As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Awake] CSI Sliders: Parallel universe parenting advice

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So don't we know because we had a scene outside of the view of the main character that:
    Because the scene with the boss talking about the conspiracy was in the universe with the young partner, we know that is the "reality"? And the conspiracy doesnt seem scifi but just 'he knew too much and we had to try to get rid of him'

steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Guys, spoiler rules are in the OP. Please stick to them, otherwise it's pointless if we're all doing different things.

That conspiracy might just be to do with causing his accident, not his split universe thing.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We've had both blue and orange scenes outside Britten's. The bench conspiracy scene was orange, but we've also seen Hannah in Oregon (though vaguely, so that could have been imagined), at the volunteer organization meeting, some other stuff. But in blue, we've seen Rex at the warehouse building the bike with his friend, Rex being kidnapped, Rex at the tennis courts, etc,. Not sure anything can be really drawn from them though.

Edit: Apparently Wikipedia considers them red and green, but fuck that shit. They're blue and orange!

hippofant on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Also, on the "Rex's girlfriend is evil" note: I thought I was imagining it, but I'm glad to see other people thought the same. My sister looked at me like I was crazy when I pointed out (not spoilery, just spoilered for organization)
    1) Nobody really has parents that cool. She's obviously lying to him about that.
    2) She seems really interested in finding out about Britten from Rex -- encouraging him to ask questions about what's bothering his dad, etc.
    3) The paired clues in each episode have always pointed towards significant things in both realities, not just one. The "WILD" ring points towards her.
    4) That hug at the coffeeshop. DANGER, DANGER.

I guess she's involved with the evil conspiracy group?

Here's some things I kinda hope we'll see as the series goes on:
    1) More hallucinations, even if Britten realizes they're hallucinations. I want him to start imagining he's talking to Rex in the red world, and talking to his wife in the blue world. I also really want that fucking penguin to hang around like all the time, it's hilarious.
    2) In the final season, I hope they really go balls-to-the-wall with the reality confusion. Basically, I want him to have another serious accident in each of the realities, and end up surviving in 4 worlds at once for about half of the last season. Then over the course of the last 5 episodes, he can die in 2 of the worlds.
    3) I really don't want him to discover that there's lots of people experiencing the same thing, a la Heroes. It'd be OK if the Gemini Killer is also a "splitter" (a term I'm going to pretend is actually a thing people use). It'd be cliche, but OK.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    It would be boss if they could pull an episode off where it takes place in two worlds, but we dont know which is which.

And good point, I forgot we are getting outside scenes with characters in both worlds, so that throws everything I had out.

steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Previously, we saw the police chief talking about the conspiracy in the Orange World, right? I'm not sure if I'm misremembering. But having all of that stuff just on one side seems to be pointing to it not being about his split universe problem but something else (to do with his accident).

I like the growing signs of his own mental breakdown too (first getting confused about which side things happened on, now hearing messages from the Taco guy).

So, I'm guessing that the move is going to be the series finale. It's also giving unexpected weight to the idea that he is just insane and has invented a fantasy to keep his wife/son alive.

Although then they'd need to explain how he's solving crimes by following random cues from the other side.

edited April 2012
    I think the move is the issue he has to resolve for the season. They will find a reason at the last moment to not move (unless the series is not getting renewed).

Last episode was interesting, because it was him learning to harvest what he saw in both worlds himself. He took information from one and used it to resolve something in his orange world.

Also I don't know about the "we can always just buy more shit" excuse with throwing out stuff like the mix tape. I was never ever sentimental about items like that, but people always hark on me for just junking stuff like that. I generally have to ask "Is x enough time passed that I can throw this shit out?" to a third party. Him finding the song and keeping the song was a good compromise though. The fact that shes trashing stuff that belonged to them (I guess they got rid of the sons stuff already) is kind of a warning sign. If she wants to leave a house because it reminds her of their son and she wants a fresh start, how should he take her trashing stuff from their relationships?

Edit: I feel like you and me Mojo are the only ones watching. Could be that there isn't much to discuss with this series, and they could be in the process of painting themselves into a corner of not being able to explain everything. If we get an American 'life on mars' ending I will set things on fire.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I have been watching the whole time, but didn't see a thread until just now.

Unfortunately, in retrospect, it seems like a lot of us have been reading wayyy too much into this show. And it's almost certain to be canceled after the season ends in a few more weeks.

"Who lives in Oregon?"

The Gemini Killer, that's who. It's where his plane was headed at the end of his episode.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    "Who lives in Oregon?"

The Gemini Killer, that's who. It's where his plane was headed at the end of his episode.
    I had entirely forgotten about that. The Gemini Killer knows the whole "Brittan is a slider" thing too, doesn't he?

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    "Who lives in Oregon?"

