Options

iPhone 5 announcment today, stay tuned for all nerds posting about it all at once in here

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I hadn't had any problems with the G2x until the recent patch, but then I needed to do a factory reset in order to download/update apps, and it hasn't been the same since.
    I have to reboot my phone to get wifi to turn on and stuff. And a lot of apps crash.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    A bit of a problem?

How many of those devices can run Jellybean, or ICS, for that matter?

Gingerbread and honeycomb are still pretty good

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I am having PC issues still.

Jeez.

Sometimes I get graphical error and crashes. Sometimes I get weird corruption where things are invisible in 3D games. When I start windows the screen turns off after the logo but before the logon...

Also when I tired using this SSD my system locked up a bunch, no errors or anything, just froze while listening to music and browsing the web.

My RAM and VRAM check out, no overheating. I've updated my motherboard bios... I'm leaning toward it being my HDD.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    I don't know. Trumpeting iOS as the best thing and talking about Android like it is just for babies and/or nerds exclusively is kind of annoying to me.

They are both good phone things, with their strengths and weakenesses

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am having PC issues still.

Jeez.

Sometimes I get graphical error and crashes. Sometimes I get weird corruption where things are invisible in 3D games. When I start windows the screen turns off after the logo but before the logon...

Also when I tired using this SSD my system locked up a bunch, no errors or anything, just froze while listening to music and browsing the web.

My RAM and VRAM check out, no overheating. I've updated my motherboard bios... I'm leaning toward it being my HDD.

It is probably a curse

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    iOS isn't the best thing, it has plenty of annoyances. It's multi-tasking is feeling old and insufficient compared to the way PalmOS handled things, and it's a dead platform! Apple's data siloing is really causing all kinds of headaches for apps that would love to tie in to each other without relying on Dropbox (iCloud is practically an afterthough, who knows what's going to happen if/when Apple decides Dropbox is taking too much of that pie for them to be happy with it though I'm glad Dropbox turned down the buyout offer), but Apple's sandboxing is more or less ironclad.

The share sheets in iOS 6 are Apple approved ones, so you can share to things like Twitter or Facebook, but good luck trying to share to something like Instapaper, or Pocket, or any other app.

The best thing I've seen lately is LaunchCenterPro utilizing the app URLs in some really creative ways (it's awesome for OmniFocus users) and building up a pretty large index of apps that can tie into each other as much as they're allowed.

I would love to see a Files.app at some point as a centralized place for data to be stored, but it's probably a ways off.

Oh, and opening up Siri's APIs for any app to integrate with.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    I would love for the better versions of the android OS to be able to get out there faster, but I think it is just the price you have to pay for the much greater accessibility.

Like the fact that you can get a dirt cheap smartphone on any carrier you want kind of bogs the whole thing down

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Personally, the main issue I have with the current generation of Android phones is how goddamn big they are. I like ICS as much as I like iOS, which is quite a lot, but I already found my Droid X a bit too big after almost two years. Even if the new phones are thinner and lighter then my old Droid X their height and width were too big for my liking. If someone made a phone with a 4" screen that ram ICS I would have strongly considered that over a 4s.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I love the size of my galaxy s2.

The iphone 4s is fuckin beautiful, but I don't know if I could go back down to a screen that size

• Options
    Also, I admire Apple's balls regarding their unveil of iMessage.

Yes I know there's jokes about green and blue texts, but iMessage is the biggest fuck you to the carriers ever, over one of their most bullshit rackets.

• Options
    I can't stop farting someone help me

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hey I'm going to be "that Android guy" again
    iMessage is the biggest fuck you to the carriers ever

you mean, since Google Voice?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Honestly I think the home and lock screens really need to be looked at with ios. Especially with the iPad.

I mean it's that freaking big and the only thing you can do with it is open apps.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Honestly I think the home and lock screens really need to be looked at with ios. Especially with the iPad.

I mean it's that freaking big and the only thing you can do with it is open apps.

That is one of the things that made me look at an Android phone.

Also the fact that I was planning on getting an unlocked phone for a long time and that doesn't really work with an iphone

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm fine with the iPhone not doing.

There isn't that much space, but man, the iPad....

• Options

iMessage is baked in, tied directly to your iTunes account (which you probably already had if you bought music ever in the past 10 or so years)

How many people do you think ported their number over to GV? If they didn't, you've got to text a separate number, etc. It might have been there sooner, but it's far from a great or well-integrated experience (I actually use GV Mobile+ on iOS, I bought it back when it was a jailbreak app on iOS!)

