As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem with new PS3

powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I just recently picked up a PS3 and I'm having an odd issue with the web browser and I was wondering if any of you guys had any issues with it also.

When I try and zoom in my screen blinks and starts to roll then goes blank almost as if its trying to change res. If I hit the O button it will come back with the do you wish to exit menu. If I say no it goes back to the browser and starts the whole thing again.

I've tried this both in 720p and 1080i and it does the same thing in both. The 2 games and a couple of demos I have all seem to work fine though. My ps3, 360, and Wii are all hooked up via component (sony brand cable with the ps3) to the same TV and the other consoles have no issues.

Have any of you ps3 owners had an issue like this? I've tried all combos of just 720p or 1080i selected and I've tried it with all of them checked and its the same thing each time.

edit: Hrm ok I think I jumped the gun on it just being the browser. I was trying out some demos and during two of them the screen just went black. I could still hear audio but no picture. But when I press the PS button it brings up the home menu. I checked my connections and between that and the fact that the home menu still shows fine tells me its either the console itself or something I'm not thinking of.

powersurge on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It could possibly be the video cable...have you tried a different one?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok I haven't figured out WHY the ps3 is doing this yet but if I set it to 480p only, the problem goes away even though my TV supports up to 1080i.

My TV is a Toshiba 51H83 and the res's it supports:

480i/p
    540p
    1080i

And its suppose to upscale 720p to 1080i. I've never had any issue at all with my 360 or Wii in any res. Any idea how to fix this or does the PS3 hate HDTV's that are natively 1080i?

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The PS3 doesn't hate 1080i, the interface and the browser should work on it fine. However, not all games will support it, as they may only run at 720p. The fact that it works at 480p is interesting. Hmm. Aside from trying another video cable, I don't really know what to suggest. If you know someone else with an HD set, you might also ask them if you can try it with their set.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Whats strange is Resistance is a 720p game correct? It doesn't have any problem at all.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like an issue with your TV, how old is it and have you ever watched other 720p or 1080i things with it?

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like an issue with your TV, how old is it and have you ever watched other 720p or 1080i things with it?

Yep my 360 seems to work with it just fine I've had it for about a year. I normally run it at 1080i but if I switch it to 720p my TV seems to handle it just fine no issues. My Wii also runs fine but of course its only 480p.

If it was going black randomly I'd just assume it was the component cable but it seems to only happen when I zoom with the browser or on certain sections of a couple of game demos.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thats strange....

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Whats strange is Resistance is a 720p game correct? It doesn't have any problem at all.

Correct, in which case your TV must be scaling it up to 1080i. What resolutions do you have selected in the display options on the PS3? From the sound of things, your TV is able to scale everything to 1080i right? This is really strange if that's the case. I would have suggested something to do with the scaler as Vicious_GSR said, but if that was the case it wouldn't work with some sources and not others.

In other words I'm stumped. :)

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »

Correct, in which case your TV must be scaling it up to 1080i. What resolutions do you have selected in the display options on the PS3? From the sound of things, your TV is able to scale everything to 1080i right? This is really strange if that's the case. I would have suggested something to do with the scaler as Vicious_GSR said, but if that was the case it wouldn't work with some sources and not others.

In other words I'm stumped. :)

Before I started troubleshooting I had everything but 1080p checked. With 480, 720, 1080i checked I have the problem. Started troubleshooting by unchecking 720p but I still had the problem so I unchecked 1080i and the problem went away.

If it was just a compatibility issue (with my TV upscaling) I would of thought Resistance (a 720p game) would of had the same problem and it didn't. If it was a bad cable I'd think it would have video problems all over. So either its something simple I'm missing or a bad PS3 I'm thinking.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Indeed, sounds like you've got it narrowed down. To be sure, I'd check it out on another display if you have a chance.

brynstar on