As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    That wasn't drugs. It was hot sauce.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Was there two new episodes of Regular Time or had I just not seen the pregnant model one before now?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Was there two new episodes of Regular Time or had I just not seen the pregnant model one before now?

The pregnant model one premiered a while ago.

BTW, I can't wait for new Adventure Shows.

• Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Yeah. Right.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ah, the Dark Savior hot sauce.

• Options
    I'm skipping around an interview with J.G. Quintel (Regular Show's creator) right now. According to him, Cartoon Network was intentionally trying to attract an older demographic when Regular Show first came out (I guess that's why they got away with words like "pissed" in the first season; seriously, hearing that on Cartoon Network blew my mind).

Interviewer: "How did you trick Cartoon Network's executives into thinking your show was for children?"
    Quintel: "Smoke and mirrors."

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Regular Show is the best animated anything going on right now.

So much better then Adventure Time I will fight you!

• Options
    The issue i have with both AT and RS is that they have so many airings my DVR can overwrite the new episode before I take time to watch it.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Just found out a new season of Deathlok is starting April 29th. So awesome.

I really have not seen it in years I think 5 years I too was suprised and my brother exclaimed About time

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

...?

Oh. Oh. Dethklok, the Metalocalypse band. You are talking about Metalocalypse.

Not Deathlok, Marvel's tormented cyborg demolisher. He has no new seasons. He has no show at all.

/single tear

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

...?

Not Deathlok, Marvel's tormented cyborg demolisher. He has no new seasons. He has no show at all.

/single tear

Lol. Yeah, I wasn't sure how to spell it since its been so long since I talked about the show.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Is the third season album out yet? I gotta get that hamburger time song on my phone.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Last I heard Small skipped doing that one to work on his own stuff.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Last I heard Small skipped doing that one to work on his own stuff.

son of a b... I can't enjoy the sub par tv rips of Why you Drink, it doesn't do it justice.

• Options
    no talk of young justice? wtf

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

...?

/single tear

That looks terrible. He looks like a Michael Bay fetish gimp.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hush up your mouth. Deathlok is awesome.

MTIO26_Deathlok.JPG

• Options
    no talk of young justice? wtf

Yeah, YJ is great. I love how every DC cartoon creative team basically lies about the premise to start with.

"No no, 4-5 heroes and a villain every week, max. Easy."

One season later, fifty heroes and villains from every corner of the DC universe, every episode. Love it.
    Vandal Savage seems to be turning up a in a big way. He was the villain of the last animated film, and he's the big bad in YJ.

I wonder if they're trying to raise his popularity for something...

Also loved Green Lantern - showed a modified version of the Red Lantern theme that I think is better than the comic version. Also their design for Bleez is better. Most things about the Red Lanterns are better, actually.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Very cool ep of Young Justice. I loved how
    The team all acted like they're starting to mature. They're acting like their counterparts in the League, trusting each other, forgiving each others' weaknesses and foibles. And when people act like grown-ups, suddenly three running subplots get resolved in one scene.

Fucking fantastic. It's nice when you get mature writing out of shows aimed at kids that writers on supposedly adult-aimed shows wouldn't dare try.

And then the ending scene, out of left field. Just awesome. I have a sudden desire to rewatch every previous episode to see if Red Arrow explicitly knew what the team was up to each time they got betrayed.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    The last two episodes, especially the last one, were fantastic. If the second season keeps this up, or antes it further, I will put this on the same pedestal as JL / JLU

Also, hoping that villain comes back
    That was a good version of Parasite. Good design, still kept a lot of what he was like in S:TaS

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The last two episodes, especially the last one, were fantastic. If the second season keeps this up, or antes it further, I will put this on the same pedestal as JL / JLU

That was a good version of Parasite. Good design, still kept a lot of what he was like in S:TaS
    Parasite was pretty cool. The Riddler? Meh, not so much. Definitely preferred the Riddler from B:TAS.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Parasite was pretty cool. The Riddler? Meh, not so much. Definitely preferred the Riddler from B:TAS.
    Yeah. He played his part for a couple episodes okay, but he can disappear back to Arkham now

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah. He played his part for a couple episodes okay, but he can disappear back to Arkham now
    He's a Belle Reve type, not an Arkham type! Also yeah I hate his YJ design.

