As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Thors, and research the cannons so he can't get them feedbacked!

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Marine/Tank until Collosi are out and MMMVG is not 'a wealth of options'.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There are plenty of cool units for Terran, but you need an army bulk. in TvP, the only units that are really effective as army bulk are bio.

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i dont think tvp is particularly unbalanced

its just extremely boring and stupid for both players

Doesn't that apply to basically every protoss matchup in SC2?

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    pvp is fun now

pvz can be fun if you're not too intent on winning, otherwise you have to play boring crap

toss is dumb and boring

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    I like pvz.
    The most satisfying thing pvt is doing the feedback trap.

Place a templar at each drop location and let the terran scout you are moving out.
    Step 2 is having your different templars on hotkeys and watch the minimap as you walk out, they always fall for it.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i dont think tvp is particularly unbalanced

its just extremely boring and stupid for both players

Doesn't that apply to basically every protoss matchup in SC2?

pretty much.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just lost a PvT

I thought that banshees, marines and vikings was a super weird combination, but I just assumed the banshees were for some heavy harass and the vikings were for protecting against anticipated colossi.

Nope! He was cleverer than I thought. After losing two stalker armies, which I expected would eat the banshees up, it turns out his raven was spotting for my observers while the vikings automatically took them out. Then the cloaked banshees were free to tear me apart. Did not expect that! It was an interesting change from MMM.

Occasionally I have been attacked by marine/tank/a thor or two but it never works.

edit: oh and he turreted most of his main so I didn't get an observer in to see he was building ravens. Cheeky!

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Funny you should mention that Marty because...
    I was that Terran MUHAUHUAHUAUHAHIOUG

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    theSquid wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that Marty because...
    I was that Terran MUHAUHUAHUAUHAHIOUG
    1332397100700.jpg

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    It's like the end of Ender's Game

All these ladder opponents

They're all just Squid, with his many accounts, searching the ladder every time I come online

Devious!

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    you will learn your place

much like fin just did, which makes me so happy

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We can call Fin losing over and over the "Mouse in the Room".

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Fin is clearly the exception that proves the rule, no?

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    Do tell, what Tier 3 Terran units do you believe he should be building? Thors or Battlecruisers?

Don't be fucking obtuse. Literally nothing but MMM ever is stupid as shit. There are a positive wealth of options for Terran to choose from, but oh hey you don't really need them because m2 s m2 s m2 s m2 s t m2 s m2 s m2 s m2 s

this is kinda true, the other tier 1 armies, are either all gateway units, or sling/ling/bane/roach. gateway units can be countered by a much larger mass of units as they're ineffective at killing off large quantities of units (hence reliance on collosus & storms), and zerg tier 1 is countered by armored units, units that do extra damage to armored units, units that don't let lings close enough to get a surround, or things that fly.

a mass of MMM? good luck getting close enough to do any damage, no matter the tier. Infestors + sling/bane surrounds, yeh, it works but is far higher on the tech ladder, and requires pretty good infestor control to not accidentally the whole festors to stimmed marines. So, maybe if you survive to hive/festors/broods you have a shot, but it again required pretty immaculate control compared to Stim-A-Moving them towards the units that are deal damage.

Mind you, statisticaly TvZ is my best matchup, as gathered by SC2Gears. My main goal is to keep the marine count down. Still no cure for thor/hellion, although i am beginning to come around to the idea of "build a roach warren early, they're cheap, you don't need to actually make roaches, but when you need to you don't want to wait until the warren builds"

I'd describe PvZ as most "volatile", and not any of the mirror matches. There are clear windows of dominance for each side during any game, and it comes down to who can exploit their hole better.

It looks like sling/roach (majority of army)/hydra (insurance purposes, at least get the den, it's cheap and comes in handy vs air play and blink stalker all ins), Infestor, (corruptor) Brood is the standard tech progression against protoss. Roach/Ling wins until mass blink stalkers, or collosus are out (or storm, but that's a long time away). Hydras take care of gateway & air armies completely, and you hope to have infestors or corruptors when heavy collosus play comes out.

