hall.

But whatever, question answered I guess.

• Options
    CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is there much thievery at PAX East? My friends play Yugioh and when they go to big tournaments they have to take precautions so their stuff won't get stolen (one of my friends even had something taken from his lap...). Like should I put a lock on my backpack? Also, I'm sharing a hotel room with strangers, should I lock up my luggage and lock it to a bed so it won't get stolen? Yes I'm paranoid.

CtrlAltDft on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    CocoDaPuf wrote: »
    I got a Console Freeplay (CFP) question here.

Is there any way to play non-disc (like downloadable) games at the CFP area? The thing is, I've been hearing amazing things about this game Journey, But it's PS3 only, and I don't own one.

So I guess I'd like to request the game for the pax cfp area, but if that isn't possible, I understand.

CFP usually has a few dedicated consoles set up for downloadable games, but I have no idea what games they'll have on them or if they'll even have said dedicated consoles this year.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    Is there much thievery at PAX East? My friends play Yugioh and when they go to big tournaments they have to take precautions so their stuff won't get stolen (one of my friends even had something taken from his lap...). Like should I put a lock on my backpack? Also, I'm sharing a hotel room with strangers, should I lock up my luggage and lock it to a bed so it won't get stolen? Yes I'm paranoid.

I've been to PAX 4 times and never had anything stolen. That said, take reasonable precautions. I don't know about staying with strangers. I've stayed with internet friends and they've never taken anything from me, but never stayed with complete strangers.

• Options
    lagannleelagannlee Registered User new member
    This is my first time going. Me and a friend will be going at around 3:00 because school gets out around 2:05. We purchased our badges past march 16th and will be taking the printed paper with the bar code on it to will-call to pick up our badges- does this take a long time? Also, my friend keeps talking about how awesome the PAX gift bags and items are. Is it really as good as he says?

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if they said anything about allowing/stopping closed off booths on the expo hall this year (the ones where you had to go inside some sort of sealed structure to watch/play the demo they were showing). I know after prime a lot of people were unhappy with the lines the closed off booths caused (bioware, I'm looking at you), but did anyone ever say whether they were banning that sort of thing this year?
    I would guess that as long as the company in question can effectively manage their own line, it would be allowed still, but I haven't heard one way or another. It's a pretty typical trade show thing, to have a private portion of a booth, so I would be surprised to see it go away entirely.
    Zerzhul is correct. Booths are welcome to have closed-off sections (and it is unlikely they will ever be banned), but they are supposed to have crowd management plans in effect (even if they don't have any closed-off sections).

That's really a shame. I felt having things closed off so you had to wait 4+ hours in line to see a video that in previous years would have just been playing out in the open really degrades the experience of the expo hall.

But whatever, question answered I guess.
    It's their marketing decision to make. They weigh the pros and cons and do what they will based on them. If products marketed in this way begin to get bad press due to the closed booth design, you'll begin to see more open booths.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    lagannlee wrote: »
    This is my first time going. Me and a friend will be going at around 3:00 because school gets out around 2:05. We purchased our badges past march 16th and will be taking the printed paper with the bar code on it to will-call to pick up our badges- does this take a long time?

By 3PM the line at registration shouldn't be that bad, so it should be a fairly short wait (compared to other lines at PAX) for your badges.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I may have asked this already but how cool is it to wear the badge around Boston? What I mean is, is it seen as a big 'mug me, I'm a tourist with money to spend on random stuff' sign?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »

I don't think you are going to get more than just anecdotal evidence here. PAX is more safe than some places, and less safe than others. You are just going to have to take whatever precautionary actions you choose to. The only helpful advice i can give you is that there was a coat check run by the BCEC last year. I am not sure if they are doing it again this year, run a search on the forums, or if they take bags too, but if it exists, then that could be an option for you to consider.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    I don't think you are going to get more than just anecdotal evidence here. PAX is more safe than some places, and less safe than others. You are just going to have to take whatever precautionary actions you choose to. The only helpful advice i can give you is that there was a coat check run by the BCEC last year. I am not sure if they are doing it again this year, run a search on the forums, or if they take bags too, but if it exists, then that could be an option for you to consider.

The coat check definitely took bags last year, as I used them to hold all my luggage on Sunday (I was staying in Cambridge and had an evening flight, and so I checked out first thing in the morning and had all my stuff with me during the day). I haven't heard any reports as to whether they definitely are or are not doing it again, but I also remember last year no one was sure if they were doing it ahead of time either. I'm guessing you'd have to ask someone official (like PAX_questions@paxsite.com or sending a tweet to @official_PAX) if it's a huge issue for anyone.

