Options

It's Mr. [chat] with Bob and David

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    @Element_Brian, have you ever had the chance to read The History of the Church by Joseph Smith?

Like..the huge 8 volume library history of the church? I wish. But I don't even have the time to do my history reading half the time.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    God, Romney is so full of crap all the time.

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

I'm hoping for a Bartlett debate moment.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    And I apologize for my combativeness @Element_Brian. I had many long years in Mormonism that drove me up the fucking wall and the choice I had was either to not ask anymore questions and be a happy follower or to continue to ask questions and lose the most important people to me at the time. I chose the latter.

But to address your answer, the idea that the church could not handle being good to blacks in a racist century is silly considering they practiced polygamy, which was arguably a far bigger slight than being nice to African-Americans was.

Dude, i understand, trust me. I mean..I'm a liberal mormon at BYU. Half the time I feel like I'm more pro-womans rights that some of the girls I talk to, so i get pissed off and annoyed too. And like I said at the beginning of this, i can see why people have a problem with the church, for example with blacks and the priesthood, or with Prop 8, which I don't even agree with.

The problems I do have are when people like Lawrence O'donnel make up complete bull shit that that isn't even close to historically accurate.

And what's interesting is how you and I draw our lines differently. If I was still involved, Prop 8 would have been the straw that broke the already weak camel's back. Especially because the church leadership was so eagerly behind it, touting the God's law banner.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I really like Firefly but I'm still embarrassed by how it's revered.

I'll agree to this. I suggest people watch it because it's a good show, but it isn't a perfect show and it has flaws. Big flaws. With flapjacks. And hookers.

I didn't really like the hooker episode. Maybe if the series hadn't been canceled it would have been a great bit of character development that paid off later on, but with what we had, I was like

Eh

Whores

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i refuse to watch babylon 5, firefly, or battlestar galactica

they are all the same nerdy show in my head and i won't deign to learn their unique identities

The only thing in common they have are rapid fanbases. They are all extremely different. You should read their wiki's to learn what you're missing. (Though you can avoid Babylon 5's last season. No-one liked that.)

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hakkekage wrote: »

they are all the same nerdy show in my head and i won't deign to learn their unique identities

I know they already cut the tip of your wiener off but I'm offering to trim it even further with a paring knife if you don't rectify this immediately

i can't tell if you gravely misunderstand me or you're a terrible negotiator

• Options

I know they already cut the tip of your wiener off but I'm offering to trim it even further with a paring knife if you don't rectify this immediately

i can't tell if you gravely misunderstand me or you're a terrible negotiator

Nichu, nichu, nichu

Can't it be both?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Who is talking negative of ladies of the evening.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    If you haven't seen Firefly, you're doing it wrong.

I watched 8 episodes and loved it so much I stopped watching because... I knew it wouldn't go on. I was pretty sad knowing going in that there was only one season and a movie. :(

• Options
    @Element_Brian, have you ever had the chance to read The History of the Church by Joseph Smith?

Like..the huge 8 volume library history of the church? I wish. But I don't even have the time to do my history reading half the time.

Yup, that's it. Give it a shot sometime. Lots of stuff in there that was cleaned up for Sunday School.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I watched 8 episodes and loved it so much I stopped watching because... I knew it wouldn't go on. I was pretty sad knowing going in that there was only one season and a movie. :(

And a comic book

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I can't tell what town I live in.

Or if I even live in a town.

Well in Virginia, if you live in an unincorporated area, it's not a town, since Virginia towns are municipalities. Not so sure about Maryland.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    @Organichu "space western" is the perfect idea. You shut your whore mouth.

• Options

Spool, if you didn't meet Jubal Early, and you didn't, then you need to watch that episode. It's the last one.

Sample dialogue from this creepy motherfucker:
    Simon: Are you Alliance?
    Jubal Early: Am I a lion? I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I do have a mighty roar.

• Options
    Cowboy Bebop was a very good space western.

• Options
    I personally loved Jaynetown.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

I want to see Mittens pull one of this blatant lies out in front of him, watch Obama crack a smile, and then verbally and intellectually destroy him in the politest way possible.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I want to see Mittens pull one of this blatant lies out in front of him, watch Obama crack a smile, and then verbally and intellectually destroy him in the politest way possible.

Ditto.

Romney's continual lying and expecting the press to not call him on it is maddening.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I really like Firefly but I'm still embarrassed by how it's revered.

Right Sarks only worships at the altar of the shai-hulud

DRINK WATER OF LIFE ERRDAY

• Options

I think Obama's going to overplay his hand and get burned. It's going to be an interesting few months.

• Options
    I personally loved Jaynetown.

The hero of Canton

the man they call JAYNE!

• Options
    I hope Obama gets up there on that first debate and personally thanks Romney for the idea behind obamacare.