ZvZ has been best described by our friend @Callow "you're in the thunderdome, 6 inches from each other, with a dazzling array of weaponry on the walls, but you're both starting with chopsticks". It's not that its indescipherable, its that its very stressful, and a small mistake like "i made 5 drones that should have been roaches" will literally cost you the game.

anyway - i think that i'm going to roll random on my smurf. mostly for exploration of the game, any suggestions as to keyboard layouts, or "go with the grid" is best here?

• Options
    If you actually legitimately lose to a Terran who amoves his stimmed Bio and wins, either you made a fundamental error earlier in the game and that is the real reason you lost, or your opponent outclasses you by a lot.

I honestly don't know where this "amove teran lolz" idea comes from. If there is one race in this game that suffers the most loss of unit performance when amoving, it's Terran yo.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Yeah, seriously. There's some a-moving in TvP, but to a-move in TvZ and TvT is a death sentence.

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    There's something about getting the top right spawn on Korhal. It always makes me feel like the map is upside-down. It really throws me off in the beginning.

• Options
    I think Stephano needs better people to practice against. I think he'd be unstoppable if he practiced against korean pros instead of just stomping on people on ladder

ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    Didn't he go to Korea for a bit? I think he said he didn't enjoy the team house environment.

This may all be my imagination, can't find anything on Liquipedia about it.

• Options
    Didn't he go to Korea for a bit? I think he said he didn't enjoy the team house environment.

This may all be my imagination, can't find anything on Liquipedia about it.

He should play on the Korean ladder from his home in France. Team houses in Korea probably do suck-- especially for someone like Stephano who doesn't take the game as serious as everyone else does.

ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    mastman wrote: »
    I think Stephano needs better people to practice against. I think he'd be unstoppable if he practiced against korean pros instead of just stomping on people on ladder

I've been saying for awhile now that the reason Stephano struggles against the top tier Korean pros is because he doesn't have any good practice partners.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    demoted to plat this season

this is actually it. Fuck this game, fuck this life, I'm done.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    jaziek wrote: »

don't lose hope jaziek. Perhaps we can watch a game or two and remind you of some basics and habits you've forgotten since you've been diamond. I bet it's just a couple little things that you're forgetting to do.

ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    It's easy to forget the reason we play this game sometimes.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular

Sucks to be you... Oh wait, I'm plat. Crap.

• Options

The only solution is harakiri.

• Options
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=328391

Developer update for HotS. Shredder and replicant are out, warhound is on the verge of being cut. Terran might be getting an anti-air spider mine. Viper gets an AoE blind ability and can recharge energy by feeding on minerals.

• Options
    We are also experimenting with an extremely long-ranged terran missile launcher that can be used to break siege tank lines to make terran-vs.-terran factory-based games more dynamic.
    Isn't that Nukes?

• Options
    edited April 2012

The only solution is harakiri.

Seriously? Can't I just change my name, have radical reconstructive surgery, and move to some third world country that doesn't have the internet? Harakiri seems like overkill.

Edit: Shredder is out? I'm so happy.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    sounds like they want two versions of siege tanks.. that will make tank lines endless?

• Options
    We are also experimenting with an extremely long-ranged terran missile launcher that can be used to break siege tank lines to make terran-vs.-terran factory-based games more dynamic.
    Isn't that Nukes?

I don't get this, TvT is already a very dynamic match-up.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I hate to be the "You should quit this game." kind of guy.
    But maybe it is the right decision, for you specifically it seems to stress you out too much for something you do to I assume have fun and relax.

• Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Isn't that Nukes?

