As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Guys, you should watch The Surge on Netflix instant watch. I promise I'm not insisting you watch it solely due to the fact that it mentions my unit and has my old brigade commander in it...

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-3026 (dated 2002)

11.7. Photographs - General Guidance. The following provides general guidance concerning photographs for both the machine-readable and manually prepared cards:
    11.7.1. Photographs will be full-face passport-type photos.
    11.7.2. Military personnel may be photographed in uniform or civilian clothes.
    11.7.3. Active duty and members of the Selected Reserve and participating IRR must comply with
    Service grooming standards. They must also be within Service dress standards when in uniform

11.7.3 reads to me in 2 parts. You must be within grooming standards, and if you're in uniform, you must meet dress standards. I've heard that you can't have beards in ID cards before, and it makes sense, because when you're showing your ID card to get on base, you're most likely going to be in uniform.

I mean if that's the AFI, I won't argue that. I've definitely see some active duty guys with full growth on their ID cards though *shrugs*.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Heard from one of my active friends that army line units are getting female PLs, and eventually enlisted females, that won't be held to the same physical standards as male soldiers. At least we're pulling out of Afghanistan soon because it's going to be a hell of a transition period.

Edit: I'd love to reenlist just to hear senior NCOs fumble through weekend safety briefs.

Yeah. I really think female integration into combat roles needs to be on an individual basis. I've met a few who are way better at PT than me, but a 180 female PT result is a not so funny joke.

A large part of me thinks the promotion point scale should be 17-21 male for everyone too. People in other age categories could still get their adjusted minimums, but it makes no sense to reward someone with a 17:00 over someone with a 15:00 run because of age / gender differences.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Heard from one of my active friends that army line units are getting female PLs, and eventually enlisted females, that won't be held to the same physical standards as male soldiers. At least we're pulling out of Afghanistan soon because it's going to be a hell of a transition period.

Edit: I'd love to reenlist just to hear senior NCOs fumble through weekend safety briefs.

Yeah. I really think female integration into combat roles needs to be on an individual basis. I've met a few who are way better at PT than me, but a 180 female PT result is a not so funny joke.

A large part of me thinks the promotion point scale should be 17-21 male for everyone too. People in other age categories could still get their adjusted minimums, but it makes no sense to reward someone with a 17:00 over someone with a 15:00 run because of age / gender differences.

Agreed.

I'm convinced there are women out there that are capable of doing the job of an 11A,B,or C while carrying 200+ lbs of gear on a >12 klick tactical movement, but they likely aren't going to be the same ones that are expected to pass an APFT to the female standard.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    E6 GET. :D

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options

Congrats!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Awesome! Well done TSgt.

Damn, 22% selection rate too.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options

yeaaaaayeaaaa!

• Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    So what are the odds that after going through BCT and AIT that I will be deployed overseas right off the bat? My fiance is concerned that it might be 12-18 months before I see her again.

• Options
    JWFokker wrote: »
    So what are the odds that after going through BCT and AIT that I will be deployed overseas right off the bat? My fiance is concerned that it might be 12-18 months before I see her again.

Do you have an MOS yet?

• Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    Yes, 12N (Horizontal Construction Engineer).

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Some of my buds got their EAD dates bumped earlier, thank goodness. I hope I get one soon.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Just found out my good friend from my unit who was on special assignment with me in Iraq killed himself. I'm a bit bummed.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Just found out my good friend from my unit who was on special assignment with me in Iraq killed himself. I'm a bit bummed.

Sorry to hear that. I know what that's like.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeeeeeeeah. This is the second one in less than a year :( Lost a friend from comm school late last year.

godmode on
  • Options
    Yeeeeeeeah. This is the second one in less than a year :( Lost a friend from comm school late last year.

That's really rough.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    Sorry to hear that godmode.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    So, I finally got to go to sea this last week, for the first time since joining the RCN in 2009. It has been pretty fun, we are doing a two week trip where the people on my course are effectively the boatswains/look outs/helm. Essentially, after a couple years of wondering if I made the right choice, I think I have as I love being at sea.

Although, I also love getting onto shore too.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Got back from Field Training last Tuesday! Yay! Went well. Wasn't bad at all.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    This is kind of a long shot, but has anyone here filled out an SF-15 before? If yes, could you PM me? I got questions.

Got someone already!

godmode on
  • Options
    This is kind of a long shot, but has anyone here filled out an SF-15 before? If yes, could you PM me? I got questions.

Got someone already!

Hey, you're half way to being an officer. Congrats!

• Options
    EAD Date September 30th :D:D:D

• Options
    Nothing like pushing everything right up until the end of the Fiscal Year eh?

Congrats man, welcome to the club!

• Options
    Nothing like pushing everything right up until the end of the Fiscal Year eh?

Congrats man, welcome to the club!

I figured. I thought it was October for some reason.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    A month and a day until BCT.

Quick, what do I do?

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    moocow wrote: »

Quick, what do I do?

