As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I hate getting rare character cards I've already maxed out.

Goddammit, gimme my graals and my widows.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, I started glancing at the lists of items. If my calculations are correct (and there's some fuzziness here, because the list I looked at was missing like half a dozen of the weapon mods), I've got;
    91/100 commons (just missing a few mods at 5)
    71/180 uncommons (a lot of weapons at 2-3, most of the mods around 2-4)
    38/122 Rares (including the 12 upgrades to gel, missiles, etc)
    1/70 Ultra Rares (just a single Talon)
    1/50 N7 Weekend Weapons (like everyone else who participated, of course)

What's baffling is that I appear to be outright missing two uncommon weapons (Raptor and Vindicator). I mean, I'm sure it's totally plausible, but wow.

That in mind, I might just have to go back to heavy Veteran packs, but I might stick with Spectres anyway in the hopes that they'll eventually make that special double-uncommon Veteran pack available again.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    So I just successfully completed my first silver match. And by "completed" I mean "got revived a couple dozen times and had the second lowest person triple my score." I sure do have fun playing the multi-player, but my talents definitely don't lie the FPS genre.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    So, I started glancing at the lists of items. If my calculations are correct (and there's some fuzziness here, because the list I looked at was missing like half a dozen of the weapon mods), I've got;
    91/100 commons (just missing a few mods at 5)
    71/180 uncommons (a lot of weapons at 2-3, most of the mods around 2-4)
    38/122 Rares (including the 12 upgrades to gel, missiles, etc)
    1/70 Ultra Rares (just a single Talon)
    1/50 N7 Weekend Weapons (like everyone else who participated, of course)

What's baffling is that I appear to be outright missing two uncommon weapons (Raptor and Vindicator). I mean, I'm sure it's totally plausible, but wow.

That in mind, I might just have to go back to heavy Veteran packs, but I might stick with Spectres anyway in the hopes that they'll eventually make that special double-uncommon Veteran pack available again.

The double veteran was the best. I really hope it comes back soon. two uncommons with a higher chance of a rare and (it seemed anyway) good chances for non-equipment commons too, they were really nice. I'd usually get 3 actual upgrades in most packs.

Cheaper than 2 Vet packs and overall better rewards.

Unless you're hard pressed for equipment. Then you could be out of luck.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Rubick wrote: »
    So I just successfully completed my first silver match. And by "completed" I mean "got revived a couple dozen times and had the second lowest person triple my score." I sure do have fun playing the multi-player, but my talents definitely don't lie the FPS genre.
    Just tell yourself you were utility and that's why you weren't getting kills, etc.

That's what I do!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Yay, finally got my Carnifex.

Now to take my promoted Quarian Infiltrator through Bronze with a Revenant. Dakka Dakka.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I was just coming in here to bitch about that. I thought for all their terribleness, character packs would eventually go away once you maxed out a class so I could actually start unlocking stuff. Nope.

What a cockblock Bioware.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    That's how they make that money. Once they made the option to use real money, they would never let you get everything easily.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hmmm. Carefully timed Warps, Chain Overloads, and Reaves, with similarly careful charges and Novas.... man. I'm gonna have to try that! Not today. Soon.

It's really kind of funny how much Shepard's abilities and armor make certain strategies tenable in single player that would never pass muster in multiplayer. In single player I had like +108% cooldown bonus carrying the Claymore V. Shit yes. YES. Add in more and better damage bonuses for pretty much everything, easy access to more effective ammo powers...

Single player is fun because of how complex and varied your builds can get. Multiplayer is fun because you have to work within the limitations of someone who isn't Commander Shepard, but who is so bad-ass you kind of forget how much more bad-ass Shepard is. Enemies on Gold are exactly as strong as enemies on Insanity! Maybe even weaker, later in Insanity. But Shepard does not give a shit about those enemies.

i find vanguard a lot more fun in multi than in singleplayer

because in singleplayer the vanguard invincibility frames are FUCKED UP

i've died mid-charge countless times

not at the end of charge

DURING CHARGE

it's fucked up, and i'd gladly trade time dilation bullshit for the multiplayer vanguard mechanics

This has never ever, ever ever, ever ever happened to me, not once.

I am goign to blame

Your graphics card

play on insanity and it's like the enemies will kill through frames where you should be untouchable

i've died to GUNFIRE while mid-nova

invincibility frames MY ASS.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Friend of mine tells me he's in a game with someone that has a Paladin X

So jelly :(

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I was just coming in here to bitch about that. I thought for all their terribleness, character packs would eventually go away once you maxed out a class so I could actually start unlocking stuff. Nope.

