Options

If you could only play one game the rest of your life...

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It'd have to be something simple. Like Doom. The original, and still best, FPS game. (yes, I know, wolfenstein, its not nearly as good)

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd say GTA San Andreas simply because I'm content to somedays just drive around for hours without really accomplishing anything. The game is just so much fun to dick around with.

However, if GTA 4 is just as good but with the much better RAGE engine, I'd take it over SA.

Etch on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Geometry Wars on the 360

I'm assuming I have all of my music, too.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Possibly Frontier: Elite 2 or Galactic Civilizations II: Gold Ed..

Dírhael on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Etch wrote: »
    I'd say GTA San Andreas simply because I'm content to somedays just drive around for hours without really accomplishing anything. The game is just so much fun to dick around with.

However, if GTA 4 is just as good but with the much better RAGE engine, I'd take it over SA.

Games like this I love

Where you can just drive around and do stuff

I love hopping in the Lamborghini type car in Vice City, turning on some custom music, and putting in the 4 star cheat.

Then it's on.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jedi Knight: Outcast.

Clarification: I played it non stop for a year and a half.

I would go and find a big room or hangar, turn notarget on and spawn a whole bunch of hard enemies. Then turn it off and have an absolute blast.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tie Fighter.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Games like this I love

I love hopping in the Lamborghini type car in Vice City, turning on some custom music, and putting in the 4 star cheat.

Then it's on.

Whoah!? Who uses the cheat? I'm quite capable of drive-bying my way up to 4 stars in under a minute, myself...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I really have to get around to buying Blazing Angels. I've played the demo like fiteen times, and I really want to get on live and have epic dogfights

I would want to play that for the rest of my life

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Games like this I love

Then it's on.

Whoah!? Who uses the cheat? I'm quite capable of drive-bying my way up to 4 stars in under a minute, myself...

Well if I don't feel like causing some mayhem first and I'm just in the mood for a good chase

I pretend I have a kilo of cocaine strapped to the car and someone just tipped off the cops

also I have a live cougar in the car

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Games like this I love

Then it's on.

Yeah, you really do not need a cheat to get 4 stars - just some creativity.

As for the game, I think I'd pick Morrowind and the 2 expansions (if that's allowed by the rules). The sheer amoung of real estate oughta keep me interested.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Myth 2. With people to play against, a map editor, and the best RTS game-play ever created I would be a happy camper.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Civ 2
    second choice would be Disgaea 2

endless random boards for the win. neither ever got old to me.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Angband. It's not as good as the other big roguelikes, but it is excessively long, ludicrously hard and never the same twice, while all other roguelikes are only one or two of those things. I'll probably be playing or two games of it a month for the rest of my life, and I doubt I'll ever beat it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Crackdown or Super Mario World.... or possibly Wii Sports.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dead Rising

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    'nother vote for Morrowind.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd actually say Halo 2 or Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Multiplayer all the way.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    once forza 2 comes out, and i get the racing wheel with force feedback ill be set for a very long time.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Starcraft

I bought it for 15 Malaysian ringets (about 5 CDN) and no other game I have ever got has matched the fun:cost ratio that it had. It is the most played and most fun game I have ever had in my entire life. Right now, I have retired the game from my roster to let it sleep the good sleep it deserves but if I was ever on a desert island that strangely enough has internet connection and had to choose one game to bring, it would be starcraft.

The main point for starcraft wouldn't even be its primary form of play (good as though it may be) oh no, the main point for me would be the literally thousands of custom maps that are available to play, and even now, new and more advanced custom maps are being released all the time. I remember when the first maps were nothing but masses, bloods, tower defense and sloppily made rpgs. And now we have multiple advanced World War 2 Scenarios, that awesome Raccoon City Map, Sunken Defense, That awesome Dragonlance RPG i used to play all the time, Zergling Blood =D, Aeon of Strife, The Thing, Escape Maps, etc...etc...

Despite it's age and outdated graphics, Starcraft still maintains a good sized player population and an ever changing custom map rotation. That is why I believe that should you be forced to choose only one game for the rest of your life, that Starcraft would be the wisest and longest lasting choice.

Runner Ups:
    -Civ 4
    -CS:S
    -WC 3

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    once forza 2 comes out, and i get the racing wheel with force feedback ill be set for a very long time.

You've dropped Science, sir.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dwarf Fortress, as long as I'm allowed to download new versions whenever it's updated. It's a game that's already way more complex than any other game I've ever played, and it's still got a long way to go before it's finished. That is, if it ever will be finished.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Morrowind.

