Options

Free will doesn't exist or make sense.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    If there's no free will then shouldn't there be some mathematical formula that can predict the entire history and future of the human race?

Or is there some magical random mechanic that determines my choices (and this mechanic isn't free will because I didn't make the choice, the magical random mechanic did it)?
    Uh... no.

If there's no free will, and there's no magical random mechanic to compensate, then doesn't that leave cause and effect? Cause and effect seems mighty predictable to me.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All choice and will is but outward manifestation of chemistry.
    Chemistry is an expression of genetics and prior knowledge/experience.

Lock criminals up because they are a danger. Lock criminals up because it will deter potential criminals.

But all people really are just hapless slaves to their chemistry.

I really feel like enjoying a blue-berry muffin now.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Right. So let's abolish the criminal justice system, because it's clearly unjust to punish someone for something they had no choice but to do.

Oh wait, we can't, because we don't have the free will to do so. Oh noes, and such.
    What the hell? That's gone beyond strawman and is just haystack - isn't the whole point of the criminal justice system to prevent people from commiting crimes, by you know - giving them a reason not to? Its pretty sure that people aren't going to stick to the rules unless you add some punishment to make them.

Our justice system is at least partly premised on the idea that people are willfully committing these crimes, which is why "temporary insanity" is a viable option. If you're not in control of your actions, the justice system will either let you free (if, say, someone held a gun to your head and forced you to act), or throw you in the loony bin (if you're so fucking whacko that you can't control yourself). The only people who get sent to prison are those who consciously made decisions to commit crimes, or made decisions that result in crimes being committed (say, criminal negligence). If we remove free will from the equation, well, jail ceases to make sense given our currently philosophy. Our only real choice is to just throw everyone in the psych ward.
    Insanity defence makes more sense following determinism though - letting them off (assuming you've prooved insanity) doesn't impact the justice system since the reason they commited these crimes is something other than the usual risk/reward process that most people go through. Hence upping the risk isn't going to do anything anyway other than give the state another mouth to feed.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If there's no free will then shouldn't there be some mathematical formula that can predict the entire history and future of the human race?

Or is there some magical random mechanic that determines my choices (and this mechanic isn't free will because I didn't make the choice, the magical random mechanic did it)?
    Uh... no.

If there's no free will, and there's no magical random mechanic to compensate, then doesn't that leave cause and effect? Cause and effect seems mighty predictable to me.

Emergent behaviour is often effectively unpredictable.

Langdon's ant is a good example of this; it is a simple computer program with a very simple set of rules of a single entity's movement on a board and the patterns it produces with just black and white. We know the rules; however, the end result is impossible to predict without actually running through every step of the rules, and the results have complex and distinct phases even though they are based on simple rules. It seems quite likely that the universe, enormously complex as it is, functions on similar principles if it is entirely deterministic.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Uh... no.

We can fairly reliably predict the behaviours of populations, and somewhat less reliably the behaviours of an individual. This is one of the fundamental pieces of evidence against free will. But because human behaviour largely consists of reactions to stimuli, this magical "formula" you propose would need to be able to predict any and all natural phenomena that might influence our actions, which is virtually impossible.

I mean you are basically asking for a mathematical formula that can predict every particle in the universe.

Azio on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All we have is the illusion of control. Sorry.

Was directly above:
    The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zsetrek wrote: »
    All we have is the illusion of control. Sorry.

Was directly above:
    The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

An intentional mistake, or an inevitable one?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh please.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The real problem is- free will is only exposed as illusory by using the thought experiment of "going back in time, re-setting everything."

Now, things might not actually play exactly the same way each time- there could be some randomness to the universe. This would give us the retroactive illusion of free will, though it would actually just be that our behaviors are locked into probabilities instead of a single inevitable direction.

Even so, we only see the "illusion" for what it is with this thought experiment. Which is interesting.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    That's not my point.

The point is those particles have free will.