Opty on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Young Justice
    Unfortunately I had seen the spoiler of Roy being the mole but I was surprised to see that he wasn't a willing mole. I'm curious to know if him being the mole has anything to do with Cadmus because of the Guardian's presence there.

Speculation-wise maybe it is from just having watched Justice League: Doom but I'm wondering if Robin is going to make use of of Batman's JLA contingency plans.

• Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    On the one hand, part of me felt that the confession scene was resolved a little too neatly. On the other hand, too many shows would have had the three of them go through with betraying the team, and then learning the error of their ways a couple episodes later. It's very refreshing to see the heroes "man up" to what they were hiding, so they wouldn't put their friends and family at risk, and also using it to turn the tides again the villains.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Regular Show is the best animated anything going on right now.

So much better then Adventure Time I will fight you!

I will fight you back.

Regular Show is too normal. At a base level it follows pretty familiar formulas. Adventure Time, on the other hand, is innovative!

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    What about Korra?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In general I think it's interesting how much cartoon shows these days are really made for adults.

We are living in a post-adult swim society, though.

I think we also realized how easily you can make a cartoon show appeal to adults and have it appeal to children as well. Our cartoon producers are no longer of the mindset that "if I enjoy it, my child will not, quick make it crappier!"

Winky on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    That was an ending with the spiders all right @ Adventure Time.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I prefer Regular Show to Adventure Time, if only because I can somehow relate more to it.

SkutSkut wrote: »
    That was an ending with the spiders all right @ Adventure Time.

Completely unrelated, but I see you've played a ton of Dungeon Defenders recently, unless the thing is just wrong. Is it fun? It's in my backlog and I'm not sure if I should tackle it sooner rather than later.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    So anyone heard about motorcity yet? Titmouse (the studio that makes all sorts of things like you guys like) is in charge. They have some solid animators over there.

tumblr_m2lc6pFfjE1r00g3do1_500.gif

Full first episode is online for free:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/battle-for-motorcity/id517052911?i=517731186&ign-mpt=uo=4

It's pretty sweet.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    In general I think it's interesting how much cartoon shows these days are really made for adults.

We are living in a post-adult swim society, though.

I think we also realized how easily you can make a cartoon show appeal to adults and have it appeal to children as well. Our cartoon producers are no longer of the mindset that "if I enjoy it, my child will not, quick make it crappier!"

well that and fewer shows are treating their audiences like complete idiots. It use to be that it didn't matter what you put on the air, if it's for kids, then you can put what ever you wanted on and didn't have to worry because not much else was on and kids'll watch anything.

Look at my Little Pony, that show would have been a ridiculously cliche "girl cartoon" not more then five years ago.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    but what if I hate iTunes

• Options
    edited April 2012

Futurama-Where-No-Fan-Has-Gone-Before-himself-21.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular

I suggest you download itunes, watch the show, then throw your computer in the trash because it's ruined now.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    NotYou wrote: »
    So anyone heard about motorcity yet? Titmouse (the studio that makes all sorts of things like you guys like) is in charge. They have some solid animators over there.

Full first episode is online for free:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/battle-for-motorcity/id517052911?i=517731186&ign-mpt=uo=4

It's pretty sweet.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs
    George Krstic from Megas XLR worked on this!

THAT GUY HAS A FLAMING EIGHTBALL ON HIS SLEEVE LIKE THE FLAMING EIGHTBALL ON MEGAS'S ARM HOLY CRAP

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You guys should all know that Motorcity is totally fucking awesome.

It is like a combination of every bit of awesome animation in the last 20 years.

The action is super dynamically animated and the art style is like some cross between the gorillaz and clone wars.

There's a scene at the end of the first episode where Mike launches himself at a giant robot and dodges and jumps off of giant bullets being fired at him that is a total homage to FLCL.

Winky on
  • Options
    I'm sorry no matter how awsome the show is and no matter how many people from Megas are working on it, nothing will get me to install iTunes.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I'm sorry no matter how awsome the show is and no matter how many people from Megas are working on it, nothing will get me to install iTunes.

:|

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nothing will ever get me to use Itunes. As there is other ways allthough a pain to do so to get everything they offer

I too had seen justice league doom recently and saw how alike it was to YJ

This discussion has been closed.