Options

D'aww [chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    lol _J_ I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN

I WANT TICKETS TO YOUR CARTESIAN THEATRE

For some reason my Cartesian theatre keeps showing The Owls of Ga'Hoole.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    They maintain that the Aryans from Aldebaran derive their power from the vril energy of the Black Sun. They teach that since the Aryan race is of extraterrestrial origin (cf. Nordic aliens), it has a divine mission to dominate all the other races. It is believed by adherents of this religion that an enormous space fleet is on its way to Earth from Aldebaran which, when it arrives, will join forces with Nazi flying saucers from Antarctica to establish the Western Imperium.[16]

reading about the history of the Bronze Age or linguistics is sometime a little jarring because of the disconnection between common useage and scholarly usage of "aryan".

In scholarly usage it's the branch of indo-european speaking peoples found in what is now Iran and India.

oh. no.

this is pretty close to contemporary crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_Nazism

(the best thing is that I ended up there while doing research on Olber's Paradox. From Steady State Theory to Space Nazi's in an instant)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I am concerned that I will have difficulty being objective if I find my children are being bullied by another student.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    We all know that it's impossible to screen everything, and that he important thing in general is to create an environment where you can have conversations with your kids and guide them away from terrible ideas before they take root. But if you could take one expression of those terrible ideas and just strike it from the list for a few years, why not do it?

Actions can be terrible. Ideas are not terrible.

I find it quite surprising that you're engaging in the sorts of activities that one would find in the Santorum household. "Just WHERE did you get that copy of Darwin, young man?!"

I have to disagree... some ideas are terrible, straight up.
    I think it's possible to go far enough out on the fringe that we can locate some books most reasonable people agree are terrible. I'm not talking about a campaign of censorship either... I'm talking about one book.

In my view, the discussion about where the line should be, were it even possible to draw one, is different from one in which one group says in effect "there is no line". All literary works, to me, do not have equal value. Some of them are corrosive enough that I'd happily pick one and conceal it entirely, were that possible to do.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    oooh, GoGs weekend sale is pretty good this week.

Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Lands of Lore, Crusader and Nox.

Wasn't Nox an old Station game, it was like, overhead view futuristic-ish capture the flag type thing.

Nope it is one of the best games Westwood studios ever made. And I am sad Westwood online is gone so multiplayer is dead. Really a great game and you should play it.

Kind of a diablo like but not really. Tons of fun though.

Are the Crusader games fun? Without nostalgia-goggles, would a person who never played one have fun with it today?

I actually don't know about the Crusader game sorry. But Nox is still fun. I should really grab it because the CD version isn't a fan of my win7 pc.

Also best way to describe is to watch.

Single player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXvIj8l5Sk

Multiplayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9jG-Qac1AY

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Since the alcohol thread has disappeared I am considering starting a whiskey thread. I worry it may be too specific though.

i bumped it you scrublet

you fool! i would rather make the new thread than post in that one, which is full of people who drink beer

you should sympathize

yeah but i mean if a general alcohol thread falls a dozen pages back, i dunno how much interest would exist for a whiskey thread. half a dozen or fewer people jerking one another's dicks.

i think you might be surprised*

a more focused thread on a less-discussed topic can carry more interest

*JERK

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    What if I was just the laziest piece of shit known to man. Just straight up dumb and lazy? But I was savvy enough not to buy a fucking Alienware overpriced PC. What would I do to acquire a gaming PC?

Buy it from a place like ibuypower, or newegg or something. Shop around on sites like that and compare prices.

Obvs go with falcon northwest.

fragbox_tardis-hi.jpg

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Done with undergrad classes. Three finals and I get mah dugree.

Super grats!

On to higher education, or the real world?
    Pursuing le PhD in neuroscience.

ooo double super-grats!

I look forward to ignoring you work while I write papers about Cartesian dualism.
    hee hee

We were talking in class the other day about neuroscience, and how some people want to solve philosophical problems by appealing to FMRIs. Someone characterized it as, "We can know what X is by discerning where the brain lights up when someone feels X!"

To which the professor said, "I once said something like that and a student corrected me. You see, brains don't light up. The screen is what lights up."

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I've said it before, but my childhood was a list of things "never to do as a parent." My kids want to play dungeons & dragons, I'm there being a dungeon master, not yelling at them for introducing devil worship into their home.

Oh man, my mom was so afraid of D&D that it was straight up forbidden before I even knew what it was. Fucking Dateline, I assume.

My mom used to tell us a story about how she had a bunch of friends over and they busted out a Ouiji Board. My grandpa got down under the floorboards and fucked with them.

She would then rant about something something satan something devil magic satan.

Then we'd all watch Buffy.

