As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Everytime somebody makes a post saying "DON'T READ THE COMMENTS", somebody reads the comments.

And that is how suicidal thoughts occur.

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    You can't >not< read the comments after someone says "Don't read the comments' . You would have to have super powers to do that sort of thing.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    God whatever you do, do not read any of the comments in that article.

Isn't that the rule for everything on the internet ever?
    Yes. Generally, the bottom half of the internet is a terrible cesspool of ignorance, bigotry and hate.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    God whatever you do, do not read any of the comments in that article.

Isn't that the rule for everything on the internet ever?
    Yes. Generally, the bottom half of the internet is a terrible cesspool of ignorance, bigotry and hate.

Hey that's an improvement it used to be both halves of the Internet.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    After reading the comments, I have now heard of the idea of the "queerification" movement, wherein LGBT rights groups tried to bolster their power by changing the definition of disorders and groups to make them "queer" issues and thereby weakening gender identity or something? I'm not sure, the ranting was horrible. I'm just curious now if this is actually some sickening movement or some deranged ranting of one woman. Part of me wants to Google it, but I don't want to jump down the rabbit hole again. Last time I did that was when my Anthro Prof and I had a discussion about discourse groups and dysfunction among American culture, specifically alternate interpretation of reality, namely conspiracy theories. He gave me some websites to to read and the amount of alternate viewpoints and crazy left me reeling for awhile. I would rather not go through this again right now (and not have it on my comp), has anyone heard of this bs "queerification" argument before?

Edit: by sickening movement I mean of fundies arguing that their is a conspiracy theory queerification control conspiracy theory movement, not the increasing of LGBT rights.

Edit 2: nevermind about the question, thinking about it it is a conspiracy group, but most of it is just hateful attitudes towards LGBT groups and ignorance, just ignore my question.

never die on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Yes there are actual conservative "gay conspiracy theories" circulating. They have been around for long time, and in part the bad organizations like AFA and Focus on Your Own Fucking Family exist to perpetuate these conspiracy theories, sending out mailers and videos and other propaganda to their supporters.

The ironic thing is that by posting such an elaborate conspiracy theory on the internet, that transwoman (she was a transwoman, not some crazy Chick-Fil-A employee) probably did more to call her own sanity into question than the APA ever did.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Well I guess there is a first time for everything.

I assumed you are Christian because I have never seen a non-Christian so eager to defend the faith from stereotypes that are only mostly-true but not completely true all of the time.

I am not an atheist, but actually a deist. Like most deists I'm culturally Christian, non-religious, and feel like Christ was pretty close to right about everything* but his followers are almost perfect in their ability to get everything wrong ever.

-edit- * in terms of morality of course, not theology

I want to defend it because it'll make our lives better if we can realize they all aren't gunning for us anymore and, simply, I've been really blown away by some of the reactions we got when the Gay Men's Chorus went and sang at some churches.

Granted, I'll always be on guard around anyone who says they're a Christian and I probably will be the rest of my life but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to be.
    You're in a Gay Men's Chorus? That's awesome. Apparently there's a GLBT choral organization? I just learned that recently when looking up something about the Turtle Creek Chorale. I think it's pretty cool that a famous choir from Dallas is a member.

Also, can we talk some more about how Matt Bomer is the culmination of the Gay Agenda to seduce good heterosexual men to sinful gay love? Because hot damn it is very nearly working on me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yes there are actual conservative "gay conspiracy theories" circulating. They have been around for long time, and in part the bad organizations like AFA and Focus on Your Own Fucking Family exist to perpetuate these conspiracy theories, sending out mailers and videos and other propaganda to their supporters.

The ironic thing is that by posting such an elaborate conspiracy theory on the internet, that transwoman (she was a transwoman, not some crazy Chick-Fil-A employee) probably did more to call her own sanity into question than the APA ever did.

The funny thing is they aren't totally wrong. We do want to reclassify ourselves as not a disease. (and have done so) But it's not some sinister plot to turn America gay.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Classy man Pat Robertson: Gay Rights protesters should just shut up until they can produce an ass-baby.
    Pat Robertson has joined the chorus of those condemning Chick-fil-A's pro-LGBT rights protesters, challenging them to "to bring forth a baby from that part of the anatomy which they concentrate on."

As Right Wing Watch reported, the prominent right-wing pundit seemingly mocked the national controversy surrounding the fast food company's proclaimed anti-gay stance on "The 700 Club" yesterday evening. "It’s a chicken sandwich," he noted. "It’s a piece of white meat chicken between two pieces of white bread. It’s also a milkshake. Now we’re going to go have demonstrations over that?"

Calling it "an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman," he then went on to note, "I defy these homosexuals to bring forth a baby from that part of the anatomy which they concentrate on. When that happens I will change everything I'm saying; until that happens, I wish those demonstrators would shut their mouth."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    In non-asshole news, we promoted our first openly gay flag officer today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Right, because the only reason to be in a relationship is to create a baby. That's totally what a sane person thinks.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Right, because the only reason to be in a relationship is to create a baby. That's totally what a sane person medieval feudal lord thinks.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Pat Robertson has joined the chorus of those condemning Chick-fil-A's pro-LGBT rights protesters, challenging them to "to bring forth a baby from that part of the anatomy which they concentrate on."

As Right Wing Watch reported, the prominent right-wing pundit seemingly mocked the national controversy surrounding the fast food company's proclaimed anti-gay stance on "The 700 Club" yesterday evening. "It’s a chicken sandwich," he noted. "It’s a piece of white meat chicken between two pieces of white bread. It’s also a milkshake. Now we’re going to go have demonstrations over that?"