I had entirely forgotten about that. The Gemini Killer knows the whole "Brittan is a slider" thing too, doesn't he?

Yeah, although he just thinks Brittan is crazy like him.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    I hope something comes of that. There's real potential for that relationship going somewhere interesting.

I imagine that will be part of the finale.

I hope Killen can give us some closure at the end of the season.

Then I hope he can move to cable or back to film.

I liked Lone Star too. :(

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

HadjiQuest wrote: »
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Dammit I wasn't gonna watch this tonight, but now I have to.

Thanks, Obama.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dammit I wasn't gonna watch this tonight, but now I have to.

Thanks, Obama.

Honestly, you may want to skip over the actual cases. They're the driest yet. I swear the show is even using Law and Order sound cues now.

The important bits are all in his homelife.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay, having seen the episode, this was a BIT of an oversell, but yes. Oh shit. That's... like... weird.

So I didn't get around to watching this last night.

...until I fell asleep, and then my brain constructed an entire fake episode of Awake for me to watch. The cases were dry, as HadjiQuest suggested (thanks buddy), and I woke up just as I could tell the end-of-episode twist was about to arrive.

That's some seriously meta shit.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    It's some seriously excellently plotted meta-shit. What a phenomenal way to deal with the move. Just a rock solid plot motivated event instead of some horrible character flip floppy bullshit.

Best plotted drama in a long time.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    It's some seriously excellently plotted meta-shit. What a phenomenal way to deal with the move. Just a rock solid plot motivated event instead of some horrible character flip floppy bullshit.

Really, you didn't think it was heavy handed, melodramatic and macabre?

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
    Awkward to the power of awkward.
    So, in orange, the police captain had something to do with it. But nothing's been hinted at in blue yet, right?

Avraham wrote: »

Really, you didn't think it was heavy handed, melodramatic and macabre?

No I take it back, this episode was really well written. Looks like the characters are moving away from grief to dealing with acceptance.

Man, I spent like all episode feeling all sad and confused. Show is fucking with me, in a good way.

(On a practical note, if the two colours are out of sync, doesn't that get very confusing for Britten re. the date?)

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    YOU SUCK NBC.

I don't understand the TV business. It's brutal. You sink a chunk of change into creating a show, then ax it if it's not a flying success in three short months?

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    It's the game of Television, you win or you die.

I'm really bummed about this, its been my favorite show this season, reminds me a lot of the first season of Lost. A character focused drama with a light touch of sci-fi to keep you guessing. Not surprised its getting cancelled though, I can't think of anyone I know except myself who watched (anecdotal evidence being what it is). Seems like they could wrap up the series though, explain which reality is real or if its something stranger.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Seems like all Jason Isaacs' shows get cancelled. Bummer.

• dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    Avraham wrote: »
    I don't understand the TV business. It's brutal. You sink a chunk of change into creating a show, then ax it if it's not a flying success in three short months?

Awake lost more than half of its audience from the premiere. It wasn't that it wasn't a success, it was more that much of the audience that tuned in for the pilot quickly abandoned the show. It's pretty much impossible for a show to recover from that kind of audience attrition. Had the show held 75-80% of its premiere numbers it would have gotten a second season.

Goddammit I'm in the midst of watching the episode and I came in here and now....man fuck NBC.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    That's a shame, but I was starting to hope for cancellation about the fourth time they started singing...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Great final episode, very annoyed at no series 2. It was getting better as it went on, too.

Uh, there are two more eps, man.

I caught up over the weekend, and this show was finally getting close to greatness.

But tonight's episode? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This, coming after 3 episodes of community and the best 30 rock this season, and I am flipping my shit. This is the best night of TV ever.

That shit was full-on nuts.

Huge, game changing spoilers
    Brittan is dying in an alley in the Red World, and he is locked in a holding cell for homicide in Green.

The small man is dead in Green World, but alive in Red.

There is only one Bird left, Green Bird, who is investigating a lead that Red Bird died for and that Red Michael is dying for.

The lead seems like a far shot; it's for a storage locker that at one time certainly housed all the heroin, but is now likely cleaned out. Plus, Michael has no idea that his chief is in on the whole thing, so she might clean it all up before they even get to the locker to see.

But the shit that is even crazier

The preview for next week's episode:
    The holding cell opens into a white void. Green Michael steps into it, and it's the visitation phones. Red Michael steps in, in uniform, and sits down to talk with Green Michael.

FUUUUUUUCK!

I hope there's some closure. If it's even possible.

edited May 2012
    I saw the finale on Canadian TV, and I don't want to spoil it for y'all, but I definitely need to say...
    Huh?

hippofant on
    A quarter of the way into the final episode!

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I don't know how they will come close to wrapping the season plot up with only 12 minutes left.

Well, maybe I do.