As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    Ah!

We don't really have it all that bad here. We have a pretty nice place right downtown. If we moved to the suburbs our rent would be cheaper but the commute would be really tough without a car. Right now I think we're saving quite a bit of money on not having to buy/maintain a car. I'm just not earning as much as I was in Bermuda and the taxes cutting a bunch out of my pay cheque too. Once my wife is bringing home a source of income we'll be doing pretty well. It's just taking some time getting that sorted out.

I have a friend from England who had to wait eight or nine months for his work visa to come through before he was able to start working here. Apparently, Canadians are pretty protective about keeping jobs for Canadians, which is understandable.

I would go pretty crazy not owning a car. After a few days of not driving I get pretty antsy. D:

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    I did spend a lot of time customizing my tumbler with codes and what not to get sections looking good. But I like it because its very intuitive to upload pictures and such.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Ah!

I would go pretty crazy not owning a car. After a few days of not driving I get pretty antsy. D:

Where I live is the opposite, owning a car sucks, parking is TOO expensive, traffic jams all the time, all the semaphores are out of sync ALL of them, and its SO stressing.. driving downtown used to wreck my nervs. But taxi are so cheap, and being downtown everything is relatively near so... I gave up cars like 5 years ago and I havent missed it for a single day (except all those days that rain).

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    PROX wrote: »
    I did spend a lot of time customizing my tumbler with codes and what not to get sections looking good. But I like it because its very intuitive to upload pictures and such.

Just a heads up... Your link in your sig doesn't lead to your tumblr. I found you via copy paste though :)

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Ah!

Where I live is the opposite, owning a car sucks, parking is TOO expensive, traffic jams all the time, all the semaphores are out of sync ALL of them, and its SO stressing.. driving downtown used to wreck my nervs. But taxi are so cheap, and being downtown everything is relatively near so... I gave up cars like 5 years ago and I havent missed it for a single day (except all those days that rain).

Yeah, I live in the burbs. I don't enjoy driving in the city.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ah!

We don't really have it all that bad here. We have a pretty nice place right downtown. If we moved to the suburbs our rent would be cheaper but the commute would be really tough without a car. Right now I think we're saving quite a bit of money on not having to buy/maintain a car. I'm just not earning as much as I was in Bermuda and the taxes cutting a bunch out of my pay cheque too. Once my wife is bringing home a source of income we'll be doing pretty well. It's just taking some time getting that sorted out.

I have a friend from England who had to wait eight or nine months for his work visa to come through before he was able to start working here. Apparently, Canadians are pretty protective about keeping jobs for Canadians, which is understandable.

I don't think you understand NibCrom; If you live in or around the city of Toronto, owning a car is more of a hassle then its worth. There are so many cheaper alternatives to get anywhere and everywhere in that province that most people don't own one. It's considered more or less an "extra" then a requirement.

Now living in Texas, for example, without a car would more or less kill you: it is so expansive and spaced out down here that it is absolutely vital for survival. No wheels means you can't live in a sense.

In Toronto most people don't even have their driver's license :P

EDIT: Also living in Downtown Toronto can be crazy expensive, i'm not really sure what Grifter is talking about. Maybe he worked out a good deal or had connections, but usually it costs well over a grand a month at least to get what would equate to a rathole apartment in the metropolitian area.

Godfather on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    I have 17 badges and 147 points! Suck it down AC!

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ahhh, today marks the day that I no longer can get into museums for free.
    On the plus-side I won't ever have to lie about my age again when some stupid gameplay video asks me about it!.. also, gifts.
    But yeah... no more free museums...
    edit: maybe I was a bit cryptic, I AM NOW 18 YEARS OF AGE! WOOOO

m3nace on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    You's a dirty cheater. I'm missing half the badges I should have.

edit: okay more have appeared but still missing some.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm nervous that there is now an official way in which people can lodge disagreement with my posts.

Edit: Joke failure, since I can't disagree with my own posts.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    How dare you disagree my post cake.

This is unforgivable.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I've been here for eight years???