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Blake T wrote: »

Agreed. Stuff like LockScreenInfo was awesome and it's a shame they're not doing more with it.

edit: them being Apple

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Uriel you did a full reinstall on your pc after you bought the ssd, right? Have you run memtest on the HDD? Did you end up getting to the bottom of why your ssd was getting poor reads?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Uriel you did a full reinstall on your pc after you bought the ssd, right? Have you run memtest on the HDD? Did you end up getting to the bottom of why your ssd was getting poor reads?
    Yes, chckdsk actually, and no I ended up having to take it out to get the thing to stop freezing every 30 minutes or so, I still have it and am not really sure it's my SSD. I'm starting to lean toward a bad mobo actaully, seeing as I have so many issues with so many different parts, and since I bought a new PSU I'm pretty sure that's not it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    I love the size of my galaxy s2.

The iphone 4s is fuckin beautiful, but I don't know if I could go back down to a screen that size

Yeah, the screen size took some adjustment, but the higher dpi, resolution, and quality helped even things out. That said, I'm going to try and sell my 4s when the 5 comes out, and if I cant no big deal I still have a phone that's excellent and I'm very happy with.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

iMessage is baked in, tied directly to your iTunes account (which you probably already had if you bought music ever in the past 10 or so years)

How many people do you think ported their number over to GV? If they didn't, you've got to text a separate number, etc. It might have been there sooner, but it's far from a great or well-integrated experience (I actually use GV Mobile+ on iOS, I bought it back when it was a jailbreak app on iOS!)

Once again, the nerd/layperson distinction. Google Voice was around for (IIRC) years before iMessage, and I remember Blackberry messenger being advertised well before iMessage came out, but it wasn't until after iMessage hit that the carriers started forcing everyone onto unlimited texting plans.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    My nexus has been doing this cool thing where it just shuts off when im not looking
    and refuses to turn back on for a while

hurrrrgh

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I got one of these a little while ago and finally got a chance to try it out today. The girl at the counter of the hardware store was kind of freaked out when I paid for my stuff with a phone, which was mostly why I bought it in the first place.

Even without the paypass functionality it's a nice, sturdy little case in its own right, and it lets you charge through a microUSB port instead of the one built into the iPhone, which I've found accumulates grime too easily when exposed to the interior of my pocket. It's more a novelty than a useful tool for me at this point, but between iCartes and iOS6's Passbook feature it's going to get gradually more feasible to leave one's wallet at home.

Butler on
  • Options
    Yes, chckdsk actually, and no I ended up having to take it out to get the thing to stop freezing every 30 minutes or so, I still have it and am not really sure it's my SSD. I'm starting to lean toward a bad mobo actaully, seeing as I have so many issues with so many different parts, and since I bought a new PSU I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Was it a brand new mobo? Sorry, I know we've talked about it but I've forgotten

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Butler wrote: »
    I got one of these a little while ago and finally got a chance to try it out today. The girl at the counter of the hardware store was kind of freaked out when I paid for my stuff with a phone, which was mostly why I bought it in the first place.

Even without the paypass functionality it's a nice, sturdy little case in its own right, and it lets you charge through a microUSB port instead of the one built into the iPhone, which I've found accumulates grime too easily when exposed to the interior of my pocket. It's more a novelty than a useful tool for me at this point, but between iCartes and iOS6's Passbook feature it's going to get gradually more feasible to leave one's wallet at home.

That's pretty slick.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »

Once again, the nerd/layperson distinction. Google Voice was around for (IIRC) years before iMessage, and I remember Blackberry messenger being advertised well before iMessage came out, but it wasn't until after iMessage hit that the carriers started forcing everyone onto unlimited texting plans.

Are you trying to say there isn't a distinction between a person who knows what the hell Google Voice is and one who doesn't? Really?

As for Blackberry Messenger...RIM's circling the drain, so you can see how concerned the carriers were about it.

iMessage completely bypasses the carriers regarding SMS and MMS, and again, I'm not saying it was there first, but the way it was an 'Oh by the way' after the announcements for iOS 5 is what I mean by admiring the 'fuck you' to the carriers. Apple didn't bother letting any of the carriers know they were about to remove a healthy chunk of their SMS/MMS business.

After updating to iOS 5, literally millions of phones (and iPads!) suddenly had free texting and MMS, without any real work on the users part. Can Google Voice claim the same? (I guess maybe that deal with Sprint they had could count?)

edit: I'm also not saying iMessage is perfect, one of the weird quirks it would have is alerting all of your iMessage-enabled devices at the same time when you received a message, and continuing to do so, even though you answered from one device. I think they've mostly worked that out though and it figures out what device you're chatting on and just starts sending the messages to it. Not to mention the messages carry over from one device to another! (though I hear iMessage on OSX is still a disaster)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options

Pretty much.

I only got it a few months before the SSD.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    The data from the Google Voice app on the market shows 5+ million installs, so somewhere between 5 and 10 million installs from the store. (I *think* 10M is the next round number they report in the data, but don't quote me on that. It might be 20 or something else up there.) This doesn't include a few ways of getting it onto your phone (most notably OEM installs from Sprint). The last time we got hard numbers on Voice users was shortly after Google (re)launched the service in 2009. At that time they had ~ 1.5M users, around 500k of whom used the service every day. A chunk of those were GrandCentral users, probably not a huge number given how long GrandCentral registrations were closed, but we're not exactly sure how many. At that time the service was still invite-only.

