As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D'aww [chat]

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    my life is 50x better now that i'm on adderall.

To be fair, though, you're not a child.

have you seen my penis?

The man makes a fair point

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

have you seen my penis?

Actually, no I haven't. *cough*pm*cough*

:winky:

EDIT: Wow, this may be the worst TotP ever. I'm so proud.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »

have you seen my penis?

Actually, no I haven't. *cough*pm*cough*

:winky:

EDIT: Wow, this may be the worst TotP ever. I'm so proud.

Yeah, you really lucked out on this one.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Oh no question, that is the first assumption from which all later reasoning must spring. I TOTALLY believe pharmaceuticals are potentially harmful to childhood development. Unequivocally harmful. Literally a last resort for behavioral disorders that respond to nothing else. I feel strongly about so little, but I feel strongly about this.

Why?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    what happened to ur wrx skippy

did it explode because you were jumping it too much or ?

mine is fine

also I am getting close to 800 mi

in like 2 more weeks I will be able to accelerate past 4k rpms

:[

eff it

push the loud pedal

drive it like you stole it etc

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Woo! Work has been crazy today. I basically had to take on my boss and win, and then run with that victory by essentially uniting the nations with my new display of strength. I have subsequently formulated a plan, got a bunch of disparate groups on board with it, and am going to be able to run with it for the next 6 months. I feel strong!

So yeah, I'm late with this response. Sorry!
    silas you should be able to buy pre-build systems relatively cheaply from a wide range of places

are you in the states?

I am in the states. It sounds like there are a lot of pre-built options I didn't know about. I had previously built my PCs, but I just don't want to bother this time if I can help it.

The most important thing is you need to decide either:

a) a budget
    or
    b) a min-spec for the machine

If you don't nail down one of those variables there is no real answer to where to get your PC.

Good to know. I'm hoping to keep it under $1600.

How many monitors and what size?

Also, do you have anything you'll be reusing from your current machine? Mouse, keyboard, monitors, DVD drive, hard drives, windows license etc... Those can add up

Good point. I think I could reuse my 2 monitors, mouse, keyboard, and DVD drive. I'd probably go with a new hard drive and windows license.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    doping is a strong word to use

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    what happened to ur wrx skippy

did it explode because you were jumping it too much or ?

mine is fine

also I am getting close to 800 mi

in like 2 more weeks I will be able to accelerate past 4k rpms

:[

eff it

push the loud pedal

drive it like you stole it etc

no!

break it in nice and easy

then drive it hard after 1,000 mi

also I need to get the windows tinted because it's fucking hot

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    And have already discussed the idea that ADHD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. Which I am on board with, quite obviously.

Do you deny that ADHD is sometimes correctly diagnosed, and correctly medicated?

Overreach much? You do realize that the word "overdiagnosed" implies BOTH that there are cases in which it is correctly diagnosed AND, truer to the meaning of the word, cases in which it is not?

I just want to be sure. Given your position, I'm hesitant to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    if my kid would benefit from adderall i will toss him on that shit SO fast

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    And have already discussed the idea that ADHD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. Which I am on board with, quite obviously.

Do you deny that ADHD is sometimes correctly diagnosed, and correctly medicated?

Overreach much? You do realize that the word "overdiagnosed" implies BOTH that there are cases in which it is correctly diagnosed AND, truer to the meaning of the word, cases in which it is not?

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    This is the theory that has allowed the pharmaceutical industry to flourish by medicating children. We are ultimately talking about a set of behavioral patterns here that can be endemic to many different things, including poor parenting. We're not talking about brain chemistry and function.

I think you're starting from an assumption that pharmaceuticals are bad.

If pharmaceuticals are good or value-neutral, then allowing the pharmaceutical industry to flourish isn't really a scary thing.

Oh no question, that is the first assumption from which all later reasoning must spring. I TOTALLY believe pharmaceuticals are potentially harmful to childhood development. Unequivocally harmful. Literally a last resort for behavioral disorders that respond to nothing else. I feel strongly about so little, but I feel strongly about this.

Form of Monkey, how much research (even casually) have you done about ADD/ADHD?

I'm not asking this snarkily, I legitimately want to know. You should be aware that there are a number of us in [chat] who are on medication for ADD/ADHD, including some who have been on it since childhood, and in many cases it was, to use your words, unequivocally beneficial.
    I realize this is counter to the medicate-and-forget-it philosophy championed by others, but I'm not going to be convinced otherwise. It would have to be one hell of a pitch.

What I am saying to you is that if any of you were my child, first of all, congratulations on having the most awesome dad ever, and by the way Father's Day is coming up, hintety hint hint.