Fuck absolutely everything

• Options
    me too, lets eat prunes and talk about how lost the new generation is

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    I've been here for eight years???

Fuck absolutely everything

I'm creeping up on 9 :|

• Options
    MEE THREE

• Options
    Ryan, I wanna see your art from 2003

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Ryan, I wanna see your art from 2003
    Oh yes! Do it.
    Oh... and would you look at that, there's disagree agree buttons?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Just for you:
    Shading_Exercise_1.jpg

The first thing I remember posting in the Artist's Corner was a webcomic type of thing. People shit all over it and told me to go draw from life.

rts on
  • Options
    How rude!

• Options
    Yeah, what a bunch of jerks right guys?

• Options
    Thats why I lurked, when I joined the PA forums, I DID have some webcomic type of thing going on, but as far as I remember I never posted it... because.. flames. (and even back then I knew it was crap :D )

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    Nine years is over a third of my life.

Iruka on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Godfather wrote: »
    Ah!

I don't think you understand NibCrom; If you live in or around the city of Toronto, owning a car is more of a hassle then its worth. There are so many cheaper alternatives to get anywhere and everywhere in that province that most people don't own one. It's considered more or less an "extra" then a requirement.

Now living in Texas, for example, without a car would more or less kill you: it is so expansive and spaced out down here that it is absolutely vital for survival. No wheels means you can't live in a sense.

EDIT: Also living in Downtown Toronto can be crazy expensive, i'm not really sure what Grifter is talking about. Maybe he worked out a good deal or had connections, but usually it costs well over a grand a month at least to get what would equate to a rathole apartment in the metropolitian area.

Yeah, I pay over a grand for my place downtown. I would hardly consider this place a rat hole, though. I live steps away from Osgoode station in a one bedroom. The kitchen has granite counter tops and there's a concierge in my lobby. I've lived in a shitty apartment around the corner from Hooker Harvey's at Jarvis and Gerrard when I was a student here. Quite happy to not be worried about crack addicts on my walk home now. These days I just have to worry about drunk douche bags when I go out at night.

• Options
    was the disagree button disabled so fast?... or why cant I disagree ?

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    4 years here, huh? Could have swore it was longer than that, but I forgot how many times I'm changed username / account.

In other news: The nice fella hosting my portfolio website seems to have brought down his domain? Either way, seems I'm out of a website! Shit!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I think new badges have been disabled until we've fully customized them too. Looks like only 118 of us have earned the 9th anniversary badge.

Grifter on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Urgh the boards. Not a huge fan of this particular iteration but I'm hoping they tighten some stuff up.

Do you guys remember when I was whining about that pedant with the screws in my comic...? That dude has never gone away; this week he's complaining about horse gaits, a topic he's plainly unfamiliar with but he can't possibly just let an update slide by without complaining. Why do those people stick around blogs/comics/whatever? Like, if you're for real bothered by X, Y and Z inaccuracy/inadequacy, real or imagined, week in and week out, why don't you just leave and spare yourself the pain and effort of trying to edify the poor benighted pleebs...? Go away and write a scathing review for your 54 Twitter followers but don't just stay forever.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    he probably thinks he's 'helping'. Or is just a massive jerk ... yeah it's the internet. Probably the latter.

• Options
    Seems like he's just pedantic and can't help himself.

• Options
    Ah!

Yeah, I pay over a grand for my place downtown. I would hardly consider this place a rat hole, though. I live steps away from Osgoode station in a one bedroom. The kitchen has granite counter tops and there's a concierge in my lobby. I've lived in a shitty apartment around the corner from Hooker Harvey's at Jarvis and Gerrard when I was a student here. Quite happy to not be worried about crack addicts on my walk home now. These days I just have to worry about drunk douche bags when I go out at night.

The last place I rented from was by Royal York station. I really lucked into something good there, because I got a place that was felt like a mansion compared to the basement deathtrap I was renting the year before, and it was cheaper too! ($600 a month)

There are some great areas downtown, but the closer to the heart of the city, the more you will have to pay. A respectable place that close to downtown could easily cost around 2-3K.

