Options

Harry Potter and our Favorite Escapist Fantasy

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Because that's retarded.
    Seriously, if you like fantasy, read Jim Butcher's books. Codex Alera is more of a classic fantasy series, Dresden Files are about Chicago's only professional wizard, who also works as a private investigator. Fun stuff.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This had a severe lack of Neville.

I love that guy. Especially after book five or six, or whenever it was when we found out about his parents.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    This had a severe lack of Neville.

I love that guy. Especially after book five or six, or whenever it was when we found out about his parents.

found out in four, saw them in five
    i was expecting him to be a badass in six, but nope
    i was so happy when he was in this book

also, wiggin, why would you go into harry potter threads just to troll
    i mean, seriously, are you that desperate for attention
    you even went in to the harry potter forum to bitch about it
    just shut the hell up already, FUCK. ughhh

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Because that's retarded.
    Seriously, if you like fantasy, read Jim Butcher's books. Codex Alera is more of a classic fantasy series, Dresden Files are about Chicago's only professional wizard, who also works as a private investigator. Fun stuff.

Congratulations. You dislike Harry Potter.

The exit to the thread is thataway ->.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I feel kind of indifferent about the book and the ending. I felt that even though the book was really long, it didn't do a lot of stuff. It seems to me that more happened in shorter books.

I liked it and all, but there isn't this monumental sense that I finished anything.

Oh, well. There's always Potter 8.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    At the risk of being ironic...

GODDAMMIT, WIGGIN.
    Loved everything except for the epilogue. Bring on Book 7.5.

Also, I bought the OotP game for the Wii, so you can cast the spells.

You don't have to say the words, but I do anyway.
    I am really not as lonely and lame as I seem.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This girl told me the ending of the new book today.

She said her aunt read it and told her.

If I wasn't trying to play Guitar Hero on expert mode I would have rocked her shit so hard.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I feel kind of indifferent about the book and the ending. I felt that even though the book was really long, it didn't do a lot of stuff. It seems to me that more happened in shorter books.

I liked it and all, but there isn't this monumental sense that I finished anything.

Oh, well. There's always Potter 8.

it didn't
    wait what
    let me start listing off things that are great about this book
    1. The scene with the seven harrys all being under attack almost immediately. When Hedwig died, I was like OH SHIT. it totally set up the feeling that this book they will be HUNTED like DOGS
    2. the wedding. "Scrimgeour is dead. The Ministry has fallen. They are coming." seriously one of the most powerful lines. Just the ensuing chaos of it all.
    3. THEY BREAK INTO MOTHERFUCKING GRINGOTTS AND THEY RIDE OUT ON A DRAGON.
    4. Dobby saves them. And then dies. :(
    5. nagini being decapitated by neville. with gryfindor's sword no less.
    6. Molly weasley. Nuff said.
    7. McGonnagal. HELL YES.
    8. Dumbledore is revealed to be an asshat, and Snape is shown that he actually does have a heart. His death scene is so powerful.
    9. Harry finally being awesome at the showdown with Voldemort. "Oh hey, yeah, I guess you could attack. It won't work, but I mean, go ahead. Make my day."

and so much more.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved the book.
    I was so sure Sirius was going to come back. I mean, he was the only character who died in such a nebulous fashion.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    nah, she said pretty often that he wasn't going to

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome book, a few minor annoyances like:
    So Tonks and Lupin are dead. I discovered this when Lupin became reanimated as a result of the stone. This would have probably been better served with a little more exposition.

Also, Scorpius. Yes, I know it's in keeping with the Malfoy family naming conventions. But why does he have to sound like a bad Bond villain?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone else think of Ellen Ripley in that final duel?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone else think of Ellen Ripley in that final duel?

You mean
    'Get away from her you BITCH!'? Because yeah, that was my first thought.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    vsove wrote: »
    So Tonks and Lupin are dead. I discovered this when Lupin became reanimated as a result of the stone. This would have probably been better served with a little more exposition.

Also, Scorpius. Yes, I know it's in keeping with the Malfoy family naming conventions. But why does he have to sound like a bad Bond villain?
    When those people died, I was like "What? Who cares?