Now that I think about it, Ouiji boards were banned too! I mentioned playing with one at a friend's house and got screamed at.

Goddamn it, my parents were fucking straight up crazy, weren't they...

I always knew but I keep trying to forget all the absolute insanity and remember the more moderate, sane recent behavior.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Super grats!

ooo double super-grats!

I look forward to ignoring you work while I write papers about Cartesian dualism.
    hee hee

We were talking in class the other day about neuroscience, and how some people want to solve philosophical problems by appealing to FMRIs. Someone characterized it as, "We can know what X is by discerning where the brain lights up when someone feels X!"

To which the professor said, "I once said something like that and a student corrected me. You see, brains don't light up. The screen is what lights up."

If someone corrected me with that line I would have just punched them in the mouth.

And then make them thank me for it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    What should I have for dinner tonight after I get back from the gym that's easy to cook?

Quinoa with a good yogurt?

Something not exotic that I can find in bumfuckia NY without traveling everywhere?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    eh, gifted programs and grade skipping are a double edged sword. everyone around you telling you how smart and great you are can be dangerous when you leave your bubble and find out that there are a lot of people just as smart as you- and a lot of people way smarter.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Trying to get some smell out of my freezer. Loss of power -> bad things.

The good thing is that there's really not much smell to talk about now. If you don't open it at all for about a day it will smell a little when you open it, and it leaves a hint of smell on things that is packaged in paper boxes.

I heard ground coffee was good to absorb smells like this. So I left a bag of it in the freezer now.

Has anyone tried this, or do you have an idea of if it could work?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I am concerned that I will have difficulty being objective if I find my children are being bullied by another student.

You are probably a decent human being with respect for the law and for social mores, but you will want to slap the taste off the child who is hurting yours. I kid you not.

You will be all alpha gorilla or mama bear on that situation, full on Bad Santa mode when he is beating the hell out of that bully.

Then you'll take a breath, step back and get some perspective, and that protective instinct will manifest as you chewing the ass off your nearest teacher or school administrator. Those are thankless jobs, too, right up there with 'parent.'

This will happen. This will all happen.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    The scariest "ghost story" I ever heard included a ouiji board. D:

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd be in jail if my kid would be bullied. They'd have a hell of a time finding the body though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    What should I have for dinner tonight after I get back from the gym that's easy to cook?

Something not exotic that I can find in bumfuckia NY without traveling everywhere?

Quinoa is still considered exotic? ;-)

Fried egg sandwich is easy and great for post gym.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd be in jail if my kid would be bullied. They'd have a hell of a time finding the body though.

I read the most depressing case in my Crim Pro class where a Mom went to jail in contempt of court because she refused to let child services know where her child was. Years later she was released and they never knew where the child ended up, although they believed the worst.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    My gifted program was a magnificent waste of time. They didn't give us harder work, they didn't put us on an accelerated schedule, they just took us, put us all in a school far away from where we came and didn't let us interact with the normals.

Which made middle school fun.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Quinoa is still considered exotic? ;-)

Fried egg sandwich is easy and great for post gym.

Generally we have:

Basic meats, basic vegetables and fruit (maybe star fruit ooooo!), and your basic flour-grain-rice nonsense.

Makes it sand if you want goose around the holidays or something because your choices are:

Chicken, turkey, ham

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    What if I was just the laziest piece of shit known to man. Just straight up dumb and lazy? But I was savvy enough not to buy a fucking Alienware overpriced PC. What would I do to acquire a gaming PC?

Buy it from a place like ibuypower, or newegg or something. Shop around on sites like that and compare prices.

Obvs go with falcon northwest.

fragbox_tardis-hi.jpg

I like cyberpowerpc and ibuypower. Haven't tried others. I got both off newegg and they had free shipping.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Vanguard, it's the Internet. P much everyone at some point is looking to make an "Ah ha. Got you bitches! I win" point

I know, that doesn't make it any less stupid.

To reiterate, stop being stupid.

I wasn't really aiming for any sort of gotcha moment. It just struck me as an interesting question, and then I discovered that some people would literally let their kids read anything, at any age. That was sort of surprising to me, so I thought I'd pursue the idea and see if it was really true. Apparently it is!

Still being stupid.

Please look at my posts and show me where I would "let my kids read anything at any age." Why can't you? Because I didn't say that.

Also, for someone who is saying, "let's be realistic", you're presenting a pretty implausible situation. How would you go about preventing the discovery of your chosen book?

You're slightly missing the point. I'm drawing in 'realistic' perspective to highlight the challenges involved in suggesting that a parent can effectively counter all the terrible ideas their kids are exposed to. My original question isn't realistically possible, or at least IMHO making it possible would have all sorts of undesirable, damaging side-effects. It was an interesting hypothetical, not a call to action.