Do PT. Learn phonetic alphabet, soldier's creed, rank structure, etc.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    If you think "don't freak; you got this", and portray that attitude, you will rock.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »

Quick, what do I do?

Do PT. Learn phonetic alphabet, soldier's creed, rank structure, etc.

This will not steer you wrong...but seriously....run....run till you go.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    The other day I noticed it was 45 days to go. I was all, "hey, I still have plenty of time!"

Then today (yesterday?) I thought, "holy shit, I've only got a month left."

I'm pretty excited! I do need to run more though, I've gotten lazy and have just been lifting and not running lately.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Most of the stuff will test your overall fitness. Activities that work the whole body like swimming are fantastic.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    Run moar.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Seriously. Run, run until a 3 mile run is a jog for you.

Strength and Stamina, that's exactly what you should be working on. Strength to climb rope, do pull ups and push ups confidently and consistently, strength to carry 40-50lbs in a ruck and the stamina to carry that 13 miles or more. The strength and endurance to do 100 push ups, mountain climbers, sit ups or whatever "long run" your DS might have you do.

And then work on having great mental fitness. Focus, attention to details; basically don't be a fuck up.

Honestly, some of the most fun and fulfillment I've had in the Army is when I was in my Drill Sgt unit: just constantly learning new things and mentoring people is so rewarding.

Edit:
    The first 2-3 weeks of BCT will be miserable for you (group punishment/corrective action. It's the first phase, it's purpose is to break you down, kill your individuality and "me me me" mentality and force you all to work as a group). If you don't have the mental fitness to see it through or you haven't found how to make it "fun" then it's going to be absolutely miserable for you the rest of the way through. At 3 weeks in you should already know what to expect, how to act and re-act, and how to make it fun for you and if you can do that, you will have one of the best times of your life.

BCT will prepare you for the military but not with the training. The training is just all entry, common knowledge stuff; what you should learn from BCT is what the people in the military are like. They will either make your time in the military enjoyable or completely miserable.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Not sure about BCT, but in OSUT road marching was much more difficult than the running. With the runs you're segregated into ability groups, whereas with road marches you carry the same weight as everyone else (unless you're humping one of the guns) and move at the same pace which can seem incredibly fast if you've never carried that much weight on your frame before.

Edit: Not trying to say that you shouldn't run, but if I had to choose one of the two forms of cardio to focus on it would be road marching.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    [double post]

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    re: Run vs. road march: It depends on the person, honestly. The only road march I found challenging was the one I was doing with a 100 F+ fever in a South Carolina summer*. I found running to be really challenging for some time. I'd recommend maybe a bit of both, but if you don't have a genuinely good backpack already, just run and lift weights.

*FWIW, Fort Jackson runs from pretty hard (well, as BCT goes) to hilariously easy. One of my friend's platoons, no bullshit, let them eat a snack after dinner and before bed. We got smoked after dinner and before bed, because counting is hard.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Not sure about BCT, but in OSUT road marching was much more difficult than the running. With the runs you're segregated into ability groups, whereas with road marches you carry the same weight as everyone else (unless you're humping one of the guns) and move at the same pace which can seem incredibly fast if you've never carried that much weight on your frame before.

Edit: Not trying to say that you shouldn't run, but if I had to choose one of the two forms of cardio to focus on it would be road marching.

Depends on MOS, not much road marching outside of basic in the noncom MOS AIT but still lots of running.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »

Depends on MOS, not much road marching outside of basic in the noncom MOS AIT but still lots of running.

As a 35P, FWIW, our road marching fell off drastically till I ended up at my first unit, but running went up to 10 miles in one go, with 4-6 on hilly terrain being very common.

• Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    This is more of a first world problems type thing but it really pissed me off this week. Every JO in my squadron gets an EOT award when they PCS. 90% of the time it's a NAM (navy achievement medal). I was told to write my own award and submit it to my department head. While none of the other six JO's that are rotating with me had to do this, that isn't what pissed me off. Although annoying to have to write my own award I did it and I did a serious job of it. What pissed me off is my boss shot it back and told me to make it better.

It was all done via email so his reply was worse than useless. I have written at least 30 NAMs in the last 3 years for things ranging from end of cruise, EOT, and search and rescue success. I know how to write a NAM. So the email make it better is not only not helpful but doubly annoying because my own damn award got kicked back. I wanted to delete everything and just put the mandatory navy preamble a huge space. "Limp moose is great" Huge space The required last sentence.

Most of my bosses at this command were awesome some just don't have very good communication skills. Also writing your own award makes actually getting the award pretty meaning less. Hooray a new thing I have to buy at the uniform store. I am awesome. Bleh

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is a fairly random question I'm asking for a friend, but I thought this might be the place to go. He was wondering if there are any Army-oriented webcomics (he mentioned Terminal Lance as a Marine-oriented one). He's in advanced training right now and I think he's looking for things to help him adapt to the culture.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Farvatoons is done by the same guy who does Air Force Blues but I'm not sure what's going on with the update schedule.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
This discussion has been closed.