As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    For those of you lamenting about missing the start, remember, it's the first day of the first Pre-Order BWE. Likely all you'll be missing is "Aw, the server caught fire again" and "Well, the login page is pretty..."

This. I probably won't get a chance to play until Saturday and Sunday evenings, and I am fine with that. Friday is probably going to be a fustercluck.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Dont burst my beta bubble!

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So wait you mean i shouldn't plan to get on the minute they scheduled it?

Wait wait what?

• Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    Don't underestimate the sheer unadulterated joy one obtains by staring at the login screen for 3 hours

PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    "Don't worry, Guild Wars, it's enough just for me to know that you're here..." <3

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Didn't the first public beta start early :P

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I love you, login screen.

Also, We're up to 67 unique prepurchasers on the list we've been keeping. At this point I have not tallied any +'s that people have added nor does it account for anyone not placing themselves on the list, of course.

That's a pretty healthy number if you ask me.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Didn't the first public beta start early :P

yeah and the stress test was super terrible from what got leaked on to reddit

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Which gives them time to fix the infrastructure.

Network/server techs all up ins.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Entaru wrote: »

Also, We're up to 67 unique prepurchasers on the list we've been keeping. At this point I have not tallied any +'s that people have added nor does it account for anyone not placing themselves on the list, of course.

If even half of that is the more hardcore players that's a good number for a core group of players. Guess that TS was a good idea as well, good work everyone who had a hand in that!

Does anyone have experience leading a guild and the time to organize things? It'd be cool to have someone who has done it before lead a guild and events and what not.

Triiipledot on
  • Options
    I have been added to the signup spreadsheet.

My presence is now official.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i hope they give us a server list pre-beta

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    What events do you foresee a need to organize?

I anticipate groups for 5v5 will form on their own and be smaller. wuvwuv will be people joining as they can and some of us will join in around the tactical leaders for capturing objectives.

But organization? I don't see the need to have a highly experienced leader hold the reigns on the guild so much as a group of core officers who will help to provide a good atmosphere in the guild.

• Options
    i hope they give us a server list pre-beta

They will all be called Yak's bend.

What... wat will we do then, I ask?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Guess that TS was a good idea as well, good work everyone who had a hand in that!

Draygo deserves all of the credit. He put up a server and then spent hours making it look all awesome for us.

I didn't do anything besides make sure everyone was moving in the same direction and making sure we had enough admins.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Just need a couple more man...

Now just imagine 69 PAer's marching through the Eternal Battlegrounds in the gloriously penetrative W.A.N.G. formation.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I preordered, but I probably wont participate in the beta, if they do a "we wont be wiping chararacters" type thing which i doubt, I'll probably join when that happens.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We should be Wuvwuving together; the guild with the most participating members will have the option of claiming the towers, keeps, and the castle. It will also display our Guild Banner and any upgrades we have under Art of War. :D

Thus, some organization is required.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Here's a nice article I just spotted on their facebook.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-23-guild-wars-2-the-inside-stories

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Buraisu wrote: »
    We should be Wuvwuving together; the guild with the most participating members will have the option of claiming the towers, keeps, and the castle. It will also display our Guild Banner and any upgrades we have under Art of War. :D

Thus, some organization is required.

That, keeping people on track during wvw with objective, any kind of alliances with other guilds.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Considering they did a stress test to make sure a BETA test would be legit, I have a strong feeling the wierdest thing might happen, and we will all get on fine when friday comes.

Yeah I am crazy. But they seem to have delayed this and put a lot of effort in to fine tuning it to make sure it goes well. Its almost like this is more of a demo than a beta

• Options
    RndyWDnRndyWDn Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, been a while since I’ve played a game or chatted with anyone. So I’m looking forward to playing GW2 with everyone.

I’ll definitely be on Friday night after I take my wife to the dinner/movie I promised her earlier this month.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Considering they did a stress test to make sure a BETA test would be legit, I have a strong feeling the wierdest thing might happen, and we will all get on fine when friday comes.