Then, rest assured that you'd be on drugs only as a last resort and after multiple medical opinions and an extensive review. That I love you and feel so strongly that I would be hurting you and doing wrong by you if I were to treat your love of caffeinated drinks with Ritalin.
    I feel like this is a poor way to begin a discussion on this topic.

Feel whatever you want, but we've been in the midst of talking about this already across multiple pages, not beginning it. And have already discussed the idea that ADHD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. Which I am on board with, quite obviously.

I was talking specifically about calling it a "medicate and forget it" philosophy, which is a glib misrepresentation of the actual philosophy that someone like Feral seems to hold.

Also I think the problems of "overdiagnosis" and "overmedication", while certainly linked, are separate issues. Essentially, just because ADD is overdiagnosed doesn't mean that "medication first" as a general philosophy is bad.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i want adderall

but its not legal in the uk

fuq

must go to states to get adderall

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Work is [REDACTED], [Chat].

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Ritalin is a strong drug for a 3 year-old to take.

• Options
    stoppoisoningchildren.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Ritalin is a strong drug for a 3 year-old to take.
    They do make less insane drugs for younger populations... but seriously, parents should accept the fact that super young kids and toddlers can be hyperactive shitheels, and they should wait until kindergarten at least before pharmaceutical treatments considered.

And this is coming from someone who genuinely NEEDED medication at one point in my life for it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    add are ll

what is the ll

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    add are ll

what is the ll
    cool, j

Elendil on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So, I figured let's kick this all the way back to basics, on the off hand that it's something in the case shorting the mobo. So, I have the mobo sitting outside of the case, on an anti-static bag. I pulled the RAM out, too. So, the only components we have are the processor, processor fan, and power supply. It should at least boot, correct? Then give me a POST error re: the RAM, right?

Same goddamn thing. I even found an on-board power switch, so the power switch isn't even wired to the board.

God fucking dammit.

• Options
    All
    the girls
    are on me
    Damn

• Options
    cool thx elendil

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    This is the theory that has allowed the pharmaceutical industry to flourish by medicating children. We are ultimately talking about a set of behavioral patterns here that can be endemic to many different things, including poor parenting. We're not talking about brain chemistry and function.

I think you're starting from an assumption that pharmaceuticals are bad.

If pharmaceuticals are good or value-neutral, then allowing the pharmaceutical industry to flourish isn't really a scary thing.

Form of Monkey, how much research (even casually) have you done about ADD/ADHD?

I'm not asking this snarkily, I legitimately want to know. You should be aware that there are a number of us in [chat] who are on medication for ADD/ADHD, including some who have been on it since childhood, and in many cases it was, to use your words, unequivocally beneficial.
    I realize this is counter to the medicate-and-forget-it philosophy championed by others, but I'm not going to be convinced otherwise. It would have to be one hell of a pitch.

What I am saying to you is that if any of you were my child, first of all, congratulations on having the most awesome dad ever, and by the way Father's Day is coming up, hintety hint hint.

Then, rest assured that you'd be on drugs only as a last resort and after multiple medical opinions and an extensive review. That I love you and feel so strongly that I would be hurting you and doing wrong by you if I were to treat your love of caffeinated drinks with Ritalin.
    I feel like this is a poor way to begin a discussion on this topic.

Feel whatever you want, but we've been in the midst of talking about this already across multiple pages, not beginning it. And have already discussed the idea that ADHD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. Which I am on board with, quite obviously.

I was talking specifically about calling it a "medicate and forget it" philosophy, which is a glib misrepresentation of the actual philosophy that someone like Feral seems to hold.

Also I think the problems of "overdiagnosis" and "overmedication", while certainly linked, are separate issues. Essentially, just because ADD is overdiagnosed doesn't mean that "medication first" as a general philosophy is bad.

Feral sees it as a first and best option. I see it as a last resort. We have a difference of opinion on the subject, but we know where we both stand.

Your questions read like you're unsure where either of us stands, even though we've been chatting about this for pages now.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, I figured let's kick this all the way back to basics, on the off hand that it's something in the case shorting the mobo. So, I have the mobo sitting outside of the case, on an anti-static bag. I pulled the RAM out, too. So, the only components we have are the processor, processor fan, and power supply. It should at least boot, correct? Then give me a POST error re: the RAM, right?

Same goddamn thing. I even found an on-board power switch, so the power switch isn't even wired to the board.

God fucking dammit.

gremlin.jpg

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Feral sees it as a first and best option. I see it as a last resort. We have a difference of opinion on the subject, but we know where we both stand.