Calling it "an abomination for a man to lie with a man as with a woman," he then went on to note, "I defy these homosexuals to bring forth a baby from that part of the anatomy which they concentrate on. When that happens I will change everything I'm saying; until that happens, I wish those demonstrators would shut their mouth."

So I originally read that whole thing that as coming from Robert Pattinson, and got a whole new level of angry at the Twilight movies.

Melkster on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Did Pat Robertson just ask people to show him their poop?

• Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Right, because the only reason to be in a relationship is to create a baby. That's totally what a sane person medieval feudal lord thinks.

That isn't even what medieval feudal lords thought. Marriage was as much about land deals and political alliances as it was about procreation.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

I think he wanted two people to mix their poop, wait nine months and then show it to him?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

I think he wanted two people to mix their poop, wait nine months and then show it to him?

Can we do anything but oblige him?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I can't imagine it'd look any different than Robertson looking in the mirror, give or take 70 years.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Robertson cited Leviticus again. I say we check him for mixed cloths.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Robertson cited Leviticus again. I say we check him for mixed cloths.

Hope that poly cotton blend is fireproof, Patboy!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Paul Ryan, whom multiple news sources already are reporting will be announced tomorrow morning as Romney's VP running mate, has a 0% rating on LGBT rights from the Human Rights Campaign and a 13% rating on civil rights more generally from the American Civil Liberties Union. He opposes hate crimes protections for LGBT people, opposed allowing gay people in DC to adopt children, and supports a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality.

Like I needed even more inspiration to vote for Obama, no matter what.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I know it's not the worst of what Pat Robertson said, but ...

It's just a sploosh of filling between two chocolate cookies. And some milk. Now we're going to have demonstrations over that?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    They forgot to mention that Paul Ryan actively hates poor people.

Such a fine Christian.

• Options
    This is making the rounds of my friends Facebook walls atm.

It's an entry to 'The Blown Cover' contest from May. Alternate New Yorker covers. So, not real, but still, DAMN, this one is... well..
    chrisgreco3.jpg

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Is that Mitt Romney on tv?

emp123 on
  • Options
    Is that Mitt Romney on tv?

Yes. The point of the drawing is to link Republicanism/conservatism with gay suicide.

Which isn't that much of a stretch, truth be told.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    They forgot to mention that Paul Ryan actively hates poor people.

Such a fine Christian.

Even the Catholic Church thinks so.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm pretty hyped about the first openly gay flag officer. That's pretty solid.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    This is making the rounds of my friends Facebook walls atm.

It's an entry to 'The Blown Cover' contest from May. Alternate New Yorker covers. So, not real, but still, DAMN, this one is... well..
    chrisgreco3.jpg

I...just...wow. That's a powerful cover. I get the message of the cover, but still, I find it difficult to look at.

• Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    Right, because the only reason to be in a relationship is to create a baby. That's totally what a sane person thinks.

Why would anyone engage in such a messy and disconcerting act as sex for any reason other than procreation? It boggles the mind.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I think it's a positive move in that the stigma of it will go away.

And it will be treated as the physical malady it is rather than the mental one.

At least that's my take away.

It's really disgusting to me, as someone who is interested in mental health and has had a mental illness, that people think it is a great thing to unlabel something as a mental illness so that the stigma goes away, without ever stopping to think how terrible it is that labeling something a mental illness automatically confers one of the largest possible stigmas in our society.

It shouldn't matter to anyone except professionals whether or not it is a mental illness. There should not be any stigma to start with.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I think it's a positive move in that the stigma of it will go away.

And it will be treated as the physical malady it is rather than the mental one.

At least that's my take away.

It's really disgusting to me, as someone who is interested in mental health and has had a mental illness, that people think it is a great thing to unlabel something as a mental illness so that the stigma goes away, without ever stopping to think how terrible it is that labeling something a mental illness automatically confers one of the largest possible stigmas in our society.

It shouldn't matter to anyone except professionals whether or not it is a mental illness. There should not be any stigma to start with.

Yes, I agree.

But sadly I don't live in a perfect world so yeah, when something that is not a mental illness is taken out of that stigma I think it's a positive step.

I would love for there to be no stigma over mental illness, but gee thanks for the benefit of the doubt.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's going to be a large headache for electronic medical records now that you can write anything you want instead of the DSM code

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Democratic National Platform (provisional language, could change a bit)
    “We support the right of all families to have equal respect, responsibilities, and protections under the law. We support marriage equality and support the movement to secure equal treatment under law for same-sex couples. We also support the freedom of churches and religious entities to decide how to administer marriage as a religious sacrament without government interference.”

“We oppose discriminatory federal and state constitutional amendments and other attempts to deny equal protection of the laws to committed same-sex couples who seek the same respect and responsibilities as other married couples. We support the full repeal of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and the passage of the Respect for Marriage Act.”

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    It's going to be a large headache for electronic medical records now that you can write anything you want instead of the DSM code

Like when homosexuality was removed?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    No, because we didn't have electronic medical records then.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    No, because we didn't have electronic medical records then.

Well you'd be wrong, because the ICD/DSM codes had plain ol' homosexuality removed. Homosexuality was coded in ICD-9 (1977) and not in ICD-10 (1990). In it's place is "ego-dystonic" homosexuality.

Not being able to code something because there is no longer any code, is kinda the point.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nice to see Madonna breaking the law and it not including threatening her concert goers with a gun.

http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx?id=12666&MediaType=1&Category=22

I'm still really shocked all that shit in St Petersburg isn't talked about more. It's some really frightening crap.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Eastern Orthodox is pretty vehemently anti-gay, and has promoted that sentiment rather ardently into current Russian culture. I don't see anything striking down that legislation any time soon.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fight it. Of course, it is nice to be able to tell the homophobes if they don't like the current gay rights trend they should move to Russia. :D

Magic Pink on