Yeah I am crazy. But they seem to have delayed this and put a lot of effort in to fine tuning it to make sure it goes well. Its almost like this is more of a demo than a beta

Hopefully the overflow system is properly supported and even if we don't get in the server we want we can still play.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The overflow system just feels weird to me. It's a server you can play on before you can play on the server!

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    serverception

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Guess that TS was a good idea as well, good work everyone who had a hand in that!

Draygo deserves all of the credit. He put up a server and then spent hours making it look all awesome for us.

I didn't do anything besides make sure everyone was moving in the same direction and making sure we had enough admins.

Make sure you all spend a little time this week getting teamspeak ready to go and familiar with it. There are a ton of useful features I have enabled, and asking about them now, and getting things configured before friday the less I will have to deal with on friday.

Especially take the time to setup the TS Overlay if you want that feature for GW2. Ill put together a FAQ thing for corehealer to spoiler into the op somewhere outlining all the specific features and how to use them. I might also make an awesome charr themed style by the end of the week but dont hold me to it.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    The overflow system just feels weird to me. It's a server you can play on before you can play on the server!

It works when travel between servers is so fluid. The two reasons for playing on a specific server in Guild Wars 2 would be participating in the WvW and playing with your friends. Otherwise it doesn't really matter what server you play on, so long as you can play and your progress is saved, which it is. And because people can move from server to server if you're stuck on an overflow server you can have your friends join you. I assume an overflow server is just a regular server with a lower population and no queue.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

Would you rather stare at a queue screen telling you that there are too many people playing and you have to wait?

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Would you rather stare at a queue screen telling you that there are too many people playing and you have to wait?

Hey, didn't say I didn't like it.

There's lots of things that sound weird to me, but it's entirely a case of "this hasn't been done before and I'm not used to it".

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    It strikes me as ridiculous that it took the industry almost 10 years to figure out a solution to server queues. Given that virtually every MMO's world is static, you'd think someone would've thought of this sooner...

• Options
    edited April 2012
    ironzerg wrote: »
    It strikes me as ridiculous that it took the industry almost 10 years to figure out a solution to server queues. Given that virtually every MMO's world is static, you'd think someone would've thought of this sooner...

One could say that about so many things in GW2.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Oh hay email about the beta wait nevermind they just want me to buy the game.

Gimme download details nao.

• Options

Well, all those other MMOs weren't designed from the ground up around the idea of not having your character tied to a specific server. They could have done it, but it made no sense for them to waste the dev time/money on it when they can just let server populations self-balance.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well, EVE did it, others just had such high server capacity that it was rarely if ever an issue. Some games like TOR just have crazy low server caps which compounds the issue. GW1 I don't think ever had queues - it just forked off shared areas till there were enough.

Tabula Rasa and AoC had instancing for zones (think I recall seeing like 10 instances of the same zone in TR at one point near launch), never understood why they didn't expand on that to just have everyone on one server (well, I understand, it's complex to do, but huge payoff if done). There's been a few others, but it seems like the 'big' MMOs all go for the sort of static-sized servers that result in queues with no built in means to alleviate them.

RIFT did have some queue problems but free transfers makes that a lesser problem (and given how much they accomplished with their size, did a pretty good job on that front).

So yeah, in the end it took an oddly long time for a major fully-shared-environment MMO to do a real time solution.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just popping in to say hey and see you guys in the beta. Thanks @Draygo for setting up the TS3 server. Back to workin on my HoM. Layden Bonecrusher in GW.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Oh hay email about the beta wait nevermind they just want me to buy the game.

Gimme download details nao.

I just got that too.

Bastages!

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    I, but...
    ...I already bought it though!
    Twice!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    The countdown clock just ticked down another day.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I do have to say that @Draygo taught me I might want to rethink Guardian as a main profession. :lol:

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I do have to say that @Draygo taught me I might want to rethink Guardian as a main profession. :lol:

Pheny, I think you need to rethink anything other than "basket weaver" or maybe "butterfly chaser."

Milk maid?

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.