So, you do feel like some works are specific-age (or developmental-step) appropriate and your kids shouldn't read them before that age?

If you actually read my posts, I wouldn't need to post this.

Yes, there is such a thing as age appropriate material.

No, I am not going to ban an single book, nor am I going to encourage them to read things beyond what I deem age appropriate.

If and when it happens, I will deal with it like an adult.

If they hide it from me, there's not a whole lot I can do.

And so we're back to the original hypothetical, and honestly I'm just trying to dig around and understand the thought process here.

If you believe that some works are only appropriate for a certain age, I have to assume that some works are only appropriate at age "adult". You recognize that it's something you'll have to deal with now and again, when your kids read stuff too old for them. Why, then, would you not take my hypothetical magic wand and say "OK, I get that I'm going to have to deal with this sometimes, but $book, you will not be one of those times" and zap it into invisibility until they're adults?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    eh, gifted programs and grade skipping are a double edged sword. everyone around you telling you how smart and great you are can be dangerous when you leave your bubble and find out that there are a lot of people just as smart as you- and a lot of people way smarter.

gifted programs were only like that for me for the first couple of years

after that it was relentless This Is How Much You Suck

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

gifted programs were only like that for me for the first couple of years

after that it was relentless This Is How Much You Suck

parents and educators should praise their child's work ethic rather than how smart they are, apparently. otherwise the kid will give up if something is challenging.

Sounds like my life!

• Options

You are probably a decent human being with respect for the law and for social mores, but you will want to slap the taste off the child who is hurting yours. I kid you not.

You will be all alpha gorilla or mama bear on that situation, full on Bad Santa mode when he is beating the hell out of that bully.

Then you'll take a breath, step back and get some perspective, and that protective instinct will manifest as you chewing the ass off your nearest teacher or school administrator. Those are thankless jobs, too, right up there with 'parent.'

This will happen. This will all happen.

This will most likely be all true.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

this isnt really the core problem IMO

The core problem is that gifted programs fawn over your "potential" and you are trained to just value BEING smart as an almost abstract trait, rather than working hard to use that intelligence to produce or do something of value.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

eh?

How is going from a situation where you are by far the smartest one around to a situation where you are one of many such smart kids (eg: an advanced class) a "bubble"?

I skipped 8th grade and effectively 11th and 12th (did running start and took all of my classes at a college for those grades) and my boy is in an advanced program in elementary.

I can tell you that in both cases it went from being in a bubble / coasting on little work because of the lack of challange to being in a peer group (at least intellecutally) and actually having to work.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Only spool would spend all day arguing about this boring ass shit. DAMNIT, SPOOL. TALK ABOUT MASS EFFECT OR SOMETHING. :P

Bring me my angriest smiley face! :evil:

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Jack on the Rocks is a perfectly fine drink.

It's not high class single malt whisky, but it scratches the itch and is a great way to cap a long day of work.

I just finished a bourbon old fashioned.
    My parents now have bitters and cubes

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Super grats!

ooo double super-grats!

hee hee

Winky hates when I say this, but fMRI "thought reading" is a terrible pseudoscience right now. Maybe in the future it will work better, but right now it isn't worth the publishing.

• Options
    If I have a daughter who is a nerd I'm probably going to have that conversation. You know, the one involving neckbeards.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Yup.

x2GsO.png

Fiber connection?

Yeeeep.

My gateway is also one hop away.

All your internets.

I has them.

we need a bandwidth off

I have a gb uplink at my office.

I also have two ten gigabit uplinks at my other office.

>:-)

you monster!

It's not very fair when I play TF2 here. I'm directly peered with XO and Level 3.

• Options
    I had margaritas with coronas upside down in them last night.

The waiter came around and poured tequila straight down everyone's throat for free.

What a weird, sexy time for us. We spent the entire night watching the mating rituals of co-eds as this mexican place has turned into some sort of Thursday night pre-game place apparently. The best was the engaged girl who was clearly not into her fiance and kept grinding on a giant of a man at the next table during some impromptu dance breaks.

Like I said. Weird place.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    All I want this guy to do in these oral arguments is answer how a cop sets up probable cause to run an immigration check.

If my friend from Ontario gets pulled over two years after her visa expires, I'm willing to bet that she won't be the one getting the check while my friend Javier who was born in America would.

This is why the law is a bad law.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Vanguard, it's the Internet. P much everyone at some point is looking to make an "Ah ha. Got you bitches! I win" point

I know, that doesn't make it any less stupid.

To reiterate, stop being stupid.

I wasn't really aiming for any sort of gotcha moment. It just struck me as an interesting question, and then I discovered that some people would literally let their kids read anything, at any age. That was sort of surprising to me, so I thought I'd pursue the idea and see if it was really true. Apparently it is!