For what it's worth, I don't think locking your backpack is necessary, just keep it on you (or in coat check). And if you don't trust the people you're rooming with, I'd try to get in contact with them now and get to know them (or make alternate arrangements). Luggage locks won't prevent theft if someone has time alone to break into your bags, and there's lots worse that can happen than luggage theft.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've stayed with strangers for the past two years - the first year I booked a room and had 3 guys crash there with me - the second year I slept on the floor of someone else's room with him and one other guy. I can't say anything but good stuff about all the folks I stayed with and not once did I worry about my possessions with them around or not around. The first year I was careful that I was the last one out of the room Sunday just because I was responsible for it and wanted to make sure we left it unscathed, but otherwise smooth sailing here. Again that's anecdotal and all of the guys I found on the forums (some long term members, some not).

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, in gearing up for PAX I was reminiscing over some of the items I had kicking around from East 2010 and 2011. In the 2010 stuff was the Intel contest pin (the giant blue thing) and noticed on the back side of the pin was a sticker that said "Pax Pox" I think (it's a bit worn off.) I very vaguely remember someone sticking it to the back of my pin but I have no idea why or what it was a part of. Can anyone shed some light on my mystery sticker?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's always the chance that someone can be a total silly goose. Just be careful and you'll probably be ok.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sounds like the "Infected" game.

A nonzero number of people run around sticking these stickers on people and (theoretically) telling them to go talk to someone to get a sheet of stickers of their own. For every sheet you complete you would get a clue about the identity of patient zero, and whoever finds patient zero wins.

That's the basic understanding I got from anecdotal talking to people after the show. The game broke down quickly in my experience because nobody would ever talk about the "go get your own stickers and join in" bit, so it just became a weird game of "I have these stickers and want to stick one on you".

I don't know if anyone is doing it this year or not.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, last year it wasn't so much a game as people running around infecting other people for fun.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Sounds like the "Infected" game.

A nonzero number of people run around sticking these stickers on people and (theoretically) telling them to go talk to someone to get a sheet of stickers of their own. For every sheet you complete you would get a clue about the identity of patient zero, and whoever finds patient zero wins.

That's the basic understanding I got from anecdotal talking to people after the show. The game broke down quickly in my experience because nobody would ever talk about the "go get your own stickers and join in" bit, so it just became a weird game of "I have these stickers and want to stick one on you".

I don't know if anyone is doing it this year or not.

The extension was that on Sunday, there was a "cure". Different groups of people got the cure, and certain cures could only cure certain infections.

I think it was started/run by a university.

• Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    I went back a few pages and didnt see this asked. On the guidebook app it has saturdays omegathon round at 830 and the concerts starting after. On the pax website its listed as 8pm. Which is the correct one? im trying to figure out how long i need to wait in line

its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I may have asked this already but how cool is it to wear the badge around Boston? What I mean is, is it seen as a big 'mug me, I'm a tourist with money to spend on random stuff' sign?

You'll probably look like a tourist with or without the badge. :)

I wouldn't worry about being mugged any more than is just prudent general caution. Pickpocketing might be something worth being a little paranoid about, but really, just be smart about it and you should be totally fine.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    I went back a few pages and didnt see this asked. On the guidebook app it has saturdays omegathon round at 830 and the concerts starting after. On the pax website its listed as 8pm. Which is the correct one? im trying to figure out how long i need to wait in line

the pax site should have the correct time, and it's generally better to assume it's earlier. especially for omegathon/concerts, for which lineups usually start at least 2 hrs in advance. then again, they don't always fill, so it's really just about how close you want to be to the front.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options

As a general rule, the website trumps the app.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    fryedeggfryedegg Registered User new member
    edited March 2012
    Hi There,

This will be my 1st PAX East and am curious how long it takes to go from one end of the expo to the other? I am attending as media and I want to schedule my media appointments and not set myself up for being late because it takes too long to traverse from one side of the Expo to the other. My only con experience was E for All back in 2007 at the LA convention center. That one probably took about 5 mins, maybe a little less to walk from end to end. Is that about right for the PAX floor? Looking forward to my 1st PAX!

-Fryedegg

fryedegg on
  • Options
    If you're talking just the expo hall, you could probably traverse it in 3-5 minutes, easily.

If you're talking from one end of the BCEC to another, ymmv. Factor in that there are multiple stories in the BCEC and if your meeting is not on the expo hall floor, it will take a significant amount of time to get from the expo hall to the media room, etc.

Utilize your maps that have been made available to help kind of coordinate where you're going. Traversing the hallways outside of expo are generally a breeze, and one could walk from one corner of the building to the opposite in about 3-4 minutes at a walking pace.

