As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I still think Clint's new suit looks rad, especially when done by Aja, and it fits the pitch and tone that Fraction seems to be aiming for perfectly

so nerts to all y'all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed seeing what we could have gotten, but the new suit looks pretty cool.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    ad1t.jpg

Uncanny Avengers

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man that hawkeye costume would have been mint

• Options
    Also what

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Rocket Raccoon!

Adding more credibility to the Guardians movie...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Oh hey, it's Ultimate Cap, and he brought Ultimate Nick Fury and.. Rob Liefeld's Thor with him.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Oh hey, it's Ultimate Cap, and he brought Ultimate Nick Fury and.. Rob Liefeld's Thor with him.

You totally missed the whole Marcus Johnson mini-series, didn't you, Munch? Good 'ol Nick is his illegitimate dad, and since the real Fury had to retire/vanish/whatever from Shield, he took his pop's name when he signed up with them. Technically, he's Nick Fury Jr.

As for the image, I, in all honesty, love it. But then, any picture of Spidey riding Hulk into battle gets a big points from me.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Nah, I was just being facetious, I know about Nick Jr.

Seriously though, why does Thor have two swords strapped to his back?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So Cyclops is going to hug it out with everyone at the end of AvX? And shooting a big X out of your face might not be as precise as a horizontal line..

I know it's a picture of a page, but Cap's skin looks really pale.

edit: this is Bendis' pitch for All New X-Men, from Entertainment Weekly:
    ALL NEW X-MEN: Brian Bendis takes on the most eccenctric and controversy-baiting Marvel NOW! book. The pitch: The original five teenage X-Men time-travel to the present day. “Here’s the big question that the original X-Men are gonna be faced with: ‘We’re gonna grow up and this is what we’re going to to get? That is not acceptable.” NOV. 2012

So that's how Jean gets back, time travel blargh. I guess it could be Cyclops too.
    I just hate time travel so much.

And here's an Avengers and Uncanny Avengers pitch, Hickman and Remender writing:
    AVENGERS: The updated series promises a diverse sprawling cast that goes far beyond the movie lineup. “It’s not six Avengers it’s 18 or more” says writer Jonathan Hickman. AVENGERS will be bi-weekly and will feature a combination of one-off stories and longer, galaxy-spanning multi-issue arcs. DEC 2012
    UNCANNY AVENGERS: Writer Rick Remender mixes Avengers characters like Captain America and Thor together with such X-Men as Rogue and Havok in the flagship title of Marvel NOW! “It’s a bridge book” says Remender “something that can delve into both worlds.” OCT 2012.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    What's with the flying helmet thingy above Nova/next to Marvel Girl?

Also, time travelling Jean Grey seems like a mistake.

• Options
    Maybe it's Worldmind, now a scrappy sidekick for Sam Loeb?

Cable is wearing an eyepatch now, it looks like he's a rapidly aging Nick Fury. And since it's on the opposite eye that Marcus Johnson patched, it's Avengers feng shui

• Options
    Bendis on X-Men could be interesting. All those original characters have pretty defined voices, that may help him overcome his tendency to write everyone the same way.

I'm curious to see what'll become of Secret Avengers, if Remender's doing Uncanny Avengers. He dropped Venom, so I suppose he could still do both.

With seven different 616 Avengers titles, I really hope there's some effort made to differentiate them more. Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, and Dark Avengers have their own identities, but Avengers Assemble, New Avengers, and Avengers are all very same-y.

Uncanny Avengers basically sounds like Avengers Team-Up (Co-Starring the X-Men), which could be interesting.

And it sounds like Hickman's turning Avengers into the Kurt Busiek/George Perez Heroes Return Avengers, which I'm all for.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So Uncanny is the full bridge book. Avengers, X-Men, and Cosmic Marvel in a single book. Add Captain Marvel into the book, and it'd be perfect.

And Cyclops lives.... WOO!

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Spidey's costume is giving me a Mile Morales vibe.