What a cockblock Bioware.

There is a small benefit to it; if you save up a ton of credits and then buy packs after promoting some classes (say you're batshit crazy and did all 6 at once), those 100k exp cards jump you from level 1 to 5 or 6. It basically removes the need to even do that first Bronze before you're rolling in a good number of points. Even a silver for 50k puts you at level 3 or 4 (a cursory google search doesn't easily indicate the level exp requirements, but I think 2 is around 12k, 3 is 25k more, etc).

Depending on how you look at it, that could save you hours of early bronzes or of being mostly dead weight on Silver if you have friends that don't care you die when something sneezes at you.

But yeah, if it's a class you've got at 20 and you don't give a shit about the customization options? They're pretty worthless after getting the 4 uncommon and 4 rare unlocks themselves.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It's so funny because they actually upped your chances of getting character cards after people bitched about not getting them during the demo.

And I always knew that would come back to bite people in the ass.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Another day, another Spectre Pack, another Falcon.

Seriously, Falcon IV now. I suppose they may re-balance it eventually.

I have recently picked up the Widow, Graal, and I think my GPS is up to II or III. And I got a Paladin in a Spectre pack. So I guess I can't complain about not getting some good picks. It's just... I really wanted that Quarian Engineer. I thought it was my time, you know?

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Friend of mine tells me he's in a game with someone that has a Paladin X

So jelly :(

I don't even want to imagine how much time/money that person has spent to get a Paladin X. I've got a Paladin I and I've spent way too much time and money in ME3 Multi. One of my friends hates my guts because I have a Carnifex II. And a GPS VI.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the falcon is still kind of fun to mess around with; I load it up on bronze from time to time

even before it got nerfed I wouldn't say it was terribly overpowered though; it was always kind of awkward to use and had a really limited ammo capacity

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The reason the Falcon was OP pre-patch was basically because you could stunlock almost every enemy in the game for free. Why they nerfed the fire rate.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Played a Silver last night with a guy with a Carnifex IX.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I think I saw someone with both a Widow X and a Carnifex X.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

Probably Curly. :p

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ha ha ha. I'm so glad I turned on subtitles for my second run.

Cerberus base spoilers
    Garrus: "Just like Cerberus to bring a knife to a gun fight!"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Someone at the SomethingAwful forums seems to have figured out why (ending spoilers):
    Joker turns around to look at the explosion for no reason.

nap.app wrote:
    So, uh, I think I figured out why Joker looks back in the ending...

links to gifs -

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

It looks to me like they reused the "Joker does things at the controls" animation from ME2 (collector ship mission, he's looking at Shepard running onto the Normandy)

Kill me.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

Probably Curly. :p

nah, scorpion and valiant 4 lyfe

also the graal is scary great at everything except guardians

but they ain't shit so it's pretty much scary great at everything

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Lemming wrote: »
    Someone at the SomethingAwful forums seems to have figured out why (ending spoilers):

nap.app wrote:

links to gifs -

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

It looks to me like they reused the "Joker does things at the controls" animation from ME2 (collector ship mission, he's looking at Shepard running onto the Normandy)

Kill me.

god damnit.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Should I, as an infiltrator, stick to sniping, or sneaky shotguns?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I specced as a sniper, and I liked it. The only thing that kinda stunk was that I tended to stray a bit further from the group that I typically like to do.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

nap.app wrote:

links to gifs -

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Kill me.

god damnit.

Oh, Bioware.

Got kind of lazy didn't we?

• Options
    i prefer to think that's not joker piloting under pressure

but rather he's hurriedly hiding those extranet tabs before shepard can see

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

nap.app wrote:

links to gifs -

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Kill me.

god damnit.

Oh, Bioware.

Got kind of lazy didn't we?

More fuel for the indoc theory, I guess.
    See, this isn't really happening! This is Shepard just remembering things that happened before and rearranging them in a dreamlike way!

Sigh.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the fact that everybody has the same body type and uses the same animations is proof that the whole series is a dream

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the fact that everybody has the same body type and uses the same animations is proof that the whole series is a dream

It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that
    what the fuck is he turning around to look at, it's completely stupid. OH NO THE EXPLOSION IS GAINING ON US better look down this hallway. Hi Traynor!