_J_ on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Christ this is why pretentious philosophical debate is stupid. I made the conscious choice of getting off my ass to get pizza, and sit back down to type this damn post. As far as I'm concerned I have some freakin free will to do what I want. Whether this is actually true in the grand-uber-reality or not is something I don't give two shits about.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

Uh... no.

We can fairly reliably predict the behaviours of populations, and somewhat less reliably the behaviours of an individual. This is one of the fundamental pieces of evidence against free will. But because human behaviour largely consists of reactions to stimuli, this magical "formula" you propose would need to be able to predict any and all natural phenomena that might influence our actions, which is virtually impossible.

I mean you are basically asking for a mathematical formula that can predict every particle in the universe.
    Predictability =/= no free will. The fact that I like a coffee with breakfast every morning doesn't mean I can't choose tea instead :roll: You people are morons. And Loren, you are so off my christmas card list.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Christ this is why pretentious philosophical debate is stupid. I made the conscious choice of getting off my ass to get pizza, and sit back down to type this damn post. As far as I'm concerned I have some freakin free will to do what I want. Whether this is actually true in the grand-uber-reality or not is something I don't give two shits about.

Except you got off your ass to get pizza as a result of X, and you typed "this damn post" as a result of Y. And you don't give a shit because of Z.

Having the illusion of free will is not the same thing as having free will.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    The fact that I like a coffee with breakfast every morning doesn't mean I can't choose tea instead :roll: You people are morons. And Loren, you are so off my christmas card list.

Right, but the fact that you don't choose tea means that you can't choose tea in the instance in which you do not choose tea.

If you had free will you could always do those things contrary to the things which you do.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The fact that I like a coffee with breakfast every morning doesn't mean I can't choose tea instead

The day that you do will be the direct result of a chemical reaction caused by days of you having coffee every morning. It's sad people cling to the illusion of free will but it doesn't change anything.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Uh... no.

Welcome to physics.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    The fact that I like a coffee with breakfast every morning doesn't mean I can't choose tea instead :roll: You people are morons. And Loren, you are so off my christmas card list.

Right, but the fact that you don't choose tea means that you can't choose tea in the instance in which you do not choose tea.

If you had free will you could always do those things contrary to the things which you do.
    You're claiming that there's no free will because you can't make all the possible choices at once at one point in time? That's completely fucking ridiculous.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

You're claiming that there's no free will because you can't make all the possible choices at once at one point in time? That's completely fucking ridiculous.

No, i'm claiming that there is no free will because all human actions are caused, and that what we do is the result of something.

If we had free will there would be no such thing as causality. The two ideas conflict.

_J_ on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Uh... no.

Predictability =/= no free will. The fact that I like a coffee with breakfast every morning doesn't mean I can't choose tea instead :roll: You people are morons. And Loren, you are so off my christmas card list.
    I never said predictability == no free will, QED. But the fact that we have common behaviours that are verifiably caused, certainly does not favour the idea that somewhere in the human brain is something, some sort of force, a soul if you will, that wills those observably logical, electrochemical reactions to occur in one fashion or another.

Azio on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't really post in D&D but this is a topic that has interested me ever since I took a Philosophy class a few years ago.

Going back to AbsoluteZero's thing about some crazy 'formula' that could predict the outcome of the human race and retell all of human history-

Wouldn't this theoretically be possible to do if you had some arbitrarily powerful mind who had the kind of near-omniscience required to bring all of the innumerable factors together cohesively? Would quantum mechanics make this impossible due to the randomness?

And the people who are saying "I totally just chose to eat some pizza" or "I pick my coffee every morning" are totally missing the point.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

No, i'm claiming that there is no free will because all human actions are caused, and that what we do is the result of something.

If we had free will there would be no such thing as causality. The two ideas conflict.

That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard, and you should be ashamed of even typing it out. Go and think about what you've done :|

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I don't really post in D&D but this is a topic that has interested me ever since I took a Philosophy class a few years ago.