• Options
    @Hakkekage, long time no see! Still gassy? :P

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    this salsa has some kick for a medium salsa

nice!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

pissy now

I alternate between gassy and pissy with alarming frequency

• Options
    We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    this salsa has some kick for a medium salsa

nice!

This post is interesting for a Poldy post!

• Options

pissy now

I alternate between gassy and pissy with alarming frequency

I just drank a two liter bottle of Coke Zero. I will probably be of similar status soon.

• Options
    We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.

:^:

• Options
    Jaynetown was a great episode. :)

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I think Obama's going to overplay his hand and get burned. It's going to be an interesting few months.

Care to explain how? What does "overplay his hand" mean? All he has to do is point out the abject dishonesty of the things Romney is saying about Obama's record, Romney's own record, and recorded history.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    And I apologize for my combativeness @Element_Brian. I had many long years in Mormonism that drove me up the fucking wall and the choice I had was either to not ask anymore questions and be a happy follower or to continue to ask questions and lose the most important people to me at the time. I chose the latter.

But to address your answer, the idea that the church could not handle being good to blacks in a racist century is silly considering they practiced polygamy, which was arguably a far bigger slight than being nice to African-Americans was.

Dude, i understand, trust me. I mean..I'm a liberal mormon at BYU. Half the time I feel like I'm more pro-womans rights that some of the girls I talk to, so i get pissed off and annoyed too. And like I said at the beginning of this, i can see why people have a problem with the church, for example with blacks and the priesthood, or with Prop 8, which I don't even agree with.

The problems I do have are when people like Lawrence O'donnel make up complete bull shit that that isn't even close to historically accurate.

And what's interesting is how you and I draw our lines differently. If I was still involved, Prop 8 would have been the straw that broke the already weak camel's back. Especially because the church leadership was so eagerly behind it, touting the God's law banner.

It practically did with me, but, theres so many things going on that keep me in, and its not guilt by my family, trust me. My sister left the church but as my mom puts it, "she left the church, but at least she didn't vote for OBAMA."

I've talked to professors about it, and I've read articles by members of the Seventy who have said it's ok to not agree with Prop 8. It's still a touchy subject for me, but one that, honestly I think has to do more with culture than with the actual doctrine of the church.

Arch,
  • Options
    Also everything republicans would like to do to women the poor and the supreme court if romney is president. Yeah there are more than enough reasons not to vote republican for independents right now.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

And Romney will just say "Well that is your opinion, blah, blah, blah, Regan, Jesus, and I go bowling all the time yo."

And his supporters will love him for that.

Obama did a point by point break down of why the Republican budget is terrible. The next day the talking heads are asked "What did the President get wrong?"

The answer was "Well I FEEL that he was wrong about x,y,z." They don't have to engage in facts and it's an acceptable tactic. If you call them on it (Dem or Rep) they just act as if you are being a bully for demanding they talk sense. "How dare I be made to base my bullshit on reality!"

(I have strong feelings on what passes for debate these days)

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Romney is a pretty good bowler, apparently.

• Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Also everything republicans would like to do to women the poor and the supreme court if romney is president. Yeah there are more than enough reasons not to vote republican for independents right now.

I don't know what you're talking about we have to stop all the whores from whoring around with their whore pills and their whore vaginas

• Options
    Romney is a pretty good bowler, apparently.

It's a mormon thing.

Seriously. Dating where you have to come up with activities other than sex, and then family home evening every monday night? So much bowling...so much.

I hate bowling.

Arch,
  • Options

It practically did with me, but, theres so many things going on that keep me in, and its not guilt by my family, trust me. My sister left the church but as my mom puts it, "she left the church, but at least she didn't vote for OBAMA."

I've talked to professors about it, and I've read articles by members of the Seventy who have said it's ok to not agree with Prop 8. It's still a touchy subject for me, but one that, honestly I think has to do more with culture than with the actual doctrine of the church.

But isn't that the rub? It's like all the free agency arguments that I used to hear about how "you have free agency to choose what you want, but you should choose what we say, because we're right."

The Prop 8 justification was so similar. "You are free to disagree with it, but the church's position is this, and if you disagree with the church, well, we won't outright say you're wrong..."

• Options

Care to explain how? What does "overplay his hand" mean? All he has to do is point out the abject dishonesty of the things Romney is saying about Obama's record, Romney's own record, and recorded history.

I think he's going to get overconfident and end up coming off as condescending, opening himself up to a series of policy-related jabs that he can't really answer well because he's off in Superiorville (and because they were bad policy - Gunwalker springs to mind). There will be no unchecked "seas receding" and so forth in this campaign - Romney has the money to mangle the President for that crap, and the media space is different.

• Options

But isn't that the rub? It's like all the free agency arguments that I used to hear about how "you have free agency to choose what you want, but you should choose what we say, because we're right."

The Prop 8 justification was so similar. "You are free to disagree with it, but the church's position is this, and if you disagree with the church, well, we won't outright say you're wrong..."

Money is speech now, so it was pretty much outright

This discussion has been closed.