TvT is my least favorite matchup to watch. So slow.
    except when MarineKingPrime plays

• Options
    Oh, that post doesn't quote the entire thing. Overseers are back, the tempest has turned into a 'very long ranged aerial siege weapon that can strike both air and ground targets', and Zerg might be getting different types of nyduses.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4055889/Developer_Update_Heart_of_the_Swarm_Multiplayer_-11_04_2012#blog
    I am listening to When I'm Grandmaster while writing this. If you want the full experience, open up a tab in your browser and listen to this while reading.
    We are currently working nonstop on StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (and Blizzard DOTA) and hope to be able to get Heart of the Swarm out to the public to see sometime in the near future. While we believe we have some great things lined up for the single-player campaign, I wanted to take some time to give you an update on the recent changes and what cool things we have in store for multiplayer.
    Terrans
    Terrans have undergone significant changes since we talked about them at BlizzCon. We have not kept the shredder, and even the warhound is in contention. The shredder was very confusing for players as well as being something that was easily used to kill a large number of workers with little to no warning. It was rarely used for its intended role of map control. The warhound still feels a little too much like a small thor, which is just not new enough to give terran players new strategies. We are still experimenting with a wide range of units, particularly from the factory, which we think is a little light on options. We have had a great deal of trouble with the terrans largely because they are such a flexible and effective race in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. We want to provide terran players with new strategies, however, so we will continue to work on them.
    If we keep the Thor, we are currently experimenting with an anti-air spider mine that would give the terrans a way to get some factory-built anti-air into small places that a Thor has trouble reaching (like near your minerals). Whether this is meaningful, considering terrans have marines, is still in question. We are also experimenting with an extremely long-ranged terran missile launcher that can be used to break siege tank lines to make terran-vs.-terran factory-based games more dynamic.
    Protoss
    Protoss have gone through some changes since BlizzCon as well. The oracle is still in and functioning as a protoss raider (as intended) that can give the protoss some reach in the mid-game to disrupt enemy plans. The replicant has been cut. He was causing enemy players to not build certain unit types and was actually removing diversity from the game instead of adding diversity.
    The tempest was a powerful splash anti-air capital ship at BlizzCon. With the addition of the range upgrade on phoenix in Wings of Liberty we no longer feel like a splash anti-air weapon is necessary on the protoss, but we would still like to give the protoss some additional firepower in the air. The tempest is currently a very long-ranged aerial siege weapon that can strike both air and ground targets. This gives the protoss army some real reach to force an engagement on their terms in the end-game.
    We’re also experimenting with some nexus abilities. One example is a mass recall that allows the protoss to be more aggressive. They can move out onto the map with their slower sentry/zealot force and, if things don’t work out, recall the force back to their base if and when things go wrong.
    Zerg
    Zerg are the most stable and largely unchanged since BlizzCon. The swarm host is still serving well as a zerg siege unit that can burrow and pressure the enemy from a distance (in a very zergy way), but the viper has some slightly different new abilities. In addition to Abduct, the viper also has the ability to blind biological units in an area of effect. Blinded units have their range reduced to 1. This is obviously effective against terran infantry as well as zerg roach and hydra armies. The viper can also regain energy by feeding off of minerals. This locks up the mineral patch and prevents it from being harvested, so you want to use this ability away from your base.
    We have decided to keep the overseer and make the viper a pure caster. We will be taking a look at the overseer to see what we can do to make his abilities more interesting.
    We are also trying some additional abilities on the nydus network to allow you to spawn different types of nydus worms. The most interesting worms have been a worm that can spew creep across several screens to create a zerg assault highway, as well as a worm that attacks only enemy buildings, meant to be used as a ground-based zerg base raider.
    We have some more work to do before we’re ready to begin beta testing Heart of the Swarm. We know that everybody wants a date for when they can play, and we know how important it is to get this out in front of the community as soon as possible. We’re working on it.

Possible nydus worm changes? Hell yes.

EDIT woops, already linked. was still a page back for some reason.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Isn't that Nukes?

For me it's usually Marine/Tank or you die.

But that might be because I'm bad.

EDIT: Also, I'm sad the Shredder is out. I liked the idea.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »
    Lessons still available! Sup.

I would like some, sometime.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    not reading the thread still catching up on last night ummmm wow some of these tvps are really fucking depressing.

30, 40, 50 supply deficit, no worries bro.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Isn't that Nukes?

It's probably intended for lower level play. There's actually not that much moving around in my TvTs, neither of us has the multi-tasking to properly control Marine/Tank outside of setting up siege lines and slow pushing with Vikings and Scan.

I do find it funny that they're basically saying "Long-range units lead to games that are too static, so we're adding more long-range units to mix it up".