• Options
    Ah!

The last place I rented from was by Royal York station. I really lucked into something good there, because I got a place that was felt like a mansion compared to the basement deathtrap I was renting the year before, and it was cheaper too! ($600 a month)

There are some great areas downtown, but the closer to the heart of the city, the more you will have to pay. A respectable place that close to downtown could easily cost around 2-3K.

Yeah, the rents tend to go up as you approach downtown. There are definitely some good deals here, though. I pay $1500 a month for my place, which isn't very cheap. However, I looked at places for the same price or more and they weren't as nice or as spacious as the place that I'm in right now. I don't think I could live out towards the end of the Bloor line right now. That's just too far away from everything for me. I'm debating on whether we should move out to the Ossington and Queen area since that seems to be a cool neighbourhood. I'll have to have a look around closer to the end of my lease.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Nine years is over a third of my life.

Yeah it's basically the weirdest.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    How much do you guys pay for your domains?

• Options
    rts wrote: »
    Just for you:
    Shading_Exercise_1.jpg

The first thing I remember posting in the Artist's Corner was a webcomic type of thing. People shit all over it and told me to go draw from life.
    Awww that's so cute :P

Frank: ~$10/year for a .com

• Options
    This Strip Search show the PA guys are talking about sounds pretty awesome.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/07/27/strip-search1

I think @squidbunny should try to get in on that action if possible. The grand prize just sounds like it would be incredible.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Urgh the boards. Not a huge fan of this particular iteration but I'm hoping they tighten some stuff up.

Do you guys remember when I was whining about that pedant with the screws in my comic...? That dude has never gone away; this week he's complaining about horse gaits, a topic he's plainly unfamiliar with but he can't possibly just let an update slide by without complaining. Why do those people stick around blogs/comics/whatever? Like, if you're for real bothered by X, Y and Z inaccuracy/inadequacy, real or imagined, week in and week out, why don't you just leave and spare yourself the pain and effort of trying to edify the poor benighted pleebs...? Go away and write a scathing review for your 54 Twitter followers but don't just stay forever.

Naw, the dude is obviously the type who posts only to make himself look smart by pointing out stuff that falls under artistic license, or by going "oh, this looks flawed but on closer inspection it isn't, aren't I clever for not falling into that trap?" and so on.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Sounds just like me!
    I'm horrible

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Ah!

Yeah, the rents tend to go up as you approach downtown. There are definitely some good deals here, though. I pay $1500 a month for my place, which isn't very cheap. However, I looked at places for the same price or more and they weren't as nice or as spacious as the place that I'm in right now. I don't think I could live out towards the end of the Bloor line right now. That's just too far away from everything for me. I'm debating on whether we should move out to the Ossington and Queen area since that seems to be a cool neighbourhood. I'll have to have a look around closer to the end of my lease.

Queen street is the unofficial fashion district of Toronto, with high-end boutiques lining the pavements like they were going out of style. As such the shopping products are very expensive (as well as most apartments available around that area). My old school is actually located near the corner of Queen and Ossington!

https://maps.google.com/maps?aq=f&q=max+the+mutt+animation+school&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

I do remember that area being a little bit shady though, so watch out. There's a mental hospital near that area I think, so anytime I or other students would eat nearby the school on our lunch break we'd usually come across some characters who didn't seem like they were all there in one piece mentally.

Final thing I should say is stay the hell away from any place around the Scarborough or Dundas West subway area. I lived in a shitty basement apartment in the Dundas West area during my first year and almost got knifed on one of my grocery runs there!

Godfather on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    what is this badge madness

7th anniversary omigoodness.

Frank - I get mine for free with my hosting plan.

• Options
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Naw, the dude is obviously the type who posts only to make himself look smart by pointing out stuff that falls under artistic license, or by going "oh, this looks flawed but on closer inspection it isn't, aren't I clever for not falling into that trap?" and so on.

what dude are you talking about?

This discussion has been closed.