I mean, yeah, I've put hundreds of hours into it, but man, there are still things I haven't done and since it's moddable I'd have content for years.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spore. Or Civ 4.

Yeah, Civ 4.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd pick any game from either Xbox, PS2, or GCN so I could hang myself with the controller after playing the same game for 3 years.

AHH! on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    X-Com

I could shoot Chrysalids forever.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Hate to be cliche but I'm certainly in the Tetris camp.

Though I will clarify and say absolutely NOT the original version... The original had great design and all but try going back to it after spending any amount of time with "TetrisHD" or whatever the PSN version is called... The og Tetris is slow, clunky, and a chore to play after the fluidity and precision allowed on modern hardware. Modern Tetris really feels near "brain to board" once your muscle memory gets tuned.

I've freaked myself out on many occasions when become aware of how fast my fingers are moving mid battle... And I'm not even in the topmost tier of players. I average around 70 tpm but I've seen players going as fast as 114..

Tetris battle is easily the "purest" gaming experience I can imagine.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Probably StarCraft 2, because the skill ceiling is so high I would get a decade or more of challenge out of it. This is assuming of course there are still other players to play with in this mythical world where I can only keep one game.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I know it kinda goes against the spirit of the question, but if I could only choose one game to play for the rest of my life I'd probably just swear off gaming entirely.

Similar to "if you could only eat one type of food for the rest of your life", eventually you're bound to hate whatever you choose. With food, many people would choose their favorite food not really thinking long term; and eventually hate it. Smarter people would choose something bland and unobjectionable but that gave you adequate nutrients. You're going to detest it before long anyway, might as well make the most of it.

So to with gaming. If you choose your favorite game, think about how quickly you'll end up hating it, or at best just being so sick of it you never want to see it again. I'd rather just keep my memories and have nastolgia of the good times with various games than flogging one game so long that all savor is lost.

That's what I'd actually choose.

But if I had a gun to my head and had to choose, and mmo's were out, probably Diablo 2. Maybe Borderlands (or D3 or BL2, but those remain to be seen).

Something that I can play with friends, but has, at least in part, randomized content so that it isn't so repetitive. For that reason, definitely D2 over BL. Or if I could make up a dream game, something with Freelancers gameplay but with randomized content.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Probably StarCraft 2, because the skill ceiling is so high I would get a decade or more of challenge out of it. This is assuming of course there are still other players to play with in this mythical world where I can only keep one game.
    If I pick SC2, do I get all three parts? Cause I do enjoy the single player campaign more then the online part.
    So, probably SC2 if I get all campaigns. After I get bored with them, there's the map creation tool to learn and make new campaigns or other game types altogether.

edit: dammit, didn't notice this thread was so old... curse you necro-spammers

see317 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Awise, awise fwom your gwave! 5 year old thread HO!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Awise, awise fwom your gwave! 5 year old thread HO!

ahahaha I didn't even notice that.

I was wondering why a lot of the answers seemed so outdated.

Maybe the thread should just be locked. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, it would have to be a game with no real storyline so that replayability is unlimited. And it would need to be engaging enough to keep me entertained forever.... umm... it would have to be a simulator...

SimCity 5(assuming they don't screw it up, otherwise SimCity 4).

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and do everyone saying Spore regret that statement now? :)

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Freespace 2
    or Saints Row the Third

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 with the expansion packs. I find that I can just landscape and build parts for hours and hours. Alternatively maybe one of the Sims games as I like playing with electronic dollhouses.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Dwarf Fortress, as long as I'm allowed to download new versions whenever it's updated. It's a game that's already way more complex than any other game I've ever played, and it's still got a long way to go before it's finished. That is, if it ever will be finished.

I came to this thread to post this exact sentiment. Are you perchance, me?

As a second place, probably Europa Universalis 3 or something. DF with its fortress mode and adventure mode and whatever the hell Toady comes up with next ought to provide a player entertainment for ages.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    After 20+ years of playing Tetris off and on, it's the only one I can think of (for me) that has had the staying power. I wonder how long some of you have actually played the games you're choosing.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Mag. Before they messed it all up.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    eobet wrote: »
    Yeah, and do everyone saying Spore regret that statement now? :)

lol

I would pick a game that has infinite re-playability, so likely something like Tetris or Columns, or perhaps a randomly generated game like Toejam & Earl where a good portion of the enjoyment you get out of the game comes from the buddy sitting next to you.

One thing is a must, though - it must have an absolutely killer soundtrack.

TheSonicRetard on
This discussion has been closed.