So then given that you know where he stands, would you say that "medicate-and-forget-it" is an accurate description of Feral's position?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

So then given that you know where he stands, would you say that "medicate-and-forget-it" is an accurate description of Feral's position?

It's at least a very good strawman.

• Options
    personally, i feel all children should be forced to compete academically with one another and allowed to take whatever drugs they deem gives them a competitive edge

it would make spelling bees a lot more entertaining

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    personally, i feel all children should be forced to compete academically with one another and allowed to take whatever drugs they deem gives them a competitive edge

I think we need to move to a completely phonetic alphabet and then use spelling bees as a form of punishment.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

God fucking dammit.

No I dont think most will post without ram.

Also you want to make sure you are grounding the motherboard.

Also Also hook up the pc speaker, some motherboards will beep to identify the issue.

Others will use LED's to blink or light up in a combination to give more diagnostic information.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    when i built my last computer i had the computer turn on for a second, turn off, in a loop thing

i forgot that extra power plug to the mobo the tiny one WOOPS

poo
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Woo! Work has been crazy today. I basically had to take on my boss and win, and then run with that victory by essentially uniting the nations with my new display of strength. I have subsequently formulated a plan, got a bunch of disparate groups on board with it, and am going to be able to run with it for the next 6 months. I feel strong!

silas you should be able to buy pre-build systems relatively cheaply from a wide range of places

are you in the states?

I am in the states. It sounds like there are a lot of pre-built options I didn't know about. I had previously built my PCs, but I just don't want to bother this time if I can help it.

a) a budget
    or

If you don't nail down one of those variables there is no real answer to where to get your PC.

Also, do you have anything you'll be reusing from your current machine? Mouse, keyboard, monitors, DVD drive, hard drives, windows license etc... Those can add up

Good point. I think I could reuse my 2 monitors, mouse, keyboard, and DVD drive. I'd probably go with a new hard drive and windows license.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs

the one on the far right with the extra-good warranty (seriously, it's better than AppleCare - actually covers water damage and such) is $1188 (doesn't inlucd a monitor)

I would think that would be your high-end price for a gaming machine with no monitors.

You can compare it to these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736 600030537&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

try sorting within that list for things like graphics cards / cpu (there's only a couple that I see that have a core i7 for a comparable price).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral sees it as a first and best option.

I said 'first.'

I didn't say 'best.'

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Until one of the kids douses his competition with crazy pills.

• Options

You are ascribing a position to Feral that I didn't even ascribe myself, then asking me why I feel that way about Feral. It's not all that clever. Let's see here:

"I realize this is counter to the medicate-and-forget-it philosophy championed by others,"

That group of "others" may include Feral, or it may not. It definitely consists of a group of other people who have a difference of opinion. Which again, may include Feral but probably doesn't.

Do you see how your effort to "nail me" on this is kind of just a waste of time? I have pretty reasonable opinions about this stuff, and you're kind of just testing my patience by barely even parsing this correctly.

• Options

are you in the states?

a) a budget
    or

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs

the one on the far right with the extra-good warranty (seriously, it's better than AppleCare - actually covers water damage and such) is $1188 (doesn't inlucd a monitor)

I would think that would be your high-end price for a gaming machine with no monitors.

You can compare it to these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736 600030537&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

try sorting within that list for things like graphics cards / cpu (there's only a couple that I see that have a core i7 for a comparable price).

Thank you, Riemann. I can definitely run with this and make an informed purchase!

• Options

It's at least a very good strawman.

Not even for a poster who didn't read and thinks he's onto something by focusing less on an issue and more on an introductory clause. Not even in that case.

• Options
    Yeah, I haven't really clearly elaborated my opinion on this subject today. I have in prior threads on PA, but not in this particular discussion, so I'm not expecting anybody to telepathically understand what I think.

• Options

Until one of the kids douses his competition with crazy pills.
    uh

that's where it starts getting good

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    that alienware tower only has a 330w power supply? that seems low for that sort of equipment.

• Options

You are ascribing a position to Feral that I didn't even ascribe myself, then asking me why I feel that way about Feral. It's not all that clever. Let's see here:

"I realize this is counter to the medicate-and-forget-it philosophy championed by others,"

That group of "others" may include Feral, or it may not. It definitely consists of a group of other people who have a difference of opinion. Which again, may include Feral but probably doesn't.

Why would you even bring it up then? Nobody here is arguing for "medicate and forget it" so why talk about it at all?

I'm not trying to "nail you" on anything, I just feel like that comment wasn't in particularly good faith.

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.