Regarding Snape:
    I fucking called that shit in book six. Not the specifics, but I knew he wasn't really evil. I suppose the reason why he did what he did was new. Also, I was kind of bugged by the brevity the Snape/Lily relationship was treated with. In fact all of the hook-ups bugged me. They just happened. I remember waiting for six books for these bigs moments where these people got together, and it was just kind of assumed in book Seven.

Whatever. Nitpicks.

And the dragon was pretty cool, even though I was just thinking, "This is going to look really nice in the movie."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    i wasnt really torn up about
    tonks and lupin
    i mean, why would you care when
    fred died :(:(:(:(

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    tonks and lupin

Oh,
    I wasn't too upset about their deaths. Just, y'know, it'd be nice to know that they died by actually saying something more than in passing.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I had that same gripe. There are only so many vaguely-evil names which are also constellations. But still.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    tonks and lupin
    I didn't care about most of these people because I haven't read about them in two years and I didn't see too much of them in this book. Not to mention the bad things all happened off screen...so to speak.
    I would have liked something more than, "Looks like everyone you loved died five minutes ago, didn't I mention?" or "Yeah, they lived. Crazy, huh?"

If I have one complaint, it's that there was too much of the main trio. I know, they're the main characters, but the other books were full of all of these minor plot points. There was some of that in the beginning of this one though that faded away and then we just worried about main quest non-stop. That got tiresome.

I guess it wouldn't be appropriate to fuss about house elves or quidditch or whatever when they have to kill Magi-Hitler.

But still.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    the character i mentioned had an on-screen death

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I demand entire chapters dedicated to every dead character, so I won't forget.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    i would be crying throughout the entire chapter of that characters death if that ever happened :(

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Even if it happened when Harry was present, they didn't spend enough time on it for me to notice or gather facts about it. It sucked when it happened, but outside of a couple of sentences, that was all she wrote.

It kind of read like she was just trying to get rid of as many characters as possible before the end.
    I felt worse for the owl than anyone else.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah that one was a shock
    i did NOT expect that one

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shit was uncalled for.

And,
    What the fuck was that baby? Was that Voldie's soul? All I could think about was that it was like something out of a Cormac McCarthy book.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shit was uncalled for.

And,
    What the fuck was that baby? Was that Voldie's soul? All I could think about was that it was like something out of a Cormac McCarthy book.
    that was the bit of voldemort's soul that was killed. also! the body voldemort had before his adult body in GoF if you remember. he was a baby!

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh yeah.

Harry Potter: Slayer of Small Children.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Harry Potter erotic fan fiction.

Reader Comments. 24 comments.

jkottke says:. "wherein Professor Snape is fellated by the Sorting Hat"

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stale, man, I'm fucking worried about you.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think the sorting hat has a mouth.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, I thought he fellated the Sorting Hat.

This makes much more sense.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    RiotcowRiotcow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys, I don't know what a lot of you think, but the epilouge pretty much destroys the chance of their being another Harry Potter book.

Riotcow on
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, come on, there's always time for another Harry Potter book.

Actually, I'd kill for a Luna Lovegood novel.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Riotcow wrote: »
    Guys, I don't know what a lot of you think, but the epilouge pretty much destroys the chance of their being another Harry Potter book.

Yes, because nothing interesting can occur in a 19 year period.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Harry Potter Book 8: Harry sits on the couch and scratches his ass
    Harry Potter Book 9: goddamn it Ginny, where's my fucking dinner

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Harry Potter Book 67: Get Off My Damn Lawn

Hunter on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Because that's retarded.

Congratulations. You dislike Harry Potter.

The exit to the thread is thataway ->.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Harry Potter. I'm just saying, these are also good books.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only thing I disliked about the ending was that it didn't say what the fuck Harry ended up doing for the past nineteen years.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    Riotcow wrote: »

i wasn't a big fan of the epilogue

I mean, it was nice in a cheesy way

but I would've liked to see the immediate effects of voldemort's death instead of 19 years later

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    She only needed to post children, children's names and pairings so fanfics didn't speculate/mess with those

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The only thing I disliked about the ending was that it didn't say what the fuck Harry ended up doing for the past nineteen years.

Well, with all those kids, we do know who he was doing.

Hunter on