Going back to AbsoluteZero's thing about some crazy 'formula' that could predict the outcome of the human race and retell all of human history-

Wouldn't this theoretically be possible to do if you had some arbitrarily powerful mind who had the kind of near-omniscience required to bring all of the innumerable factors together cohesively? Would quantum mechanics make this impossible due to the randomness?

And the people who are saying "I totally just chose to eat some pizza" or "I pick my coffee every morning" are totally missing the point.

You could only do it after the fact. You need to read up on emergence. Its not me that's missing the point.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007
    How can you say Free Will doesn't exist?

It's a fucking giant whale. It doesn't get more real than a giant fucking whale.

freewillyte7.jpg

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's the great appeal of caustally-indeterminate free will that gets people all excited when it's said not to exist?

I'm happy to not have that kind of free will. And not because is absolves me of any kind of responsibility either. In fact, it's just the opposite. In the end, what am I but a reflexively aware collection of thoughts, memories, preferences and the like? I am responsible for my actions because the things that identify me as an individual are the things that cause my decisions to be made the ways in which they are made. The things that go into creating my predetermined decisions are the most vital aspects of who I am. What kind of help is some crazy coin-tossing mechanism in my brain? What good does it do me?

Grid System on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The problem with the freewill question is it fundamentally asks the nature of what we are at the most basic level.

We are made of atoms interacting together. We have chemistry which allows us to predict how atoms interact. Therefore are we completely predictable?

What is thought? Electrical / ionic impulses? Is thought just as predictable as, say, the workings of a complex computer?

Science help us.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard, and you should be ashamed of even typing it out. Go and think about what you've done :|

That's a great argument.

If your will motivates your actions, what motivates your will? It's pretty clear that your will is motivated by environmental factors and physical causes, in my mind. If you're hungry, you will eat; if you're tired, you sleep; if you disagree, you argue. You want to eat not because your consciousness is free to want to eat, you want to eat because your body needs nutrients.

If your will is not motivated by physical causes and the world around you, then what is the connection between will and world?

Your will is your desires, and your desires are pretty obviously shaped by biology and circumstance.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You could only do it after the fact. You need to read up on emergence. Its not me that's missing the point.

From what I understand of emergence, it's the idea that complex systems can arise over time from a set of simple rules if I'm not mistaken. Honestly I'm not totally clear on what place emergence has in this discussion, maybe you can enlighten me on your perspective.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

From what I understand of emergence, it's the idea that complex systems can arise over time from a set of simple rules if I'm not mistaken. Honestly I'm not totally clear on what place emergence has in this discussion, maybe you can enlighten me on your perspective.

If the workings of the universe are emergent - which they most likely are given how complicated it is - then there is no way to predict what will happen without literally simulating every single particle and packet of energy in the entire universe and all their interactions. This is an absurd notion and is impossible without a computer that is more complex than the universe, according to simulation theory that I've read.. It is also impractical in the same way as Langdon's ant; there is no equation to determine where the ant will end up or the patterns it will end up creating. You can only go through its motions step by step. The only way you can find out what happens in the universe is go through the motions.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Getting rid of criminal justice because it all doesn't matter doesn't make sense either.

So what if the universe was entirely deterministic? Evolutionarily, isn't separation from delinquent/dysfunctional members a survival mechanism? Our justice system should stay in place not because we choose to put people away that do bad things, but because it makes sense to us to put people away that do bad things.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

You realize that all determinism does to the criminal justice system is move more towards behaviorism and further away from psychological humanism, right?

I mean.

This is sort of basic.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

If the workings of the universe are emergent - which they most likely are given how complicated it is - then there is no way to predict what will happen without literally simulating every single particle and packet of energy in the entire universe and all their interactions. This is an absurd notion and is impossible without a computer that is more complex than the universe, according to simulation theory that I've read.. It is also impractical in the same way as Langdon's ant; there is no equation to determine where the ant will end up or the patterns it will end up creating. You can only go through its motions step by step. The only way you can find out what happens in the universe is go through the motions.