Google won't disclose how many of the 50 million Sprint customers took up the Voice offer (specifically stating in at least one interview that they wouldn't disclose the precise number, only that it was large and in line with their expectations).

There are about 35-40 million iPhone users in the U.S. The general number thrown around for iOS5 adoption is 80% worldwide; the number is probably close to that for the U.S. So ~30M people have access to iMessage. There are somewhere between 5M and 60M people who have installed Voice.

Yay for everyone! :) It's worth noting the two apps are very different animals. Voice is, by nature, an unusually sophisticated software PBX. The free messaging is just a side-effect of that. Of course, it means it works with a much broader range of inputs (people who don't have it installed still send me free messages) but those broad inputs also show that Voice isn't running in a tightly-managed uniform application space like iMessage is (you can't send MMSs on all carriers due to dumb MMS standards and proprietary implementations, outgoing international SMSs are tricky because of billing issues in target countries, etc.).

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I totally had a GrandCentral account 8-)

Also I'd be curious how many of those users are actively using Google Voice's features like the multi-device ringing, contact-specific greetings, etc, or was it 'oh it says something about google something, as long as it makes calls okay!'

And your points about texting being an ancillary feature of GV are spot on.

I use it mainly for the voicemail transcription services and the ability to easily export my voicemails. And the ability to mark a caller as Spam? Loooooove it.

And I'm definitely still a Google user, I use the heck out of Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Chrome (including iOS now! I've all but abandoned Safari, and if I could I'd probably set Chrome as my default browser! Another point in Android's favor!) and I administer a Google Apps for Business deployment for work.

And as I've said numerous times in previous tech threads, I have very little experience with the matured Android platform, so take my bits about bootloops and fruitloops with a healthy dose of salt.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options

Pretty much.

Well, dang. It's hard to test everything if you don't have a second build to cycle parts through. Can you still RMA the mobo?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Pretty much.

Well, dang. It's hard to test everything if you don't have a second build to cycle parts through. Can you still RMA the mobo?

Probably, and I do have an alternate mobo but it doesn't like my videocard.

Also it just did it again, with just my HDD.

Weird thing, when I rebooted it didn't do the thing where after the windows logo the video goes out until the logon screen turns on.

I'ma try a memory diag and a VRAM diagnostic overnight.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Artreus wrote: »
    I think the Nexus was like $800 sold unlocked

it's 350 on googles store
    A bit of a problem?

How many of those devices can run Jellybean, or ICS, for that matter?

http://aokp.co/index.php/releases/_/build-40-r26

anything on that list can run build 40 of AOKP which is ICS with a few extra options unlocked

anything earlier than that just doesn't have the hardware/isn't used widely enough to warrant fucking around with it

asking about jellybean is a dumb question, we haven't seen source code for it yet so the only thing running it is the gnex (and that, poorly, because again: hasn't officially been released)

it's like asking what runs iOS whatever-version-is-in-beta

edit: also the device is just old and nobody's buying it anymore and it's EOLed just like with the carrier, they actually announced they're dropping a couple HTC phones and the Fire today

Buttlord on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    also this post was basically an angry tirade about a joke so w/e

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Memtest86 is running. Blah. Gonna let it go overnight now. I really am leaning towards the main board now. Seeing as if my HDD was making weird sounds that would be pretty clear. But it's not. And it's SMART info is still good according to crystal disk info so it is unlikely to be a logical error. I'm gonna see if I have another Sata HDD to try. If no dice its almost certainly the mobo... Or the gpu. So I'll try both to narrow it down.

• Options
    Okay so it takes an hour and a half to run with all the stcks. Now I'm making sure all the sticks boot and make it to test 7 without errors. Uhhg. If it's not the ram I don't know... It's not an error in can easily repeat.

• Options
    Have you tried a fresh install on the ssd without the mechanical drive attached? I'm just throwing out everything I can think of here

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Have you tried a fresh install on the ssd without the mechanical drive attached? I'm just throwing out everything I can think of here

I was going to do that after I get some rest.

I figure, it happened more frequently with the SSD attached, so try with just the SSD and not the HDD and only my old RAM sticks (It never happened till I got the SSD, which is why I blamed it first. At the same time I got 8 more gigs of RAM.)

I'll probably try switching to an older Geforce too just to check that.

So just my 460, 8 gigs of RAM that should be stable, my SSD, and run an MP3 on loop for a few hours to see if I can't get it to freeze (It only happenes when I play music.)

• Options
    Now this one is a bit of a long shot, but have you tried deleting you audio drivers completely and installing the latest ones from your mobo's support page?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    yeah I've done that.

One of the first things I tried.

• Options
    Son of a gun. Have you tried asking it nicely to please just work?

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
This discussion has been closed.