• Options

So maybe Emma dies then. Or Wanda. Wanda dying would be nice, it would be a cry for Justice.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

So maybe Emma dies then. Or Wanda. Wanda dying would be nice, it would be a cry for Justice.

Probably Emma. Emma may go too far and that snaps Cyke back.

I wonder if that Iron Man is Tony or Rhodes?

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Bendis on X-Men could be interesting. All those original characters have pretty defined voices, that may help him overcome his tendency to write everyone the same way.

I'm curious to see what'll become of Secret Avengers, if Remender's doing Uncanny Avengers. He dropped Venom, so I suppose he could still do both.

With seven different 616 Avengers titles, I really hope there's some effort made to differentiate them more. Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, and Dark Avengers have their own identities, but Avengers Assemble, New Avengers, and Avengers are all very same-y.

Uncanny Avengers basically sounds like Avengers Team-Up (Co-Starring the X-Men), which could be interesting.

And it sounds like Hickman's turning Avengers into the Kurt Busiek/George Perez Heroes Return Avengers, which I'm all for.

I'm pretty sure Uncanny Avengers is replacing Secret Avengers.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    also from bleeding cool

"The new Entertainment Weekly, as well as confirming Bleeding Cool’s report that the relaunch would be called Marvel NOW!, provides details of how the relaunch is going to work. Specifically that one book will be launched or relaunched every week from October through to February 2013, totalling twenty-two titles, beginning with the previously reported Uncanny Avengers and including Avengers, All New X-Men and a number of titles, presumably, our Marvel NOW! Rumour Checklist.

We’ve seen how characters look to be completely redesigned, teams changed and titles amended. However it is worth reminding readers that, unlike DC’s reboot, the continuity will not be rebooted…"

25 titles is a lot more than I was thinking.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    also from bleeding cool

"The new Entertainment Weekly, as well as confirming Bleeding Cool’s report that the relaunch would be called Marvel NOW!, provides details of how the relaunch is going to work. Specifically that one book will be launched or relaunched every week from October through to February 2013, totalling twenty-two titles, beginning with the previously reported Uncanny Avengers and including Avengers, All New X-Men and a number of titles, presumably, our Marvel NOW! Rumour Checklist.

We’ve seen how characters look to be completely redesigned, teams changed and titles amended. However it is worth reminding readers that, unlike DC’s reboot, the continuity will not be rebooted…"

25 titles is a lot more than I was thinking.

Well a good bit of that will probably be relaunches, and it's not going into what's going away.

Sounds like the writers all got up and picked new spots at the table. Then they were seemingly given carte blanche to do whatever they wanted from Bendis on down.

• Options
    MTV is saying:
    Uncanny Avengers #1 (October)

by Rick Remender & John Cassaday

From the "ashes" of "Avengers VS X-Men" the two teams come together for the first time to fight a new deadly foe -- the Red Skull, who wants to "x-out" the mutant race! Expect Captain America and Wolverine to be members, as well as a few "wild card" surprises!

All New X-Men #1 (November)

by Brian Michael Bendis & Stuart Immonen

Everything old is new again...after the original five X-Men suddenly reappear in the present! How do they get to the current time-period? What do they think about the events of Avengers VS X-Men? All I know is -- this definitely means the return of Jean Grey!

Avengers #1 (December)

by Jonathan Hickman & Jerome Opena

Details are sketchy so far on this relaunch, other than that the team lineup promises to be waaay different, and their focus will be more on threats to the universe, rather than just Earth. Can we expect some Thanos action here?

Can't expect Cassaday to do more than the first arc before a change or fill-in.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I don't expect any of them doing the 2nd arc, being that x-men and avengers are supposed to bi-weekly.

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    I'm ready for 616 Wolverine to be all over the college-aged Jean Grey. Like his Ultimate counterpoint. The Creepy Canadian strikes again.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am pretty down with most of this

Cyclops' outfit is

goofy

Thor's isn't that bad and I would like to see Ribic draw it before I judge it

I wanna see more books, too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Bi Weekly?