Still being stupid.

Please look at my posts and show me where I would "let my kids read anything at any age." Why can't you? Because I didn't say that.

Also, for someone who is saying, "let's be realistic", you're presenting a pretty implausible situation. How would you go about preventing the discovery of your chosen book?

You're slightly missing the point. I'm drawing in 'realistic' perspective to highlight the challenges involved in suggesting that a parent can effectively counter all the terrible ideas their kids are exposed to. My original question isn't realistically possible, or at least IMHO making it possible would have all sorts of undesirable, damaging side-effects. It was an interesting hypothetical, not a call to action.

So, you do feel like some works are specific-age (or developmental-step) appropriate and your kids shouldn't read them before that age?

If you actually read my posts, I wouldn't need to post this.

Yes, there is such a thing as age appropriate material.

No, I am not going to ban an single book, nor am I going to encourage them to read things beyond what I deem age appropriate.

If and when it happens, I will deal with it like an adult.

If they hide it from me, there's not a whole lot I can do.

And so we're back to the original hypothetical, and honestly I'm just trying to dig around and understand the thought process here.

If you believe that some works are only appropriate for a certain age, I have to assume that some works are only appropriate at age "adult". You recognize that it's something you'll have to deal with now and again, when your kids read stuff too old for them. Why, then, would you not take my hypothetical magic wand and say "OK, I get that I'm going to have to deal with this sometimes, but $book, you will not be one of those times" and zap it into invisibility until they're adults?

I am going to quote myself here, because this question has already been answered.

Also, since there are any number of instances of books that may potentially harm your child, what good is banning one going to do? This is why the conversation leads to censorship. You either come up with a rationale for banning the ideas expressed in that book, or you move on to a banned book list.

Vanguard on
  • Options

Super grats!

ooo double super-grats!

hee hee

Winky hates when I say this, but fMRI "thought reading" is a terrible pseudoscience right now. Maybe in the future it will work better, but right now it isn't worth the publishing.

oh definetly. Some of the simpler / older systems (like vision) are getting to be understood but that is so far from what people usually mean by "thought".

Don't worry _J_, there is still room left (though it's shrinking) for the god Philosopher of the Gaps.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Super grats!

ooo double super-grats!

hee hee

The problem with fMRI is that it's blood flow connected. Pretty far delayed from electrical impulses.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

eh?

How is going from a situation where you are by far the smartest one around to a situation where you are one of many such smart kids (eg: an advanced class) a "bubble"?

I skipped 8th grade and effectively 11th and 12th (did running start and took all of my classes at a college for those grades) and my boy is in an advanced program in elementary.

I can tell you that in both cases it went from being in a bubble / coasting on little work because of the lack of challange to being in a peer group (at least intellecutally) and actually having to work.

that wasn't my experience at all. for me it was a few kids in a mentally gifted program, where we were constantly told how amazing we were. and we did indulgent projects- we started learning a foreign language years earlier than the other kids, for instance. we did extra recreational stuff. we got more access to computer labs.

it sounds like what y'all did was more productive, but for me i still wasn't challenged but i was just reassured that i was special. and then i realized that i'd always been treated with queer reverence and i didn't know how to spend hours leaning over a desk, working something out. i had to teach myself hard work, focus, and time management.

• Options

this isnt really the core problem IMO

The core problem is that gifted programs fawn over your "potential" and you are trained to just value BEING smart as an almost abstract trait, rather than working hard to use that intelligence to produce or do something of value.

yeah, that is not at all my experience with advanced classes for my boy or myself.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    We all know that it's impossible to screen everything, and that he important thing in general is to create an environment where you can have conversations with your kids and guide them away from terrible ideas before they take root. But if you could take one expression of those terrible ideas and just strike it from the list for a few years, why not do it?

Actions can be terrible. Ideas are not terrible.

I find it quite surprising that you're engaging in the sorts of activities that one would find in the Santorum household. "Just WHERE did you get that copy of Darwin, young man?!"

I have to disagree... some ideas are terrible, straight up.
    I think it's possible to go far enough out on the fringe that we can locate some books most reasonable people agree are terrible. I'm not talking about a campaign of censorship either... I'm talking about one book.

In my view, the discussion about where the line should be, were it even possible to draw one, is different from one in which one group says in effect "there is no line". All literary works, to me, do not have equal value. Some of them are corrosive enough that I'd happily pick one and conceal it entirely, were that possible to do.

We can agree to disagree about the "terrible idea" issue.

I'm curious. Do you ever worry that by saying, "you are forbidden from reading X" you are increasing the likelihood that your child will seek out X?

This discussion has been closed.