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    The building is 1/4 mile long, and a bit more than a tenth of a mile wide. So depends on your walking speed and crowds, but probably about 5 minutes.

• Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    A crowded expo hall floor from one side to the other would probably be in the 15-20 minute range depending on. It's larger this year than last year.

• Options
    peetsnack wrote: »

As a general rule, the website trumps the app.

The Omegathon starts at 8, the Concerts begin around 8:30[ish]

• Options
    electricmeatelectricmeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Quick geographical question for everyone. I promise I've done some quasi-competent searches before asking. :)

Where, geographically, is the Main Theater? I'm laser-focused on seeing the keynote and the first Q&A and I know I need to wait in line on Friday morning to do that. My question is: where will that line be? Is the Theater inside the convention center? Is it a nearby building? I think you see where I'm going with all of this.

Help me, PAX East veterans. You're my only hope. [/leia]

EDIT: Damn it, karma. Just after posting this message, I stumbled across the BCEC maps. The Main Theater is on the top floor (BCEC Level 3) of the building. Let me modify my questions.

For those who have attended a PAX East keynote, Q&A, or Main Theater line, what's the story? If I get to the BCEC early in the morning (before PAX opens) do we line up outside? Do we mill around in a giant mob until the doors open, then race to the Main Theater in a geeky stampede?

electricmeat on
  • Options
    CptFancyPantsCptFancyPants Baltimore, MDRegistered User regular
    So I had a question about getting welcome bag/merch/swag. I won't be getting to PAX until Saturday morning. What are the chances I'll still be able to pick up some of that cool stuff?

• Options
    Quick geographical question for everyone. I promise I've done some quasi-competent searches before asking. :)

Where, geographically, is the Main Theater? I'm laser-focused on seeing the keynote and the first Q&A and I know I need to wait in line on Friday morning to do that. My question is: where will that line be? Is the Theater inside the convention center? Is it a nearby building? I think you see where I'm going with all of this.

Help me, PAX East veterans. You're my only hope. [/leia]

EDIT: Damn it, karma. Just after posting this message, I stumbled across the BCEC maps. The Main Theater is on the top floor (BCEC Level 3) of the building. Let me modify my questions.

For those who have attended a PAX East keynote, Q&A, or Main Theater line, what's the story? If I get to the BCEC early in the morning (before PAX opens) do we line up outside? Do we mill around in a giant mob until the doors open, then race to the Main Theater in a geeky stampede?

You line up for the MT outside of the MT. There's Q space on the 3rd floor outside of the theater, and it extends down onto the second floor as the line gets longer. You can enter the BCEC and begin lining up for things at 8am.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I had a question about getting welcome bag/merch/swag. I won't be getting to PAX until Saturday morning. What are the chances I'll still be able to pick up some of that cool stuff?

There still should be some leftover

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The welcome bags never ran out at east 2011. You will have no issue getting the welcome bag as far as I know based on past experiences. As far as anything else goes, there's no real way to tell how long stocks will last or whether or not vendors will ration their items for each day.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular

You may be able to get some swag bags on Saturday - I honestly don;t remember what the swag bags looked like on Saturday. I can say that the expo hall will have plenty of booths giving out fun free stuff as usual. Just don;t get a Dragon's Nest ludicrously large bag like last year - I definitely saw some bags split open! And remember to bring a good backpack or messenger bag to haul stuff in.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular

Absolutely 100% They make sure to have bags for the people with single day passes. And there are free swag everyday on the expo floor.

• Options
    CptFancyPantsCptFancyPants Baltimore, MDRegistered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

The welcome bags never ran out at east 2011. You will have no issue getting the welcome bag as far as I know based on past experiences. As far as anything else goes, there's no real way to tell how long stocks will last or whether or not vendors will ration their items for each day.

Newb follow up question - what was in the welcome bags last year?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »

I think the PAX scarves (for sale) run out pretty quick, but if I remember right they reserve some so they'll be for sale at the start of each day.

• Options
    electricmeatelectricmeat Registered User regular

You line up for the MT outside of the MT. There's Q space on the 3rd floor outside of the theater, and it extends down onto the second floor as the line gets longer. You can enter the BCEC and begin lining up for things at 8am.
    Very valuable intel, Zerzhul. Thanks. :)

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »

I think the PAX scarves (for sale) run out pretty quick, but if I remember right they reserve some so they'll be for sale at the start of each day.

Yeah, PA merch goes really fast. Hopefully there will still be some by Saturday.
    Newb follow up question - what was in the welcome bags last year?

Mainly ads, a few coupons, a chotchke or two, maybe a t-shirt. However, the bag contents will look different for East, much to the joy of anyone who's had to stuff those bags before.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?