My wallet is already weeping.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Main thing I notice is they got rid of Thor's cape. How many Marvel caped heroes (male anyway) are left?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Uhm, Magneto I guess

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Didn't we see that Cyclops costume design a couple months back in some promo art or something?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I really hope Bendis shows the original X-Men reacting to the modern world as they should, like a group of stalwart heroes confronted by a horrible future that must be averted.

I mean, back in the '90s you'd expect a world where mutant kind is on the brink of extinction, the X-Men are locking the Avengers up in hell, Magneto is on the team, and Scott is with the White Queen as some kind of Days of the Future Past situation.

To a group of teens from the '60s who haven't even seen death yet, all of that should be downright horrifying, and they should want to prevent it all as eagerly as the X-Men tried to prevent the assassination of Senator Robert Kelly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I really hope Bendis shows the original X-Men reacting to the modern world as they should, like a group of stalwart heroes confronted by a horrible future that must be averted.

I mean, back in the '90s you'd expect a world where mutant kind is on the brink of extinction, the X-Men are locking the Avengers up in hell, Magneto is on the team, and Scott is with the White Queen as some kind of Days of the Future Past situation.

To a group of teens from the '60s who haven't even seen death yet, all of that should be downright horrifying, and they should want to prevent it all as eagerly as the X-Men tried to prevent the assassination of Senator Robert Kelly.

This is a good post.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    AspectVoid wrote: »

You totally missed the whole Marcus Johnson mini-series, didn't you, Munch? Good 'ol Nick is his illegitimate dad, and since the real Fury had to retire/vanish/whatever from Shield, he took his pop's name when he signed up with them. Technically, he's Nick Fury Jr.
    LALALA ITDIDNTHAPPEN. Gdamnit, why'd they have to ruin an awesome piece of art with that ridiculous marketing-created-character.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »

LALALA ITDIDNTHAPPEN. Gdamnit, why'd they have to ruin an awesome piece of art with that ridiculous marketing-created-character.

Because if they want to keep Marvel Comics solvent, they have to market so that random people can recognize the characters from the movies. The comic side of Marvel has to turn a profit, otherwise they will be shut down. Thus, you match what the mainstream knows so that come the holiday season, when parents are traveling through a store and see an Avengers TPB, they recognize the characters from the movies their kid loved so much and buy it.

It sucks, but its what they gotta do.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    If they just wanted to recreate the movie Fury, then why did they put him in patriotic spandex?

Steve Rogers is the only dude who could pull that outfit off.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I wonder what is up with that Hulk?
    also that Iron Man kinda looks like Mainframe.

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    Man I am really excited for post AvX

Hickman and Remender's Avengers both sound like great ideas

Marvel look to have done it again, they keep on pushing things forward, I'm massively impressed with them

especially compared to DC, who did a full reboot but didn't manage to capture the dynamic feel Marvel have held for the past few years

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I wonder, with the increased emphasis on the Avengers and X-Men working together, whether Marvel is planning to reduce emphasis on anti-mutant hate in the Marvel Universe. It would kind of make sense to make it less angry mobs and more the kind of subtle racism/sexism that exists now in our world.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I really like that Cyclops suit

Very... anime

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I wonder, with the increased emphasis on the Avengers and X-Men working together, whether Marvel is planning to reduce emphasis on anti-mutant hate in the Marvel Universe. It would kind of make sense to make it less angry mobs and more the kind of subtle racism/sexism that exists now in our world.

I could go for that. Maybe they won't get rid of some of the things the Phoenix Five have done, like actually have some of these societal improvements actually stick instead of negating/forgetting about it a few months later.

"damn muties, well at least they made all this free food and clean water and dropped the price of gas. Guess they ain't all bad."

• Options

The MTV version of these breaks say the first threat the Uncanny Avengers will be fighting is an anti-mutant Red Skull. So, probably not.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    haha, man

how many times has the Red Skull cheated death now? it's got to be like five or six at least.

This discussion has been closed.