• Options
    You know, the more I play it, the more I see the cracks in this game, other than just the ending. Like, I know a lot of people complained that the guns in ME2 were not modable enough, or there weren't enough guns or whatever. But at least in that game I tried most if not all guns, and it was a lot of fun to do so. In ME3, the penalty for carrying certain weapons is so high, there's been no reason for me to experiment, period. I did do a bronze match earlier today with some PA folk who were tolerant of me trying a lvl 1 Claymore on my Vanguard (severely crippling my ability to charge because of its weight), but there's no reason for me go through a few SP missions with the Claymore, or with any new weapon, because I have to keep things light and powers are way more useful. Although the disciple was a very nice addition to the gun set and a cool way to counter that problem. I guess it appeases the "RPGs aren't RPGs unless they involve a tedious amount of stats" group, but man.

Also, I didn't realize it before, but it seems like the amount of missions in ME3 is pretty low. There are the ambient dialog things where you go and scan, or maybe you talk to one person in the Citadel, and then talk to someone else, and I did like those and think they were a nice addition to the gameplay. But I do find myself missing the plentiful N7 missions that ME2 had. For me, it was: ME1 has entirely too many missions; ME2 has just the right amount of missions; ME3 has entirely too few missions.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It makes perfect sense to me. He's looking behind himself thinking
    WHAT THE SHIT? Weren't you two on the ground with Shepard 5 minutes ago? How did you get on board?

• Options
    He's actually turning back with an accusatory look at
    the writers.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »

It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that
    what the fuck is he turning around to look at, it's completely stupid. OH NO THE EXPLOSION IS GAINING ON US better look down this hallway. Hi Traynor!
    He's probably checking to see if the rest of the crew is doing and if they're dead or not. Like he did during the ME2 attack.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I continue to be bemused at how people use the bad ending as an excuse to get caught up over the most minor shit in the world.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In ME2, I liked that you got a chance to choose one weapon your class can't normally use. I picked the sniper rifle, and it was a fun thing to have as a Vanguard, for situations where I just didn't feel like charging in suicidally. I actually got to like it so much, I started out trying to carry a sniper rifle, shotgun, and pistol at the same time in ME3. I realized that was dumb pretty fast and switched to shotgunsniping with the Graal, but I missed that cool little extra "my Vanguard is different than all other Vanguards" thing I felt I got from getting the choice in ME2.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    In ME2, I liked that you got a chance to choose one weapon your class can't normally use. I picked the sniper rifle, and it was a fun thing to have as a Vanguard, for situations where I just didn't feel like charging in suicidally. I actually got to like it so much, I started out trying to carry a sniper rifle, shotgun, and pistol at the same time in ME3. I realized that was dumb pretty fast and switched to shotgunsniping with the Graal, but I missed that cool little extra "my Vanguard is different than all other Vanguards" thing I felt I got from getting the choice in ME2.

I

I don't understand

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ok, ok, I really don't like the ending either, but really? A reused animation is the subject of ire? Come on now, there's plenty of legitimate things to beat the dead horse with.. :P

EDIT: Just to be clear, I AM half-joking, and I'm not meaning to insult anyone. I'm just a bit surprised at how far some people are taking this stuff. I'm sure most people here are just being facetious anyway, but I wanted to rant, damn it!

Neco on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    masseffect3.jpg

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    joshgotro wrote: »
    The problem with Soldier is that the good race for Soldier can't FUCKING ROLL.

EDIT: GRRRRRROAROAMNRKLRL:LKDJ;lkjadsf;lkjasfd;lkkasd

With that in mind I need to get one to 20 again to remind me why everything else is so much better.

Psssssh. Battlefield 3 is the best soldier class under these conditions:

1. Your team has human engineers or a Salarian infiltrator to strip shields with the quickness.
    2. You rock Incendiary Ammo on something like the Carnifex or something that'll give you at least +110% recharge.
    3. You max out Carnage (Damage/Recharge Speed/Incapacitate).
    4. You max out Frag Grenades (Damage/Max Grenades/Armor-Piercing).

Land a couple of shots, get 'em toasty and let the tracking Carnage cause a Fire Explosion. Frag Grenade plus some toasty dudes from Incendiary Ammo? Awesome way to clear out a group. Battlefield 3 soldier is nasty with an engineer wreckin' shields and especially nasty with an Adept warping armor effectiveness down to nothing.

P.S. Soldier is probably my least favorite class to play, but I still love it.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.