Well of course I realize it's insane to think that anything we could conceive could ever actually make these kinds of predictions, which is why I said "theoretically with an arbitrarily powerful, near-omniscient mind". If there were such a mind though, couldn't it just go ahead and simulate out those steps in effect achieving the same result as if it had done the impossibility of predicting it outright in one step?

And to clarify, is emergence being used as leverage against free will not existing or are we only still talking about imaginary universal seers?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    His real name is Keiko - Free Will is a fictional character and thus, still doesn't exist.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well of course I realize it's insane to think that anything we could conceive could ever actually make these kinds of predictions, which is why I said "theoretically with an arbitrarily powerful, near-omniscient mind". If there were such a mind though, couldn't it just go ahead and simulate out those steps in effect achieving the same result as if it had done the impossibility of predicting it outright in one step?

And to clarify, is emergence being used as leverage against free will not existing or are we only still talking about imaginary universal seers?
    Right, we can predict things with magic. But since we live in a universe that doesn't have magic, we can't.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The point is that it is impossible to make those predictions from within our own universe, since it is impossible to make a computer more complex than the universe that contains it. That is the gist of the theory AFAIK. This isn't even taking into account the possibility that quantum events are, in fact, completely random probability functions, and thus it would be impossible to correctly predict them even with that magic computer. Saying "theoretically if we had a magic super device" just makes the rest of the sentence nonsense.

Regardless, emergence is just a side-bar of the determinism thing. People claim that a deterministic universe with no free will can be predicted, but it can't. Doesn't really have much to do with it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moridin wrote: »
    Getting rid of criminal justice because it all doesn't matter doesn't make sense either.

So what if the universe was entirely deterministic? Evolutionarily, isn't separation from delinquent/dysfunctional members a survival mechanism? Our justice system should stay in place not because we choose to put people away that do bad things, but because it makes sense to us to put people away that do bad things.

_J_ has said pretty much everything I wanted to say, to I'll just followup on the criminal justice tangent.

I agree with what you said, but a justice system is also a strong disencentive to pursue harmful action that is illegal. It is an additional factor that contributes to our deterministically not wanting to pursue criminal action.

Cat, I'm probably just retreading over something that was already said, but the problem is that there's no choice behind the choices you make. You may choose to have tea one day, but your choice isn't motivated by anything but, so far as we can tell, your brain and your environment.

I would argue that, even if you have some kind of entity outside that (a soul, say), you're just commiting a homunculus fallacy and the problem doesn't get resolved.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So you're saying, my existence is just my existence and I can only exist with my existence. Interesting.

Hoz on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But surely "free will" is essentially defined as making a decision based off the information presented by our brains, whether or not said information is determined by anything from hormones to quantum flux (or whatnot)?

Or are you trying to put forth the conceptual argument regarding the disparity between the mind and the lump of chemical-sodden muscle we associate with it- as in, that "we're" not making decisions, the brain is? In which case, aren't you diving into a discussion on the nature of self more than free will?

Reminds me of that one quote. "I used to think the brain was the most important part of my body, but look what was telling me that..."

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    But surely "free will" is essentially defined as making a decision based off the information presented by our brains, whether or not said information is determined by anything from hormones to quantum flux (or whatnot)?

Or are you trying to put forth the conceptual argument regarding the disparity between the mind and the lump of chemical-sodden muscle we associate with it- as in, that "we're" not making decisions, the brain is? In which case, aren't you diving into a discussion on the nature of self more than free will?

Reminds me of that one quote. "I used to think the brain was the most important part of my body, but look what was telling me that..."

The question is what people who argue for free will claim it is "free" from.

What constraints are there that our will is free from? What is the difference between free will and constrained will, or lack of will whatsoever?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We're obviously predestined to lock up people who have shown that they're predestined to kill people.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited July 2007
    Interesting discussion fellas.

So, let me get this straight. Free will is not possible when everything we do is based off of the environment, past experience, memories, and emotions (based off of the above)? Free will would require a completely random decision (X) not based off of anything but a blank desire to do X?

Is that pretty much what free will is? Forgive me, I'm sorta new to this idea.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]